• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Previously, the game had crossplay between Switch and PC, and PC and PS4. Now that Sony has relaxed their stance on ps4 - console crossplay, everyone can play together.

Still waiting on the Power Rangers developers to do the same thing.

Edit: oh look, crossplay and ggpo. See, it's not hard...

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Wow, these guys are indie devs and meanwhile the guilty gear devs are currently asking if rollback implementation is really necessary.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
That is obviously a good thing but that will just increase the total player count to 20 instead of 6.

Also I thought Power Rangers already had crossplay?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Oof.

Ya, I'm glad these guys are going all out on these features. I just wish the game wasn't so... for a lack of a better word, bad.
I can't speak to the quality of FS because I haven't played it but it's still very aggravating that games like this and Power Rangers have fucking incredible netcode but no one plays them. Meanwhile SFV continues to run like hot trash online.

Also doesn't help that for some reason I will never understand, crossplay in power rangers is disabled by DEFAULT.
Shit really? How do you turn it on? I don't think I ever did lol.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to the quality of FS because I haven't played it but it's still very aggravating that games like this and Power Rangers have fucking incredible netcode but no one plays them. Meanwhile SFV continues to run like hot trash online.

Shit really? How do you turn it on? I don't think I ever did lol.
Think you have to go in the settings. If you never made an nWay account, then you never enabled it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Are you calling out yourself? If you like these types of features you should definitely play it and see if it's for you.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I regret not picking this up for $10 when it was in early access. It seems like it might be a great way to introduce more casual players to traditional fighting games.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this is worth highlighting for the fighting game execs and developers in the back:

"As an indie fighting game dev, crossplay means the world to us. More so than many other genres, a fighting game needs a united player base in order to achieve fast queue times, fair matches, and the highest level of competition. Our queue times have already been good, with an average wait of less than 90 seconds across all hours of the week. With full crossplay, it will be even faster."

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Thought this is worth highlighting for the fighting game execs and developers in the back:

"As an indie fighting game dev, crossplay means the world to us. More so than many other genres, a fighting game needs a united player base in order to achieve fast queue times, fair matches, and the highest level of competition. Our queue times have already been good, with an average wait of less than 90 seconds across all hours of the week. With full crossplay, it will be even faster."

Exactly what I said in the thread about improving fighting game playerbase, more than just about any other genre, they really need crossplay. Really hope every fighter going forward has it or patches it in, think it's too late for Tekken 7 but that's my main hope

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Kind of sad/hilarious that multiple indie devs can do this while Capcom sits with their thumbs up their asses for their fighting games and Monster Hunter World. Props to any developer implementing crossplay

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of sad/hilarious that multiple indie devs can do this while Capcom sits with their thumbs up their asses for their fighting games and Monster Hunter World. Props to any developer implementing crossplay
Uh..Capcom's 2 fighting games this gen have crossplay. SFV between PC and PS4, and MvC:I between PC (windows store version) and Xbox One.

They're the one Japanese fighting game developer implementing crossplay and (attempting) rollback netcode.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Wish cross play was a common thing for Fighting games. You'd think it would be an automatic lock in.
It definitely should be going forward. This gen, there was the excuse of Sony not allowing it between consoles and given that the PS4 is the biggest playerbase for fighting games anyway, they probably saw no need

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Uh..Capcom's 2 fighting games this gen have crossplay. SFV between PC and PS4, and MvC:I between PC (windows store version) and Xbox One.

They're the one Japanese fighting game developer implementing crossplay and (attempting) rollback netcode.
Cross play with the Xbox and windows store version lol. I bet that is doing wonders for the dead games player base.

The Anniversary Collection is totally fucking dead online. No cross play there. And again a free game Dauntless does it while they are dicking Monster Hunter players.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Cross play with the Xbox and windows store version lol. I bet that is doing wonders for the dead games player base.

