• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Beer Capital of the World
mqjr24nzhs59.png

What is Fantasy War Tactics R?

Fantasy War Tactics R is an update to Fantasy War Tactics that has completely overhauled the game's UI, streamlined many of the gameplay systems, and introduces the second season of story content.

fv73c7ol1sr6.png

Use a team of up to 5 heroes to defeat enemies on classic SRPG style maps. Despite being a mobile game, FWT has similar mechanical depth to console SRPGs with a variety of subsystems including terrain effects and advantage, directional advantage, and a rock, paper, scissors typing system. Characters can level up, be given equipment, augment their stats or gain status resistance with Potentials, and get skill augmentations through Soul Gear and Hero's Mark.
Progress through World Conquest mode to earn new characters and learn the story of the Lord's battle for world domination. Challenge the Tower of Dawn on 3 difficulty modes to earn useful rewards including an exclusive hero and a guaranteed equipment set. Play through side stories defending an NPC from waves of enemies in the Skybrary for currency to use in the library shop. Earn strong heroes over the weekend or during special events from the limited time Lost Island or special Skybrary events.
You can also fight against other player's AI teams in Battle of Honor for weekly rewards including crystals or fight increasingly strong teams with no healing between rounds in Dimensional Breakthrough.

ck4klxefxs11.png

A young wizard succeeds in cloning an ancient warrior-hero, declares himself to be her lord, and begins his first steps toward world domination. Only it turns out while he was holed up in his lab some jerks calling themselves the World Reformation Council already beat him to it! They've placed administrators across the islands of the Arc Continent to enforce martial law over the territories. Can a clone, a cat person, and a muscle wizard free the world from the Council's nefarious grasp so that the Lord can actually conquer something?

The story plays out as you progress through World Conquest mode. Each island has stages that must be completed in order, with scenario stages after every 3-6 normal maps which progress the plot, as well as Boss stages which pit the party against one of the World Reformation Council administrators. Many characters also have recruitment scenes that show how they join the party and after being recruited short skits under the "Story" tab unlock showing how various characters interact with one another.

t7xwa3nrosa3.png

The lord has amassed a great deal of power, but a new threat emerges from a strange being who had been manipulating the World Reformation Council. It brands the Lord with a curse that no known magic can remove, but a stranger from the continent of Sia arrives claiming to know a way to remove the brand. The Lord, Chris, and Ian travel east across the ocean to an unknown land where new peril awaits.

egjvzdc9mspj.png

Heroes are the units you deploy in battle. Unlike many other F2P games heroes are unlocked 1) By progressing the story 2) Grinding for genes to unlock them 3) Purchased directly using crystals for specific collaboration heroes. No rolling involved or gacha for heroes. Heroic genes are earned by beating certain levels (usually that hero's boss level) and genes always drop. There's some randomization in exactly how many drop and more genes drop on higher difficulties, but you'll always get something for your effort.

A hero can be from 1 star to 5 star, with a new star "6 star " awakened form being newly introduced in this latest update. To raise a unit's star rank, they must be at their current level cap and require a certain amount of rebirth materials plus gold. Completing the rebirth raises them one star rank and resets them to level one. However each rank increases their stats, unlocks new skills/cooperation partners, raises the level cap, and allows a new tier of equipment to be used.

vdgsfjebgs4q.png

This is the part that uses the gacha. Normal equipment can be obtained by beating stages. However there is also rare set equipment which, when you have 2 or more pieces of equipment from the same set equipped give bonus effects to the hero. This is mainly obtained through set equipment summoning which costs crystals and sometimes outputs set equipment, but can also give normal tier equipment. Each set pull gives 3 pieces of equipment: a weapon, armor, and accessory. Players get 1 free pull per day, with additional pulls costing 120 crystals or 1200 for 10 with a guaranteed 4 star. Equipment comes in the following ranks.
1*: Normal equipment with no special effects.
2*: Formerly known as platinum equipment. This is obtained by destroying equipment through extraction. Each time the gauge is filled the player gets one random piece of platinum equipment or a single set item. Gives small % bonus to specific stats. Can be transcended up to +12.
3*: A new tier added with the season 2 update. This is set equipment that gives extra raw stats for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. Can drop from beating stages or from the gacha. Can be transcended up to +15.
4*: Formerly A rank equipment. Gives extra stats or other minor special effects for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. Maybe slightly better than 3*, though less abundant. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.
5*: Formerly S rank equipment. Gives extra stats and other useful special effects for having 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. These sets can drastically alter the abilities of a hero and enable specific builds. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.
6*: Formerly SS rank equipment. Gives lots of extra stats and fantastic special effects 2 or 3 pieces of the same set. A hero with SS sets has a huge advantage and enable some of the best builds for specific heroes. Mainly from gacha or set tickets.

scy0dhwu4sfn.png

Just to be clear, this is nothing like an MMO guild raid.

