• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Just started and.. I'm doing story missions and just getting obliterated right out of the gate. Get off the 4 wheeler, take out guys, when I get back on more are already pulling up. Are you guys just.. ignoring them or what?? Also on the first story mission, once I got to the place that had the kidnapped guy. I was just absolutely getting destroyed.. I'm guessing I need to do more side missions? Thanks!
I posted something last night saying pretty much the same about getting destroyed very early on and ultimately edited it out once I played about an hour more. I no doubt felt the same thing when I first fired it up. I do not know why actually because now I am completely settled in and it is smooth sailing, but even playing and beating FC5 it just almost at first seemed like an entirely different approach. But I am finding it is not really. Just takes some getting used to for whatever reason. You may have very well already figured it out just as I did. A natural flow to everything just starts to happen.

Really enjoying the game thus far. I was super hesitant about adding RPG elements to things but it actually makes some sense. However I also have not had to grind things out, but the thing about Far Cry games is I do not mind doing things like outposts several times. I actually really like trying to come out with a new approach knowing shit is going to be more difficult. At least in theory. Will see how it actually goes down when I have to do it multiple times.

And yeah, the game looks amazing. One of my personal favorites graphic wise on the X thus far. It is just a pretty fucking game.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Game really needs an option to turn off film grain or whatever this effect is, looking up at the sky during the day reveals a distracting amount of noise in the picture quality.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted something last night saying pretty much the same about getting destroyed very early on and ultimately edited it out once I played about an hour more. I no doubt felt the same thing when I first fired it up. I do not know why actually because now I am completely settled in and it is smooth sailing, but even playing and beating FC5 it just almost at first seemed like an entirely different approach. But I am finding it is not really. Just takes some getting used to for whatever reason. You may have very well already figured it out just as I did. A natural flow to everything just starts to happen.

Really enjoying the game thus far. I was super hesitant about adding RPG elements to things but it actually makes some sense. However I also have not had to grind things out, but the thing about Far Cry games is I do not mind doing things like outposts several times. I actually really like trying to come out with a new approach knowing shit is going to be more difficult. At least in theory. Will see how it actually goes down when I have to do it multiple times.

And yeah, the game looks amazing. One of my personal favorites graphic wise on the X thus far. It is just a pretty fucking game.
Do you need to redo outposts over and over again to progress in the main quest line?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious, to get on top of Prosperity (there's items up there), you need double-jump. Climb on top of the smaller building and then jump to the tall one.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's Outpost raiding
Do you need to redo outposts over and over again to progress in the main quest line?

You need ethenol to upgrade a certain number of facilities to raise the level of the town, and I believe you need rank 3 for the final set of quests. From simple math, 100 baseline from capture (with a potential 25 bonus each for stealth or no alarm each) on top of 50 just for salvaging it (not completing it again just giving it up so it ranks up), if you do all the outposts once you should have enough facilities leveled up lvl 1/2 to never grind outposts to complete the story.

Their replayability mostly comes down to the those final 3 ranks needing 500 ethenol each on top of the RNG element of getting the outfit drops.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finished and platinumed.

Enjoyed my time with it, not as much as Far Cry 5 but still a fair amount.

I think the game's biggest issue is how rushed the final two acts of the story are. There should have been a lot more flesh to those parts after it starts relatively well. Obviously, I know why this was the case but it's still a shame.

But yeah, just wrecking havok around Hope County again with the stellar gameplay from 5 was fun.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Finished and platinumed.

Enjoyed my time with it, not as much as Far Cry 5 but still a fair amount.

I think the game's biggest issue is how rushed the final two acts of the story are. There should have been a lot more flesh to those parts after it starts relatively well. Obviously, I know why this was the case but it's still a shame.

But yeah, just wrecking havok around Hope County again with the stellar gameplay from 5 was fun.

How many acts are there? Feel free to spoiler tag in case someone thinks it's a spoiler. Thanks in advance.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's 22 story missions overall. Unless you mean 13 for the final two acts combined.
The amount of story missions in my post is correct. I have Ubi's review guide right in front of me. There are optional story missions though. For example you don't have to rescue everybody to get to act 3, but every person you rescue counts as a story mission. Let's call them main story missions and story missions then, haha.

edit: To clarify:

Act 1: 3
Act 2: 4
Act 3: 6

edit 2:
Adding the 7 Guns for Hire story missions brings the total up to 20. What are the other 2?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of story missions in my post is correct. I have Ubi's review guide right in front of me. There are optional story missions though. For example you don't have to rescue everybody to get to act 3, but every person you rescue counts as a story mission. Let's call them main story missions and story missions then, haha.

edit: To clarify:

Act 1: 3
Act 2: 4
Act 3: 6
Thanks for clarifying. That's pretty ridiculous that they've classified it like that, just makes the game seem ultra short.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure most who play this game won't miss out on those optional ones.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
giphy.gif

Bummer

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the station to craft throwables/ammo? I go to where the explosive lab is upgraded but there's nothing to interact with there.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This and Odyssey just feel gamey as fuck coming off RDR 2 which is both good and bad. The home base for example just looks so gaudy and contrived with how it's so particularly designed to have a separate section for every perk you need to upgrade. There's just no nuance or finesse to it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The Expeditions are awesome! I hope there are more of them in the future.

I just realized this has an HD texture pack DLC. Did Far Cry 5 have one too? I never downloaded that.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wheres the station to craft throwables/ammo? I go to where the explosive lab is upgraded but there's nothing to interact with there.
Throwables can be crafted by holding Q and using the column along the left hand side. Ammo can be crafted at the weapons table, IIRC.
I'm getting used to the RPG thing, but it's super annoying to stop vehicles now.
Are you on console? Because on PC you just stand in the middle of the road and start shooting at the driver as they approach. Alternatively, just shoot the tires to bring the vehicle to a halt. That sort of precision shooting might be trickier on a gamepad, granted.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throwables can be crafted by holding Q and using the column along the left hand side. Ammo can be crafted at the weapons table, IIRC.

Are you on console? Because on PC you just stand in the middle of the road and start shooting at the driver as they approach. Alternatively, just shoot the tires to bring the vehicle to a halt. That sort of precision shooting might be trickier on a gamepad, granted.

ooooh thanks

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Game really needs an option to turn off film grain or whatever this effect is, looking up at the sky during the day reveals a distracting amount of noise in the picture quality.
Is that what its supposed to be? Just looks like a film grain filter cranked to 11 when I look at the blue sky.
Came here to ask if anybody noticed something off in the picture, and this is exactly what i meant.
In the sky and on surfaces (wooden houses and blue barrels for instance, very noticable in Prosperity) it is super grainy.
When i switch HDR OFF, the grainy stuff is gone... so it seems an HDR issue?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This and Odyssey just feel gamey as fuck coming off RDR 2 which is both good and bad. The home base for example just looks so gaudy and contrived with how it's so particularly designed to have a separate section for every perk you need to upgrade. There's just no nuance or finesse to it.
At least people comment on it in FC, and it makes a difference visually.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

You're kind of comparing a big, dumb, loud popcorn movie to Oscar bait that took 8 years to make. And, as someone who really loved RDR2, it almost failed me as a game. I loved the story and characters and I got really attached to Arthur and the ending truly moved me. As a game though, I didn't find it very fun to actually play.
I'm glad that I can play cowboy simulator and then also go double-jumping and gunning a neon pink skunk down with 5 saw blades.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The final boss fight was so cheesy. I wonder if they will just do a pure fantasy setting next time because they pretty much threw realism out the window. I enjoyed my time with it a lot though.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm a little surprised.

Wasn't a big fan of FC5, but I'm loving this after two hours. Just having a great time. It looks amazing on the 1X, too. So vibrant and beautiful

How do I re-recruit my wingwoman after she has died?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm a little surprised.

Wasn't a big fan of FC5, but I'm loving this after two hours. Just having a great time. It looks amazing on the 1X, too. So vibrant and beautiful

How do I re-recruit my wingwoman after she has died?

You just have to use materials to revive her. When you highlight the portrait, it will give you the option.

Curious, how long did it take you to finish and did you go for 100% of everything?

I did not do everything because I realized I missed doing a bunch of level 1 challenges so I wanted to start over and do those. I probably unlocked like half of the stuff and it took me around 20 hours.
And, by missed the challenges, I mean that it's easier to do them at the start when enemies are still low level and you are still using junk weapons. I don't think there is anything you can miss completely.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
As a huge FC5 fan I am very bored with the gameplay and the story is really bad. Do you get to craft kickass weapons or anything? Didnt like the saw launcher and just switched to regular guns so it feels like I am playing FC5. Also the skill tree is incredibly boring, I was really hoping they'd go nuts with really cool perks but its the opposite.

The game is gorgeous however and at discount price I dont feel ripped off, just underwhelmed.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, debating getting this, as Far Cry 5 was one of my favorite games of last year.

The reviews are a bit low, but is that just because this is largely more of the same, or is there anything notably worse about it gameplay-wise than 5?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, debating getting this, as Far Cry 5 was one of my favorite games of last year.

The reviews are a bit low, but is that just because this is largely more of the same, or is there anything notably worse about it gameplay-wise than 5?

It's more of the same, but with double jump and a dog that can ride in the car. LOL
I liked some of the new companions a lot - like Nana, Horatio, and Timber.
I do miss Peaches. RIP

Edit: Oh, and at least one of the quests is like a giant Treasure Hunt type puzzle and I love that stuff.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
It's more of the same, but with double jump and a dog that can ride in the car. LOL
I liked some of the new companions a lot - like Nana, Horatio, and Timber.
I do miss Peaches. RIP

Edit: Oh, and at least one of the quests is like a giant Treasure Hunt type puzzle and I love that stuff.

Gotcha, I dunno, that sounds intriguing. Honestly a double jump sounds amazing. I love it when games just say "fuck it" and put in super gamey stuff.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
Is there a way to have two guns for hire at the same time, in 5 I think it was unlocked through a perk and I don't see that in the listed perks.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the difficulty like? I tend to play on easy cause I'm, well old....

Level 1 outposts and missions are a joke on normal. You have to actively be in the open to die, especially with the gracious 2 or so seconds of invulnerability after you hit 1 hp which is plenty of time to hit the medpack button. They are everywhere and you can craft them on the fly anytime. If you have an ai with you drawing fire, you should be more than fine on normal.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do this Anger Management trophy. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Still trying to just tap the button but it seems like I might be turning it off by accident or can't get the requisite amount of enemies

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017

I haven't figured it out yet. Haha I haven't had a chance to touch it since Friday, but finally going to jump back in tonight or tomorrow morning. Any advice for adapting to the constant attacks and... difficulty of these starting missions? Really want to get to that comfort point, because I have a tendency to drop shit like this when I get annoyed at the start.