• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
So this is 40$ ?!

WoW surprising !

And the guys on the darsikders III said that pricing didn't matter and lower budget games could be sold full price. Well Ubisoft disagrees.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
They didn't hide it. You are told over and over again what is coming. The only reason it's a shock is because some players refuse to listen. You are shown the nuke, and even the aftermath of the nuke.

It's clear that you're a big fan of the narrative, but I've found that with 5 - and as well as with most of the Far Cry games I've played - the story is always being told at you instead of being something that kind of naturally unravels. Whether it's being pulled out of the game for several minutes on end to be talked to, or listening to intentionally portentous dialogue again and again, I've always that the storytelling aspects were never as engrossing as maybe they were intended to be by some of the writers.

A game can drip with symbolism and still blow it when it comes to giving us sympathetic characters or compelling storylines. It's interesting to see people talk about feeling ambivalent about having to kill Faith because despite her sympathetic origins and introduction into the cult, after being hit by a billion bliss bombs from her and her people and playing through her silly boss fight, I was eager to kill her.

Maybe the most clear sign that we feel differently about the storyline can be found in the fact that while you find the hallucination scenes to be a deep well of foreshadowing (this is not something I disagree with you on), I keep hoping we'll finally get a FC game that excises these predictable trips down the rabbit hole. I don't mind foreshadowing, but I never find these experiences to be worth the forced experience of inevitably shooting at multi-colored animals that'll inevitably dissolve into mist upon my bullet hitting them.

I remember reading this whole deconstruction of Far Cry 3 from one of the game's writers when it came out and finding it fascinating. I remember his point about the "rook" being an intentionally generic name - one that's repurposed, I suppose, in FC5 when your cop companions keep calling you "rook." I remember him talking about how he intended for it to be annoying that the natives only showed up to the outpost after you'd done the heavy work of liberating it. And I found it funny. Until I saw the same thing happen with the outposts in 4. And in 5. And then I realized that it's just a repurposed game mechanic.

There are definitely meta elements to their stories, and I appreciated the inverted white savior mythos of 3, but I also enjoyed 3's storylines because it gave me a bad guy I actually found intriguing - unlike with 5. Even as blasé as much as FC4 was, Pagan Min was entertaining to listen to. And the game didn't force me to stop what I was doing to hear his diatribes. But even with 3 being one of the better FC games, it's funny to look at this same guy spin how dissatisfying the boss fights in that game were as something intentional in this grand meta-narrative. I'd be curious if he'd claim the same thing about the boss fights in 5, which are still pretty mediocre.

To me, the more recent Far Cry games seem more invested in their stories being clever than in being good. And I guess that's the crux of why they don't do much for me in general. Still, I'm eager to learn more about this new game, but I'm not going to get my hopes up when it comes to the story. Story-wise, the Far Cry series is interested in telling stories in a way I never find to really resonate that much with me, but as long as the gunplay is tight then I'm sure I'll have a decent time.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading the USGamer article and it sounds like they're changing how damage works with weapons having levels and such. Having special enemies that didn't die from headshots was already a controversial design element in Far Cry 5, and I'm a bit dubious about Far Cry New Dawn going down the Borderlands route where you end up with, potentially, bullet sponge enemies because your gun that fires lethal lead projectiles isn't "good" enough. This move towards leveled weapons has attracted some criticism in Assassin's Creed.

MHWilliams Any idea which studios are making this game? I remember that in late 2017, Ubisoft founded Ubisoft Berlin and the first project they were gonna be collaborating on was a Far Cry game.
They don't reuse the map from the previous game (which they likely will in big party, as the release is only a year apart)
It's Hope County, but 17 years later. They're reusing the map. It's overgrown and purple and there'll be significant differences due to erosion and having nukes dropped on it, but it'll the same geographic location as the last game. (Although you do leave Hope County on Expedition missions.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I love the far cry spin offs, though this is a virtual sequel more than a spin off, I'm in, looks great.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
MHWilliams Any idea which studios are making this game? I remember that in late 2017, Ubisoft founded Ubisoft Berlin and the first project they were gonna be collaborating on was a Far Cry game.

All the leads are Montreal. Shanghai, Kiev, and Bucharest are the additional studios.

Well this was informative. Would you mind if I linked to these when I do my TGA write-up for Comicon tomorrow?

