• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe I picked up Watson all those weeks ago just to hold him for this week and then left him on the bench bc I got suckered into the Home Drew Brees schtick...oh well, hopefully Lindsay and D. Williams can score 21 points more than Baldwin...

I also contemplated sitting Barkley for Jamaal Williams but didn't because the Jets were at home and Williams didn't do much earlier in the season when Jones was out.

To top it off I also picked up CJ Anderson and held him on the bench so no one else could get him.

Today I learned that you have to take the bull by the horns if you are going to win a league...I had even written myself off bc my opponent had Gurley, McCaffrey, Ebron and Adams on his team.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I started Rivers over Foles, had a shot of winning the playoffs had I started Foles and I WAS TOP SEED!

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I need 50 points between Mahomes, D. Williams, and Lockett in tonights game, 6 pt passing TD, .5 ppr with KR/PR yards for Lockett. Amazingly, ESPN live projections have us literally .1 point apart.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahead by 3 points.
I have Mahomes, Hill and Williams playing now.
Lindsay playing tomorrow.
He has Wilson and Kelce.

I'm tempted to call it, but my coworker made that mistake with me last week and was hilariously fucked by Cam Newton in the Monday game after being like 10 points ahead. Thank you for that Kamara.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Went for the CJ Anderson glory play, but still lost 122-108 thanks to a bagel from Brate and my opponent owning me with Ertz. Only way I could've won was benching Julio Jones and starting Robert Woods over him....but that obviously was not going to happen.

Meh, oh well.

Went from 0-3 to the highest scoring team in the league and championship game. So I'm calling my team Icarus next year lol.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Mahomes throws a pick or I get a tacky stat correction in my favor, I'm out.

If I would've played literally anyone else I had on my bench (Robbie Anderson, Doug Baldwin, Calvin Ridley, CJ Anderson), I would've won. Played myself out of winning, haha. Bleeeeeeeeghhhh.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Need 38 points from Lindsay and Cook tomorrow to win. It's not impossible but not likely. Sigh. Mahomes killed me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up by 8.5.
I have Lindsay left tomorrow and he's out of players.
Think I can bench him and call it.
But just to safe ...
Cause it ain't over until it's over.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Dominated 1 league and got first. Squeaked out a win to get 3rd in another, and lost by .44 and got 2nd in my last league. It was a roller coaster of a day.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Need to dodge 22.5 pts from Phillip Lindsay tomorrow (half PPR) and I win the championship. Was looking pretty grim after Robby Anderson went off, but Davante Adams' overtime TD and then Chris Carson bailed me out.

Becoming more convinced after this season that RB2 is the most overvalued position in auction drafts, and it is better to not worry about it and just piece together something in the first couple weeks. I ended up doing McCaffrey and then waited forever and rolled the dice on Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny, Jamaal Williams, and Peyton Barber. The story would obviously be different if Seattle didn't run the ball so much, but I feel like running back is so volatile, you'll find someone playable on the waiver wire in the first couple weeks. Maybe the key is to lock out the other teams from the premiere WRs.

A lot of the RBs are going to climb up the ADP next season, so am thinking more people are going back to RB/RB next year.

BurtonGuster

Oct 26, 2017
Need to dodge 22.5 pts from Phillip Lindsay tomorrow (half PPR) and I win the championship. Was looking pretty grim after Robby Anderson went off, but Davante Adams' overtime TD and then Chris Carson bailed me out.

Becoming more convinced after this season that RB2 is the most overvalued position in auction drafts, and it is better to not worry about it and just piece together something in the first couple weeks. I ended up doing McCaffrey and then waited forever and rolled the dice on Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny, Jamaal Williams, and Peyton Barber. The story would obviously be different if Seattle didn't run the ball so much, but I feel like running back is so volatile, you'll find someone playable on the waiver wire in the first couple weeks. Maybe the key is to lock out the other teams from the premiere WRs.

A lot of the RBs are going to climb up the ADP next season, so am thinking more people are going back to RB/RB next year.

