• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Metacritic - 81 after 45 reviews
Opencritic - 84 after 62 reviews

We Got This Covered: 4.5/5
Ubisoft have cherry-picked everything that has made the Far Cry series successful, and distilled it into a single, laser-focused package. Far Cry 5 probably isn't going to blow anyone's mind, but it provides a continuously fun experience that avoids the repetition and formulaic nature of past titles.

GamingTrend: 90/100
With new gameplay mechanics, overhauled progression systems, a strong narrative, and the Guns/Friends for Hire system, Far Cry 5 is the overhaul that the series desperately needed. It is easily the best of the series, and represents a positive step in a new direction. Come for the storyline, stay for the co-op chaos.

Gamespot: 9/10
With smart changes to exploration, discovery, and progression, Far Cry 5 makes engaging and experimenting with its gorgeous open world more exciting than ever.

USGamer: 4.5/5
Far Cry 5 is a game that struggles in trying to serve two purposes. On one hand, there's a dark, horrific tale of a cult taking over a small town. On the other, it's a playground of destruction, letting players fly and drive around, blowing up things with a bear and a dog. Both sides are good, but they don't really meet in the middle. If you can survive the tonal whiplash, you'll find a great game here and Far Cry Arcade only makes it better.

Playstation Universe: 90/100
Far Cry 5 is the best Far Cry to date. The great additions and refinements made to the franchise are fantastic. Along with the inclusion of Far Cry Arcade, which extends your play time, Far Cry 5 is the ultimate open-world first person shooter.

Destructoid: 7.5/10
Far Cry 5 is a solid first-person shooter set in a vibrant, breathtaking location. It plays well, looks great, and is packed with enough content to keep players invested in Hope County for a good, long while. Though Joseph Seed and Eden's Gate work better in theory than in practice, the Montana-based doomsday cult marks a departure for the franchise that pays off.

Press-Start: 9/10
Far Cry 5 is an absolute blast from beginning to end, chock full of things to do and involve yourself in. The narrative is interesting, and everything you do in Hope County feels meaningful in some way or another — making for an experience that feels as rewarding as it does enjoyable.

Pure Playstation: 9/10
Far Cry 5 is the best in the series, as expected. I can practically taste the Montana air as I explore the mountainous region, performing a more diverse set of actions than I'm used to. The story and villains are top notch and the gunplay is as satisfying as ever. This is easily the peak of the franchise and something one can enjoy for at least thirty hours. Having Far Cry Arcade to fall back on is just the cherry on top. Meaningfully being able to make your own missions can be a game changer in an open-world shooter and I'm hoping it works out for Ubisoft. If only those damn microtransactions weren't in my face every time I opened a shop.

Metro Game Central: 8/10
The best Far Cry yet and one of the best open world shooters of any kind, with an impressive variety of missions and non-linear structure.

Critical Hit: 90/100
Choice is the driving theme in Far Cry 5, a game which opts to venture out of its comfort zone while fine-tuning every aspect of what makes the series so great. It's incredibly relevant, Montana is a gorgeous slice of new terrain that is fraught with peril and the road ahead that Far Cry Arcade represents is exciting to say the least. Simply put, the fifth numbered chapter in Ubisoft's series of madness, freedom and exploration is Far Cry perfected.

IGN (in progress): 8.9/10
I'm really enjoying Far Cry 5 and think this is another great entry in Ubisoft's most daring, risk-taking franchise. Look for my final review later this week.

The Guardian: 3/5
There are great individual moments in Far Cry 5. The gunplay is excellent, its unpredictable world generates daring stories of accidental heroism, and when it leans into the whole red-blooded American patriotism schtick, it's genuinely funny. It doesn't always fit together as well as it should, sometimes forcing the player to work around the game rather than with it – but the wildly vacillating tone is the bigger issue. It's at once disorienting and noncommittal. Paradoxically, this is an extreme satire of modern America that says pretty much nothing about it.

God is a Geek: 9/10
The best Far Cry yet, with well written characters, lots of freedom to play how you want, and a lot of fun to be had on your own or with a friend.

GamersGlobal: 9/10
Far Cry 5 is certainly not free of errors and other defects such as the blunt AI. But I can't remember any part of the series where I always wanted to keep playing. In Far Cry 5 I'm highly motivated from the beginning to the end, I'm curious about what's to come, but I always have a goal in mind. Certainly, who liked the generic of the earlier Far Cry parts, has to make smaller cuts. But if you are looking for a Far Cry that doesn't repeat itself all the time, that offers real freedom without reducing the action, you will find its fulfilment here. The proverb may read "All good things come in threes", but in relation to the new Far Cry it would have to be changed to "All good things come in five" in my view.

