• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While not suprising that Ishtar was so popular with Rin body, i'm really suprised that so few chose saber Artoria, even if her Formal CE is a bit meh.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
While not suprising that Ishtar was so popular with Rin body, i'm really suprised that so few chose saber Artoria, even if her Formal CE is a bit meh.

I get that she's popular but I always get the impression that she wasn't the most popular, especially with other heavy hitters like modred, scat hatch,Jeanne and Nero on the list.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe western fans that voted did not care much about Extra and Apocrypha and felt more of an emotional link to Tohsaka.
Or it's maybe a yukata fetish.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Mordred is all that popular. Also Jeanne is the second most chosen.

Probably just weabs being weabs and going for the yukata.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered about that, actually. Is Artoria still the most popular Type-moon character if we're talking fanbase-wise? I don't doubt that she's still the most recognizable, being the face of the franchise and all, but at least as far as online presence is concerned Jeanne/Jalter (the latter, mostly) kinda seems to have the most feverish following out of any other character. Of course, I have no idea if this also holds true for the japanese fans, but considering Jalterzerker's summer event is one of the official accounts' most liked/shared tweets then it can't be that far off. Bummer that they haven't done any official polls post-FGO to get a feeling on how the landscape has changed.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I wish I could find somebody with Ushi. I couldn't pick her since I haven't cleared Camelot (I'm half-way through Ch.9) or beyond yet. :(

I picked Altera. Got Nito and Ishtar in Spirit Origin list from friends. ... but man, I wish I could find Ushi.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I've wondered about that, actually. Is Artoria still the most popular Type-moon character if we're talking fanbase-wise? I don't doubt that she's still the most recognizable, being the face of the franchise and all, but at least as far as online presence is concerned Jeanne/Jalter (the latter, mostly) kinda seems to have the most feverish following out of any other character. Of course, I have no idea if this also holds true for the japanese fans, but considering Jalterzerker's summer event is one of the official accounts' most liked/shared tweets then it can't be that far off. Bummer that they haven't done any official polls post-FGO to get a feeling on how the landscape has changed.

Here's a recent Reddit survey with 3000 respondents. Most popular servants are broken down by rarity at the bottom.

Jalter definitely is the favourite.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
For FGO maybe. But most popular Type Moon character overall? Somehow I kinda doubt it. Casual fans who only know original Fate Stay Night or general anime viewers wouldn't even know who Jalter is.

Oct 25, 2017
FGO was a mistake. If they ever do another popularity poll and I see a bunch of bums in the top 10 with Shiki, Emiya etc dropping out I will smh so hard.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
That Lancelot, though.
ecLGXNG.png

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a recent Reddit survey with 3000 respondents. Most popular servants are broken down by rarity at the bottom.

Jalter definitely is the favourite.
Proof that Gilles de Rais is the most successful fanfic writter in history. Truly the greatest cool.
I'm just happy that Gilgamesh is up there with the waifus, but Casgil needs more love. Scáthach above the Rinfaces I did not expect at all though. Seems like the majority of the votes went to the SSR list, so I don't know how accurate it actually is in terms of just which characters people like in general rather than gameplay attachment. Like, I can't see Melt, Gil or Okita beating Artoria in an honest-to-god straight up popular vote. I mean, a Sakuraface beating Saber? SAKURA beating SABER? This is a new reality I am not used to.

FGO was a mistake. If they ever do another popularity poll and I see a bunch of bums in the top 10 with Shiki, Emiya etc dropping out I will smh so hard.
Shiki Tohno or Ryougi? The latter probably holds up fine thanks to ufotable and being in FGO, but the former... Yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Shiki Tohno or Ryougi? The latter probably holds up fine thanks to ufotable and being in FGO, but the former... Yeah.
Nanaya > Tohno. But I was on about Ryougi yeah.