That's not a bad plan until your RB1 goes down week 2 and you're left trying to piece together a team from the wire. McCaffrey was healthy all season so you were fortunate.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That's not a bad plan until your RB1 goes down week 2 and you're left trying to piece together a team from the wire. McCaffrey was healthy all season so you were fortunate.
Yeah, you still have to guess right on your RB1 or you're kind of screwed... although Jims' logic is sound if you do. Here are some of the RB1s that busted for those who drafted them in the first round...

David Johnson (underperformed; bad offense)
Le'Veon Bell (didn't play)
Dalvin Cook (on the shelf Weeks 3-8)
Leonard Fournette (injured AND underperformed)
Kareem Hunt (beat up a girl / suspended)
Devonta Freeman (played 2 lacklustre games / hurt the rest of the way)
Jordan Howard (not utilized to his strengths)
Alex Collins (RBBCed after Week 6; on the shelf after Week 11)
LeSean McCoy (underperformed; mileage)

And MGIII did perform but did get bit by injuries which kept him out 4 weeks including pivotal matchups in Weeks 14 & 15.

As for RB1 finds off waivers, James Conner could be grabbed off the wire once it was clear that Bell's holdout would be a prolonged one, Matt Breida could be had after McKinnon went down before opening day for folks who didn't heed the advice to grab Morris instead, Phillip Lindsay was available after Week 1 with a sizable FAAB bid (there's usually one guy that pops in Week 1 with a clearly defined role that's worth betting the farm on). Nick Chubb was pretty much an end-of-draft dart throw but may have been dropped to the wire for roster space during the early bye weeks prior to the Carlos Hyde trade. And then the rest of the folks who delivered who were the RB3s/RB4s that turned out to be RB2s (Cohen and White in any kind of PPR format, Coleman thanks to Freeman getting hurt, AP, Carson, Mack, Henry during the fantasy playoffs).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I won my work league off of a RB/RB start to the draft and was outscored at WR every matchup. Luck definitely plays a part no matter your strategy.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That's fair. I think most fantasy teams end up in a really bad place regardless if their 1st round pick goes down in Week 2. I should have clarified that the strategy would make handcuffing a requirement. I got skittish in my draft and picked up C.J. Anderson for $1.

Yeah, you still have to guess right on your RB1 or you're kind of screwed... although Jims' logic is sound if you do. Here are some of the RB1s that busted for those who drafted them in the first round...

David Johnson (underperformed; bad offense)
Le'Veon Bell (didn't play)
Dalvin Cook (on the shelf Weeks 3-8)
Leonard Fournette (injured AND underperformed)
Kareem Hunt (beat up a girl / suspended)
Devonta Freeman (played 2 lacklustre games / hurt the rest of the way)
Jordan Howard (not utilized to his strengths)
Alex Collins (RBBCed after Week 6; on the shelf after Week 11)
LeSean McCoy (underperformed; mileage)

And MGIII did perform but did get bit by injuries which kept him out 4 weeks including pivotal matchups in Weeks 14 & 15.

I'd argue that Melvin Gordon and Kareem Hunt would've worked out OK (although not ideal) in this strategy because they would buy you 10 weeks of production where you could shore up your RB2 ranks. And, if you're some kind of crazy psychic, maybe you would've traded them by then. You'd probably still get screwed at the end of the season, but maybe you'd stabilize in time.

Looking at this list, I feel like the fantasy analysts really messed up with their Fournette and Le'Veon valuations. David Johnson, I get why that happened, it was a little unavoidable. But the combination of Jacksonville's mediocre offense and his injury history made Fournette way too much of a dice roll to sit at his ADP. You, like, had to go RB/RB if you draft Fournette. And with Le'Veon, not many people were expecting him to never play, but these analysts also preach that the Round 1 pick should be "safe" and Bell definitely wasn't. Whereas all of the top tier WRs lived up to expectations, and a lot of them were below the likes of Fournette and Bell. This is all hindsight 20/20 obviously, it just feels like the analysts sometimes don't bake in enough potential risk into their initial rankings.

Thinking Dalvin Cook is going to be next year's post-hype sleeper. I feel like the Vikings are going to be determined to run the ball next years after all the criticism this year.

