• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because of the real gachapon which exists on Japan for decades and it's the reason why gacha games are called like that. If you don't know, gachapon is this:

Wall_of_Gachapon_Akihabara-768x576.jpg

There's many of those and different places of Japan where you put money and you get something random. The same principle is used on mobile games, which is why it's called gacha. If you ask me, in Japan we see gacha being more well received by people because gachapon is already normalized for decades, so since gacha is similar, it's basically the same type of people that spend money to get what they want and all.
No I know that, but software and the access to it. Is a little different I feel. I know it plays on the same emotions and desires/addictions. But It's just oddly an isolated culture in terms of the gaming space it feels like.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong to say that about Japan as mobile is the biggest there and Japan is maybe only behind China but mobile overall is the biggest market on pretty much all countries and overall.

Mobile in Japan is also way more than just otaku, be it male or female. Pretty much everyone plays there.. not much different than what happens here in the west to be honest as you can see your mom playing candy crush. lol
It makes so much more sense to me in cultures where the economic viability of PC and home consoles is lower. But they have access, and money. And still choose it, and spend often substantially more money. Which is what wierds me out.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You're not wrong to say that about Japan as mobile is the biggest there and Japan is maybe only behind China but mobile overall is the biggest market on pretty much all countries and overall.

Mobile in Japan is also way more than just otaku, be it male or female. Pretty much everyone plays there.. not much different than what happens here in the west to be honest as you can see your mom playing candy crush. lol

Guarantee there is not a major percentage of moms playing Fate in Japan. Otaku-oriented games are not especially popular among adults past a certain age. Those series are kept alive by the enthusiasts who empty their bank account for certain IPs. This is the whole method for anime BD and merchandise sales; rather than price it lower at hopes of getting more casual fans and people on the fence, they can hike the prices up and get all the diehards to cash in.

OP
OP
Antiwhippy

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It makes so much more sense to me in cultures where the economic viability of PC and home consoles is lower. But they have access, and money. And still choose it, and spend often substantially more money. Which is what wierds me out.

Culture of commuting on public transport + high stress and long hours work culture = mobile gambling to blow off steam

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Guarantee there is not a major percentage of moms playing Fate in Japan. Otaku-oriented games are not especially popular among adults past a certain age. Those series are kept alive by the enthusiasts who empty their bank account for certain IPs. This is the whole method for anime BD and merchandise sales; rather than price it lower at hopes of getting more casual fans and people on the fence, they can hike the prices up and get all the diehards to cash in.

While this is generally accurate Fate/Grand Order is way to big just to be an "Otaku" thing now. It's part of a broader pop culture in Japan.

OP
OP
Antiwhippy

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

I've posted these on another thread.

Also the median age range seems to be around 25 compared to granblue which is around 41.

Fate GO actually do have a somewhat big female ratio, though obviously not as big as the male players, but it's growing over the years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder...inter_festival_official_survey_result_of_age/

2019 2018 2017
Male 69.8%. 70.9% 74.4%
Female 28.2% 27.0%. 23.8%
Others 2.0% 2.1% 1.8%
Also compared to another big gacha game, granblue fantasy

https://www.reddit.com/r/Granblue_e...ge_age_of_granblue_players_is_41_years_old_1/

They also have the gender ratio of GBF players: 17.4% female: 82.6% male.

Neil_Z

Oct 31, 2017
No one is saying that Sony Music isn't part of Sony. lol We're just not putting SMEJ and SIE at the same thing because they're different companies that pretty much compete with each other. Same for other Sony subsidiaries/divisions.

Like people here using Sony as if it's SIE in this case when it isn't. SIE mobile division is a different thing that has no success right now. Not even counting that SIE never would touch on Fate with how they're dealing with content on their platform since last year.

Fate Hollow Ataraxia is literally a game released by Type Moon in 2005 in PC and then got a rerelease in PSVITA by them as well. All of the last Fate games on console were released by Marvelous as the publisher in the last decade so it's pretty fair to say they have the license for it.

Also, I don't know why you're posting this first image when I'm not disputing anything that it's there. Which btw, it's listed there SMEJ segment which is where Aniplex is, as they're involved in all of those process. The graphic is missing manga though, but Aniplex isn't involved with it so that's probably why isn't there.

As for SIE involvement, if your argument is that they didn't involve with Fate because of it being a late-night anime and it's content, then now it's even more impossible to see that happening with how they're treating Playstation as a platform with content. You can be sure that if Fate GO was in SIE, it wouldn't be the game that it is with Aniplex because of how they see it. There's a pretty different view on the franchise in SIE which is pretty much a western company and Aniplex/SMEJ which is a japanese company altogether. If it was years ago, I could see it happening but right now with how they're dealing with things? Nah. I can see much more Aniplex doing that for all platforms with a developer for console than SIE.

Sorry, but Fate/hollow Ataraxia is published by Kadokawa on console in 2014. They also published Fate Stay Night on console in 2012. Type-Moon never published anything on consoles by themselves.

Looks like you know about Fate series just from Wiki, which is really funny because only Wiki doesn't show the true publisher of Fate series games on consoles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but Fate/hollow Ataraxia is published by Kadokawa on console in 2014. They also published Fate Stay Night on console in 2012. Type-Moon never published anything on consoles by themselves.

Looks like you know about Fate series just from Wiki, which is really funny because only Wiki doesn't show the true publisher of Fate series games on consoles.

You're right that it was published by Kadokawa Games, yeah. My bad, I remembered wrong. And no, I don't look at wiki for this as I try with what I know, even more because I'm one of those type of people that edit articles there for games, anime and manga in wikipedia. lol

Regardless, my second point about SIE remains.

I consider otaku gender neutral, I wasn't referring to female players in general. Just "older" players. 25 sounds pretty accurate.

Well, it indeed is as otome isn't a term used for girls. Unfortunately though, people in the west mostly use otaku to talk about male instead.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Damn, Sony is making some SERIOUS bank on a game most people in the west never even heard of.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Fate franchise niche in Japan or is it mainstream like MCU is here in the states?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
why haven't sony create a ps4 version that's crossplay with the mobile version is beyond me.

you will think that SIE and the Music division should have some sort of synergy for this type of collaboration to ensure great success of an already popular product.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
why haven't sony create a ps4 version that's crossplay with the mobile version is beyond me.

you will think that SIE and the Music division should have some sort of synergy for this type of collaboration to ensure great success of an already popular product.
You're talking about a company that once sued itself. That's how disconnected the divisions are.