• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Far Cry 5 literally has a mission where you I think steal cow testicals or some shit? But the dogs cross the line? No offense OP but if animal cruelty bothers you that much, avoid Far Cry as a series. It's pretty offensive in general when concerning the treatment of others. Lol at eating puppies though, that's some over the top exxxxxtra shit right there. I can't take that line seriously.

OP
OP
VinFTW

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
You said your wife told you not to buy the game because of the dogs. So my comment was more on her opinion considering some people in this thread agree with her.
Again my OP sucks, its not like she forbid me from buying it and starting having a mental breakdown we just talked about how awkward and uncomfortable some of that stuff was. Since I was already on the fence this shit doesn't help tbh

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I feel much more for the suffering of animals than I do for humans. I'd rather have dogs than kids, and I'd choose my dog over someone's child if I had to choose to save one from dying. There are plenty like myself that feel the same.
I'd save a dog over a kid too.

I wouldn't be telling people this. Quite honestly it's nothing to be proud of. There is absolutely no circumstance where the life of an animal is more valuable than that of an innocent child.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
*shrug*

Long as nobody's abusing cats ...

aGew0j6_700b.jpg

I hope these guys were just as angry when Postal came out lol

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
This is all pretty standard video game stuff. People give dogs waaay too much special treatment. You know (most of) you guys literally abuse animals to live, right?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel much more for the suffering of animals than I do for humans. I'd rather have dogs than kids, and I'd choose my dog over someone's child if I had to choose to save one from dying. There are plenty like myself that feel the same.
You have the right to that philosophy, and I have the right to think it's a silly stance.

And I feel very comfortable in guessing that the majority percentage of human beings across earth would not take your stance. As in not 50%

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ah. I think since human death is represented far more often than animal death it's made more people desensitized to violence towards humans.

Yeah, definitely. We see so many adults (usually men) being killed in so many ways in our media that making us care about the death of another adult human is really quite difficult. There's also the reason posted by the other guy that dogs, in Western societies where they've been domesticated for hundreds of years, are both seen as companions and more 'child-like' than regular adults.

Either way, the crux of the matter is that dog deaths are a much easier way to garner strong emotions from the audience than adult human deaths.

There is definitely a racial aspect to dog worship.

Even if there is (I highly doubt that dog worship is an exclusively 'white' thing), that has no bearing on this current conversation unless you wanted to use that notion to discredit the OP's feelings towards the matter.

Animal worship, however, has no racial boundaries and that's not up for debate. Off the top of my head some majority non-white cultures who worshipped/worship animals include Ancient Egyptians who worshipped the Cat and modern practitioners of Hinduism who worship the Cow; there's likely more that I can't think of right now but I think that'll do.

Modern dog worship is just another in a long, long, long line of things that are mostly 'illogical' but happen anyway due to the human race's ability to place value in things other than simple everyday survival.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This isn't nearly as bad as that Generation X game starring Aerosmith, where you'd shoot a cat on a fence for bonus points at the end of a level. That was gross.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always amuses me when people can play games where this sort of sadistic shit or worse takes place on humans, but when it's on animals it's suddenly too much lol. Reminds me of that This is America segment when he pins up a dog picture in place of the person at the shooting range lol.

At the end of the day, it's all the same grotesque shit meant to illicit fear, shock, anger etc, and is probably actually fairly realistic to the post apocalyptic or psychotic world. If you have a problem with this sort of stuff with animals, you should have the same problem with humans too.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is really interesting and reminds me of something that happened when I was in high school.

In biology class, we had a lab exercise where we needed to dissect fetal pigs.

There was this one girl who was a known hardcore vegan and animal lover who couldn't handle the sight of the pigs and broke down into tears and was allowed to sit out of the experiment. Of course being in high school, people mocked her once she left because they found her reaction ridiculous. I didn't understand her reaction and I probably will never understand her viewpoint, but I do understand now that different people react to things differently.

But I also understand why people made fun of her, and why this thread is going the way it is going. Because people were confused by and didn't understand the reaction. Those people probably thought it was ludicrous she was crying over fetal pigs. This thread title feels so sensational that I was expecting something really fucked up like the prolonged suffering of a dog or one slowly being killed in an incredibly uncomfortable fashion.

What I got instead reading the article was some stock standard post apocalypse tropes of

- We need meat, so lets eat dogs
- Bomb Dogs, which can basically just be seen as a template swapped suicider enemy

I feel like if the title was called something like "I am uncomfortable with the violence towards dogs in New Dawn" you'd probably still get the "but the humans tho" posts, but probably a bit less.

Calling the thread this really did it no favors.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Saying "it's not real breh" is just being obtuse. Obviously there is a difference between killing a dog in a JRPG vs vivid depictions of dogs wearing suicide vests and exploding. People wanna just act like media depictions of violence mean nothing. What purpose does this even serve other than some sophomoric "yeah we went THERE, this game is br00tal"? What does this add to the game? Just becuase you can do something doesn't mean you should, and maybe we don't need to trivialize gratuitous violence like this by putting it in games for people to casually consume for entertainment.

