• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not necessarily with dragging Blizzard for this, but what's with all the pushback from fans? Blizzard introduces new heroes to Overwatch all the time. Just make one a black woman. it's not hard,the world seems designed to put in anything you want. As always, the more fantastical your setting the less plausible it is for there not to be black people present lol.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I agree with the general praise for Overwatch's representation, it was so nice to see an actual Irish person speaking the Irish language represented which is something I've never seen in a game before. They really have covered a broad spectrum of characters from diverse backgrounds and there's many more to come.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Dismissing other members' concerns about representation, History of similar behavior
The one thing people don't have right now is the one thing they will be Outraged they don't get.

Overwatch has a very diverse cast, multiple POC, multiple Ethinicities, multiple backgrounds spread over 21 characters. Tracer, the literally poster girl of the game is a LGBT character. Not only Overwatch has all these elements to it, they all are done well. Overwatch is 2 years old, let them get to it. People should be celebrating all the things this game has done right instead of focusing on the thing it has not done right yet.

I mean, for fucks suck if you wanna complain for the sake of complaining go check League Of Legends or DOTA's female roster. Older games with larger rosters and waaaay more problems than Overwatch's cast, which are actually totaly fine as it is right now, And since they have given no indiciation of misstep or slowing down... there really is no reason to make it a issue where there is none right now.

Oct 29, 2017
And they (or some people) will always find things to complain or being disappointed about. No matter what you do, some people just want that.

Okay, as a fact, it's true, no black woman. Is it bad? Is it something to be disappointed baout? With this diverse cast I don't think so, or at least I wouldn't be. There are so many nations and ethnic backgrounds representated that I wouldn't be disappointed. It's more like, "hey, you know what character they could add in future? A black woman, maybe someone like Domino from Deadpool 2, would be awesome – badass, charming, gets the job done, and maybe some crazy luck-skills."
What's your race + sex? I'm sure that answer willl have something to do with why you wouldnt be disappointed.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
legit I'm disappointed in Ashe. a super generic character, down to being a markslady like Ashe from League. Down to the white hair.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing people don't have right now is the one thing they will be Outraged they don't get.

Overwatch has a very diverse cast, multiple POC, multiple Ethinicities, multiple backgrounds spread over 21 characters. Tracer, the literally poster girl of the game is a LGBT character. Not only Overwatch has all these elements to it, they all are done well. Overwatch is 2 years old, let them get to it. People should be celebrating all the things this game has done right instead of focusing on the thing it has not done right yet.

I mean, for fucks suck if you wanna complain for the sake of complaining go check League Of Legends or DOTA's female roster. Older games with larger rosters and waaaay more problems than Overwatch's cast, which are actually totaly fine as it is right now, And since they have given no indiciation of misstep or slowing down... there really is no reason to make it a issue where there is none right now.
"Damn, this bagel shop doesn't have cinnamon raisin bagels today. I'm disappointed."

"Woah woah woah! This bagel shop has a very diverse selection of bagels! It even has the fucking rainbow bagel dude! I mean for fucks sake are you just gonna complain just for the sake of it"

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
legit I'm disappointed in Ashe. a super generic character, down to being a markslady like Ashe from League. Down to the white hair.

Except they look nothing alike outside of the white hair. Caitlyn's the marksman in that game.

Ashe is just Sylvannas with a slight design change since Guinsoo stole most of the early assets from DOTA.

uh

They're both marksman in terms of class. That's what they're called, they used ranged weaponry.

And you're right, ashe looks like a combo of Ashe and Caitlyn?

bbfp.gif

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they look nothing alike outside of the white hair. Caitlyn's the marksman in that game.

Ashe is just Sylvannas with a slight design change since Guinsoo stole most of the early assets from DOTA.

uh

They're both marksman in terms of class. That's what they're called, they used ranged weaponry.

And you're right, ashe looks like a combo of Ashe and Caitlyn?

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Like others have said, Overwatch has a lot of diversity. More than most games I'd say.

It's simply impossible to make everyone happy. People need to realize this.

