• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
- We need meat, so lets eat dogs
- Bomb Dogs, which can basically just be seen as a template swapped suicider enemy

I feel like if the title was called something like "I am uncomfortable with the violence towards dogs in New Dawn" you'd probably still get the "but the humans tho" posts, but probably a bit less.

Calling the thread this really did it no favors.
"Who the fuck designs this shit? Just fucking gross." "sadistic, sociopathic". Yet OP in another topic is praising an upcoming game which has a close up of the progatonist strangling a person, shoots canine, where bandits decorate their camp with gutted and beheaded bodies hanging from trees. And probably much more (couldn't care to find out more as I got nauseous already), but it's "touching cinematic experience". So I really struggle with the tone of the OP.

But as I said earlier, if someone doesn't want to deal with violence in media that's fine. Or they feel something goes way too far. It's just the huge contrast here that I don't really get and how the OP is worded to judge the devs quite harshly. Rather than talk about their own sensibilites and inform others who might be sensitive to this stuff too.

Last edited:

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a dog person and I understand why someone might feel a certain way about how dogs are portrayed in a video game (it doesn't bothered me),but did I just read a few comments about saving a freaken dog over a human life? A child's one at that. That's pretty sick stuff right there, way worse than anything you'll experience in a Far Cry series.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (3 days): personal attacks
I feel much more for the suffering of animals than I do for humans. I'd rather have dogs than kids, and I'd choose my dog over someone's child if I had to choose to save one from dying. There are plenty like myself that feel the same.

You are downright delusional and I hope this thread and the responses you get somehow, subconsciously strikes at the core of your humanity and you seek help.

I mean that sincerely.

This outlook is scary, dangerous and is fundamentally mental illness expressed in words. You need to know your head is not right. We dont need to explain to you why at this point.

Seek help.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User banned (1 week): thread derail, antagonizing other members, history of similar infractions
I'm a dog person and I understand why someone might feel a certain way about how dogs are portrayed in a video game (it doesn't bothered me),but did I just read a few comments about saving a freaken dog over a human life? A child's one at that. That's pretty sick stuff right there, way worse than anything you'll experience in a Far Cry series.
Why is a child's life important vs an adult, or a human over an animals?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez this thread is creeping me out on both sides

As for the actual topic at hand, I think Far Cry has always just relished in this way of making us hate the "villains" and it's always felt kind of cheap to me. It feels like they can't write more compelling antagonists so they just make everyone comically monstrous

It's this that was quoted earlier in the thread that makes me think it's potentially a bigger, more telling problem if true -

Far Cry 5. The mission where you have to get bulls to have sex with cows and then kill them in horrible ways to harvest and eat their testicles almost made me stop playing right away. I gave it another chance and there was one about a guy who had lost his cows and he wanted you to get them back... Using rocks and a baseball bat. I gave it one more chance. There was a mission where a dude wants you to run to some targets to test a drug that makes you faster. At the end of it, for no reason, you have to murder pigs with a baseball bat. I sold that piece of crap right away, it tries to be funny by glorifying and trivializing animal cruelty, which is a huge issue worldwide. Not coming back to this franchise, whoever created and approved that content makes me sick.

While I'd never agree with people saying animals lives are worth more than humans, it's also absolutely inhumane to trivialize or laugh at the deaths of animals. Some people seriously lack empathy over this sort of thing and it's really unnerving.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why is a child's life important vs an adult, or a human over an animals?

There is no logical reason if your looking for some factual gratification.

That feeling, that outlook is innate in a normal, level headed human.

It's what drives life, regardless of species. Protect the young, protect the tribe.

Your imbalance is clouding what makes you human.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
than a loved relative/family member or good friend?

ok.

Not someone who you have obvious emotional attachment to. But say a homeless person? Or a petty criminal? Or even someone you don't know?

The internet is full of people saying they would kill someone that mistreat a dog or a cat. That people like that should suffer slow and agonizing deaths. I'm not sure people with that mindset would let their pets die to save another person.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no logical reason if your looking for some factual gratification.

That feeling, that outlook is innate in a normal, level headed human.

It's what drives life, regardless of species. Protect the young, protect the tribe.

Your imbalance is clouding what makes you human.
Your need for tribalism is likely a larger issue

Aug 11, 2018
I'll never understand this argument.

Like, you can't make exceptions for dogs or cats but kill everything else in a game without being super dumb.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I will understand people who are turn off by violence against animals in fiction ... the game allow us to do worst things to humans

I don't get it either. We play games where we decapitate people, set people on fire, blow people to pieces, but if we do that to animals in the same game people tend to get offended. I have no clue why though. If that offends them, why doesn't the human on human violence offend them as well?

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't get it either. We play games where we decapitate people, set people on fire, blow people to pieces, but if we do that to animals in the same game people tend to get offended. I have no clue why though. If that offends them, why doesn't the human on human violence offend them as well?