Go right ahead!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how they've addressed the biggest design flaw in Far Cry 5, BTW. I look forward to this game having the best "Who's a good boy?" mechanics in the industry.

Dtx9JDxXgAAV8Nv.jpg:large

All the leads are Montreal. Shanghai, Kiev, and Bucharest are the additional studios.
Thanks a lot. Makes me wonder what Berlin are working on, then. One thing that stood out is they were hiring a lot of MP-oriented technical people to overhaul the netcode and such in the engine. Maybe Ubisoft are planning a multiplayer Far Cry title down the road? Or maybe Far Cry 6 will have bigger multiplayer.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Probably been said many times before, but not reading 15 pages of far cry, this does not look post apocalyptic at all, haha .

Not sure why people are comparing rage 2. Even though I don't know much about that game, looks way better than this trailer.

Sure seem like a lot of flowers for a nuclear wasteland.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It looks like a less interesting rage 2 and i'm okay with this.

Hoping the plot and characters are better than fc5.

Oct 25, 2017
That cover art is fucking terrible. It makes me worried that the game will be stupid.

Then again, I've loved everything Far Cry to this point, so...

The mainline games generally aren't that stupid. They'll have a couple of dumb missions (5 had more than usual), but they're not dumb games. They also have proper, non-stupid cover art.

Far Cry 2 and 3 weren't very dumb from what I recall

I forgot about the tattoos. It wasn't too over the top dumb, though. Not like some games.

It's funny how you suddenly forgot how "stupid" these games are, so you could concern troll over the cover art. Honestly, I don't really understand how the cover would have translated to it being any more "stupid" when compared to the other games in the series.

Your real concern seems to be about the two black women there and you were obviously trying to dance around it with the nonsense you posted above.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably been said many times before, but not reading 15 pages of far cry, this does not look post apocalyptic at all, haha.

Sure seem like a lot of flowers for a nuclear wasteland.
Contrary to what Fallout taught people, after you blow the shit out of a landscape (including nukes), vegetation returns very quickly. I doesn't sit around for hundreds of years all dusty and drab with parked cars filling the streets because people are too lazy to move them. Far Cry New Dawn is also based on a phenomenon called super bloom. https://earthsky.org/earth/california-desert-superbloom-2017
fleurs-californie-mars2017.jpeg

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I have no desire to play it at all. Fc5 was uninspired and bland. They didn't do nearly enough to evolve the franchise and after 3, 4, Primal, Blood Dragon, 5, and all the dlcs, I'm Far Cry'd out. This series need a break. The fact that they're not even going for the full $60 price point tells you what this is going to be.

It tells you that its going to be more interesting. Blood Dragon and Primal sure were.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's funny how you suddenly forgot how "stupid" these games are, so you could concern troll over the cover art. Honestly, I don't really understand how the cover would have translated to it being any more "stupid" when compared to the other games in the series.

Your real concern seems to be about the two black women there and you were obviously trying to dance around it with the nonsense you posted above.

It truly, honestly isn't. Nice try though! I just don't like how cheesy it is. Especially the guy tied to the car husk.

Not liking the cover art doesn't mean it's for racist reasons, no matter what you make it out to be. The trailer looks good, the characters seem interesting, but that art is amateur.

If you'd take the time to look and actually cared to, you'd see that I'm not the only one who dislikes it.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Contrary to what Fallout taught people, after you blow the shit out of a landscape (including nukes), vegetation returns very quickly. I doesn't sit around for hundreds of years all dusty and drab with parked cars filling the streets because people are too lazy to move them. Far Cry New Dawn is also based on a phenomenon called super bloom. https://earthsky.org/earth/california-desert-superbloom-2017
fleurs-californie-mars2017.jpeg

Ok, thanks , interesting reading . Im no fallout fan but most post apocalyptic sure do go for a different look. So different take is always good.

Will need to see FC5 on the real cheap if I'm even gonna be interested in purchasing this though, as it seems like a big expansion

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will this have the annoying enemies that constantly harass you at every turn?

Because that ruined my desire to explore in Far Cry 5.

Oct 25, 2017
It truly, honestly isn't. Nice try though! I just don't like how cheesy it is. Especially the guy tied to the car husk.