There are also other races and ethnicities that aren't represented in Overwatch, but you don't see them complaining.

In fact, there are a lot of races and ethnicities not represented in games at all.

It is unrealistic to expect Blizzard to add every single race and ethnicity in the game. Blizzard has done a good job with its diverse cast of heroes.

Came to post this. I will be happy if/when we get a black woman hero but being angry with overwatch of all games because of representation...

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
would be disappointing
Then we have different perceptions of the term 'disappointing'. Okay.

What's your race + sex? I'm sure that answer willl have something to do with why you wouldnt be disappointed.
Race? I don't know, but I'm German, male. I wouldn't be disappointed if there were no Reinhardt. I also wouldn't be disappointed when there weren't any men; in fact I like to play women in video games anyways. I'm not disappointed that some and ever more games don't offer me the option to play male protagonist (or a German, in that regard of my background).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orisa is very clearly coded as a black woman, just as the other omnics are coded as various nationalities and ethnicities. I think it's a stretch to say that she isn't. That doesn't mean that Overwatch can't have two black women characters, but I would consider Orisa the first.
I agree with this, but I get why people want a character that actually looks like a black woman rather than just representing a black woman(considering her identity is tied tightly toEfi).

uiKfJzql.png

I think we'll get one in time. I don't think Blizz is actively avoiding adding one or anything like that. OW heroes have a great track record so far of being diverse in their origin, respectful of their cultures, and reflective of a more ideal world.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Then we have different perceptions of the term 'disappointing'. Okay.

Race? I don't know, but I'm German, male. I wouldn't be disappointed if there were no Reinhardt. I also wouldn't be disappointed when there weren't any men; in fact I like to play women in video games anyways. I'm not disappointed that some and ever more games don't offer me the option to play male protagonist (or a German, in that regard of my background).

It's more that African women as a whole are underrepresented in video games (especially as playable characters).

In contrast to lets say white male playable characters.

Given Overwatches diversity it is disappointing that an playable African woman hasn't been made yet.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more that African women as a whole are underrepresented in video games (especially as playable characters).

In contrast to lets say white male playable characters.

Given Overwatches diversity it is disappointing that an playable African woman hasn't been made yet.
There are two playable African women

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
I wonder what a black woman would think if some people told her "of course you have representation, look at that robot that doesn't even look human!"
(I have nothing against Orisa, but come on...)

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It would certainly be nice. We aren't some small unknown group.Even nicer if she's black and has a hairstyle that's not an Afro. Pls.

I wonder what a black woman would think if some people told her "of course you have representation, look at that robot that doesn't even look human!"

It's so annoying. We get looked over a lot in these things.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah that's not the same at all. Nobody can look at that character and go "looks like me".

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
It would certainly be nice. Even nicer if she's black and has a hairstyle that's not an Afro. Pls.

Unfortunately you're getting one of two hairstyles: Afro or braids. Maybe bald if you're lucky.

To be fair I kind of like the idea of Orisa being her own unique altruistic AI. Efi inside Orisa would have been alright but it's kind of already done between DVa and Hammond. Efi being an AI-coding prodigy is just neater imo anyways.

I just wanted them to have the moxy to let a kid in a robot suit get shot by rockets and blown up by a tire bomb.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orisa is technically that character. They shoulda had the guts to put the kid inside of her.
I kind of like the idea of Orisa being her own unique altruistic AI/consciousness. Efi inside Orisa would have been alright but it's kind of already done between DVa and Hammond. Efi being an AI-coding prodigy is just neater imo anyways.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
But how to prioritise then? I mean, they can't add heroes on a monthly or quarterly basis. Someone will always be feel 'left behind' until they add, over time and maybe eventually, every ethnicity possible.