The Anniversary Collection is totally fucking dead online. No cross play there. And again a free game Dauntless does it while they are dicking Monster Hunter players.
Anniversary Collection was Digital Eclipse.

Even if they had done Steam and Xbox One for Marvel, it wouldn't have made much difference. At least Capcom recognises the need for crossplay and has tried to adopt it. We should be criticising the likes of Namco and ArcSys who've never done either crossplay or rollback netcode in any of their games.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Anniversary Collection was Digital Eclipse.

Even if they had done Steam and Xbox One for Marvel, it wouldn't have made much difference. At least Capcom recognises the need for crossplay and has tried to adopt it. We should be criticising the likes of Namco and ArcSys who've never done either crossplay or rollback netcode in any of their games.
I mean you ain't wrong but I like Monster Hunter more than any fighting game so I will continue to voice my displeasure with the total lack of cross play and cross save there.

Who the hell wants to go through that shitty campaign and grind attack jewels again?

It is total bullshit what Namco does with Tekken but that's Namco for ya. Neatherrelm pretty much does the same shit too. Keep pumping out DLC people can pay for rather than adding consumer friendly perks like cross play. Maybe they will add paid DLC cross play :x

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you ain't wrong but I like Monster Hunter more than any fighting game so I will continue to voice my displeasure with the total lack of cross play and cross save there.

Who the hell wants to go through that shitty campaign and grind attack jewels again?

It is total bullshit what Namco does with Tekken but that's Namco for ya. Neatherrelm pretty much does the same shit too. Keep pumping out DLC people can pay for rather than adding consumer friendly perks like cross play. Maybe they will add paid DLC cross play :x
I agree, I personally want crossplay/save to be the standard in every multiplatform multiplayer game. Those who don't like it can just disable it.

doctorfedora

Feb 5, 2019
Japan
Oh man it cannot be emphasized strongly enough that Capcom has gotten nothing but flak for having the gall to try to be better than literally any other Japanese dev on netcode, but failing to be perfect in their first outing. Crazy kappa circle-jerk nonsense about SF5 being "literally unplayable" online, despite the fact that its netcode is merely not as good as GGPO, yet significantly better than any other fighting game to ever come out of Japan. Trying is the first step toward failure, and all that.

Incidentally, let me be another voice in here to say: hey, this game is actually really good and fun, and the online is way more active than BuT sTeAmChArTs!! Guy would lead you to believe.* I have way less trouble finding opponents online on Fantasy Strike than I do on GGXrd Rev2, and I live in Japan, where FS hasn't even been released. Mostly, if you like neutral-heavy fighting games that are fast-paced and intense, with short, powerful combos, it's absolutely worth your while to check it out. As far as I'm concerned, the streamlined controls thing is just a bonus that happens to make the game be 100% playable for real on a single joy-con.

*There is actually a genuine issue where a small but significant number of players can't get matches without forwarding ports, though. I'm holding out hopes that the devs change the ports that the game uses in an upcoming update, because it's the one and only time I've ever had to forward ports to play a game online.

Last edited:

Vapor

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man it cannot be emphasized strongly enough that Capcom has gotten nothing but flak for having the gall to try to be better than literally any other Japanese dev on netcode, but failing to be perfect in their first outing. Crazy kappa circle-jerk nonsense about SF5 being "literally unplayable" online, despite the fact that its netcode is merely not as good as GGPO, yet significantly better than any other fighting game to ever come out of Japan. Trying is the first step toward failure, and all that.

Capcom's first attempt was Street Fighter X Tekken

doctorfedora

Feb 5, 2019
Japan
Okay, so second, then. SF5's netcode is still leaps and bounds better than anything else ever made by a Japanese developer. Mostly, the True Gamers™ could use a bit of perspective, I think.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Capcom's first attempt was Street Fighter X Tekken

You say that like it's a rebuttal, but that's actually to Capcom's credit.

They've put out at least seven fighting game titles (4 classic collections and 3 new games) with some form of rollback netcode by my count.

SFV is the second of three games to feature some form of Capcom's Kagemusha netcode, and by all accounts they nailed it on their 3rd try with MvCI.

Capcom definitely should pay more attention to what Western devs are doing with rollback, but we'd be very lucky if Bamco and ASW paid more attention to what Capcom is doing with rollback.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
In an ideal world all fighting games would be. It's a rather niche genre and you're either massive or you're dead, no middle ground. I really love KOFXIV and FEXL but online is completely dead and it's a shame.

Vapor

Oct 28, 2017
GGPO was first released in 2006. Final Fight: Double Impact was released in 2010. 3rd Strike Online Edition was released in 2011. MvC Origins was released in 2012. Darkstalkers Resurrection and D&D: Chonicles of Mystara were released in 2013.

SF X Tekken was released in 2012, and SF V was released in 2016. Capcom used their own rollback netcode for these which does not work as well as GGPO does. Maybe you can give a pass to SF X Tekken, but SF V released six years after FF: DI, and their netcode still doesn't work as well as GGPO. I don't see any reason to give props to a company like Capcom who still couldn't get it right four years after SF X Tekken when they had already used a proven solution in their previous games.

doctorfedora

Feb 5, 2019
Japan
It's worth bearing in mind that Capcom USA and Capcom Japan are pretty unrelated companies, and only Capcom USA has ever used GGPO in any capacity, and even those were emulation projects outsourced to other companies. There's a fair bit of infighting between the two companies, and in fact that was part of why, say, HD Remix never came out in Japan.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Going into next-gen, any games from well established studios need to explain why they aren't doing cross-play.
ESPECIALLY In the fighting scene where it should be a must by anyone (also considering two smaller devs have done it), the likes of ArcSys, Capcom, and others better have good reasons as to why they won't (Yes SFV thankfully had Crossplay but outside the Play Anywhere MVC:I, no other title from them has followed in its footsteps).

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, these guys are indie devs and meanwhile the guilty gear devs are currently asking if rollback implementation is really necessary.

Sirlin's always been a huge believer in GGPO and crossplay. In the case of HDR, I know he actually learned how to program solely to try and get GGPO into that game (he couldn't get full GGPO but he got a rollback netcode into the game).

It's just that Japanese fighting game devs are really backwards when it comes to netplay. They don't get it and don't want to get it.

If a company isn't even trying , I'm no longer buying their 2d fighters. SF5 did it poorly, but at least they tried, I can forgive that. Arcsys isn't even trying. Also some of the issue with SF5 is because of how the gameplay is designed- the game is kinda twitchy with how frame tight and fast most things are.

doctorfedora

Feb 5, 2019
Japan
Yeah, I'm really hoping that ArcSys gets the memo about GGPO being FOSS now. I feel like the fact that the GGPO website is available in both English and Japanese is a rather pointed decision, haha

Between GGPO and the 8f input buffer, online play on the Steam version of FS (which is smoother online than the console versions, presumably because it's not as CPU-bound) is absurdly good — I'm in Kyoto and I've played people in Montreal and outside Atlanta, and they genuinely felt like we were in the same room.

So yes, I am very pro-GGPO, in addition to being pro-Fantasy-Strike, heh

Last edited:

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
If a company isn't even trying , I'm no longer buying their 2d fighters. SF5 did it poorly, but at least they tried, I can forgive that. Arcsys isn't even trying. Also some of the issue with SF5 is because of how the gameplay is designed- the game is kinda twitchy with how frame tight and fast most things are.

That is exactly my position for new fighters from now on.
I bought most fighters this gen and I've had a lot of fun with them, but mostly only during the periods where the games were popular because currently nobody plays them.
It's so disappointing that we have to resort to discord chats to play games in 2019.

SFV was a major let down too, but yes Capcom did at least try with that.
I've read MVI has superb netcode, so hopefully they did learn from that experience and they'll avoid those mistakes in new releases.