Not to mention killing animals has been a core part of Far Cry's progression system for years.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because the notion is humans have agency. Humans have choice, these bad dudes chose to be bad ect. I'm not saying it's right I'm saying that's the viewpoint

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither has any intrinsic value over the other. That's why I don't think it's wrong to choose a child over a dog. Or the other way around. I prefer dogs

How have you reached the conclusion that neither posses value, intrinsically? And on what bases does your moral framework function that it reguards each as a morally neutral act at the expense of the other?

If this is about detachment then you'd be better off choosing the child so that you can gain the larger reward, but you cited a preference.
For all the rebuttal of tribalism, it is both an inherent part of the typical human condition, and it would look like your preference for dogs speaks more towards a preference for your own tribal construct than it is pragmatic.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the developers should omit it, however you're wrong to suggest that the arguments are literally the same thing. The developers chose to put the dogs in the game and put them in those situations because it was an easy way to garner strong emotions in the player. You're severely underestimating their intelligence if you think the inclusion of animal abuse and dog murder was a simple co-incidence and that they didn't know that people saw dog deaths in a different light to human deaths. As such criticisms of that aspect of the game are perfectly valid because, again, they're not the same thing.

I think you mean that a minority of people see dog deaths different to humans. I certainly don't. If anything brutal human deaths are still more shocking and jarring to me than animal deaths, because of emotional relatability, depth of intelligence, communication, ability and opportunity of humans and all the rest. Ultimately it's all still shocking and grotesque and simultaneously perfectly fitting to the narrative and world.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
If you can prove any value to a random human life go ahead.

The simple fact that you are here with us, conversing with us, changing ideas, talking with us, is not enough for you to consider that generally speaking a human's life is worth more than a dog?

Did a dog create the internet youre using right now? The clothes that you're wearing? The food that you're eating? Heck the language that you're using?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel much more for the suffering of animals than I do for humans. I'd rather have dogs than kids, and I'd choose my dog over someone's child if I had to choose to save one from dying. There are plenty like myself that feel the same.

I mean misanthropy is a thing. I feel like you're a sociopath though.

If you can prove any value to a random human life go ahead.

What even are these posts? I feel it's pretty obvious that animal cruelty is horrible. However, at the same time, the idea that if there was a fire in a building and I'd go out of my way to save an animal over a sentient human being is fucking insane. It really is. It's entirely changing the argument and is disingenuous at best. At worst, it's minimizing the impact of one person's life to try to get a point across about animal cruelty. And frankly, if you actually saved an animal over a human and you didn't feel any sort of guilt or regret, you'd be a sociopath.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of dorks going "well what about human life hmmmm?" in this thread (at least the first few pages) gave me a headache.

Like, it isn't that hard to see why people are more affected by violence (and general sadness, as there are popular websites that catalogue things like "does the dog die in this movie") against animals. Pretty much everyone deals with the death of a pet and probably hasn't had a family member of friend die by a knife to the face. Then there's the cultural aspects of so much of our media dealing with combat against other people being normalized.

You guys are using the same reason people use to defend anime titties (both that the character / dog isn't real, and most games contain far worse things to do morally). Yes, murdering someone is worse than objectifying a woman, but shockingly more people are put off by the thing they experience and deal with in their lives. It ain't that hard to grasp like some of you dense motherfuckers are pretending.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean misanthropy is a thing. I feel like you're a sociopath though.

Personally the person who raises the most "socipath flags" in this thread to me is the one that accused another of having a broken mind and having sex with dogs.

It's kind of hilarious because the mark of sociopathy is the inability to put oneself on another person's mind, and I haven't exactly seen a lot of effort in that direction before grabbing the pitchforks and torches.

You don't think he's a sociopath?

See above.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Personally the person who raises the most "socipath flags" in this thread to me is the one that accused another of having a broken mind and having sex with dogs.

It's kind of hilarious because the mark of sociopathy is the inability to put oneself on another person's mind, and I haven't exactly seen a lot of effort in that direction before grabbing the pitchforks and torches.

"I would rather save a dog than a little kid from a painful death"

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
You can cut, poison, throw rocks at other people's dogs in Pokemon.

And if you do it till the dog faints, you get rewarded with money!

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, hold on which JRPG boss are you quoting this entire thread again?

I think it's this one:

I admit I struggle to empathize with people who think animals are more important than humans.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
People on a gaming forum calling OP crazy for having an emotional response to something that happens in a videogame "because it's not real" is. pretty strange. Something being fictional does not stop people from crying at the movies or feeling disgusted when reading a book so why would it be any different for games. Everyone has their limits on what they can handle. It's cheap to have villains do sick shit to a vulnerable and innocent character to get the audience against them, but usually that is the intention of the writers. Or they may just be sadistic who knows. It's not like op is telling people to boycott the game lol.
Also, dogs for a lot of people have the image of "man's best friend", so people will have a noticeably strong emotional attachment to them. While violence against humans is far more normalized in general, so it's not really hypocritical to be more bothered by animal cruelty when it's not something you are used to seeing.

Last edited: