• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People: "It's looks like DLC and builds uppon FC 5."

Yeah, maybe it is just standalone DLC. And that's why they are asking only 44.99€ for this standalone expansion pack. That's just 5€ more then they ask for the AC:Odyssey Season pass.

fc6pricercbi1d.jpg

They aren't even calling it Far Cry 6. It's just Far Cry: New Dawn
It is a standalone expansion pack and priced accordingly.

You can also use Uplay's 20% off code on it. 35.99€ is not bad at all.

66K0BVJ.jpg

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I wasn't super happy with the ending ... It felt like the wrong place to stop, so I was really irritated. However, I'm pretty excited that the story will continue, and it makes me look back more favorably on 5.
The ending was hella abrupt and I remember a lot of friends complaining that they wished they could explore the world in the aftermath. I think abrupt endings work better in film. With videogames, a post-game is generally advisable to wrap up loose ends. Even something as simple as walking around the bunker for 30 minutes. But a lot of people, myself included, wanted to step outside and witness the new dawn so to speak.

Ubisoft do need to explore ways of adding layers and ambiguity to the story that don't involve drugs. The Alice in Wonderland thing is wearing a little thin. Far Cry 5's bliss ended up muddling the plot more than it added to it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And again, all of your 7 seals stuff is conjecture.
This is a bit of a late response, and I did reply earlier, but I recently discovered that Ubisoft changed the first loadscreen in one of the patches, and felt it was worth talking about. The original version was a random quote from Joseph, such as:

originalversionfc559fcv.png

But at some point they changed the first loadscreen. The first loadscreen (When you hit New Game) is no longer random.

sevensealsc7cyu.png

Naturally, anything beyond this is theory. Conjecture. (But Ubisoft themselves have always argued that Far Cry games are supposed to have hidden meanings. And Far Cry 3's writer pointed to the fact FC3 opens with an Alice in Wonderland quote as being the key to understanding the meaning of the story.) Who is The Lamb? Is it meant to be Joseph or Rook? That's an important question that the game never gives an answer to. You keep killing people, and every time you do, Joseph says, "Another seal has been opened." But does this mean you are the one opening them? Or is someone else opening them and your actions are just in response to that?

There's an overt piece of foreshadowing in the opening sequence, on the TV in the corner.
waragainstthelamburchs.png

"They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings--and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers."

"The Lamb" comes up over and over again in the story. (And as I mentioned earlier, there is some significance in the fact The Lamb, in Isaiah 53:7 is referred to as such: "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth." Yes, it's probably 90% Ubisoft chasing "immersion", but the fact Rook never speaks is eyebrow raising. Also Rook has 12 followers and Joseph doesn't. In the context of the story, Joseph sees himself as The Lamb. But Faith says, "Joseph thinks he's our savior. But you'll decide what happens. You were the start. You'll be the end."

Furthermore, the New Game loadscreen is from Revelation 5. It is followed in the book by, "Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals." Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders." Ubisoft did not accidentally refer to The Lamb over and over again when they could have picked other verses. (Also, the church you find Grace at is called the Lamb of God church, incidentally.)

A lot of these references can either point to Joseph being The Lamb, or to Rook being The Lamb. And that's likely intentional on Ubisoft's part. But ultimately, none of this stuff is accidental. It's not just throwaway details. They put a significant amount of effort into making the plot line up with the opening of the seven seals, and then altered the game post-release to make sure people understand that, yes, the game is about the seven seals. Just in case Joseph saying "seal" over and over didn't tip audiences off. Accepting a theory about the story uncritically isn't wise, of course, but Ubisoft did 100% intend for such theories.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting and I do enjoy the gunplay of Far Cry games. When it comes down to $20-$25 I'll jump in. I enjoyed 5 a lot more than 4 so I skipped Primal.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Looks interesting. I have no problem with asset reuse if they've done some more work on top of it. Yakuza has been reusing the same town since day 1 and they still make amazing game after game.