ComiConverse: 4/5
Far Cry 5 does not change the genre, in fact, embraces what made it a favorite series with the audience creating their adventure within beautiful surroundings.

Eurogamer: No score
The real intrigue of the Arcade mode, however, is that it exposes how Ubisoft's open world games have become slaves to a formula. In letting you mingle pieces from several franchises - the skyscrapers of San Francisco towering over the ruins of a daydream Tibet, the cannons of revolutionary France lifting rusted muzzles amid the splintered daylight of backwoods America - the editor reveals their basic interchangeability, the way all of these series default to the same broad framework of killing, conquering and unlocking. This is the core truth of Far Cry, a series that still has a lot going for it, but remains in serious need of a revamp. It is a moribund apparatus of conquest that is unable to tell any story other than the rise to power of a well-armed outsider over a lushly imagined, exoticised realm, however urgently it might try.

GameInformer: 7.5/10
Virtually everything about Far Cry 5 is thoroughly okay. For a series that has provided so many thrills and surprises, that's a major disappointment

TheSixthAxis: 9/10
Far Cry 5 is another improvement to a series that hit its stride quite a long time ago. It gets a recommendation not because of any of its individual features, but because they all combine together into a game that becomes paradoxically funny and horrifying, occasionally at the same time. It depicts a part of America lovingly with its tongue very firmly glued to its cheek, but when I close my eyes, I still see Joseph Seed staring back at me.

Attack of the Fanboy: 9/10
We didn't get it with the last two entries in the series, but Far Cry 5 feels like the generational leap that fans have been waiting for. This installment certainly feels like the biggest in terms of content and it just might be the best Far Cry game to date.

BaziCenter: 8/10
The 5th installment in Far Cry franchise is yet another effort by Ubisoft to build on a successful formula, And while some elements such as story and AI are not as good as we'd expected, the core mechanics of THE gameplay are so great that it's just impossible not to love it. Far Cry 5 tastes as good as its big brother, Far Cry 3. Maybe even tastier.

GamerSyde: No score
Far Cry 5 remains Far Cry, in that its adjustments do not modify the game's DNA. Because of that, this fifth installment is not likely to convince you if you have never truly liked the franchise since 2012. That being said, we still feel that this new episode is more legitimate than Far Cry 4 was and more fun to play in the end. Like many people out there, we suffered from Far Cry fatigue and we thought it would be just the same with Far Cry 5. It turns out we were wrong, but it's quite hard to be sure everyone will feel the same. The world is appealing, the content is huge, but there is clearly not as many innovations as we would have hoped to make it feel different. Still, this new opus is most certainly the best in the franchise so far. We'll see if it'll be enough for the players to join in.

Gadgets360: 8/10
These issues notwithstanding, Far Cry 5 is a welcome entry in a series that's been consistently entertaining over the years. The campaign is filled with memorable characters, robust progression, and action galore that all combine to make it a treat to play.

Wccftech: 9.1/10
If you're wondering whether bringing the madness to our doorstep, making the entire campaign co-op and including an impressive toolbox to create new levels and missions while still retaining that visceral gunplay the series is known for keeps Far Cry 5 fresh and worth playing on Day One, my answer is: yes, absolutely.

Budgetgaming: 78/100
Far Cry 5 has a lot of wasted potential, but when it tells its story, it's pretty good. However, someone who recently played Primal or even Far Cry 4 won't find enough new stuff here to book a trip to Hope County.

Gamer.nl: 7.5/10
If this is your first Far Cry: go for it. If it is not you might want to skip this one seeing as it does not really improve on the formule all that much.

Saving Content: 5/5
Hope County, Montana is the American Dream turned Nightmare. Far Cry 5 is dense with activities, people, places, and events that are never overwhelming, but wrack you with indecision as to what to do next. While Far Cry as a series still struggles with the juxtaposition of its humor and seriousness, it manages to do this well enough to not let them get in the way of each other. Far Cry 5 is a shining example of how to revitalize the open world, as this is the best realized game in the series to date, with a convincing villain and a tale to match its tone. Far Cry 5 will make you a believer.

Slant Magazine: 5/10
In context, though, Far Cry operating as if it's business as usual is the series at its most oblivious. Far Cry 5 takes place in a Montana with no indigenous population, but there's black people on every corner, which is more hilariously implausible than owning a pet bear. And whether intentionally or not, the game gives glory to a brand of grassroots militia fetishism that, just days before the its release, millions of Americans marched in the streets to oppose. It posits that people would need to be brainwashed to follow men like Joseph Seed, blind to how deep Christian fanaticism already runs, and how many would follow such a man if he only said the word "please."

