• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is bordering on conspiracy theory nonsense tbh. Game pass is designed as games distribution method to boost revenues for the company. Not as a way to obfuscate anything. Nor is Microsoft's PR purposefully misleading.

I'd knock off this console warrior attitude.

Why is it that anytime someone questions Microsoft you try to dissuade them by calling them a console warrior or something to that effect. In all honesty I find that really strange. We're talking about a company that hasn't announced their console sales since 2014 but me saying that they're trying to hide their numbers is a conspiracy theory?

That's an unfair interpretation. We should be able to make a critical point about Microsoft without you making these type of statements. Because it reads as you trying to stifle any negative thought.

Fanboy would be "Micorosft/XBOX sucks" Pointing out that 33K at retail in two weeks is an absolute disaster in my opinion, is my opinion.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that anytime someone questions Microsoft you try to dissuade them by calling them a console warrior or something to that effect. In all honesty I find that really strange. We're talking about a company that hasn't announced their console sales since 2014 but me saying that they're trying to hide their numbers is a conspiracy theory?

That's an unfair interpretation. We should be able to make a critical point about Microsoft without you making these type of statements. Because it reads as you trying to stifle any negative thought.

Fanboy would be "Micorosft/XBOX sucks" Pointing out that 33K at retail in two weeks is an absolute disaster in my opinion, is my opinion.

MS creates XGP to hide games sales is a very dumb theory. Yes.

If you gave it a ounce of thought you wouldn't write it.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
It's weird cause up until release I didn't feel like there is any buzz around it. Is this a classic case of an ERA bubble like we used to have on the old site from time to time? ;)

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's weird cause up until release I didn't feel like there is any buzz around it. Is this a classic case of an ERA bubble like we used to have on the old site from time to time? ;)

This place isn't a place to gauge hype for anything but single player Sony exclusives and Nintendo first party titles.

Everything is either chronically overestimated (Japanese titles are the worst offenders) or chronically underestimated (You would never realise FIFA and COD are consistently the biggest franchises this generation reading this forum).

It's kinda weird because apart from consoles, there are a massive amount of mobile and PC gamers here, but they are left to footnotes for the most part.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't remember Halo Wars 2 causing this much discussion when it released around the same time last year. And I don't remember any of Rare's previous games in the last 15 years generating so much debate. So I can only conclude that SoT must be something special indeed, one way or another. It certainly seems to get people very heated.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Halo Wars 2 causing this much discussion when it released around the same time last year. And I don't remember any of Rare's previous games in the last 15 years generating so much debate. So I can only conclude that SoT must be something special indeed, one way or another. It certainly seems to get people very heated.
Personally I've suspected some people are rattled after the release of the XB1X last fall. Since then there has been a more intense fight over sales, etc.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
ERA might be even worse in gauging interest, especially with the success of the Switch.

リセットERA

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I've suspected some people are rattled after the release of the XB1X last fall. Since then there has been a more intense fight over sales, etc.

XB1 Is selling much better than this year due to price cuts on S and X new sales.

I don't get why people stay mad at a Console doing great when it helps the industry massively.

With that said I fully expect rest of the year to be like this :

US - Ps4 and Xbox winning due to insane line up coming this year (MHW, FC5, MLB, GOW, FH4, RDR2, SPIDEY, DETROIT...) and aggressive price cuts (199$/249$ bundles).

EU - Playstation winning by huge margins and Switch doing amazing across the board too.

Japan - Switch winning by huge margin but Ps4 pulling some respectable numbers.

Rotw - Ps4 winning, Switch close second.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This place isn't a place to gauge hype for anything but single player Sony exclusives and Nintendo first party titles.

Everything is either chronically overestimated (Japanese titles are the worst offenders) or chronically underestimated (You would never realise FIFA and COD are consistently the biggest franchises this generation reading this forum).

It's kinda weird because apart from consoles, there are a massive amount of mobile and PC gamers here, but they are left to footnotes for the most part.

Again it really depends on the franchise.

Take Kirby for example, the OT for it is quite small and yet the game has probably sold about 1.5m copies in its first month on the market.

And at the opposite you have Metroid Prime that isn't a big seller and yet there is a lot of disscussions around the game here.

Multiplat games with critical acclaim like MHW and Celeste were discussed a lot and they deserved it.

You have to take into account that the demo skew older here and it reflects on the general tastes.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Can't say i'm surprised, i knew this game was gonna be huge.

