• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IN0C76w.png

TGUDU4X.png

Release Date:
  • February 15, 2019
Developer and Publisher: Ubisoft
Platform(s): PS4,Xbox One,PC
Price(s):
  • Standard Edition: $39.99
  • Deluxe Edition: $49.99
    Content_FC-New_Dawn.jpg
  • Preordering gets you a Unicorn Trike skin.
  • Completing Far Cry 5 will unlock the Rookie Outfit and Sin Eater D2 shotgun skin.

7yLUtEI.png

• The sequel to last years Far Cry 5.
  • Takes place 17 years after the events of Far Cry 5 in the "super bloom" phase of a post-nuke world.
  • The game will have light RPG elements such as being able to craft weapons that have ranks and you'll be able to level them up.
  • Your doggo companion can ride in the car with you.
fZQp9xw.png

• Official Site
  • Ubisoft Twitter
  • Far Cry Official Twitter
  • Official Fan Kit
  • PC Specs (more such as 4K requirements at the link):
  • MINIMUM CONFIGURATION:
    • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions only)
    • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX 6350 @ 3.9 GHz
    • RAM: 8GB
    • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) or AMD Radeon R9 270X (2GB) or better
    • RESOLUTION: 720p
    • VIDEO PRESET: Low
    • DIRECTX: DirectX June2010 Redistributable
    • SOUND: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
    • HARD DRIVE: 30 GB available space
    • PERIPHERALS: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset
  • RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION:
    • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64bit versions only)
    • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz
    • RAM: 8GB
    • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290X (4GB) or better
    • RESOLUTION: 1080p
    • VIDEO PRESET: High
    • DIRECTX: DirectX June2010 Redistributable
    • SOUND: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers
    • HARD DRIVE: 30 GB available space
    • PERIPHERALS: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, headset
hLOQJVM.png

Screenshots:

Trailers:

Extra Fun Video:

RWNcuaO.png

Metacritic- 73%

Opencritic- 74%

Kotaku
The end result is a game that I enjoyed but which also frustrated me greatly. On some levels it is crass and annoying. Far too many of its citizens are prone to stupid dick jokes and its tone can vary wildly from scene to scene. It is often tired with its metaphor and fails to think through the implications of its tropes, even as it remains fair-paced and occasionally introspective. Its raw gameplay is both satisfying but also so remarkably shifted away from the complexities of series critical darling Far Cry 2 that additional veneers of gloss—damage numbers, enemy rarities, and the baffling decision to allow players to purchase crafting materials—make it clear that the series will never reclaim its messier, more interesting ideas. But if I dig deeper, scratching off the fine varnish of AAA quality and safety, there are pieces of a genuinely interesting game. Whether that is the vivid art direction or a willingness to address its themes with a great degree of awareness than previous titles, New Dawn has instances where everything comes together.

IGN- 7.5/10
That, along with the occasional graphical bug, is one of the features that makes New Dawn feel like a more "budget" version of Far Cry – which is probably why Ubisoft's asking $40 instead of $60. But returning to the same map didn't keep me from enjoying it. You start out in a different spot than you did in Far Cry 5, and the whole thing needs to be uncovered from fog all over again. Every so often I'd stumble onto a location that I remembered, and that familiarity is actually kind of cool. It's also fun to take a friend through in the two-player co-op, even if they missed Far Cry 5.

The Verge
Unfortunately, New Dawn doesn't go far enough. Its vibrant apocalyptic world is an entertaining playground, but also doesn't feel all that different from past Far Cry games. Worse, it gets away from Far Cry 5's freeform structure with tedious but necessary grinding, particularly towards the end. It's still fun in that "anything goes" way Far Cry always is. But New Dawn mostly feels like a missed opportunity.

Press Start- 9/10
The narrative progression is relatively simple, and is only triggered by main quests – but being a typical Far Cry game, there is so much to do within the world that you're never likely to get bored. Capturing Outposts allows you to raise your Ethanol stash, which in turn helps you upgrade Prosperity as well as its many outlets such as Garage, Weapons, Infirmary and Cartology. You can then choose to keep the Outpost, or to 'Escalate' – meaning the Highwaymen recapture it, and it gets more difficult. These are particularly fun when you're in the mood for some bloodshed, as you can choose to go in stealthily and eliminate all enemies, or go in guns blazing and fight off hordes of Highwaymen as they call in backup. Beware though, every escalation brings tougher enemies as well as Enforcers, who are really tough to take down.

Cog Connected- 77
Far Cry New Dawn sets out to continue the story where Far Cry 5 left off in a fresh new take on what the apocalypse means. The detail in every aesthetic is absolutely gorgeous, and the sense of isolation when out on the road feels eerie but real. The system for upgrading Prosperity means you always have something important to do and the game does a good job of putting you in the shoes of someone trained to survive, however the lack of creative new weapons, apocalyptic customization, and what feels like less content than its predecessor really hold New Dawn's potential back. If Far Cry 5 didn't exist, New Dawn could easily have been a new narrative on its own, but because we have something close to compare it to the only saving grace for its fewer features is it's reduced launch price. If you had a good time in Far Cry 5 and enjoy lite survival mechanics, you'll have a blast tearing through Hope County, but as a stand-alone Far Cry entry it doesn't quite hit its mark.

