• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 2, 2018
Spent a fair few hours. Just upgraded prosperity to level 1 and I gotta say, its fun! It's more far cry and there's something about shooting critters that I really enjoy. The weird monetization that they've implemented is greedy and annoying but I guess I didnt feel like I had to so far so that's good. Lots of the map to uncover still. Nice and meaty with some whacky ubisoft open world characters. For some reason the two female villian leads remind me of beyonce + solange.

Oct 2, 2018
I've been playing for a week (on and off) and this is what I can say. Please note I can't actually say too much because the review embargo is set for tomorrow @ 6AM EST, so I'll keep it short until then out of respect for UBI.

The game is very disappointing. It feels like a free DLC more than anything. It's very repetitive and shallow. I'll tell you more tomorrow in my official review.

This was one of the early posts I sorta noticed when I came into this thread and I honestly can't disagree more.

"A free dlc?"

Game is huge, plenty of mechanics in place and they reworked the whole world for the new game. I'm having a lot of fun with it. And there's always something else to do

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely HATE that the final boss fight contains Elite level enemies and you are pretty much forced to upgrade your guns, guns for fire, and health to high levels in order to succeed. Of course that requires tons of Ethanol. I was just wrapping up with the game and ready to be finishing l, and now I'm faced with probably 2-3 hours of outpost-liberating so I can beat the game? That is, after I even find the outposts to begin with? Hard pass. I quit.

It's too bad because I thought the game was decent up until this point.

Oct 2, 2018
Finished. Its not as lengthy as the main FC5 game but that's to be expected. Had a lot of fun with this and the expeditions + ethanol + weapon buying thing is great. The
super powers once you get double jump
is hilarious and I'd love for FarCry 6 to have this also.

The game needed a few more savagery sequences with the sisters but they're pretty nasty and i laughed when i
shot the other one in the face
. I do think the last boss is a bit stupid as it involved running between two rock outcrops and just shooting like crazy. But Far Cry has never really about good boss fights. They need to have a look at how Zero Dawn does open world boss fights. But I guess vs. humans = limited as to what they can do but they really should develop better boss fights.

Hunting the monstrous animals are fun.

I do miss the OTT CGI cutscenes that were still around during FarCry 5+primal. They were soooo good. I miss them.

8/10

I look forward to Far Cry 6.

Oct 2, 2018
I absolutely HATE that the final boss fight contains Elite level enemies and you are pretty much forced to upgrade your guns, guns for fire, and health to high levels in order to succeed. Of course that requires tons of Ethanol. I was just wrapping up with the game and ready to be finishing l, and now I'm faced with probably 2-3 hours of outpost-liberating so I can beat the game? That is, after I even find the outposts to begin with? Hard pass. I quit.

It's too bad because I thought the game was decent up until this point.

The game encourages you to do these things so I didnt beeline to the end. Seems like you didnt play it the way it organically wants you to.

I dont think you can blame the game for how you chose to play it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game encourages you to do these things so I didnt beeline to the end. Seems like you didnt play it the way it organically wants you to.

I can absolutely blame the game for making its activities so repetitive that I wanted to push through to the end and at least finish the story...and yet I was restricted from even doing so. Brutal. I VERY rarely don't finish a game that I sink my teeth into, and this was one of them.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been playing through this and, for the most part, relatively enjoying it, until I get to the end.

I'm at the mission "Problem Solver" and all semblance of balance/design seems to have been thrown out of the window.
If you've been playing through the story, doing a bit of side-content, unlocking the outposts, then chances are you're like me going into this fight with some Tier 2, MAYBE some Tier 3 weapons, maybe an upgrade or possibly two in the Health upgrades of the homebase.
The game suddenly decides that isn't enough though. With no warning you're thrown into what seems to be the final mission of the game and going up against both of the Elite level twins who way outlevel any gear/abilities you might have. At first I thought I was missing a trick and that I was supposed to retreat, that there was much more game to go and that this was just to show me I wasn't ready for the final confrontation yet. But nope, this is it.

So now, in order to beat the game, you have to spend ages basically grinding outposts over and over and over in order to unlock the massive amount of resource you need to upgrade your Weapons bench and Health upgrades, then ages grinding expeditions over and over in order to construct the weapons you NEED to actually beat the final bosses.
Well, I say need. Your other option is to basically take such tiny chunks out of their health that you'd be forgiven for thinking their health bars regenerate, and quite possibly dragging the fight out for an hour or more.

Nah, I've absolutely been doing these things during the natural course of the game. I've unlocked every outpost, some of them twice, been on a few expeditions, been unlocking additional characters, but I still go into the final confrontation ridiculously under levelled. There is absolutely an issue with that final mission being a ridiculous out of nowhere spike. If you go into that final confrontation at a comfortable level then you've over-levelled for what came before.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up on the cheap quite recently, I'd say I'm around halfway through and it's not toooo bad so far. It amuses me that there's barely a single new idea in here, but there's no denying the gameplay is still fun and addictive.

It is also GORGEOUS.

I don't really have any comments about the story because I'm not paying a whole lot of attention to it, I've never been much of a lover of videogame stories anyway, yes I'm a cut scene skipper, deal with it.

All this talk about the final bosses being a huge difficulty spike worries me, guess I'll have to work on upgrading my weapons and health to a high tier.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to playing this with the quarantine and all. Replayed Farcry 5 to get myself familiarized with the map again and for any story hooks that might show up.

It was OK. Shorter than I expected. I didn't realize it didn't use all of the Farcry 5 map, so I was expecting a longer game. Did enjoy the exploration missions though, as a nice change of locals.

I didn't hesitate for a second to kill Joseph at the end, probably because I had just played through Farcry 5 again. Fuck that guy. I wish there had been some kind of redemption sidestory for the Judge though.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry for dragging this thread back up. Dropped this game hard back when it first came out, probably because I spent too much time exploring Hope County in FC5 previously... but having rediscovered this again now a year later (during my current game lull) I am having a fantastic time with it. It looks beautiful, this and FC5 are still some of the best looking open worlds this gen. Playing it maxed out at 4K on PC and I am constantly stopping to take in the views.

The expeditions initially seemed a little throw away... but they do add a nice bit of variety to the environments that you can explore. I spent an hour fighting sharks in the first expedition last night, great diversion from the main map.

Anyway, just wanted to say that it might be worth picking up again if like me, you didn't give it a fair chance last year.

Excited by the prospect of a tropical setting in FC6 in the new year now.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ the end boss in this game is unreasonably difficult, out of nowhere. There is nothing else in the game that is even remotely as difficult. Well, maybe in an expedition or something but I didn't touch that content.