for the sake of argument, how do you define the word?
Maybe it's used differently in English—I've learned that in regards of the word 'respect', as in "Sony doesn't respect its history" or something similar, which you would never say in my language—or maybe it's a personal thing. But 'dissapointment' is when you're hopes (or what you expect of something or someone) are crushed and you are filled with grief and sorrow. In regard of that definition I would think it is an overreaction.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's used differently in English—I've learned that in regards of the word 'respect', as in "Sony doesn't respect its history" or something similar, which you would never say in my language—or maybe it's a personal thing. But 'dissapointment' is when you're hopes (or what you expect of something or someone) are crushed and you are filled with grief and sorrow. In regard of that definition I would think it is an overreaction.
that not how I use the word at all lol at least I wouldn't attach grief and sorrow to it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get that people are disappointed but there's no doubt that they'll introduce one in the future and overall does the game a pretty good job with women of color. Like when was the last time there was an Indian heroine or an Egyptian one?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissive of concerns about diversity and inclusion, a history of infractions.

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
I read a tweet from Austin Walker a few hours ago and thought of making a similar thread.

Blizzard's Team 4 could and should improve representation and I truly hope they add a black woman character (like Ashe's concept art, for example) in the near future, but at the same time the game/universe has one of the most diverse character roster I can recall, so I don't understand the strong reactions. Just glancing over Twitter:

"[...] Blizzard is consistently terrible at this shit."

"It definitely feels like Blizzard is getting a pass that they shouldn't. I'm a fan of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and especially Overwatch, but I think this issue of cultural and racial insensitivity is way more important than whether D4 is in development."

"this piece is amazing and still hits so hard on all the diversity cues that Blizz is missing"

Cultural and racial insensitivity? Yikes.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that people are disappointed but there's no doubt that they'll introduce one in the future and overall does the game a pretty good job with women of color. Like when was the last time there was an Indian heroine or an Egyptian one?
I mean one can admit that yes the game has done a good job with women of color and be disappointed that there isn't any Black Women character in the game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
But how to prioritise then? I mean, they can't add heroes on a monthly or quarterly basis. Someone will always be feel 'left behind' until they add, over time and maybe eventually, every ethnicity possible.

Some will always feel left out, and this time it's women who are black or people who'd like to see black women playable in the game. There's nothing to get up in arms about this response, yet here we are.

Your bristling at learning some people
want this from the game is baffling, but a common phenomenon. This level of ... concern seems to only be present when it comes to people voicing desire for representation in games. If someone said they wanted a character that had a hippie aesthetic, or they wanted a level that has a beach theme, no one would rush into the thread and say "not everyone is going to get what they want—how can Blizzard prioritize these elements in order to please everyone???? It's impossible!"

And are there degrees of emotion in German? Or is it always a matter of extremes? Can someone be mildly disappointed, or is there no way to describe anything less than crushing despair?

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not necessarily with dragging Blizzard for this, but what's with all the pushback from fans? Blizzard introduces new heroes to Overwatch all the time. Just make one a black woman. it's not hard,the world seems designed to put in anything you want. As always, the more fantastical your setting the less plausible it is for there not to be black people present lol.
Indeed. The pushback is quite odd. People seem to be acting like a black woman character is a completely random request, on par with I don't even know, asking for a character that was born in Antarctica or something based in some of these responses I'm seeing. Whereas of course there's absolutely nothing random about it, given we ain't talking about some obscure nationality or anything, but just the skin color of millions of women across the world.

The pushback also seems to ignore a lot of the context. Like reading through the stuff in the OP, I had no idea about it since I don't usually get into anything revolving around the lore or the history of the characters or anything, but it seems to be the case that Blizzard has contemplated making multiple characters black women at certain points in the designing and planning phase, only to decide against it each and every time. That's the kinda thing that makes this stuff sting, them thinky about it but just happening to pass over that particular option multiple times now.

Add onto that the characters that they have added in the time since the game's released, including stuff like a freakin' hamster of all things, and yeah, that together with there being designs for black women heroes that were scrapped, if I were a black woman, being a lower priority than stuff like that wouldn't exactly be the best feeling in the world, that's for sure (though unfortunately not very surprising either since another piece of the puzzle is just how few playable unambiguously black women characters there are in games).

