• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
The Faroes will be closed to tourists – except 100 volunteers – for a weekend in April as part of a campaign to promote tourism and sustainability

In parts of the Faroe Islands it rains 300 days a year, a national dish is wind-dried fermented mutton and the population of 50,000 people is outnumbered by sheep. Transforming this archipelago between Shetland and Iceland into a mainstream tourism destination was never going to be easy. However, the Faroese pride themselves on inventiveness and practicality, qualities that have seen tourist numbers increasing 10% a year over the past five years. In part, it's down to the work of Guðrið Hojgaard, director of the island's tourist board, who has been selected by Politico as one of the 28 people most likely to "shape the world in 2019".

Hojgaard is behind the idea that the Faroes "will be closed from 26-28 April", except for the 100 tourist volunteers who will be given free board and lodging in return for helping with practical projects to improve facilities for the 60,000 visitors who now choose the Faroe Islands for a holiday. The idea (more information at preservefaroeislands.com) is that tourists and locals collaborate on marking paths, creating signs and improving access to beauty spots that have become a success on Instagram. Lord of the Rings-style mountains, cute puffins and shaggy, shaggy sheep that come in dozens of different shades have made this a favourite destination for social media influencers. They fall for its quaintness: turf-roofed houses, dramatic waterfalls and misty Avalon-style landscapes.

More at link

5981bb5082f91.jpeg

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
lol... Who came up with that headline...? lol..

I live in the Faroe Islands.

This is just a part of Voluntourism ... where tourist can come and help maintain some of the most visited tourist places.

THEY ARE NOT CLOSING THE FAROE ISLANDS... not even for tourists..
They are just restricting access to the most visited places, so that the team of volunteers, from all over the world, can help make it better to visit.

Over the weekend of 26-27 April, major tourism sights in the Faroe Islands will be closed for regular tourists but open for everyone who wishes to help maintain them. In return for a helping hand, volunteers will be gifted both accommodation and food over the three-night maintenance period by the Faroese nation.

https://www.visitfaroeislands.com/closed/

man I hate tabloid headlines...

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017

This is just a part of Voluntourism ... where tourist can come and help maintain some of the most visited tourist places.

They are just restricting access to the most visited places, so that the team of volunteers, from all over the world, can help make it better to visit.

One and done

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How did you come to live there? What's it like?

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would love to visit one day.

hanmik are you a native? Anything exciting you'd sure about your home?
How did you come to live there? What's it like?

I am a Dane (but Denmark actually own the Faore Islands).. I have lived here for 20½ years now, so almost half of my life (I turn 44 in April).
I met a woman and we had a child together in Denmark, she was from the Faroe Islands, so we decided it would be a better life for a child to be raised up here than in Denmark. So we moved here in 1998. We split up in 2000, but I decided to stay because of our child. Since then I have met my beautiful wife and we have 3 kids together. Moved from Tórshavn (the capital) to a small city with 300 inhabitants, and now we just enjoy life and the laid back form of living that is up here.

There are lots of beautiful places to visit up here. And you can actually visit them all in a couple of days. We have big festivals (like the G-festival and the Summer-festival), and some big local celebrations (like Ólavsøka) during the summer. So there is a always something to see and do.

stop killing whales and dolphins

some times in life it helps to educate yourself.. https://www.whaling.fo/ enjoy.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017

Think it'd be worth it?

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Think it'd be worth it?

to visit the Islands or to join this initiative..? it is always worth a visit.. always..
if it is to help with the maintenance, then also yes (you pay for the trip, but get free accommodation and food) .. BUT they just said in the news that the people behind are surprised be the big feedback, looks like LOTS of people already have signed up for this.. so I am not even sure it is possible to be a part of this now.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
to visit the Islands or to join this initiative..? it is always worth a visit.. always..
if it is to help with the maintenance, then also yes (you pay for the trip, but get free accommodation and food) .. BUT they just said in the news that the people behind are surprised be the big feedback, looks like LOTS of people already have signed up for this.. so I am not even sure it is possible to be a part of this now.

