• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is fine in isolation, but the thing is this is yet another example of how developers are exploiting the human psyche more and more. There's probably a term for what they're doing here in the field of psychology which has a negative connotation, at this point I'm totally convinced of that.

Here's an example of the actual conversations they're having at game dev studios in the modern day:

The running theme of everything he says is "here's how the human mind works, and here is a suggested strategy for exploiting this fact to maximize profit" which is wrong on so many levels. It is within this context that this news annoys me, otherwise I wouldn't think much about it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This is fine in isolation, but the thing is this is yet another example of how developers are exploiting the human psyche more and more. There's probably a term for what they're doing here in the field of psychology which has a negative connotation, at this point I'm totally convinced of that.

Here's an example of the actual conversations they're having at game dev studios in the modern day:

The running theme of everything he says is "here's how the human mind works, and here is a suggested strategy for exploiting this fact to maximize profit" which is wrong on so many levels. It is within this context that this news annoys me, otherwise I wouldn't think much about it.

There's no difference between this and mails you get from retailers like H&M or Best Buy referring to stuff left in your cart.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's "fine" with this until every game company starts flooding your email address threatening you to keep playing. Hyperbole? Maybe. But most likely a reality.

Nah, it's not even close to being a reality. Anyone who understands how effective CRM works would tell you that spamming users begging them to engage with your product doesn't even make sense.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I guess this is the equivalent to mobile games giving notifications. Weird feature though.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I avoid promo emails like the plague, so I would be bothered by this if it was unsolicited.

But as part of opt-in marketing emails? Do you, I guess.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At worst this is a good opportunity to click Unsubscribe and opt out of whatever communications you most likely signed up for inadvertently

Such a non issue

Feb 24, 2018
Seeing people supporting/defending Ubisoft in mass in this thread or even pulling stuff like "THAT is fucked ! Yet it's not Ubisoft so no outrage will be utured in here..." is more cringy then this Tweets to me. I think the tweets are silly (and it's why I don't sign-up to those newletters or just have them sent to my useless class email address) but let's really not side with UBISOFT to try to do a gotcha on Tweets that don't really matter.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting these engagement emails from ubisoft for years. I got this exact email not long after launch and thought it was cute and but for this thread I wouldn't even remember it.

I took this at face value as an in character email from the villain of the game I played and for those getting upset over a promotional email they didn't opt into for a game they didn't play please take a moment.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the first handful or replies to the OP. Doesn't seem 'tiny' when it starts out like that. I haven't read the other 10 pages but yeah it seems right of the gate many were negative to it.
It does when you scroll past the first 6 or so posts and realise the rest are mostly people saying "I don't ge the fuss".

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Immortals Fenyx Rising, did the same thing, ubisoft account probably keeping track of player activity. Someone thinks it's a good way to get people to come back to the game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I know it's intrusive but a message like this from El Presidente is kind of funny actually. It's alright given the context.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Everyone's "fine" with this until every game company starts flooding your email address threatening you to keep playing. Hyperbole? Maybe. But most likely a reality.
I delete 99% of emails without ever reading them. If I start to get too many from the same source I flag it as spam. I don't see it as an issue personally.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the first I've thought about Far Cry 6 in quite some time. I didn't even know it released.

Those emails are doing their job, this visibility is free marketing.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by how active this thread has been, and by the amount of people who express appreciation for a marketing email from Ubisoft.
It's really weird.
I don't find this marketing email cool, awesome, funny nor clever, looks like standard generic cynical marketing spam to me, but I guess I have to admit that it's effective marketing, somehow.

Anyway, fire Yves Guillemot and address the issues raised by the employees.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
At worst this would be a slight annoyance IMO but I find this funny on the Meta level many others have already touched upon. Shit game you didn't finish being like "YoU sUcK!" lol

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. It's not that these emails in and of themselves are that offensive… but perhaps Ubisoft would be better served worrying about making a new IP good enough to be a much-needed shot in the arm instead of begging people to keep playing their latest iteration of dog poop that is Far Cry 6. They've got Assassin's Creed and that's about it. Far Cry is played out juvenile garbage, and they somehow managed to ruin Watch Dogs after the second game which was one of my favorites from last gen.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
ah yes, another email. cue my outrage as google categorises this as Promotion

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
...of people mostly saying "what is the fuss?"

Do some of you even check threads before posting,...

you don't get to 10 [now 12] pages by people only saying "not a big deal."

there are posters here saying this is harassment or that they're going to uninstall the game because of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually part of the marketing where you get taunted by the Gus Fring dictator guy regardless of what you do. Probably one of the one cool things about this game

starsleep3

Oct 25, 2017
They are being sent as if Antón Castillo wrote them. Are people really getting upset by this?
Ubi has done this for years with their titles asking you to 'come back and continue the fight' etc.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think "mocking" isn't really the word here. It's just email marketing, it's referencing the game, it's harmless.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It's a non-issue but it's also not funny. Like I get the attempt at humor but it doesn't work. I mean some people think it's funny obviously but I'm giving them the side eye.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
thats a chuckle, delete from inbox, then never think about it again. Why is this 12 pages and a tweet with 27.9k likes, I must be missing something. I feel like I have even seen something like this before with a different game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's a non-issue but it's also not funny. Like I get the attempt at humor but it doesn't work. I mean some people think it's funny obviously but I'm giving them the side eye.
Side eye to Ubisoft for failing to humour you, or side eye to people for being humoured by Ubisoft? I'm curious why either deserves your disdain, suspicion or contempt for those.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
is that what's considered mocking? I mean, this is annoying to see but it doesn't seem mocking. Sounds like they're just using the character a little.