PillarEN

Oct 25, 2017
Took the consolation playoff championship. Congrats to those that won their leagues. Here's to winning it all next year.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017

As for RB1 finds off waivers, James Conner could be grabbed off the wire once it was clear that Bell's holdout would be a prolonged one, Matt Breida could be had after McKinnon went down before opening day for folks who didn't heed the advice to grab Morris instead, Phillip Lindsay was available after Week 1 with a sizable FAAB bid (there's usually one guy that pops in Week 1 with a clearly defined role that's worth betting the farm on). Nick Chubb was pretty much an end-of-draft dart throw but may have been dropped to the wire for roster space during the early bye weeks prior to the Carlos Hyde trade. And then the rest of the folks who delivered who were the RB3s/RB4s that turned out to be RB2s (Cohen and White in any kind of PPR format, Coleman thanks to Freeman getting hurt, AP, Carson, Mack, Henry during the fantasy playoffs).

Biggest pickup for me this year was Nick Chubb off of waivers. Had Hyde and picked him up the minute Hyde was traded. Biggest trade for me was Emmanuel Sanders for Aaron Jones In week 4. I basically ran the league with three RB1s (also had MGIII) until championship week when opponent claimed Jamaal Williams right in front of me.

Ah well, very enjoyable year and got some second place $$$. Congrats to all the fantasy champs! I will be back on top next year :D!!

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Malcolm Butler basically delievered me a Championship. When he made that pick at the end of the Washington-Tennessee game on Saturday he should have just went down (there was :00 on the clock and they were ahead) but he went for the glory and because of it I won by 5.1 points. Thank you, Malcolm! Coach probably isn't thrilled (if he would have fumbled during the return and Washington returned it the Titans would have lost) but I sure am!

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
So I won 2 out of 4 leagues, and finished 3rd in one of the two I didn't win.

The first league I won was off the Barkley / Gordon combo. Stefon Diggs, Kelce, Justin Tucker and Russell Wilson were other draft picks. Russ I only started four times (Big Ben and Jameis streamed in), and Kupp and Kerryon Johnson were big early, and Justin Jackson and Josh Adams contributed in playoffs with Elijah McGuire and Robby Anderson coming up big in the Super Bowl.

The second league I won I accidentally auto-drafted. I only started four players from that draft in the super bowl - Gordon, TY Hilton. Sony Michel, and Gostkowski. I started three players I picked up during Super Bowl week (Prescott, McGuire, Dallas)

Tom Brady was drafted but on my bench in the final along with Jordan Howard and OBJ. Over my 50 transactions during the season, I cut over 50% of the players yahoo drafted for me: Randall Cobb, Will Lutz, Chris Thompson, OJ Howard, Marcus Mariota, Houston, Crabtree, Evan Engram, Jay Ajayi...

some fine ass management if I do say so myself.

Of course in my other league I had a flameout in the semis against a 6-8 team when Barkley/M Thomas had a bad games, Keenan Allen went out injured with a 0, and the Rams D posted a single point, while Marlon Mack was on the bench - finished 3rd.

In my other league I drafted Le'Veon Bell and Dalvin Cook and Carson Went and it was an ugly 9th/12th finish though coulda been closer.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
PPR needs to go.

Back when it was new it had the benefit of also making sense to bring WRs value up when RBs dominate scoring.

In PPR the difference from Christian McCaffrey to David Johnson is the same as Mahomes to Dak or Brady.

This season 1 guy is at 20 rushes a game. Ezekiel Elliott. Gurley is next at 18.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Championship Week 17 game, brutal. I lost AJ Green, E Sanders during the season and Lindsay last week, can't believe I made it.

Do I still start Jaylen @ TE since Yahoo still classifies him as a TE? I think he is better than either option I have at TE.

Here is my line-up, any advice?

