• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The crossplay page

Some excerpts, they don't hide at all the reasons behind the limitations they have.

Does Fantasy Strike support cross-platform logins?
Yes, wherever we're allowed to, limited only by Sony's restrictions

When you create a FantasyTag on PlayStation 4, you do not create a password, because Sony does not allow account data from other platforms to be used on PlayStation 4, and it does not allow your PlayStation 4 account data to be used on other platforms either.

Sony is still being dragged kicking and screaming into the crossplay era.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge supporter of cross-play and cross-progression, I almost hope PS5 debuts with weaker than expected sales, so that Sony needs to win some good will back by supporting crossplay fully and such.

OP
OP
DanteMenethil

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
But FF14 allows just that.
Yeah it's weird, might be a new policy or maybe FF14 dodge that policy with just using a SE account? (never played FF14 on ps4). I remember a similar crossplay issue from another game not long ago and everyone was baffled because it's a limitation FF14 didn't had either.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
But FF14 allows just that.

First: FF isn't on other consoles, as far as i'm aware, and with PC crossplay, Sony has no issues.
Second: Regarding from whom FF XIV and this game are, i'd like you to keep in mind. One game is from one, if not the biggest japanese third party, and the other from a seemingly indie studio. SQEX has a different position in such negotiations.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
First: FF isn't on other consoles, as far as i'm aware, and with PC crossplay, Sony has no issues.
Second: Regarding from whom FF XIV and this game are, i'd like you to keep in mind. One game is from one, if not the biggest japanese third party, and the other from a seemingly indie studio. SQEX has a different position in such negotiations.

Honestly I wonder in this case it has to do with how your FantasyTag is created.

At this point we have 3 games that use Epic Games Accounts that are fully crossplay with no login restrictions.

if the Fantasy Tag was created from their website I wonder if that would resolve it.

Sep 25, 2018
Keep it up Sony I will be switch and Xbox two going in next gen

sucks my name will stay sony and switch unless I can edit that

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Wierd that destiny 2 is going to allow you to do just this.share account data across systems

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does Fantasy Strike feature cross-platform play?

Yes! It features the maximum amount of cross-play we're allowed to, limited only by Sony's restrictions.

Steam players: Can play with Switch players and PlayStation 4 players.

Switch players: Can play with Steam players (but not PlayStation 4 players, as per Sony's restriction).

PlayStation 4: Can play with Steam players (but not Switch players, as per Sony's restriction.)

Will Fantasy Strike support either cross-platform play or cross-platform logins on PlayStation 4 at some point?

The only limitation on these things is Sony's approval. If Sony changes their mind on these things, we will be happy and eager to support them.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, it worked being able to play used games!

Actually, I don't think they'll get much of that when they're clearly the obstinate ones this time around, but stranger things have happened.

I don't get it, so you are saying Microsoft should announce the next Xbox and do a little skit about crossplay because the used games is the complete reversal. Microsoft was the one who had DRM and Sony took advantage of the situation, this is the complete opposite. Then again I wouldn't be surprised given the support Sony gets from their hardcore crowd no matter what they do.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unless your game is absolutely huge, sony isn't gonna OK cross-play. and i'm sure even for those huge games they don't want to allow it, they'd just rather not deal with the negative press and reactions from big fanbases.

Oct 27, 2017
Good PR
New generation

Crossplay became big midway through the generation and Sony doesn't feel it benefits them right now. Next gen is a different story.
Good PR would be announcing it for their current system and they would carry it into next gen. It's like saying Nintendo would be better announcing an overhaul of their online system for the Switch 2 rather than the current one when there's nothing stopping them from doing both

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony isn't going to be big on Crossplay that relies on directly connecting to competing ecosystems. That's what seems to be the difference with FFXIV, Square Enix's servers are an agnostic middle ground. I guess Steam isn't counted as a "competing" ecosystem in their eyes.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Which really big games with Switch/MS/PC crossplay Sony is still blocking? Serious question i cant remember really
Not big games per se, but games from big pubs like Ubisoft (Bawlhallah) or 2K (NBA 2K Playground 2) are still being forced to exclude PS4 crossplay. Also obviously Minecraft and presumably the upcoming Minecraft Dungeons.

Feb 26, 2018
Not big games per se, but games from big pubs like Ubisoft (Bawlhallah) or 2K (NBA 2K Playground 2) are still being forced to exclude PS4 crossplay. Also obviously Minecraft and presumably the upcoming Minecraft Dungeons.
I guess I can understand Minecraft with the Xbox live log in but others - nah. Sony should stop the BS and just open crossplay for everybody. People wont stop buying ps4 if they do that

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good PR would be announcing it for their current system and they would carry it into next gen. It's like saying Nintendo would be better announcing an overhaul of their online system for the Switch 2 rather than the current one when there's nothing stopping them from doing both

It'll have more of a PR impact at the start of next generation. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have done it already though. Their current policy sucks.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Good on the Fantasy Strike team for being so transparent. Sony should absolutely be dragged for this.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mega Baseball 2 comes to Switch today and features crossplay with the other platforms... Except PS4, of course :(

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Does Fantasy Strike feature cross-platform play?

Yes! It features the maximum amount of cross-play we're allowed to, limited only by Sony's restrictions.

Steam players: Can play with Switch players and PlayStation 4 players.

Switch players: Can play with Steam players (but not PlayStation 4 players, as per Sony's restriction).

PlayStation 4: Can play with Steam players (but not Switch players, as per Sony's restriction.)

Will Fantasy Strike support either cross-platform play or cross-platform logins on PlayStation 4 at some point?

The only limitation on these things is Sony's approval. If Sony changes their mind on these things, we will be happy and eager to support them.
So Steam users ultimately get the biggest player base. Interesting.

I remember when this game was first announced, they spoke about full crossplay and I recall thinking "uh, are you guys sure about that? I don't think Sony will allow that.."

Not long after, they were on Twitter openly asking Sony to reconsider their stance. Apparently the devs were not aware at the time they made those plans.

To my knowledge, this is now the second traditional fighting game to have crossplay across at least 3 (planned) platforms, with the PlayStation 4 release being the odd one out.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Sony should eat some humble pie. Open up cross platform fully. Also be more transparent.

(Personally I dislike cross plat with pc platform when it comes to competitive games for obvious reasons)

doctorfedora

Feb 5, 2019
Japan
On the one hand, holy moly that hero image. On the other hand, Sony has publicly said on the record that they're cool with crossplay for whoever, sure, and then continued to do exactly nothing to allow it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Fantasy Striker on the GB Quicklook - didnt even know this was on Switch and had cross play.
Always cool when smaller titles can implement that feature since they are the ones that need every active player, shortly after launch, to keep the online community going.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
In this particular case, I'm quite alright with not having to play Switch users online tbh. Like Nintendo needs to step up their online situation before I'm going to die on this hill.

When you create a FantasyTag on PlayStation 4, you do not create a password, because Sony does not allow account data from other platforms to be used on PlayStation 4, and it does not allow your PlayStation 4 account data to be used on other platforms either.

How is this the case when CFN exists? Why not just have a login system that uses your PSN account to create a profile like other services do?

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
How is this the case when CFN exists? Why not just have a login system that uses your PSN account to create a profile like other services do?
CFN? That's used on PS4 and Steam. Sony has no issue with PC crossplay. When other consoles are involved, it's a big no-no unless you're Epic/using Epic's account system.