I'm pretty sure there was a popularity poll in 2017 and the OG TM characters performed strongly (Shiki, Emiya, Arturia, Arc in the top 10 etc), but I don't know how it'd look now. The Tsukihime characters would probs be non-existent at the very least, F.

Aquila

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, those of you pulling for summer can have my luck. 4/5 chance for something new from gssr and whaddyaknow.... Nobu is cool and Nero's kit is crazy but they're not enough to make me roll. Unless Angra Mainyu finally comes home and demands luck be burned.
When we're all talking about budgeting for whichever servants, I wish there was a way to identify if a given person is completely FTP, has spent here and there, or went all in for something before. Kind of changes the dynamic of saying you've allocated X quartz depending on whether that's an amount you're willing to spend in real money or not.
My account is f2p asides from an $80 google play card and a few cents worth of surveys (gssr obviously). I just chart my saved sq for the 3-4 servants that I'd like to have throughout the year. I have fallen into the rabbit hole of buying figmas of my servants now though.
I'd be curious to see how many people even know who Gun God or V/V are.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Schez most hated 5* in a world where Tesla exists?
Astolfo 2nd most hated 4* in a world where Edison exists??

I'll never see eye-to-eye with these people. As usual Reddit proves itself to be trash.

585588675321266196.png

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I realized while going about setting up teams for the event rerun is that I need to be really careful about limit breaking event CEs going forward, depending on how useful the LB CE effect will be outside of the event versus the utility of having multiple copies lying around at the ready when a rerun happens.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fionn is so overhated, his armour design is one of the better ones in the game. I wouldn't mind him spooking me one day.

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I can't see Melt, Gil or Okita beating Artoria in an honest-to-god straight up popular vote. I mean, a Sakuraface beating Saber? SAKURA beating SABER? This is a new reality I am not used to.

Dude, melt just had a whole arc dedicated to how much of a waifu she is and Artoria got literally nothing in the whole of fgo so far lol.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I wonder if
we'll see artoria, or maybe arthur in LB 6

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
That's got nothing to do with popularity tho. It's because Nasu considers OG Arturia's story to be complete with the VN and F/Z. Same reason there isn't really a big focus on the other OG cast.

That's what I mean though. Of course Melt will be more popular in a poll for FGO compared to saber if you gave Melt such a big focus for one arc and literally nothing for saber unless you count camelot, which I guess you should, but even then not really to the extent of the focus melt got.

And honestly, seeing how popular Gilgamesh is, I dunno if it's a split in audience thing.

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
If I hadn't found out you were the BE Chilly the other day this would have definitely told me so haha.

But yeah it kind of sucks. There's no equality whatsoever in Fate.
Yoooo that Nobu artwork is clean af.
I don't think Mordred is all that popular. Also Jeanne is the second most chosen.

Probably just weabs being weabs and going for the yukata.
Mordred is definitely one of the more popular characters. Mainly because she was the only redeemable part of Apocrypha though. If the focus had remained on her it might have been a better show.

I don't really like her Formal Dress artwork though.
I wish I could find somebody with Ushi. I couldn't pick her since I haven't cleared Camelot (I'm half-way through Ch.9) or beyond yet. :(

I picked Altera. Got Nito and Ishtar in Spirit Origin list from friends. ... but man, I wish I could find Ushi.
I just finished leveling Ushi. I've done her strengthening and interludes, but none of her skills are upgraded. I can put her on my support list if you want?
One thing I realized while going about setting up teams for the event rerun is that I need to be really careful about limit breaking event CEs going forward, depending on how useful the LB CE effect will be outside of the event versus the utility of having multiple copies lying around at the ready when a rerun happens.
Yeah I usually don't merge them if I know there's a rerun coming and I feel I'll need multiple copies. They take up so much space though.
That's got nothing to do with popularity tho. It's because Nasu considers OG Arturia's story to be complete with the VN and F/Z. Same reason there isn't really a big focus on the other OG cast.
I find that surprising because of the event we're about to get. Her role in the summer event just said that she hadn't really grown at all. I thought there was going to be more to explore with her at some point in FGO but guess not.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I just finished leveling Ushi. I've done her strengthening and interludes, but none of her skills are upgraded. I can put her on my support list if you want?