Far Cry 3 was the best thing Ubisoft has ever done, it was the evolution the series needed. It remain one of my favourite games of all times, and it was just a genius idea for the market.
When Far Cry 4 launched i knew the series was still gonna grow, and here we are. Very happy with those performance!

I believe that now the series has reached the peak with this new game... but i believe it will remain consistent with the new games. As for the numbers, i see we are looking at almost 400K including digital?

This is absolutely huge, wow.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I assume the top 40 chart hasn't been published yet? Wanna know for sure if NNK2 charted this week or not. The article in the OP fails to mention it which ain't a good sign.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Congratulations, Far Cry 5. Looks like a giant hit.

So:

Far Cry 5 > 130,000
FIFA 18 ?
Sea of Thieves ~ 11,000

That's a pretty giant drop between the #1 and #3 positions.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

If being #1 and #3 and doing 33K in 2 weeks on retail is a disaster, then retail sales on UK are a disaster.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
If being #1 and #3 and doing 33K in 2 weeks on retail is a disaster, then retail sales on UK are a disaster.
SoT thieves sales is a disaster? Or Uk Retail Sales market is disaster? Only one of your statement's is true as can be evidenced by the fact that Far Cry 5 sold over 200k at retail.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
SoT thieves sales is a disaster? Or Uk Retail Sales market is disaster? Only one of your statement's is true as can be evidenced by the fact that Far Cry 5 sold over 200k at retail.
If 4 of the top 5 games are selling poorly maybe the #1 is an exception. Maybe SoT should be considered an exception. But if only the #1 of the top 5 is selling "well", I don't know what to think about all the other 9 games.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So you post an article covering the whole industry including DLC, MTX and Subscriptions as the growth driver.
That just proves his point.

industry-valuation-2017-v51.jpg

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It's a mixture of having been released for a lot longer, underperforming and meeting expectation. However SoT physical sales have been poor.

The thing is that in the SoT are many factors that we don't know that can determine if it's succes or failure. We will be able to read the truth on Microsoft and Rare's future actions. If the game is doing really bad, Rare will move on quickly to another project and there will be layoffs sooner than later.

I think they will even stop doing dev diaries and promotional stuff soon if the game is not making money.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No his point was retail sales have been poor which as the article has mentioned is not the case.

But they're if you consider Sea of Thieves sales at retail a disaster.
The top percentile for games sold in the UK is basically just 2 games. Fifa and CoD.
The following are all those big games like Far Cry 5 for example.
And next in line are already games the size of Sea of Thieves.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Well deserved, it`s a great game. I`ve never been a big fan of this franchise but I love the fifth entry.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
But they're if you consider Sea of Thieves sales at retail a disaster.
The top percentile for games sold in the UK is basically just 2 games. Fifa and CoD.
The following are all those big games like Far Cry 5 for example.
And next in line are already games the size of Sea of Thieves.
I consider Sea of thieves retail sales poor because it failed sell as much QB which most agreed sold poorly. Also there's quite a gap between <200k and 23k no?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
22K and 11K in two weeks for an XBOX exclusive coming off 2017 which is arguably one of the worst years in it's history, is in my opinion a fucking disaster.

34K in one territory would be ok if the XBOX console had a presence in other EU countries. However, it doesn't.

People can talk about 99.9% digital all they want but I live in the UK and know that in the rest of Europe XBOX as a console doesn't have a significant market share, in terms of units sold, to have a digital presence. The twitch numbers people were using as some measure of success took a nose dive.

Those NPD numbers are coming. And as a community of gamers we're going to have to reconcile Greenberg's tweets and XBOX's PR with the actual numbers. There is no spinning this.

For reference TO1886 sold under 50K I think it was around 40K and that was a fucking disaster too.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
22K and 11K in two weeks for an XBOX exclusive coming off 2017 which is arguably one of the worst years in it's history, is in my opinion a fucking disaster.

34K in one territory would be ok if the XBOX console had a presence in other EU countries. However, it doesn't.

People can talk about 99.9% digital all they want but I live in the UK and know that in the rest of Europe XBOX as a console doesn't have a significant market share, in terms of units sold, to have a digital presence. The twitch numbers people were using as some measure of success took a nose dive.

Those NPD numbers are coming. And as a community of gamers we're going to have to reconcile Greenberg's tweets and XBOX's PR with the actual numbers. There is no spinning this.

For reference TO1886 sold under 50K I think it was around 40K and that was a fucking disaster too.

That bolded section tho.
Like its the apocolypse.