QB - D. Watson
WR - A. Brown
WR - J. Edelman
RB - C. Carson
RB - S. Ware
TE - J. Samuels
FLEX - E. McGuire
K - K. Fairbairn
D/ST - New England

BENCH
TE - C. Herndon
TE - J. Graham
RB - P. Barber
RB - B. Hill
WR - S. Shepard
D/ST - Denver

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
You're not benching McGuire. Ware and Smith is more of a toss-up. I'd probably lean Smith in that he's at least guaranteed more volume.
Thanks - I am literally questing everything with 40 minutes to go here in my championship lol. Antonio Brown being hurt and maybe sitting is giving me a migraine.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Thanks - I am literally questing everything with 40 minutes to go here in my championship lol. Antonio Brown being hurt and maybe sitting is giving me a migraine.
I can sympathize. Was in the exact same position as you this time last week second-guessing between Josh Allen and Nick Foles. Needless to say, I made the wrong call there. Thankfully, I got blown out so it didn't exactly prove costly but second-guessing the volatility of Week 17 matchups at the last minute is perfectly understandable.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I can sympathize. Was in the exact same position as you this time last week second-guessing between Josh Allen and Nick Foles. Needless to say, I made the wrong call there. Thankfully, I got blown out so it didn't exactly prove costly but second-guessing the volatility of Week 17 matchups at the last minute is perfectly understandable.
What about Dwayne Washington over Ware and Smith? I picked him up too.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
What about Dwayne Washington over Ware and Smith? I picked him up too.
He's too much of an unknown commodity... at least in terms of his contribution to the Saints outside of special teams, although he is expected to get more work than Ingram today. Probably worth avoiding unless you're counting on the Saints second-stringers to blow out the Panthers by a score of 49-0 or something. He could get you 3 TDs and he could also get you nothing.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
He's too much of an unknown commodity... at least in terms of his contribution to the Saints outside of special teams, although he is expected to get more work than Ingram today. Probably worth avoiding unless you're counting on the Saints second-stringers to blow out the Panthers by a score of 49-0 or something. He could get you 3 TDs and he could also get you nothing.
Good advice, thanks! Won't go with him, I think the Saints mail this one in too.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Well, my season is over. Antonio Brown out, what an absolute shit show, ended up starting 4 people who were never on my team until now.

My opponent is in the same boat but only needed to swap 2 people.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I won this year and it was my second year competing. Got a $250 prize and I think I'm going to take that and retire. Adios fantasy football! Well, to money leagues at least.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Well, my season is over. Antonio Brown out, what an absolute shit show, ended up starting 4 people who were never on my team until now.

My opponent is in the same boat but only needed to swap 2 people.
Never mind, I won my championship, lol. I put up 150 points last week but only put up 106 this week, enough to win my championship.

I would love to take credit, but my rag tag team of waiver wire pickups saved me against my opponent who had a horrible outing, only scoring 65 points as of right now. He picked up Cobb who did nothing, J. Williams who did nothing. Only Hopkins showed up for him.

Here is my winning roster, worst roster ever, lol!

QB - D. Watson
WR -D. Hamilton (lol waiver wire pickup for Brown)
WR - J. Edelman
RB - C. Carson
RB - E. McGuire (lol, waiver wire pickup for Lindsay)
TE - J. Samuels (lol, waiver wire pickup)
FLEX - T. Gabriel (lol, waiver wire pickup for Ware)
K - K. Fairbairn
D/ST - New England

I lost AJ Green, E Sanders and Lindsay to injuries.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Winning rosters in Week 17 are almost always comprised of waiver wire scraps that would otherwise be deemed "the worst roster ever". All the more reason why most leagues wrap up in Week 16.

Glad to hear your free agent claims delivered you a title!

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Winning rosters in Week 17 are almost always comprised of waiver wire scraps that would otherwise be deemed "the worst roster ever". All the more reason why most leagues wrap up in Week 16.

Glad to hear your free agent claims delivered you a title!
Should have listened to you with Ware, I'm a dope for rolling the dice!

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lost in my championship. Not that bad of a sting because there was no move that I could have made that would have catapulted me. I guess I could have grabbed Foles from waivers and start him but I never thought about it, tbh. I got $400 for my second place finish but it's back-to-back Finals losses for me.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I know Fantasy is all but over, but my friends are starting a 16 man dynasty league. I got pick 1 so I can choose where I draft at, snake draft. Should I go with pick 1 or pick 16 or something else?