In fact, at least for open world game, I wish more developer reuse the world and spent their effort in making the world more interesting amd stuff.

If SpiderMan 2 is announced, I hope they didn't throw away the city, but rather update it, add more detail here and there, more acitivities, more building you can enter etc.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
this is going to do about as well as Far Cry Primal...translation: not well at all

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Far Cry Primal was the best performing February game release in history. Far Cry 5 was one of the biggest games of last year, and this is a direct sequel to it.

best performing February release lol...yup so many big AAA games come out in February...Ubisoft is king of February lol...I enjoyed Far Cry 5 but this sounds like it should have been DLC

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
best performing February release lol...yup so many big AAA games come out in February...Ubisoft is king of February lol...I enjoyed Far Cry 5 but this sounds like it should have been DLC
Very few people play story DLC for games. If you're going to create a sequel to Far Cry 5, then releasing it as story DLC that 10% of players will play isn't a good idea. It's a standalone expansion pack akin to Far Cry: Instincts Evolution. These used to be totally normal before bite sized DLC became a thing.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Very few people play story DLC for games. If you're going to create a sequel to Far Cry 5, then releasing it as story DLC that 10% of players will play isn't a good idea. It's a standalone expansion pack akin to Far Cry: Instincts Evolution. These used to be totally normal before bite sized DLC became a thing.

the difference is that expansion packs required the base game to be installed...so New Dawn is not trying to be an expansion but rather a new game set in the same universe...I think this was originally planned as DLC but then it grew in size and Ubisoft decided to make this into a new game

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Landscape's starting to change a bit. Capcom is taking over January for instance. And Far Cry 5 was delayed from last February or else it would've kept up the trend.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the difference is that expansion packs required the base game to be installed...so New Dawn is not trying to be an expansion but rather a new game set in the same universe...I think this was originally planned as DLC but then it grew in size and Ubisoft decided to make this into a new game
It's called a standalone expansion pack. A very good example is FEAR: Perseus Mandate.
fear-perseus-mandatex7ku4.jpg

They're basically an expansion pack except you don't need the original game. As for why they're not simply regarded as ordinary sequels, that's largely due to scope and budget concerns. They're typically larger than the lightweight content that passes for a "DLC". Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 are also essentially standalone expansions to Half-Life 2.

Some modern examples include Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, and Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell. Bethesda seem fond of the concept. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone expansion. As is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Ubisoft have dabbled with the idea before. Far Cry: Blood Dragon was a low cost spinoff of Far Cry 3 that was standalone instead of requiring the base game. Far Cry Primal sat in a really weird spot because unlike most expansion packs it didn't have the typical narrative ties to the base game. (It was basically a more literal version of those Shangri-La stories from FC4.)

Far Cry New Dawn is the sequel to Far Cry 5. Story sequel, returning characters, etc. But it's a standalone expansion, much like FEAR: Perseus Mandate was. If FEAR: Extraction Point hadn't required FEAR, it would have been the same.

Deleted member 18095

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infamous new light?

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
I just started Far Cry 5 on hard - what the hell with the opening car chase mission? Must have tried 20 times, putting me off continuing tbh.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I liked how it looked. I'm usually pretty picky, so what did I miss here? Ps4, HDR
Thought it looked great? What was broken and messy about it?

it may be PC specific as i checked some vids on gamersyde of the xbox x version and it seemed fine. basically everytime you move everything turns into a smeary, shimmery mess.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oxym41FQUvL4E7Upnf2MUejMzcFPMfFt

download it to see in proper quality

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is New Dawn considerably shorter than your average Far Cry game? I noticed its being sold for $40 right out of the gate.

