• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently making my way through Origins after completing Odyssey last month and it got me thinking that a future one set in northern europe could be great.

They already have a lot of good groundwork for that setting, like the boats and melee finishers. There is/was apparently concept art for one called Assassin's Creed Ragnarok posted by an artist working at Ubisoft Milan.

Assassins-Creed-Ragnarok-concept-art-1080x556.jpg.webp
Assassins-Creed-Ragnarok-concept-art-Vikings.jpg.webp

Take me to Valhalla, Ubisoft.

tumblr_odps5eJ5kC1s9w8noo1_500.gif

What say you, Era?

PS: I know we all want japan/china but this is assuming that's not happening (yet).

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be dope, and honestly I'd prefer it to Japan/China. Give me a badass shieldmaiden protagonist and some cool snowy landscapes and I'm in.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I get shit to climb and fools to kill, im fine with all setings . But yeah Viking settings can be great .
I also feels somewhere in Mesopotamia is natural settings for a good AC entry .

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a Japanese AC first and then we can talk about a Vikings AC.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
My dream Assassins Creed settings were always Victorian London/Ancient Egypt and I got both those games in a row so was pretty happy.Vikings would probably be my next favorite setting(along with Japan but Sucker Punch look like they have that covered).

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Space Vikings maybe. I wouldn't mind a futuristic setting mixed with some old world designs.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Not particularly excited, but then I didn't care for Odyssey's setting much either. Quests, combat and Kassandra pull me through.

I'd really rather an Asian setting tbh.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Imperial or Roman Republic first IMO. After that I'd honestly like to see them tackle the ubaid period during the copper age.
Aside from that though, Carolingian Europe or Rome during the crisis of the third century could be interesting. Carolingian Europe would be especially fun since it's a fairly underrepresented period since most games are set in the late middle ages or near the end of the high middle ages.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played plenty of Viking or Viking-ish settings already. I'd take China, Japan, India, Mesoamerica, Africa, Russia, or the Mongol Empire above another Viking game.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for a vikings game, only if it includes an Assassin / Templar for a protagonist. Odyssey disappointed me greatly in this regard.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Vikings would be fun, but western mythology and architecture has been worn out a bit by the franchise. Give me China or Japan. Baffling that they haven't done it yet (and did Colonial America of all fucking places).

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down with any new setting rarely depicted in an open world game, really. Though if pressed I'd prefer something out of Europe because we've got five games set there already.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
A Viking setting would work for an RPG AC, but the further away the series gets from urban settings and assassinations, it's like what is even the point of making it an AC game?

They need to have an Abstergo spin-off series for people who want Assassin's Creed without assassins.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
From Greek mythology to Norse mythology... I've seen that shift somewhere before.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't mind this. Give me that Vikings theme intro too.

Pulling for an Asian country though.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't like the aesthetic of vikings in most fiction, and I'd really prefer a AC game in the middle to late (Western) Roman Empire.

However...I think vikings would be perfect for Assassin's Creed's current gameplay loop! I have two historical scenarios involving the medieval scandinavians that I think would make excellent video games
Information
The struggle between Alfred of Wessex and Guthrum of the Danelaw

Ship battles across the british isles! war and skirmishes! vassals and warlords to fight and assassinate!

Information
The Varangian Guard of the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire

They served as bodyguards for the emperors, marines for the navy, and police during times of treason and conspiracy. Perfect for naval combat, group combat, and the palace intrigue of Constantinople can lend itself well to the templars and assassins propping up emperors who would serve their respective goals. I checked the wiki, and the assassin's guild in constantinople began during the rule of the latins. So maybe in this game, you'd play as a varingian who hasn't really decided if he is for the ideals of the templars or assassins. A mechanic could be a sort of moral system and fighting in the wars that in real life led to the Nicean Empire taking Constantinople.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
I think AC needs a shift from its deserts and lush mediterrainian look. AC Vikings sounds perfect cover me with snow and fox pelts and give me my axes back. AC Vikings sounds perfect. I mean who doesnt love a Viking story.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Note, as of the last two AC games, we need to take into account the folklore of the area as they'll include those as boss fights.