• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
They are also okay with killing and skinning other animals and making wallets with their skins but dogs?? That's where they draw the line!
When you use words like "they" do this or "they" do that you create separation between all of "us" as humans. Sort of seems like those that don't see it how you do are the other. Marginalized. It's not necessary.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you use words like "they" do this or "they" do that you create separation between all of "us" as humans. Sort of seems like those that don't see it how you do are the other. Marginalized. It's not necessary.

Agreed completely.

Every single one of us holds inconsistent viewpoints. That doesn't mean these conversations aren't worth having.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I can't really speak for the OP so I can't really say one way or another how they feel about different types of animal cruelty. Your original response was pretty dismissive and that's why I reacted as strongly as I did. If you feel like I'm only here for personal argument, then that sucks, because I really am trying to understand the different opinions in here.

When I said Pokemon, they are the replacement of the context of violence, because the fictional violence on fictional characters is the reason it is brought up.

Well let's play a game of context then.

There is a fictional doctor with a fictional laboratory in a fictional game. This fictional doctor has asked you, for the sake of fiction to choose a victim for his fictional experiments. The fictional victims are: Fictional dog, fictional small young girl, fictional cat, fictional man with fictional family.

Now you must choose one to be represented in this fictional display of violence, knowing that this is fictional am I justified in judging you based on your selected fictional choice?

Now, back to reality. Dogs are slaughtered in China and Korea for meat, children are starving to death in Yemen and a 6 year old was decapitated by a taxi driver a few days ago, cats are abandoned and left to die in the streets or drowned because they are unwanted and ISIS made dozens of young men dig their own grave only to be shot execution style and buried. These are real things that happened, these are real scenarios.

Now knowing that a fictional character will fictionally die because of your fictional choice, how has this stopped the previous real scenarios, and why have you not brought them up on the basis that they are real and happening? Or is fiction the only reality?

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thread is like

what.gif

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Weird article. "They eat dogs!" ...it's a post-nuke scenario where people have to do what they need to in order to survive. I'm not so sure I would never eat a dog if it was the only available protein around. "They weaponized the dogs!" ...police and military dogs are a thing. It's removed from straight-up strapping bombs to a dog, but we do have a history of sending them into dangerous situations, usually because it's too dangerous for people. Sure it's probably cranked up to almost comical degrees in its representation, but that's Far Cry.

That said I can understand being troubled by violence against animals, especially when it's really detailed. I've watched streamers play Far Cry but probably won't buy and play them myself since the bloody skinning animations, weird quests (Bull festival in 5) and such bothers me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
its also a weird article for using "doggos" and "best boys" to describe attack dogs that are trying to kill you.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Wait what? What should use instead of "they" when talking about other people?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If you can prove any value to a random human life go ahead.
Umm, the moral consensus that holds society together depends on its people's recognition of universal human rights, including the basic understanding that every single human being has value, on account of being an intelligent self-aware being. Plus, basic empathy should tell you that what feels bad to you feels bad to other humans, so you should try to alleviate unnecessary suffering.

Get your head on straight, Jesus. Even to actual sociopaths who have no fond feelings for any living creature, and absolutely zero concern for other people's capacity for suffering, it makes sense to recognize the social contract--purely out of self interest. You look out for others so that they'll look out for you.

I hope this is just an off-color intellectual exercise, because holy shit. You don't deserve all the benefits of civilization if you're really that callous.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I have a dog, i love them, but I dont know, that text sounds hyoerbolic af to me.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think this thread was necessary.
On the contrary, it's important to get back to first principles and articulate our basic values every so often. What use is a moral framework that you can't defend from the lurching barbarism of people who don't respect what it is to be human?

I really hope the dogs > humans posters are doing it for the lulz.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This whole "it's not real they don't have agency" thing is a terrible fucking argument. If a game allowed you to do terrible things like rape freely we would all be rightly mortified. Those victims aren't real but it doesn't matter because the very act of it is terrible and it's a normal reaction to not be comfortable with that kind of thing in a video game. To be honest it's a pretty normal reaction if someone is not comfortable with killing an innocent in a video game either. I actively avoid it because it makes me feel like shit. Because it's a bad thing. I don't like to shoot a defenseless dog in a video game either. Generally I don't like to be a bad person in games media. The characters being line of code doesn't change that for me. I think thats pretty normal.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh.... Like it was said before, you do worse to humans in the games but if it's animals it's too far?

Come on.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
We've been killing wolves for decades in games. I understand it's not exactly the same, but it's pretty damn close. The game clearly showcases a f'ed up future with f'ed up people. I don't understand the rage here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This whole "it's not real they don't have agency" thing is a terrible fucking argument. If a game allowed you to do terrible things like rape freely we would all be rightly mortified. Those victims aren't real but it doesn't matter because the very act of it is terrible and it's a normal reaction to not be comfortable with that kind of thing in a video game. To be honest it's a pretty normal reaction if someone is not comfortable with killing an innocent in a video game either. I actively avoid it because it makes me feel like shit. Because it's a bad thing. I don't like to shoot a defenseless dog in a video game either. Generally I don't like to be a bad person in games media. The characters being line of code doesn't change that for me. I think thats pretty normal.