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's been absolutely no marketing for this and there is no hype for it. I know it's technically a smaller game like primal but still. I don't know what Ubisoft are doing over there but I think they need to let that series rest for a while, it's become too oversaturated since 3. Let it rest, stop reusing the same ideas, go back to the drawing board and come back in the late 2020's when you have let the series breathe for abit. Do the dinosaur shit everyone wanted you to after 3. Or just do blood dragon again and make everyone happy.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
this is going to do about as well as Far Cry Primal...translation: not well at all

I know this thread is old and this post as well, but...buddy, don't pull facts out of your ass. Primal sold extremely well even without the 70 million dollar marketing budgets of Ubisoft tentpoles. It was a big money maker and this looks to follow in the same vein.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shorter than a main game I think but should be similar size to something like Far Cry Primal.
The game's structure appears to be more like Primal, as well. You gather resources and people for your home base, and when you hit milestones, the plot progresses (or more precisely you can make it progress. Automated progression wasn't super well received in FC5.) Interesting, when you complete missions in co-op, both co-op partners gain resources, so this partially solves the co-op progress caveats that Far Cry 5 had. They game also seems to have a fair bit of time sink content such as treasure hunts. Keep the player distracted trying to solve puzzles instead of burning through story content. Also the Expeditions seem designed to appeal to players who want to tackle a mission over and over in different ways.
I know it's technically a smaller game like primal but still. I don't know what Ubisoft are doing over there but I think they need to let that series rest for a while, it's become too oversaturated since 3.
They have released a new Far Cry game every two years since Far Cry 3.

FC3 - 2012
FC4 - 2014
FC Primal - 2016
FC5 - 2018

One of which was a highly experimental title with no guns that revolved around taming animals. (There's also Blood Dragon, but that was basically a slightly late April Fool's joke.)

Far Cry New Dawn is a standalone expansion for Far Cry 5. It's like Burial at Sea for Bioshock: Infinite, except standalone and much longer. It's the game's missing final act, essentially. It'll either be a fitting conclusion to the narrative or a complete mess that retroactively ruins its predecessor.
Let it rest, stop reusing the same ideas, go back to the drawing board and come back in the late 2020's when you have let the series breathe for abit.
They did go back to the drawing board. Scrapped core design elements of the series. Introduced new ones. That's why Far Cry 5 was so different to the games before it -- although it built upon ideas found in Primal's post-release Survivor Mode -- and so controversial as a result.
Do the dinosaur shit everyone wanted you to after 3. Or just do blood dragon again and make everyone happy.
Far Cry was originally supposed to be about aliens resurrecting dinosaurs to take over the planet. But the dinosaur idea never worked out. We got Trigen instead. And then Crytek went off to do squid space aliens.

Far Cry Blood Dragon was a joke game propped up almost entirely by its jokes. It's the sort of game that works in bite sized pieces. It's a one trick pony. It does the trick, people laugh. It does it again, people lose interest. Comedy games are a tough sell.

Last edited:

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
The game's structure appears to be more like Primal, as well. You gather resources and people for your home base, and when you hit milestones, the plot progresses (or more precisely you can make it progress. Automated progression wasn't super well received in FC5.) Interesting, when you complete missions in co-op, both co-op partners gain resources, so this partially solves the co-op progress caveats that Far Cry 5 had. They game also seems to have a fair bit of time sink content such as treasure hunts. Keep the player distracted trying to solve puzzles instead of burning through story content. Also the Expeditions seem designed to appeal to players who want to tackle a mission over and over in different ways.
What kind of puzzles are in there? While I agree there is very little hype for this, I'm def. in. Loved 5

Does anyone know when the review embargo is up?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
There's been absolutely no marketing for this and there is no hype for it. I know it's technically a smaller game like primal but still. I don't know what Ubisoft are doing over there but I think they need to let that series rest for a while, it's become too oversaturated since 3. Let it rest, stop reusing the same ideas, go back to the drawing board and come back in the late 2020's when you have let the series breathe for abit. Do the dinosaur shit everyone wanted you to after 3. Or just do blood dragon again and make everyone happy.

