• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Just a few of the issues I had with this game (mainly going over the big ones here):

1) Very boring setting: One of the strong points of the series for me was that it took you to exotic locals, like Tropical Islands in Farcry 3 and The Himalayas in Far Cry 4. Instead, this game takes one of defining aspects of the series and throws it out the window, landing us in buttfuck nowhere in the middle of Kansas. Couldn't have chosen a more boring setting if they tried. The map seems one-note too, with just endless forest stretching out in every direction and an uninspired color palette. And while the mountain region was cool, it doesn't stand up to the verticality there was in Farcry 4.

2) Sub-par villains and Story, at least compared to prior games. Far Cry 3 and 4 didn't have stories to write home about, but at least the villains and some of the plot lines were fairly interesting. Here tho, there's four of them, and they all feel one dimensional, and they use the "evil church cult" trope. You get kidnapped like 13 or so times during the course of the game, and it feels pretty obtrusive to be honest. Joseph Seed just doesn't do it for me, and the monologues, just compare them to Vaas and Min's to see what I'm talking about. And if the grim/darkness of the story feels at odds with moment to moment to FarCry gameplay. And, that ending. Ugh, that was horrible.

3) Silent Protagonist. Why? There's literally no point of having silent player characters, aside from JRPG's or some shit. Actually having your character to speak here and there, and be called by their actual name and not just "deputy" goes a long way. In Both Far Cry 3 and 4 your character had a personal motive to do what they did. Here it's just "Hey random, use your superhuman skills to kill this screwed-up cult single-handedly, k bye". It just feels like there's a disconnect here.

4) Hunting Animals is totally sidelined. In past games, hunting animals was useful for expanding your inventory space and such, while you just trade it in for some cash (which you can find everywhere abundantly anyways, so there's just no point in doing it anymore). Also, there's no animation for collecting the animal hide anymore.

5) Lack of Downtime. Holy shit, can I please get three seconds without getting 40 enemy vehicles and a dozen bomber planes on my tail, PLEASE. And when its not that, it's a couple of Bears or Cougars. I feel like the devs were afraid that they would lose the player's attention and would get bored. Especially egregious when it happens while you're talking to an NPC. I guess I'll add the fact here that your ammo doesn't reset after you die in a mission (when you spawn again you are at the ammo amount when you died), which is annoying.

6) Generally Unpolished with a lot of bugs. Not much to say here, the game was quite buggy for me when I played, with some hilarious ones, but with some infuriating ones as well. A lot of the time, the "Death from Above" perk wouldn't work for me, when it worked reliably in past games (its where you can jump on enemy from above to melee kill them). Also, the quest with one of the boss fights (the one in the planes) bugged out for me for a while. Once it was just permanent night, and I had to reboot to fix the day-night cycle. Far Cry 3 did have some bugs when I played it, but it didn't turn out like this. And Far Cry 4 felt fairly polished.

Also, stealth seems way less viable in this game, and certain smaller things I liked from FC4, such as kicking barrels, jumping from car to car or riding animals.

Now, it's not all doom and gloom, there are some things I think the game does right. Namely, the removal of towers, and how the map discovery works (either by just encountering them during normal play, or by reading magazines and such that reveals locations of points of interest). The companion system is also superb, and should most definitely make its way to next game. Co-op is well implemented. Prepper stashes were pretty neat, and shooting feels a bit better here. Graphics are absolutely superb and some of the best this gen. It's still a fun game, the sandbox mayhem the series is known for is still obviously there.

However, it's especially disappointing for me, given that both FarCry 3 and FarCry 4 were my game of the year the years they came out in (granted both of those years in gaming were sorta weak, but still), and this one I heavily anticipated, but it take a some big steps backwards in my opinion.

I would like to hear people's thoughts. Additionally, given what my stance here is, would New Dawn be a worthwhile purchase for me, or does it fall into similar trappings?

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good write up. I agree completely. I don't like the way the series is moving with Far Cry 5 and New Dawn. I liked New Dawn even less as it had some awful RPG elements and was more grindy.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Cant really say I agree, 5 was the only Far cry game I enjoyed since 2.
I think the whole kidnapping thing was pretty silly though, and the Whitetail mountain storyline was pretty bad.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The villians showed just how overdone the formula is at this point.

Their catch and release antics were eye rolling and my god did they all talk sooooo s l o w l y.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I was hugely disappointed by Far Cry 5 for the reasons you wrote. Unpolished and uninspired game.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Farcry really isnt a game to be taken seriously. It's daft but good fun.

