• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So, my wife just informed to not "please not buy this game", and surprisingly, I actually wanted to get this game, so I inquired, "why the hell not?" She then explains to me some of the ridiculously over the top, sociopathic, psychotic ways they portray dogs in the game.

So I do my own research and... what in the fuck?

https://www.gamesradar.com/far-cry-new-dawn-hates-dogs-so-much-it-was-probably-made-by-cats/

Who the fuck designs this shit? Just fucking gross.

I mean... just reading the above link, good god... Ubi... no, please take this shit out.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
There's a part in Metro Exodus where you can see people cheering on a dog fighting match, so might wanna skip that if that bugs you.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Slaughtering humans in interesting and sadistic ways in games is ok but they stepped overall the line with the doggos! Ban this sick filth!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest way to make a villain (or in this case villainous group) look bad? Make them do bad things to dogs.

Seems like this was more Ubi wanting to make their bad guys "really bad" than anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
I will understand people who are turn off by violence against animals in fiction ... the game allow us to do worst things to humans

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is some disgusting bullshit. I was already lukewarm on this FC game after the train wreck that was FC5, but this triggers me so much.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
What a pointless article, but at least now I know that it's author is vegetarian, cool I guess

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It's just as "gross" as driving over a human and you kill god knows how many other animals in the game and skin them to upgrade whatever, but "dogs are no go"? The hypocrisy is strong.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
in a game about killing massive amounts of people, you also witness and participate in dog deaths. unacceptable.

Nov 23, 2017

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem out there given how people treat dogs in the non-apocalypse.

This did remind me that there were dogs strapped with explosives in the Spec Ops mode of Modern Warfare 3 too.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only dog thats ACTUALLY made hurt from what I had to do to a dog was Wolfenstein: The New Colossus... That fucked me up a bit, had to go do a couple of shots of whiskey....well, I was gonna do them anyway, but now I was having to do them for sad reasons

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
So, my wife just informed to not "please not buy this game", and surprisingly, I actually wanted to get this game, so I inquired, "why the hell not?" She then explains to me some of the ridiculously over the top, sociopathic, psychotic ways they portray dogs in the game.

So I do my own research and... what in the fuck?

https://www.gamesradar.com/far-cry-new-dawn-hates-dogs-so-much-it-was-probably-made-by-cats/

Who the fuck designs this shit? Just fucking gross.

I mean... just reading the above link, good god... Ubi... no, please take this shit out.

If the bad guys in the game are doing bad things to animals, it just makes me want to kill them more.

So... job well done.

This isn't glamorizing violence against dogs in the slightest, it's showing it as something only the sick and depraved would do.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean, I run over every human being in Grand Theft Auto. Doesn't mean I hate human beings.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because maiming, dismembering, torturing, exploding, and bullet riddling virtual bodies is fine.

But beating up and killing virtual dogs is the line.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Read this post in the "games with awful humour" thread the other day and it stuck with me:

Far Cry 5. The mission where you have to get bulls to have sex with cows and then kill them in horrible ways to harvest and eat their testicles almost made me stop playing right away. I gave it another chance and there was one about a guy who had lost his cows and he wanted you to get them back... Using rocks and a baseball bat. I gave it one more chance. There was a mission where a dude wants you to run to some targets to test a drug that makes you faster. At the end of it, for no reason, you have to murder pigs with a baseball bat. I sold that piece of crap right away, it tries to be funny by glorifying and trivializing animal cruelty, which is a huge issue worldwide. Not coming back to this franchise, whoever created and approved that content makes me sick.

Seems like a reoccurring issue. Really fuckin gross.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
The dogs are not real guys. Some people may find it disturbing. But that's with humas too. I dont see it as cruelty. Its a game just that

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
We really gonna compare the non agency of animals who are made victims to violent evil game goons who attack first and say it's the same huh
I feel what you're saying, but I think it's invalidated by the fact that you're not killing real dogs. Nor humans.

I wouldn't hurt an animal ever in real life, but I still did kill them in RDR to get pointless bonues off of their carcasses.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
The game opens with one of the villains beating a man to death with a motorcycle helmet. If violence bothers you, the dogs are really the least of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a cheap way to make players hate the antagonists, but not all that bizarre.
Weren't there bomb dogs in a Call of Duty game in the past?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the bad guys eat dogs but that isn't inherently a problem or any more immoral than eating any other kind of animal
seeing tortured dogs and dogs with c4 strapped to them is sad though.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Bomb dogs lmao

To counter the bomb dog threat, police must spray a special resin on the dog that will instantly harden and contain the explosion in a dog shaped shell. However if the underside of the dog is not properly coated, the explosion can launch the dog up to 1000ft into the air

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like how in a game where you shoot circle saw blades through people's heads the line is drawn with injuring/killing animals.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
We really gonna compare the non agency of animals who are made victims to violent evil game goons who attack first and say it's the same huh

My comment was more of a joke but there are plenty of games that let you kill innocent ai humans. What agency do they have? What agency do the bad ai humans have? They are programmed to be the way they are. Just to be clear I am not talking about real animals.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strapping bombs to dogs...that's some WW2 shit right there.
The Russians gave up on it because dogs tended to run back to their owners, attack their own tanks, etc. They switched to Dolphins with bombs instead.
Regarding the OP, eating dogs is pretty normal. You recue Timber from a dog meat farm. In Far Cry 4 you got thrown into a pit where you had to fight to the death against tigers, bears, other humans, etc.

From what I've seen it's nowhere near as tacky or tastleless as the Teste Feste thing in FC5.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
With so many games requiring you to enact cruelty on humans having some canine casualties doesn't seem to be a huge deal.

The bomb dogs sound hilarious.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Didn't one of the side villains in 5 capture families, starve them, chop off the parents fingers and then feed them to the kids? Not saying this to defend ND, but it seems on brand at least.