I know that's the Era bubble speaking but why let it rest? Far Cry 5 broke records and was the fastest selling FC game and one of the best selling 2018 games. The franchise is now bigger that it's ever been. No reason to "let it rest". It's doing better and better with each main entry.

Just because Era isn't hyped for it, that doesn't mean there's no hype for it.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I loved FC5, but Metro Exodus will shit all over this, is my guess. I'm a Far Cry fan, but I didn't even realized it releases in a few days. I don't have any hype at all for this.

Feb 10, 2018
It's called a standalone expansion pack. A very good example is FEAR: Perseus Mandate.
fear-perseus-mandatex7ku4.jpg

They're basically an expansion pack except you don't need the original game. As for why they're not simply regarded as ordinary sequels, that's largely due to scope and budget concerns. They're typically larger than the lightweight content that passes for a "DLC". Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 are also essentially standalone expansions to Half-Life 2.

Some modern examples include Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, and Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell. Bethesda seem fond of the concept. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone expansion. As is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider. Ubisoft have dabbled with the idea before. Far Cry: Blood Dragon was a low cost spinoff of Far Cry 3 that was standalone instead of requiring the base game. Far Cry Primal sat in a really weird spot because unlike most expansion packs it didn't have the typical narrative ties to the base game. (It was basically a more literal version of those Shangri-La stories from FC4.)

Far Cry New Dawn is the sequel to Far Cry 5. Story sequel, returning characters, etc. But it's a standalone expansion, much like FEAR: Perseus Mandate was. If FEAR: Extraction Point hadn't required FEAR, it would have been the same.

Also Alan wake American nightmare and uncharted: LL are stand alone expansions
Theres more to that I can't remember.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I loved Far Cry 5 after being out of the series since Far Cry 3. While not the most compelling narrative, I did enjoy clearing the map, and the game got me heavily invested in researching Waco due to Joseph Seed's alarming similarities to David Koresh. (I heavily recommend Waco with Michael Shannon and Taylor Kitsch if you've not seen it yet)

While New Dawn feels ultra wacky, I think it'll be a nice change of pace compared to Far Cry 5's somewhat serious tones. Consider me hyped.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Finished Far Cry 5 and really enjoyed it, its far from the best in the series but its still good.
Will pick this up on sale

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of puzzles are in there?
From what I've read, they've basically taken the Resistance Stashes from FC5 and made them more complicated and less guided. They also seem to have a mechanic reminiscent of the Captured Memories mechanic in Breath of the Wild. You pick up photographs from before the Collapse, and find those locations in the modern day.
There are new events that fit the post-apocalyptic theme, including supply drops, looting enemy cargo, treasure hunts and a personal favourite of ours, photo location hunting.

The idea is simple; you find a photo of a landmark or location in Hope County before the nuclear blast, and then try to locate it. You then hold the photo out in front of you for a nice then-and-now comparison, and get yourself a nice reward. It's an interesting style of photography that works well in the world that New Dawn is set, and encourages you to explore even once you've found all photos scattered throughout the environment.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/games/far-cry-new-dawn-3690870/

While New Dawn feels ultra wacky, I think it'll be a nice change of pace compared to Far Cry 5's somewhat serious tones. Consider me hyped.
I wouldn't count on New Dawn being Blood Dragon-esque wacky. It'll have the usual quirky quests that every Far Cry since Far Cry 3 has tossed in, but it's not Borderlands. Granted, the tone of the narrative is a little hard to judge because Ubi seem to be hardcore NDAing and doing takedowns on story stuff. They've even taken down the main menu music some people posted.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
How is the coop in New Dawn? Does only the host get the quest/story progression like in Far Cry 5 or did they change that?

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same according to the trophy list :(

What a shame. That's what made me not buy Far Cry 5. So a question regarding the coop then. Can both players start quests in coop or only the host? I mean that we do quest 1, finish it and then the partner starts quest 1 as well. Or would we have to switch hosts?