CGMagOnline: 9/10
Far Cry 5 was a blast from start to finish, pulling me into the experience instantly with an Americana rich world full of memorable characters and built with a strong core of addictive first-person gameplay

ACG: Wait for a sale

JeuxVideo.com: 16/20

Gameblog: 8/10

Last edited:

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
0479d01e43444e115ec948c055c57377.jpg

I predicted an 86/100

:o)

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
It's really good. TLDR of my review: It's Far Cry with several quality of life improvements, a gripping story and one of the best antagonists in recent video game history. My review over at Critical Hit:

https://www.criticalhit.net/review/far-cry-5/

Choice is the driving theme in Far Cry 5, a game which opts to venture out of its comfort zone while fine-tuning every aspect of what makes the series so great. It's incredibly relevant, Montana is a gorgeous slice of new terrain that is fraught with peril and the road ahead that Far Cry Arcade represents is exciting to say the least. Simply put, the fifth numbered chapter in Ubisoft's series of madness, freedom and exploration is Far Cry perfected.

90/100

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Already got the gold edition pre-ordered and pre-loaded.

Like, i'd have been fine if the reviews had been "meh, another Far Cry game, 7/10" because that's exactly what i need right now.

Seeing how the changes they've made seem to have been beneficial, too, i'm looking forward to staying up past midnight tonight.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Sorry Far Cry, but my money is on God of War.

GamersGlobal.de gives it a 9.0:
http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/far-cry-5

I liked all the parts of the Far Cry series that have been released so far. Yeah, even part 2, which failed completely on some players. While the innovations there were even bolder than those in Far Cry 5, but with weapons wear and tear or swallowing pills many of them started backwards, the new offshoot continues to develop the series from my point of view. In my opinion, this is even the next level of the open world genre. Because what I expect from a title with an open game world happens here: Here the developer doesn't just stuff more content in, but releases me into freedom, doesn't force me to do annoying tasks, but leaves the decision to me, what I do, in order to achieve a progress in history. And that goes for the character upgrades as well. There is no blunt grinding to unlock certain skills, but a comprehensive basic offer that I influence in the direction of my playing style.

This or Ubisoft Montreal's overemphasized abandonment of the towers does not make Far Cry 5 a completely different game. It's a Far Cry with everything that goes with it. But it is also progress, a further development in many areas that one could not have expected from the "inventors of the Ubisoft" formula. What I find remarkable, however, is not only that Ubisoft enormously eases the Open World constraints, considerably reduces the copy & paste, but not least also that the series with Far Cry 5 also develops narratively. I wouldn't go so far that the story would have grabbed me now as it would be in some purely story-focused games. But with Joseph Seed and his siblings, the developers don't just beat the crap out of me, they confront me with crazy, yet comparatively down-to-earth and really well thought-out opponents.

Far Cry 5 is certainly not free of errors and other defects such as the blunt AI. But I can't remember any part of the series where I always wanted to keep playing. In Far Cry 5 I'm highly motivated from the beginning to the end, I'm curious about what's to come, but I always have a goal in mind. Certainly, who liked the generic of the earlier Far Cry parts, has to make smaller cuts. But if you are looking for a Far Cry that doesn't repeat itself all the time, that offers real freedom without reducing the action, you will find its fulfilment here. The proverb may read "All good things come in threes", but in relation to the new Far Cry it would have to be changed to "All good things come in five" in my view.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm sounds like what I expected. Should have some fun with it but will probably want to sell if I ever get through it. Guess I'm glad I went physical standard from Best Buy.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's been a hot min since i farcry'd

might be a good time to dip back in

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems the main outlier isThe Guardianwhich gave it a 3/5 stars.

This review states the game is set on an island and is out on Friday 27 March. Both which are wrong, so I'll personally take that review with a grain of salt...

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Seems people either love it or think it's just decent. I'm happy with that!

I can't imagine any outlets have really been able to properly experience Arcade yet though?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely pick this up but will wait, Ubisoft games are first to nose dive in prices.
My backlog cannot handle another game right now.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Meta is 84 at the moment which is decent.

That's without Gamespot (9) and IGN (8.9) as they are both currently in progress reviews so that should bump it up to 85 at least

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So stoked to see this doing well! Love the arcade stuff and so forth too. Hope to see that flourish.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember to use the 20% off PSN codes if you have one. Makes it $48 for standard and $72 for Gold edition in the US at least.