It isn't "because we went THERE". It's a post-apocalyptic world and this thing makes sense and adds to the entertainment value.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the fact that this hypothetical kid vs dog death scenario was even imagined in the first place is a bit scary
sounds like some Jigsaw shit

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
After getting a first-person view of character's throat geting torn out by a dog in COD4, I feel no remorse murdering doggos in video games.

Get me my fucking shotgun

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
"Save the good doggo or prevent genocide?" - Far Cry 6

well dogs are so innocent obviously Ill choose the doggo over the ten million, less innocent people being slaughtered

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's probably been mentioned before, but Far Cry New Dawn -- and maybe even 5 or earlier ones, my memory is bad -- also has wild dogs. They attack and are feral. It makes sense there too.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah, this is where I draw the line; if I have to be perfectly honest that's kinda definitely fucked up.

Always amuses me when people can play games where this sort of sadistic shit or worse takes place on humans, but when it's on animals it's suddenly too much lol. Reminds me of that This is America segment when he pins up a dog picture at the shooting range lol.

At the end of the day, it's all the same grotesque shit meant to illicit fear, shock, anger etc, and is probably actually fairly realistic to the post apocalyptic psychotic world. If you have a problem with this sort of stuff with animals, you should have the same problem with humans too.

That's not how human emotions work. We aren't automatons who go through a long list of calculations and equations before deciding what is the 'right' way to feel about a certain thing.

Also, the "it's the post-apocalypse" argument ignores the fact that Far Cry: New Dawn did not suddenly emerge from the ground fully formed based on what is "fairly realistic", it's a game made by real-life humans who could add and omit anything they desired. Using the universe of a piece of media to explain elements of said piece of media is a textbook example of self-justification.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
People with this attitude should exclude themselves from society and just stay home. We don't need antisocial people with empathy problems screwing up the world for the rest of us.

Saving a dog over a kid, c'mon. Read some books or watch some documentaries to get back in touch with your humanity. Or, like, volunteer so you come face to face with people in need.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I totally understand someone having an emotional response to animal cruelty in fiction. I mean, that's the point. But you can't let that emotional response override all logic. It IS just a game. It may be tasteless, but absolutely no real harm was done to anyone or anything.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
"But don't you care about killing humans?!" isn't a valid reason to dismiss moral criticisms of a game. People have tried that before with games that were insensitive when dealing with racism, sexism, and objectification. That argument doesn't fly.

Everyone knows that killing humans is bad. Treatment of animals (just like treatment of women, minorities, the mentally ill, etc.) isn't a topic that everyone agrees on, unfortunately. Therefore, game developers have a responsibility to be more considerate when handling those topics, and it's well within our right (as players) to criticize them if we think they handled those topics carelessly.

Last edited:

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If you value the life of animals over human beings, you might just be a sociopath. Also, you should probably be on a watchlist. We know how much Tony Soprano liked animals.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not how human emotions work. We aren't automatons who go through a long list of calculations and equations before deciding what is the 'right' way to feel about a certain thing.

Also, the "it's the post-apocalypse" argument ignores the fact that Far Cry: New Dawn did not suddenly emerge from the ground fully formed based on what is "fairly realistic", it's a game made by real-life humans who could add and omit anything they desired. Using the universe of a piece of media to explain elements of said piece of media is a textbook example of self-justification.

Right, but why should they omit to add animal cruelty when there's plenty of (actually far more) human cruelty and it's all still fitting to the world premise and narrative? It doesn't make any sense to prohibit that stuff in the interests of overly sensitive dog lovers. It's unnecessarily inhibiting narrative potential and emotional poignancy. Whatever argument you can use to argue any animal cruelty should be prohibited from video games, you could equally use to argue the same against humans, and either one would be obtuse and stifling.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I dare say a lot of people would rather save their pets than another human being.

I would put myself up to harm to save my dogs in every situation BUT another human being also needing my help. Unless i REALLY hated the person, and even then id probably end up going for them because hatred is not a good enough reason to omit saving someone when i can

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can you give me some personal details so I can fill a restraining order to avoid the event of you ever being able to make that choice as it effects anyone I know.

Such selfishness, cruelty, and... pride... in words is legitimate disconcerting.

Seek help

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Right, but why should they omit to add animal cruelty when there's plenty of humsn cruelty and it's all still fitting the world premise and narrative? It doesn't make any sense to prohibit that stuff in the interests of overly sensitive dog lovers. It's unnecessarily inhibiting narrative potential and emotional poignancy. Whatever argument you can use to argue animal cruelty should be prohibited from video games, you could equally use to argue the same against humans, and either one would be obtuse and stifling.

I don't think the developers should omit it, however you're wrong to suggest that the arguments are literally the same thing. The developers chose to put the dogs in the game and put them in those situations because it was an easy way to garner strong emotions in the player. You're severely underestimating their intelligence if you think the inclusion of animal abuse and dog murder was a simple co-incidence and that they didn't know that people saw dog deaths in a different light to human deaths. As such criticisms of that aspect of the game are perfectly valid because, again, they're not the same thing.