Oct 26, 2017
The big step back started with Far Cry 4, followed by Primal and peaked with 5 and New Dawn.

Far Cry 3 was fun, Blood Dragon was amazing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Getting randomly kidnapped multiple times was stupid. It also had the usual Ubisoft problem of having something interact with you every 20 seconds so you never get "bored".

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Kansas?
Anyway,for all the tweeks it made to the series it still felt like more Far Cry....the games could do with a bigger shake up for next gen.
I've always enjoyed the series but the main games have all been far to similar since 3.

Oct 28, 2017
Getting shot with an arrow WHILE IN A PLANE just because you triggered the next story mission is some Ubisoft ass game design. Laughable.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a downward slope of quality since 2.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

as much as I liked the cheesy, crazy over the top (and incredibly janky due to the AI) approach to the open world, I do wish that the game's tone matched up with the initial teaser's.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I agree completely, I loved Far Cry and Far Cry 2, I liked Far Cry 3 and 4 but FC5 is the one I never finished because of everything you mentioned coming together and the setting was really the worst for me, there wasn't anything special or mysterious about it.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I liked 3 but barely played 4, felt exactly like the thing you're describing 5 as. I fell in love with 5, tough and i never expected it.

Everything that i thought, that didn't work as well as it could or felt convoluted in 3 and 4 was hugely enjoyable in 5 for me (companions, climbing, crafting, perks etc.). It added the extra layer of polish and took a clean sweep so that the franchise became one of my favourites.

My thoughts on 5:

1. Setting: As much as i was initially bored by the bog-standard US middle of nowhere setting (especially as a European) when the game was revealed, it's actually its strongest point imo. I pushed back playing FC5 because of the setting until i got it dirt cheap on sale. And i looove the setting. It hits several open world sweet spots for me, it's a perfect backdrop for all the FC activities like planes, hunting, racing, raiding camps, stealthing, fishing, swimming, exploring etc. and looks gorgoeus, too. It feels lived in and varied. Soundtrack does its part, too.

2. Villains: I didn't care much for Pagan Min and i also think the evil church trope has been done to death. But i really liked it here. The level of quality in the cutscenes and the acting of most of the villains was great. They were complemented well by the side characters and all the little stories you found scattered in the world. It made for a coherent symbiose of world, setting and villain imo.

3. Protagonist: Silent protagonist allows customization (gender choice) and didn't really detract my playthrough in any way. The motivation comes from the opening cutscene and the stories and horrors you experience and learn about alongside the way. Which for me works better than having a pre-established background before the start of the game. Like "Show, don't tell" in movies, i think this was quite aclever choice and well done execution.

4. Hunting: Different tastes: I thought hunting was too prominent in 4 and i don't like to be attacked and killed every few seconds by some random wombat, just because i'm exploring. I thought it was well balanced here.

5. Downtime: Agree with the ammo thing. But i had lots of downtime, serene moments to enjoy the view, talk to people. I don't know, experiences may vary.

6. Polish: For me personally the game felt polished as hell. Could be caused by plaing it after all the patches. Controls were fluid, menues were good, prompts were good. I never had huge problems. I personally found 4 much clunkier to play and i can't exactly pinpoint why.

I stealthed as much as i could and thought, it worked okay (Bow and Dog are your friend).

Don't want to negate your opinion, just add my two cents. Different tastes, i guess.

Map discovery and companion system are great indeed. And huge shoutout to the killer soundtrack.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Till FarCry 3 and Blood Dragon this series was awesome, after that it has become the same dull, repetitive crap every time it comes out.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rather liked it except for the downtime thing like you said. The created this world that has better exploration that the rest of the series, but you can't go anywhere without the game thinking "Hey, I bet this guy is bored, let's throw some cultists at him!" I feel like the last few years of open worlds have shown that downtime is key and enjoyable. Sometimes you just wanna creep along in the quiet woods as birds chirp and figure out if that house you saw in the distance has anything interesting going on.

More restraint on this aspect would have done the game's other elements a lot of good.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Completely agree. Far Cry 3 is the only one I ever actually finished. For some reason none of the other games in the series kept me hooked enough to complete... even Blood Dragon, as rad as it was.

*Edit: I should clarify that FC3 was the first one in the series that I played, so I missed the first and second when they were fresh. Still haven't tried the original, and going back to FC2 didn't feel great. I appreciated the systems and can see why it was so well received when it released.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Honestly, Far Cry 2 might be the most tedious and unfun game I've played. From the repspawning outposts, to the random malaria attacks, and your gun jamming jamming for no reason, It's like the game tried to fuck you over every step of the way.

