• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
Trailer

Players will be able to traverse the post-apocalyptic and dried-out sea of FAR: Lone Sails when it release on May 17th for PC via Steam and later this year on consoles. The vehicle adventure game will make you explore a desolate world and its remains of a decaying civilization without knowing how far your vessel will be able to go. This is where vehicle management and environmental puzzles will be useful to overcome obstacles and hazardous weather conditions, making your passages varying from peaceful moments to more challenging situations.

https://www.gamersyde.com/news_far_lone_sails_releasing_may_17th-19912_en.html

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That looks pretty cool and unique. I don't know if I've seen a game like it. I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
An 8/10 from Gamespot
Lone Sails is a transfixing, lovely experience, one that takes recurring indie game tropes and does something unique and fun with them. It's short enough that you could play through it in a single two or three-hour session, but it will likely stick with you for a long time. I can see myself going back in a few months just to revisit the ship, like checking in on an old friend.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A pseudo-review/gameplay impression from Polygon
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/16/17357762/far-lone-sails-game-pc-mac
More meaning, conveyed silently, than many major AAA games released so far this year...
The puzzles aren't perfect and, frankly, neither is the physics simulation that underlies the game itself. But Far is greater than the sum of its parts. The care with which the small team at Okomotive created the surrounding environments more than makes up for any quirks and bugs, as does the surprising payoff in the final third of the game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it today and enjoyed the game but $15 might be steep for some. It's really short, took me less time than Limbo and Inside which are both very comparable to this.

KodeAndGame

Oct 26, 2017
I really like FAR Lone Sails. If you like INSIDE or LIMBO, you might like FAR Lone Sails. It's an atmospheric platformer adventure. It's more lighthearted than those games despite taking place in a dystopia. Honestly just moving the ship forward was a joy. I have more thoughts in a recent video I did:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game is out for PS4 and is gorgeous on a big screen.

As said, if you enjoyed Inside, there is some similarities with this one but in a total different mood and setup.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty.

My first thought was, "well, I certainly wouldn't want to be out there using sails with big ass holes in them >__>"

Depending on the conditions, having a hole in a sail can keep it from tearing. Parachutes always have holes direction on top to keep them from tearing.

Of course this is a stylistic choice but who knows. Just a thought I guess.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I think i'll be buying this. Though i'm wondering if the "keeping the vehicle moving" is fun or mostly doing repetitive tasks?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and even though it wasn't as great as it could have been, I really did have a memorable experience. I loved that the game dared to leave you alone for longer times where nothing really happens except your okomotive driving forward and all there is to do is to take in the forsaken scenery and think about what happened to this world and if you are all alone. From a game mechanics point of view I really enjoyed the occasional upgrades to the okomotive and would like to see this to be used in a space or underwater setting.

In any case: I really enjoyed my experience with the game and big bonus points for having a shorter but tighter game.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I searched but didn't find an OT. I've been looking forward to playing this for a long time and i finally did this weekend. Actually, i played it twice in 2 days.

The strongest aspect of this game is without doubt the presentation. The game has great art direction, amazing visuals, nice sound effects and a great soundtrack. It all helps to create a very nice and moody atmosphere. It's easily amongst my favourite games in that regard.

Gameplay wise, i'd say it was ok if maybe a bit underdeveloped? I mean, it's certainly original and fresh but i feel more could have been done with the mechanics. The puzzles weren't really puzzles in that they were all easy and the vehicle management never really developed, despite getting some new tools. But i guess this game was more about the experience and atmosphere and less about the gameplay. In fact, my favourite moments in the game were the ones where you set sail and put down the controller.

I experienced quite a few bugs on PS4. A lot of times, the menu wouldn't load when starting the game. The game was stuck in an infinite loading wheel. Happened quite a lot so i had to restart the game until it worked. Also, at times, you can do game breaking things with the only option to reload your save.

All in all, well worth it if you are into cinematic game experiences (like Limbo or Inside). Okomotive surely is an interesting and talented developer and i can't wait to see what they do next.