Not liking the cover art doesn't mean it's for racist reasons, no matter what you make it out to be. The trailer looks good, the characters seem interesting, but that art is amateur.
Yes, it's pretty obvious. And of course you don't like that it's a white guy tied to the car there by the two black women. That cover isn't any more cheesy than the 3 I posted above. Sorry, but I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt given that you've been outed as a racist multiple times on this forum.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cl...wisconsin-throws-up-nazi-salute.80492/page-17

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Honestly, this could be a good game but the post-apocalyptic world is surely oversaturated. Too many games doing the same thing and they don't look much different from each other.
Also, i would have changed the pink color theme with something that can reflect in a better way the nature of the two protagonists. Pink seems kinda "forced".

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yes, it's pretty obvious. And of course you don't like that it's a white guy tied to the car there by the two black women. That cover isn't any more cheesy than the 3 I posted above. Sorry, but I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt given that you've been outed as a racist multiple times on this forum.

Meh. Believe what you want. It's not the case, but you have your agenda.

It couldn't possibly be that it looks like cover art for a B-movie, could it? Nope. Gotta be racism. It's not like Far Cry isn't one of my favourite series, and that the cover art often has minorities on it and the games also often feature characters who are black, asian, etc.

Regardless I can't wait to play it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no desire to play it at all. Fc5 was uninspired and bland. They didn't do nearly enough to evolve the franchise and after 3, 4, Primal, Blood Dragon, 5, and all the dlcs, I'm Far Cry'd out. This series need a break.
Whether they've done "enough" to evolve the franchise, I disagree with the subtext/implication of what you're saying. Far Cry 3 was an open world game changer. A huge shift after Far Cry, Far Cry: Instincts, FC: Instincts Evolution, and Far Cry 2. (Although huge chunks of the story and mechanics were lifted from Instincts. They're even recycling Instincts as recently as FC5.) Far Cry 4 was a polished evolution. It was a safe sequel that improved various mechanical elements while traveling to a new location. More of a good thing, basically. Far Cry: Blood Dragon was a fun little joke game that was mainly about the cool cyberpunk atmosphere and the jokes. Far Cry: Primal was a pretty significant shift. It's a Far Cry game without guns. Where heat and cold are core mechanical elements. Where taming animals and having them as companions were key mechanics. Story progression was changed. It's a different creature to FC3/4. I'm not a huge fan, but it's... different. And then along came Far Cry 5, which built upon ideas in Far Cry: Primal, including its Survivor Mode, such as the removal of the minimap. It also took ideas from GR: Wildlands such as non-linear story progression. It ditched towers. It ditched collectathon stuff. It added planes. It added really interesting named companion characters and randomized ones who were shockingly well executed. You recruited a random NPC, and they walked with you, rode with you, and they felt like real people almost on par with the "real" companions. A remarkable accomplishment, IMO. It added Homefront: The Revolution-style Stashes which were environmental puzzles that filled the hole the towers left behind. I personally think Far Cry 5 could have gone further. I think it could have executed certain ideas better. But the difference between Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 5 is huge. You may have had enough, and that's totally fair, but they have really tried to innovate and experiment with each new game, rolling these new ideas in a refined form into the next game.
The fact that they're not even going for the full $60 price point tells you what this is going to be.
The modern equivalent of a standalone expansion pack. They used to be pretty common before bite-sized DLC took over. I'm expecting something on par with Dying Light: The Following. These kind of games are a great way to use existing assets and production pipeline stuff to allow a team to make an experimental game with a 12-18 month turnaround. They can try new narrative ideas. They can try new game mechanics. They can try new structural stuff. Instead of taking 3+ years and having to make the game as mainstream as possible, these kind of side projects can be more experimental. Expectations are different. The stuff that works in Far Cry: New Dawn will make its way into Far Cry 6, just as experiments in FC: Primal that worked out made their way into Far Cry 5.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Even if it does seem to be an expansion, and even if it does use the same map, what's the problem if they change things up and the game is fun with a good story and shows that effort was put into the gameplay, story and characters? Like Primal, which got a bad rep for reusing the shell of the previous game's map but was an absolute blast.

I'd rather have this to play than not, and it'll make the wait for the next new and full Far Cry sequel easier. They started a new studio that is to be working on Far Cry.

Roy Mastang

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Jesus Christ people! Stop obsessing about people's colors and play the game when it comes out IF you like the gameplay.

Your attitude is tiring. Really

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I've been reading the USGamer article and it sounds like they're changing how damage works with weapons having levels and such. Having special enemies that didn't die from headshots was already a controversial design element in Far Cry 5, and I'm a bit dubious about Far Cry New Dawn going down the Borderlands route where you end up with, potentially, bullet sponge enemies because your gun that fires lethal lead projectiles isn't "good" enough. This move towards leveled weapons has attracted some criticism in Assassin's Creed.

From what I've seen in the gameplay footage, there are only three levels (or tiers, as they're called in-game). They likely represent easy, average and hard. I seriously doubt they're going to go with bullet sponges that take 5 minutes to kill.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, this is actually reasonably priced on Steam here (£37.99) considering some games can be £55-£60 these days. Shame my PC needs an upgrade so probably couldn't run it.

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Believe what you want. It's not the case, but you have your agenda.

It couldn't possibly be that it looks like cover art for a B-movie, could it? Nope. Gotta be racism. It's not like Far Cry isn't one of my favourite series, and that the cover art often has minorities on it and the games also often feature characters who are black, asian, etc.

Regardless I can't wait to play it.
"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. "

They also have proper, non-stupid cover art.

You jumped through quite a few hoops to paint the cover as something remarkably different from past games when it isn't. One of your gripes is that you don't like that there's a guy tied to the car and that it is amateurish. How is that any different from having two people hanging upside down from a tree, or buried alive, or have their hands tied behind them with sinner scrawled across their backs? Somehow those aren't cheesy or amateurish, but this one is? You're not fooling anybody.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
What? Bethesda hasn't revealed anything about The New Blood aside from the protagonists, the setting and the co-op support. There's been zero information or footage of actual gameplay.

More in general. TNO wasn't that good and was a bit of a mess, Wolfenstein II was pretty bad. It just came to mind because we're talking about modern expansion like games. It reminded me of how bad Wolfenstein II was and how little faith I have in this new one.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. "

You jumped through quite a few hoops to paint the cover as something remarkably different from past games when it isn't. One of your gripes is that you don't like that there's a guy tied to the car and that it is amateurish. How is that any different from having two people hanging upside down from a tree, or buried alive, or have their hands tied behind them with sinner scrawled across their backs? Somehow those aren't cheesy or amateurish, but this one is? You're not fooling anybody.

It looks like something out of a cheesy b-movie, more-so than anything from any other Far Cry game. Far Cry 2 had the best art, Far Cry 3's was a lot better than this (and Vaas was great), and Far Cry 5's was decent with its take on The Last Supper. Look at this art and tell me it isn't cheesy and silly looking, and that it doesn't look like a cheesy action movie's cover. That's the issue I have with it. I don't care if the characters on the cover are green, blue, purple, black, white or yellow.

It's like RAGE 2 in some ways. A punk rock type of look. When I saw that in RAGE 2's marketing it worried me, too. Am I racist for thinking that as well? You can look up those posts too.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
It's clear that you're a big fan of the narrative, but I've found that with 5 - and as well as with most of the Far Cry games I've played - the story is always being told at you instead of being something that kind of naturally unravels. Whether it's being pulled out of the game for several minutes on end to be talked to, or listening to intentionally portentous dialogue again and again, I've always that the storytelling aspects were never as engrossing as maybe they were intended to be by some of the writers.

To me, the more recent Far Cry games seem more invested in their stories being clever than in being good. And I guess that's the crux of why they don't do much for me in general. Still, I'm eager to learn more about this new game, but I'm not going to get my hopes up when it comes to the story. Story-wise, the Far Cry series is interested in telling stories in a way I never find to really resonate that much with me, but as long as the gunplay is tight then I'm sure I'll have a decent time.

I agree with this completely. I have skipped FC5 mainly because I don't care for the style of storytelling used in FC4 where it was mostly a series of several minute long "I want you to do this, you will do this without asking questions. Go do it." cutscenes. There's a sense of pretentiousness to the writing where I can almost see the smugness on the writer's faces when they pat each other's backs on how clever they think they are.

Having to kill a lot of virtual animals for no good reason has also sat wrong for me. The "all these animals have gone crazy" thing they used is nothing more than an excuse for bad AI. It seems at least in this new one you will have some more animal buddies and that's a welcome change.

I just hope they have also gotten rid of the "Here is mission of type X. It plays exactly the same as the previous one. Collect them all" design.

Also what the hell is with music choices in trailers this year? This game, MK 11 and Outer Worlds trailers have had some really poorly fitting music.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
More in general. TNO wasn't that good and was a bit of a mess, Wolfenstein II was pretty bad. It just came to mind because we're talking about modern expansion like games. It reminded me of how bad Wolfenstein II was and how little faith I have in this new one.

To each their own, I suppose. I enjoyed both TNO and TNC. I also played both on PC with MKB so I didn't have any issues dealing with the flanking enemies or open-ended level design. I thought the gunplay was great, butchering Nazis with a hatchet never got old and the writing was surprisingly good too. I'm really interested in seeing what they do with TNB, especially given the giant lapse in time since TNC. I'm even more interested in seeing what they do with Wolfenstein 3.

Having to kill a lot of virtual animals for no good reason has also sat wrong for me. The "all these animals have gone crazy" thing they used is nothing more than an excuse for bad AI. It seems at least in this new one you will have some more animal buddies and that's a welcome change.

You really should play a game before criticizing it. FC5 has three animal buddies (a dog, a cougar and a bear). Animal enemies add variety to the combat and lots of potential humor too. FC5 is technically the best FC. It has the strongest systems and mechanics and the best structure. Having played all of the previous games, I was skeptical about FC5 (especially with its seemingly mundane setting) but I ended up enjoying it the most.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's better than Andrew WK

^This was a response to the post about the ill fitting music.

To each their own, I suppose. I enjoyed both TNO and TNC. I also played both on PC with MKB so I didn't have any issues dealing with the flanking enemies or open-ended level design. I thought the gunplay was great, butchering Nazis with a hatchet never got old and the writing was surprisingly good too. I'm really interested in seeing what they do with TNB, especially given the giant lapse in time since TNC. I'm even more interested in seeing what they do with Wolfenstein 3.

Yep. As always. I respect that other people like them even if I don't understand how anyone can like Wolfenstein II.

I wanted to like them a lot. I've played the last four Wolfenstein games and grew up with Wolfenstein 3D. I liked Raven's game best. Unfortunately I missed the best one, a couple of generations back.

TNO had its moments and I'm never going to call it a bad game. It isn't. It's just not the masterpiece people online were calling it, to me. I played it on uber difficulty then switched to hard but it didn't feel much different. Enemies would spawn behind me and be perfect shots, and the final boss was an absolute bullet sponge.

The game was just okay. Wolfenstein II was a mess though. All of its difficulties except for easy were insane, enemies were bullet sponges, you lost health easily, the forced stealth was TERRIBLE, and the level design was bad.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like something out of a cheesy b-movie, more-so than anything from any other Far Cry game. Far Cry 2 had the best art, Far Cry 3's was a lot better than this (and Vaas was great), and Far Cry 5's was decent with its take on The Last Supper. Look at this art and tell me it isn't cheesy and silly looking, and that it doesn't look like a cheesy action movie's cover. That's the issue I have with it. I don't care if the characters on the cover are green, blue, purple, black, white or yellow.

It's like RAGE 2 in some ways. A punk rock type of look. When I saw that in RAGE 2's marketing it worried me, too. Am I racist for thinking that as well? You can look up those posts too.
I'm looking at it, and no, I don't find it to be any more cheesy or b-movie-like than 3, 4, or 5. And I think you're a racist, because you make racist statements.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm just going off what you post. If you don't want to be seen as a racist, then don't be one. It seems you can't help yourself though.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nh...-and-bargainbins.17313/page-236#post-10860379

I already apologized for that and said it wasn't like me, and that I'd moved on from it/don't agree with what I said anymore. I haven't said anything similar since. People do make mistakes y'know. Doesn't mean that I dislike this cover because it has two black women on it.

Sorry I'm not perfect like you. My shit stinks.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed FC 5 but I need some more time to elapse before I play this. Especially since the start of 2019 will see me playing AC: Odyssey and Just Cause 4 and then Crackdown launching on the same day as New Dawn.

Crackdown has dibs.

So New Dawn will have to wait till summer before I grab it.

Poor Days Gone is looking like a late August/Early September "I'm so desperate for something new to play" purchase at this stage.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this should be pushed to march/ april as Feb already has too many games and feel its still too soon for a new far cry game.