Of course, nonetheless, Overwatch does have a very diverse set of characters, especially compared to lots of other AAA games. But bringing that up only serves to highlight the discrepancy all the MORE, not less. Because Overwatch has this diverse group of characters! Wonderful (and indeed it is)!

But then at the same time, doesn't it make it all the more odd that they're missing something so fundamental and basic, like an unambiguously black woman character. Given that we ain't exactly talking about something rare here in real life, but rather the skin color of millions upon millions of women, the fact that Blizzard has so many characters in Overwatch now, that it indeed does have such a diverse cast makes the absence of such a character kind of more odd if anything, not less.

It really couldn't serve as a better demonstration of how low a priority something like having representation for the skin color and ethnicity of millions of women in the world appears to be, especially with the context of it being something Blizzard's considered but just happened to pass up each time

So putting that all together, not just one piece of it, bit putting it all together like the articles in the OP does, it definitely does seem like it's high past time for their to be a playable unambiguously black woman character in Overwatch but as disappointing as the pushback is, it also isn't really surprising in any way.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I read a tweet from Austin Walker a few hours ago and thought of making a similar thread.

Blizzard's Team 4 could and should improve representation and I truly hope they add a black woman character (like Ashe's concept art, for example) in the near future, but at the same time the game/universe has one of the most diverse character roster I can recall, so I don't understand the strong reactions. Just glancing over Twitter:

"[...] Blizzard is consistently terrible at this shit."

"It definitely feels like Blizzard is getting a pass that they shouldn't. I'm a fan of Warcraft, Diablo 3, and especially Overwatch, but I think this issue of cultural and racial insensitivity is way more important than whether D4 is in development."

"this piece is amazing and still hits so hard on all the diversity cues that Blizz is missing"

Cultural and racial insensitivity? Yikes.

Blizzard is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Overwatch is clearly their most progressive game, but it's also a flashpoint for criticism when it comes to progressive representation.

It's a work in progress but no matter what they do some group will be upset that it wasn't their "turn" yet to get represented. Or worse, a character is confirmed to not align with what a group interprets.

Yeah because a brown outlaw robbing and killing people along the southern border of the US would go over super well in the current political climate.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding race, dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity, trolling
I'm all for representation, but not for representation sake. This should not be a tick box exercise.

Equally I could say I'm disappointed about the lack of half English/Scottish LGBT. How do Blizzard prioritise and cover al bases. An impossible task.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This forum shows their ass literally every single time black women are the subject. People out here saying a robot is visually the same as a black woman and black women would only be put in for "represenation's sake".

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because a brown outlaw robbing and killing people along the southern border of the US would go over super well in the current political climate.
Exactly what I was going to post. If Ashe's background story was already set, I can see why they didn't want her to be a black woman. They already get shit on constantly for Reyes and Doomfist.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for representation, but not for representation sake. This should not be a tick box exercise.

Equally I could say I'm disappointed about the lack of half English/Scottish LGBT. How do Blizzard prioritise and cover al bases. An impossible task.
Ah yes the impossible task of putting a black woman in a video game

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Overwatch is clearly their most progressive game, but it's also a flashpoint for criticism when it comes to progressive representation.

It's a work in progress but no matter what they do some group will be upset that it wasn't their "turn" yet to get represented. Or worse, a character is confirmed to not align with what a group interprets.

Why do you believe it's an unwinnable situation, as if the only way to succeed is to do it 100% perfectly, and anything less is abject failure? Blizzard can have a really well put together, diverse cast of characters, and they can be one of the best in the business in that regard. They also have areas they can improve in.

Being good or the best at something doesn't mean you're perfect, and it doesn't absolve you of facing criticism. In fact, it's that Blizzard has generally been good about diversity and that they clearly strive for it that makes people believe discussing the matter is worthwhile. No one is going to discuss how Custer's Revenge could have done better at having more mindful diversity and better treatment of its subject matter because it never even tried in the first place.

Why do you characterize the entire discussion as being so extreme?