IxSbYW7.png

• Q: Do I need to play Far Cry 5 to understand this one?
    • A: Considering that Ubisoft spoiled the ending in the announcement trailer, you can if you want too. It goes into the cult's doings and how everything ended up the way it did, so if you're interested in all the back story of this game you can play it.
  • Q: Who is The Father?
    • A: The Father.
  • Q: Who are the twins?
    • Mickey and Lou are twins who were kids when the nukes fell. As the years dragged on they became a duo of merciless leaders for the Highwaymen. You'll be encountering this pair throughout your adventures and discovering all the things they're doing to any remaining survivors.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great job!

I won't end up getting it on release because I want to see how the RPG elements are but it looks really good and more of what I wanted from 5 (minus the RPG elements because I am undecided on them).

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't realize this was only $40. Still, after the lackluster FC5 I'm going to wait on this one. Hope it ends up being good, I do enjoy the Far Cry formula generally.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Nice job. I have it pre-ordered and can't wait to dive in tomorrow night. 5 was a lot of fun so I have high hopes this will be too.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for reviews on this one. Hopefully it's better than 5. The story and premise were godawful.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loooooved FC5. Even got the platinum. But I'm going to get this later. Maybe I can sandwich it between Metro and Sekiro.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed FC5, I'm just wondering if this is going to be a fresh enough experience to justify a Day One purchase.

When are the reviews dropping?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed 5 a lot, gorgeous game that ironically I finished like a week before I got my 4K/HDR setup.

Sadly, this will have to wait until I'm done getting Artyom wherever he's Exodusing to.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally think the game looks extremely promising. It's visually stunning. The shift to a rich palette has made some people very insecure about their masculinity, but it makes the game pop. Reminds me of how rich the original Far Cry looked compared to its contemporaries.

It's kinda like Far Cry's equivalent of Dying Light: The Following, thinking about it. I just hope the various new game systems gel together, and I hope the narrative complements FC5 in an effective way. Can't say I'm a fan of the silent protagonist approach here, but we'll see how it pans out.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great, I just might grab it on launch. Gonna be a busy Friday lol

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Please no more forced story missions when I'm doing my own thing and exploring the world that,you know,you created for me to explore Ubisoft...

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Nice OT.
Really looking forward to Friday, with Far Cry, and Metro!
Its gonna be very difficult to choose which one to play first lol

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered already. Thanks to that Year In Gaming email sent out by MS I found out I actually played FC5 more than any other game on the X. That tells me what I already knew. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Considering it was $40 it was a no brainer. Even if it is more of the same, which it does not seem like it is, I should enjoy it. My only thing is I will probably check out Crackdown 3 first since I am playing it via GamePass and I already own this game. We will see though, might not be able to help myself and will play this game first.

Pretty damn good few months for games starting Friday. That is for sure. Another Far Cry game is a good way to kick that all off too. At least for me.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please no more forced story missions when I'm doing my own thing and exploring the world that,you know,you created for me to explore Ubisoft...
The progression structure is more like Primal now. You gather resources and people to build up your home base in a nonlinear manner, and there are milestones that advance the central narrative. As far as I can tell, story progression is player triggered as it was in Primal instead of automated as it was in FC5.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cults are my current obsession, so I was all about FC5. Can't wait for this.

I'm going to let the colors wash over me in an awesome wave.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably play through Crackdown 3 first but this is next on my list. Really enjoyed FC5 last year and from the previews it sounds like they don't force story progression on you which was my biggest gripe with the last game.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
They did away with that apparently, thank god.

The progression structure is more like Primal now. You gather resources and people to build up your home base in a nonlinear manner, and there are milestones that advance the central narrative. As far as I can tell, story progression is player triggered as it was in Primal instead of automated as it was in FC5.

That's good to hear,thanks!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Have it all installed on my One X but I don't know if I'll touch it much tomorrow because of Crackdown and the RPG elements are super off putting. Wish Ubisoft would hop off the RPG shit before we get a Trials RPG or something.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Can I just straight up buy the outfit from blood dragon on the store? I remember some sort of silver currency in 5 you could find in game or buy to unlock stuff.

I would rather use it from the start than pray to RNJesus for drops.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've been playing for a week (on and off) and this is what I can say. Please note I can't actually say too much because the review embargo is set for tomorrow @ 6AM EST, so I'll keep it short until then out of respect for UBI.

The game is very disappointing. It feels like a free DLC more than anything. It's very repetitive and shallow. I'll tell you more tomorrow in my official review.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been playing for a week (on and off) and this is what I can say. Please note I can't actually say too much because the review embargo is set for tomorrow @ 6AM EST, so I'll keep it short until then out of respect for UBI.

The game is very disappointing. It feels like a free DLC more than anything. It's very repetitive and shallow. I'll tell you more tomorrow in my official review.

That's the feeling I got from the previews. Not necessarily a bad thing if you liked the base in the first place - I think people would be fine with another 20-25 hours of FC5 with some minor improvements.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I admit that I was sold as soon as I saw the new doggo - and that it can ride shotgun now is just icing.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Interested in seeing the reviews for this one. I'll definitely enjoy the game regardless though, lol

Oct 28, 2017

Oh no.

Really? The footage I saw today looked kinda fun.