To this day I have no idea how it got good scores, and how it even has a fanbase after the much superior 3/4 came out.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I liked it a lot more than 3 and 4 which bored me to tears after a short amount of time. Primal was cool because of the setting. Blood Dragon is probably my favourite but was hurt by the open world design, it would have fared much much better as a linear experience.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The getting kidnapped stuff was by far the worst part of the game for me.
I'd be in the middle of doing a side objective, or on my way somewhere, then all of a sudden I'm in a hallucination, get kidnapped, then dumped somewhere fucking miles from where I was and where I was going.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Best Far Cry since 3. I really like the way the handled exploration. It's so much more than just checking of icons on a map. Also like the size of the map and the villain. Had an awesome time with it.

I hope they will return to a lush jungle island on next gen.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Farcry really isnt a game to be taken seriously. It's daft but good fun.

I would completely agree with this. The problem is that the devs don't. They want you to care about the story so bad. Far Cry 5 is a game where you get punished with story sections when you play too well.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I agree broadly (I thought New Dawn was better, but still weaker than 3 and 4 and Primal, and especially 2). I'll forever maintain that the optimum Far Cry game would have precisely zero dialogue, very few enemies between outposts, and definitely no stupid dream/drug sequence, and it would be six hours long. Like the New Dawn expeditions but you can drive/glide/whatever between them instead of picking them from a menu.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Far Cry 5 was a big disappointment, as you said OP the map was pretty boring and the enemies and villains were very meh.

Hopefully the next one is a much better improvement all round.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
OP: You might be the first person to complain that they removed the skinning animations.

God those are just an annoyance after the first time. I'm glad they made them operational in previous games and then outright removed them in the latest ones.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The first 10 minutes with the buildup of capturing the main cult leader was amazing, the tone was terrifying and then they threw that out the window the minute the real game started lol

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Agree completely. One of the most boring areas a game has had. Far Cry 2 was great, Far Cry 3 was greater, Far Cry 4 was good and this one is.. eh.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely loved everything about the game. Thought the setting, villains and companions were great. One of my favourite games last year.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Well I loved it. I love the formula of 5 and New Dawn. The gameplay is too good. Just a crazy time messing around in the world doing those puzzles and getting op.

Who even gives the story a time of day to be let down by it? I like hunting, the co-op, the funny shit that happens in the world. It was fun. Loved it.

edit: y'all mfs hate everything 😆

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get all the praise for Far Cry 2. While the Setting and "openess" was amazing for the time, the rest of the game was a boring slug. The Tasks were repetitive, the world was huge but empty af. Far Cry 3 was simply better in every regard and i liked 2 a lot!

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
With the exception of bugs I htink everything you said that was wrong is something that I ejoyed with the game. Also I actually hated the hide collection animation FC5 fel more gamey and that's good and the soundtrack was great.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
It really was. Feels like they tried to do the BOTW approach to open-world design but almost everything feels meaningless and forgettable, and the clowny, inhuman NPCs sure didn't help make the world feel more alive. The treasure hunts were good though, both in 5 and New Dawn.

Don't get all the praise for Far Cry 2. While the Setting and "openess" was amazing for the time, the rest of the game was a boring slug. The Tasks were repetitive, the world was huge but empty af. Far Cry 3 was simply better in every regard and i liked 2 a lot!

Far Cry 2 was unique mostly due to its settings and gameplay elements. It was probably the only game in the series which nailed settings, the rest, while more accessible and fun to play, just lack the hardcore tone that Far Cry 2 produces. Yeah, it has many questionable design choices, but overall I think its the most memorable game in the series.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On paper, the game has a lot of great reasons it should be great, and yet even after a couple hours I was finding it very hard to keep pushing. It's just a much boring setting than anything else the franchise had, the gameplay feels more polished but I don't find any of the new elements good enough to bother, and in general it just feels stale. I've been meaning to complete it, I've had it since launch but I don't think I've put more than 10 or so hours into it. It's still pinned on my Xbox One, I want to continue but everytime I play it I remember that I don't really enjoy it that much.

Also Ubisoft had the brilliant idea of spoiling the ending by making a quick spin-off/sequel where the whole premise is based on what happens at the end of the game, so not even the ending has me excited much anymore.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Far Cry 2 was unique mostly due to its settings and gameplay elements. It was probably the only game in the series which nailed settings, the rest, while more accessible and fun to play, just lack the hardcore tone that Far Cry 2 produces. Yeah, it has many questionable design choices, but overall I think its the most memorable game in the series.