Players can form guilds with up to 20 members. There are 7 raid bosses, one for each day of the week and each day guild members individually challenge the boss with a team of 5 plus one mercenary character belonging to another guild member. These battles are automatic with the player only setting the initial deployment for the characters, skills they want to use and activating the lord skill as needed. Each time the boss's HP is reduced to 0, it respawns as a more powerful version. The objective is to get as high a score as possible before the boss defeats you. Players receive rewards for the rank they achieve individually as well as how their guild fared as a whole against the other guilds.

2fmeu2g9qsb9.png

Fantasy War Tactics will occasionally hold crossover events with other properties allowing you to obtain heroes drawn from other worlds. To date there have been collaborations with Noblesse, Blazblue, Guilty Gear and Maple Story. Typically each collaboration comes with 3-4 new heroes that can be earned through the event shop, Lost Island, and typically 1 hero that can only be obtained by paying crystals. They frequently feature limited time sets including these characters, an exclusive costume, and exclusive equipment. It's a good idea to stockpile crystals in preparation for collab events.

vgxjjildysjq.png

For returning players or people just curious about why they've added an "R" to the game's title, here's a partial list of changes:

6 star Awakening: Characters can get even stronger, can use a new type of equipment called runes, and gain an awakening skill. A flashy, once per battle attack with power to match.

Season 2 Launch: A continuation of the World Conquest story mode. As of this update the Sia Continent has been added with 2 new areas, Monghyeon Harbor and Muhan. Each has 6 normal stages, 2 bosses, and 2 scenarios. 3 new characters can be recruited across these 2 areas. Additionally there's an island between the continents with 3 new scenarios and 2 boss battles.

Season 1 Streamlining: Presumably in an effort to make the game more approachable to new players, difficulty modes have been combined and daily caps on the number of times players can run a stage have been removed.

Daily reward: Gain extra stuff the first time you beat each dungeon each day.

Auto Complete: By spending a new currency called Subjugation Tickets, players can instantly auto complete dungeons, saving time. Note that the auto option, which gives the AI control of the team, is still available.

Streamlined Equipment: Upgrading equipment has been improved by condensing upgrade materials into a single type used for weapons, armor, and accessories. Players can now easily mass de-equip heroes or swap and entire equipment loadout between characters.

UI Update: The jury's out on whether it looks better or worse than the old style, but everything is laid out in a much more approachable manner with fewer layers of sub-menus. The interface is a laggier though.

gc88ek201sky.png

I'll update this if I see any recurring questions pop up.

Q: What platforms is this on?
A: iOS and Android

Q: What server should I pick?
A: Global

Q: What guild should I join?
A: ResetEra (Of Course)

Q: I have questions about a specific game mechanic.
A: Try checking the Useful Tips section on the official website. It has a rundown of most of the games mechanics and features. If you can't find the answer there feel free to ask in the thread.

Q: Is this game pay to win?
A: Yes. While FWT is much more fair than many other F2P games, players with money will still have an easier time. Particularly in the Battle of Honor AI PvP mode, having good set equipment and sometimes premium Soul Gear can make a huge difference. However anyone can play through the World Conquest mode without spending a dime. Additionally the game has been very generous with freebies and at least for Season 1 F2P players could obtain most of the same premium stuff as whales, just a lot slower. Aside from the highest ranks of PvP, time generally pays off more than money.

Q: Help! I want to be some sort of fish or aquatic mammal that spends money on mobile games, what do I do?
A: I'd recommend doing F2P for a bit to see if you like the game before spending any money, but if you've decided to open your wallet I recommend getting Coocoo's Gift. It's basically a $5 monthly subscription that gives you several times the cash value in crystals. It just pays them out over the course of a month. You don't even have to log in every day to get them, they'll just pile up in the mail tab. There's also a new Leveling Package that pays out a total of 2000 crystals for $5, doling them out as your lord level goes up. For returning players, I was able to buy it even though I'm way over LV 30 and got it all at once. If you've still got money that is literally on fire and threatening to burn your wallet, I'd potentially suggest one of the limited time offer boxes. It entirely depends on the content of the box, but sometimes they offer decent deals. That said, I generally find buying crystals at normal price to be a horrible value proposition. Avoid if you can.

Q: How to do I go about getting crystals if I've got more important stuff to do with my money, like save for retirement?
A: Early on the game will throw some crystals your way just for progressing. In typical F2P fashion, this will drop off. You can still earn crystals doing daily achievements, get some weekly for ranking in Battle of Honor, and you can find them via Expeditions. Also sometimes the game hands out free crystals as part of an event.

Q: Will (insert collaboration name) ever come back?
A: Dunno. Noblesse came back once, but I think there's contracts and stuff involved with the collaborations so both companies have to come to a new agreement each time. The Maple Story collaborations probably have the greatest chance to return since both are Nexon games, but they both ran fairly recently so I wouldn't expect it for a while. Blazblue is back as of 4/27/17!

Q: When are they adding more Season 2 stuff?
A: No idea. I believe the update schedule for Season 1 was a new island every couple of months, but it launched with more islands at the outset. Then there was a loooooong wait for Season 2.

eawuywnydst4.png

Happy New Year and Maple Story Collab is back here are the current patch notes.

Major takeaways:
* Pink Bean recruitable
* Phantom, Mercedes, and Evan awakenable.

Current 6* Set rotation:

January 3rd: Defender of the Earth(Slot IV) & Bloody Melee(Slot I)

January 4th: Coocoo Rangers Go(Slot III) & Beast Rain Prototype(Slot III)

Last edited:

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for moving the OT over hexacypher. Might want to check the screen shots as they're kind of tiny at the moment.

For anyone who happens to wander in here and wants to play, we do have room in the guild. We're also willing to explain mechanics, progression, etc to newcomers since a lot has been added since launch and it can get kind of overwhelming.

OP
OP
hexacypher

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
And my favourite attack in this game is...

Tots adorbs, but been on the receiving end of that blast too many times in BoH, that all I see is my failure to take her out on the first turn lol.

Thanks for moving the OT over hexacypher. Might want to check the screen shots as they're kind of tiny at the moment.

No problem, thanks for doing all the original work really. All right, I think I fixed the screen shots to somewhat match the old style.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo information on second anniversary stuff. Seems like a lot will be happening in the next month. The bit about Unknown Paradise is pretty vague, but it mentions cooperating with other players.

Patch notes for later today. We'll be getting the next island with Heuksa, Jin & Chenny awakening, and the opportunity to earn 2x 6* Equipment Selection Tickets. Also some other stuff.

Since It'sJack disappeared I'm trying to actually update my Guild Raid mercs, but I hate messing with equipment. It's easier than it used to be, but it's still a pain. Hopefully I'll have new mercs up later today.

OP
OP
hexacypher

hexacypher

Oct 26, 2017
Since It'sJack disappeared I'm trying to actually update my Guild Raid mercs, but I hate messing with equipment. It's easier than it used to be, but it's still a pain. Hopefully I'll have new mercs up later today.

Thanks for the new raid mercs. Your Hongyeom on Friday was very good, I just wish I hadn't run out of time to test her out completely. Expecting new high scores next week, if I can remove some of the RNG out of that day's strat. I hate messing with equipment too, so I bit the bullet and got all the preset slots finally. So I've got each Guild Raid day saved, and then an Awakening Golem's Corridor preset, a BoH preset, and finally just a Leveling Team preset. It makes equipping teams easy, but it's not perfect because when you switch it just dumps all the equipment back into the inventory, so then I have to equip random sets on random characters to make inventory space again. Hmm, I might have a hording problem lol.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the new raid mercs. Your Hongyeom on Friday was very good, I just wish I hadn't run out of time to test her out completely. Expecting new high scores next week, if I can remove some of the RNG out of that day's strat. I hate messing with equipment too, so I bit the bullet and got all the preset slots finally. So I've got each Guild Raid day saved, and then an Awakening Golem's Corridor preset, a BoH preset, and finally just a Leveling Team preset. It makes equipping teams easy, but it's not perfect because when you switch it just dumps all the equipment back into the inventory, so then I have to equip random sets on random characters to make inventory space again. Hmm, I might have a hording problem lol.

Currently Sogoon is pretty much the best I can make him at this point. Maybe I'll get some better runes eventually. I think I can still optimize Hongyeom a bit; perhaps I'll do that after we get those 6* tickets. I'm still not really sure who to put up for Sunday though.

I need to mess around with presets a bit more, but I too have a hoarding problem. I'm lucky if I can get below 300 pieces of equipment. I'd stick some of these random set pieces on characters I don't use, but then I can't find them when I need them or forget about them.

Like I said in game, I'm currently kicking inactive guild members and adding randoms who apply. It's a bit of a slow process because people only apply occasionally and when they do, they apply to multiple guilds at once. So I've got to add them before another guild snaps them up. I'm only dropping inactives as I add more people because their guild mercs could be useful to someone so no point kicking them until we have a replacement members.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I brought Belle and Celes back into my roster since I needed healing while I moved through the area in the new island stages. Annoying %hp stage hazards

Regarding Unknown Paradise... To be honest, I already feel swamped.
Grind the Library
Check your incense
Get equipment stones
Battle of Honour for Red Crystals
Guild Raid
Coocoo to help level characters - speaking of which, opening all three? Holy shit
Awakening Stones/Rebirth Stones
Dimension Breakthrough

That isn't even going into the daily achievements or weekly/monthly things like Arena and ToD or the limited stuff like Lost Islands.
It is exhausting. It takes too long I want to bring in less optimal characters to level up but this also means it takes longer per stage to run. We still don't have any new Nightmares aside from Chris and Thanatos.

Also, god the equipment enhancement and rune enhancements feels like it takes forever...