Ah yes the impossible task of putting a black woman in a video game

Yup, completely unfeasible. A shame really, but it can't be helped.

btw have you seen the playable sapient hamster in a mecha hamster ball

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

I forgot how much harder it is to make black women over Hamsters. Glad we got that Hamster reprensation over with though.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
And are there degrees of emotion in German? Or is it always a matter of extremes? Can someone be mildly disappointed, or is there no way to describe anything less than crushing despair?
Yes, there are degrees. You'd do exactly what you did: add an adjective beforehand.
If someone said they wanted a character that had a hippie aesthetic, or they wanted a level that has a beach theme, no one would rush into the thread and say "not everyone is going to get what they want—how can Blizzard prioritize these elements in order to please everyone???? It's impossible!"
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Orisa was reconstructed by Efi Oladele, a sub-Saharan African girl from Numbani. Orisa is voiced by Cherrelle Skeet, a sub-Saharan African voice actress.

Farrah and Ana are both North African, specifically Egyptian.

I can't speak to Sombra's ethnography.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This forum shows their ass literally every single time black women are the subject. People out here saying a robot is visually the same as a black woman and black women would only be put in for "represenation's sake".

Really pathetic if you ask me. It's not just black women, its any topic dealing with black people. I mean look at the topic about black people not being in Smash. There are people in there suggesting that Mr. Game n Watch is considered a black character. Whats even funnier on here is when a white person is trying to tell a black person what are the requirements to be black. In the eyes of the white man, especially in the USA, if you aren't white, you are black and it doesn't matter where you are from.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
User Banned (5 Days): History of characterizing concerns surrounding inclusivity as insincere
Why do you believe it's an unwinnable situation, as if the only way to succeed is to do it 100% perfectly, and anything less is abject failure? Blizzard can have a really well put together, diverse cast of characters, and they can be one of the best in the business in that regard. They also have areas they can improve in.

Being good or the best at something doesn't mean you're perfect, and it doesn't absolve you of facing criticism. In fact, it's that Blizzard has generally been good about diversity and that they clearly strive for it that makes people believe discussing the matter is worthwhile. No one is going to discuss how Custer's Revenge could have done better at having more mindful diversity and better treatment of its subject matter because it never even tried in the first place.

Why do you characterize the entire discussion as being so extreme?

Because the discussion is never made in good faith. Social media has made these types of discussions go from 'hey they do this to could improve' to 'they're being bigots for not doing this specific thing.'

Hell, in another Overwatch thread we had a poster try to bring up Genji and Hanzo's "racist accents" despite one VA being native Japanese and the other being Japanese American.

It's just become exhausting to have these conversations when people are so quick to go straight for the throat. I don't blame those who are upset over representation, what they feel are their real feelings. I just don't feel like the conversation will ever lead to anything better than "let's drag these people for this thing."

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Junior phase account, dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity efforts, inflammatory drive-by post
Blizzard doesn't necessarily have an obligation to do anything. If they envisioned As he as a young white woman then so be it. It is their choice.

Silly controversy - Overwatch has lots of diversity already.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Blizzard is not above criticism dude. Stop

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissing other members' concerns about representation
Lol this is just ridiculous, people literally wanna make a big deal about everything these days. But I agree I'm all for a diverse cast. Hell I think it's cool we have more female protags nowadays.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Muslims can't be black and Egypt isn't Africa? Was this written be a white person?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are degrees. You'd do exactly what you did: add an adjective beforehand.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Why assume it's "wracked with despair and suffering" level of disappointment then? It's as if you're attempting to exaggerate how people feel about this matter, and then use that as justification to dictate and police their feelings, which seems ridiculous.

And do you not see how irrelevant and condescending it would be to state something as obvious as "Blizzard can't do everything" in response to someone saying they'd like to see a hippie-themed character or beach level in the game? People want things in games, especially when that something (in this case: diverse representation of cultures/ethnicities in the playable cast) has precedence.

This isn't a case of people wanting things like full environmental destruction or a dating sim mode that aren't already present in the game and aren't things that the devs have prioritised. This is wanting a character with a certain background/nationality/appearance alongside an already diverse cast.

What actually is your problem with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.