This. Far Cry 2 felt more systemic than it sequels, due to giving them a rather generic GTA, Asscreed formula instead of iterating on what made 2 unique.

Far Cry 2 didn't even reach it's full ambition. The Jackal was supposed to be a independent AI which you could dynamically track (scrapped due to technical constraints). Same goes for the gang leaders, to play them off each other. At the time I hoped they finally reached this vision in the sequels. Instead the design cattered to something more standard.

Last edited:

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I thought it wasn't as interesting as the previous games but I still managed to finish it.
New Dawn however was so boring I dropped it after a few hours.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I didn't like Far Cry 5 as much as I liked the third game, and some of the reasons are the ones you stated. I think the lackluster story and the fact your character is mute is connected. I don't think there is another game where a silenced protagonist hurted the game so bad. Your character being passive to all the things happening aroudn them sabotaged the cutscenes, the villains and in the the story. I was thrilled when it was annouced you could create your character but it might not have been worth it. And Far Cry sells great so I don't see the need to save money wasn't there.

I also agree with stealth. Combat overall didn't feel as great as previous games. I remember with Far Cry 3 I had all these insane abilities and it was super fan using them. With a bit strategy I could pick up an area full of enemies with relative ease. In FC5 on the other hand those abilities felt... diminished. I didn't use them as much because the game didn't gave me opportunities and I think there were less of them as well. I also missed hunting animals.

I disagree with the setting being uninspired though. I thought it was great.

Didn't experience any bugs, although the game didn't run as good as I hoped, so on par with Far Cry 3.

About the lack of downtime, didn't bother me.

And I should add having companions was a great idea.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Far Cry 5 is the only Far Cry I've ever liked enough to finish, and the setting definitely helped. It was run of the mill Ubishit, but that rural America setting hooked me.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I like the world and new quest system but Ubisoft unfortunately doesn't have writing team (or maybe internal policies are the issue) to realize full potential of that world. Same goes with all of their games unfortunately. With better quests and better written characters they could achieve much more.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This game's story and, like, whole execution of its storytelling is just insane. The villains just keep kidnapping you, strapping you to a chair, monologue-ing at your silent-protagonist ass for like ten straight minutes, and then letting you shoot your way out and go back to regular gameplay. I swear it happens ten times over the course of the game. And worse, sometimes they actually warn you beforehand, but you don't have any agency to do anything about it. They'll straight up tell you they're going to kidnap all your friends, and you'll go and meet all your friends and do nothing about it, and then sure enough, next mission everyone's kidnapped.

I don't think I've ever played a game where the decision to go with a silent protagonist was more harmful. I don't know what they were thinking.

Jun 17, 2018
Far Cry 2 is still the best one in my opinion. After the initial couple of hours with FC5 I was done, I finished it but I did none of the side missions or extra activities. It just wasn't a very interesting game.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I bought it at launch on PS4, hated the first few hours and sold it.

Recently picked it up on PC, high fps + Keyboard and mouse have made a big difference.

I just skip most of the story cutscenes because I don't have time to sit through garbage stories anymore. It's a fun game though, glad I tried it again but it needs a changeup.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
while i liked the setting of the church cult american state. it was incredibly one-note. there was very little in the way of variation within the world.

i even liked the comedy evil villains, and i really liked listening to their monologues since they were very well voice acted. BUT, the way in which you take part in the larger story missions was just fucking dumb. ubisoft tried to find reasons to be in these close encounters with the main bad guys so they can have their creepy monologues without any interruptions, but they seemed to have only found 1...kidnap...random, mid world gameplay interrupting kidnappings...terrible.

the most insulting aspect of the game for me though was the writing. there were moments that honestly just felt jarring. forced emotional scenes set in a world where you get tasked with killing cows as they're mating for the annual testicle festival

tbh i think the series is in a bit of an awkward position at the moment. the gameplay is now known for being very open and a little bit wacky. but the developers seem intent on writing grimdark stories to go alongside them complete with grimdark villains. its pretty clear at this point that the combination doesn't work very well and the open world gameplay is at odds with the story. they need to decide what the series is supposed to be moving forward. does it want to be a first person just cause? complete with the wackiest shit imaginable? or...does it want to be a grown up, serious game with serious themes, and tone down it's gameplay and objectives to better suit that dark atmosphere?