Cool, thanks, will finish my sign-up and see ;)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, I really like the idea of voluntourism without the exploitative colonialist aspects that you typically see when it's organized through foreign ventures. I'd love to visit somewhere, spend a few days grooming a trail or helping catalog a historic collection or something, and get to see the place through a non-tourist perspective. Hopefully the program is a success and they're able to do more events like this.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
this is the view from my Balcony. Taken 2 weeks ago..
n4I0XYe.jpg

JzZzlZn.jpg

OL2gUi1.jpg

zWHS0yv.jpg

and this is how it looks when the Northern Lights shine on us (also 2 weeks ago). Not my pics (stolen from a friend)..
kOiXd6i.jpg

zmUxVlY.jpg

1vpgkZp.jpg

fsIJtoU.jpg

the country can be sooooo beautiful..
Yeah the natural beauty is incredible, I'm Scottish so Stornoway here is somewhat similar but I think you guys have it beat by a fair bit going from those pics.

I'd love to live somewhere like the Faroes even for just a year or two. Having scenes like those pics be normal has to be good for you.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the natural beauty is incredible, I'm Scottish so Stornoway here is somewhat similar but I think you guys have it beat by a fair bit going from those pics.

I'd love to live somewhere like the Faroes even for just a year or two. Having scenes like those pics be normal has to be good for you.

oh Scotland.. yeah that also looks nice .

Biggest minus living here... the weather.. like fucking storms all the time.. and in the span of one day you can experience snow, sun, rain and fog. But you get used to it.. (and it is expensive living here, like REALLY expensive).

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
oh Scotland.. yeah that also looks nice .

Biggest minus living here... the weather.. like fucking storms all the time.. and in the span of one day you can experience snow, sun, rain and fog. But you get used to it.. (and it is expensive living here, like REALLY expensive).
Yeah I can imagine, the logistics of importing stuff will be difficult even without the weather acting crazy driving up prices.

I'm not really adverse to shitty weather personally when the trade off is getting to wake up to views like that. Really want to live somewhere like the Faroes, feel like I'm a small town sorta guy if you know what I mean.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And btw.. Visit Faroe Islands (the company behind this initiative) is actually brilliant when it comes to marketing.

2 years ago they launched something called Sheepview.

That was an attempt to make google include The Faroes in their system...look what happened.

Google came..

And then they tried to get google to include the Faroese language into translate.. but that did not happen.. so instead..

https://www.faroeislandstranslate.com/#!/

This is a brilliant site that is much better than any translation site.. you can get people to read your sentences out to you. Real people from the Faroe Islands.
They really know how to promote these Islands..

ohh and here is the video for the new project.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a Dane (but Denmark actually own the Faore Islands).. I have lived here for 20½ years now, so almost half of my life (I turn 44 in April).
I met a woman and we had a child together in Denmark, she was from the Faroe Islands, so we decided it would be a better life for a child to be raised up here than in Denmark. So we moved here in 1998. We split up in 2000, but I decided to stay because of our child. Since then I have met my beautiful wife and we have 3 kids together. Moved from Tórshavn (the capital) to a small city with 300 inhabitants, and now we just enjoy life and the laid back form of living that is up here.

There are lots of beautiful places to visit up here. And you can actually visit them all in a couple of days. We have big festivals (like the G-festival and the Summer-festival), and some big local celebrations (like Ólavsøka) during the summer. So there is a always something to see and do.

some times in life it helps to educate yourself.. https://www.whaling.fo/ enjoy.
Man, all of that sounds so peaceful. Just from pictures alone I can tell life is beautiful there.

I will make it a goal to visit by the end of this year with a friend. I'm currently 31, no wife or kids. I wish many more years of happiness for you and your family ya Dane! (The Last Kingdom reference haha)

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man, all of that sounds so peaceful. Just from pictures alone I can tell life is beautiful there.

I will make it a goal to visit by the end of this year with a friend. I'm currently 31, no wife or kids. I wish many more years of happiness for you and your family ya Dane! (The Last Kingdom reference haha)

thanks... Faroe Islands is clearly worth a visit.. just to visit something different and enjoy the silence and clean air/water.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for the actual news.

I do like the idea of volutarianism, especially in beautiful places like this.

Like what you see? The help to keep it that way.

<3 nature

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
And btw.. Visit Faroe Islands (the company behind this initiative) is actually brilliant when it comes to marketing.

2 years ago they launched something called Sheepview.

That was an attempt to make google include The Faroes in their system...look what happened.

Google came..

And then they tried to get google to include the Faroese language into translate.. but that did not happen.. so instead..

https://www.faroeislandstranslate.com/#!/

This is a brilliant site that is much better than any translation site.. you can get people to read your sentences out to you. Real people from the Faroe Islands.
They really know how to promote these Islands..

ohh and here is the video for the new project.

Hahaha this is great marketing.