No one is saying you have to like it or you shouldn't be sensitive about it. What OP wants is for Ubisoft to "take this shit out" which doesn't make sense. Just ignore the game instead of being selfish and acting like this isn't acceptable to be in a game. Let others enjoy it and move on.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
The thread title and your reaction had me expecting something far worse than what that article suggests is in the game. It's still some nasty shit, of course, but I'm not seeing anything here that steps over a line not already crossed by a GTA or even a Call of Duty (pretty sure one of them had bomb strapped dogs at some point).

My biggest takeaway is a general feeling of wishing that more games were willing to tone down violence as the primary method of interaction, and not so much that the treatment of animals seemed especially mean-spirited here.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Its all 1s and 0s right?

Oh and its fake.

And you are mutilating humans in this game but eating a dog is too far....

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Theres a website dedicated to dogs dying in movies

If youre only argument is, "people are crazy if they get upset over imaginary things happening" then I'm not going to give you the time of the day.

These things cause real emotion to real people. Now I'm not fucking crazy, nor do I need to get a life (as some people have suggested), because I couldn't care less about playing a game that makes me a bit uncomfortable.

My point is that "agency" only matters in the real world because of the fact that humans have far more control of their immediate surroundings than, say, a dog. If we were discussing real world animal abuse, yes, you'd have a point. An animal can't negotiate, persuade or think critically on the same, nuanced level as a human. That arguably makes them more vulnerable to subjugation or abuse.

Unless the game is outright promoting real world animal abuse, I see no issue here. I mean, it let's you murder people in a number of ways. We both agree that video games don't encourage real world violence. So what's the big deal?

But we're talking about a video game, where everything is either determined by the player or the developer's coding. Nothing is truly gained or lost. Nothing is truly at stake. So to apply the same level of outrage and grief to that as you would a real situation is just weird and misplaced. Yeah, it's crazy.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
"The dogs are innocents, the people attack you so it's fine to kill them" line is still blurry since in Far Cry 5
Joseph Seed and his family are shown to force people to join their ranks via brainwashing, drugs, and torture.
So a lot of the mobs aren't there for funsies, dunno about New Dawn.

Saw a few posts bringing up that angle earlier on in the thread, didn't want to quote them since after 12 pages they probably got quoted enough lol.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
As a vegan I can say "Where do you draw the line" when these kind of things happens. All animals deserve to live and not just our pets.

I agree that this is just shock value and in poor taste.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, it's a shame that Far Cry New Dawn doesn't feature Far Cry Primal's animal taming system. They've kept elements such as being able to pet your animal companion at any time, and Timber is an Extremely Good Boy, but in Primal you could slowly approach an animal and give it meat, and it would become your companion. Sometimes you've have to engage the animal in combat before it would accept you. Primal had a rather... spiritual approach to hunting and animals in general.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
All animals are innocent.
Only some humans are innocent.
That's why killing humans in video games is ok.
I am boycotting this shitty game.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017

Right, I'm not a fan of how that term has been used so often in this thread. That implies we can't ever be critical of the content and issues within a game because 'it's just a game', as if games can never ever step over the line in terms of their content because none of it is real anyway.

The entire point of games is we immerse ourselves in these worlds, we like them to trick us into being as believable as possible. Cruelty is cruelty and I don't think its a particular enjoyable thing to ask of a player.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're only eating the evil dogs? And the weaponized dogs consent to it?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We really gonna compare the non agency of animals who are made victims to violent evil game goons who attack first and say it's the same huh

Those "evil" video game goons are as much victims as those video game dogs. They have no agency either; it's not their fault they were programmed that way.

It's us, the players, who are the real monsters; every time we boot up the game we drag them - man and dog alike - from the sweet, painless oblivion of nothingness into a bleak existence where they are doomed to live and die and love again as nothing but playthings for our vile fantasies.

Last edited:

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I find it odd people are ok with violence towards people and wild animals but dogs are over the line.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
You can kill humans
You can kill every species in Far Cry

Why killing virtual dogs is an issue?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel much more for the suffering of animals than I do for humans. I'd rather have dogs than kids, and I'd choose my dog over someone's child if I had to choose to save one from dying. There are plenty like myself that feel the same.
This post is, uhm, a lot

This is a reset era thread for the fucking books

Last edited:

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's a video game and we do the weirdest shit in games all the time. Especially brutality without thinking about it. How is this different? I don't understand.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
People saying it is nothing more than pixels need to realize that my dog's name is Pixels.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I love dogs but its a strange moral highground to take that killing everything else in games is ok but not this.