Oh, thanks for the offer, but I meant the limited Ushi CE. The one for Anniversary here. People are able to add them to their Spirit Origins list by using a friend support with that CE equipped. That's how I got Nito and Ishtar CE's despite picking Altera for myself.

Edit: Also, shame on you. Sieg was the only bad part of Apocrypha lol. The servants kicked ass, and I loved them all aside from Sparticus tbh.

Semiramis is my Queen, and probably the only unit I'm willing to really mega-whale for. Tbh, the anime didn't give her enough screentime. :p
(But I also agree that Mordred is very cool as well.) Like I said I love all the Apocrypha Servants.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I mean though. Of course Melt will be more popular in a poll for FGO compared to saber if you gave Melt such a big focus for one arc and literally nothing for saber unless you count camelot, which I guess you should, but even then not really to the extent of the focus melt got.

And honestly, seeing how popular Gilgamesh is, I dunno if it's a split in audience thing.
Ah ok, my dumb ass misunderstood the point you were making :P

I find that surprising because of the event we're about to get. Her role in the summer event just said that she hadn't really grown at all. I thought there was going to be more to explore with her at some point in FGO but guess not.
I love anything and everything to do with the Fate knights of the round table so I hope we get more as well, but yeah that's what Nasu has said in the past.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I gotta applaud DW on how they handled Columbus in Agartha.

They did not hold back whatsoever, with regards to the atrocities he committed in real life.

Also, fingers-crossed for some future Penthesilea-Achilles scenarios.

Lots of potential with those two involved, lol

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks for the offer, but I meant the limited Ushi CE. The one for Anniversary here. People are able to add them to their Spirit Origins list by using a friend support with that CE equipped. That's how I got Nito and Ishtar CE's despite picking Altera for myself.

Edit: Also, shame on you. Sieg was the only bad part of Apocrypha lol. The servants kicked ass, and I loved them all aside from Sparticus tbh.

Semiramis is my Queen, and probably the only unit I'm willing to really mega-whale for. Tbh, the anime didn't give her enough screentime. :p
(But I also agree that Mordred is very cool as well.) Like I said I love all the Apocrypha Servants.
Ah sorry, I completely misunderstood.

Yeah you're right about Apocrypha. I think it's because I'm thinking purely of the story. In the first half you have like 4 perspectives: Jeanne's, Mordred's, Team Black's, and Team Red's. Mordred's was the strongest but each of them were fine enough. But in the second half it just becomes Jeanne's/Sieg's story, which was completely trash and forced. So when I say Mordred was the only redeemable part what I'm actually saying is why the hell wasn't Mordred's perspective made the focus instead of that garbage romance lol.
Ah ok, my dumb ass misunderstood the point you were making :P

I love anything and everything to do with the Fate knights of the round table so I hope we get more as well, but yeah that's what Nasu has said in the past.
Well that sucks. I would have liked there to some resolution between Artoria and Mordred at some point.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm all about Sakura getting recognition in some form or another after years of getting constantly shit on by the fanbase so I'm not complaining, but I'm also not used to it :P
Dude, melt just had a whole arc dedicated to how much of a waifu she is and Artoria got literally nothing in the whole of fgo so far lol.
I know, but still, it just feels surreal to me considering Saber's popularity is more widespread, while Melt just got a single event. And even in FGO she still has the highest amount of alts lol

"Her story is complete" is such a lame cop out from Nasu, speaking of which. At least let her take part in some events then, like Emiya.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone planning to do for the development quests in the rerun? Try to get all the unselected choices from the first time around, go with the same thing as before, or some combination?

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'm probably gonna try to make a nice island, last summer I followed mordred when possible to make her happy but the Island ended up looking like trash

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I did everything already the first time around, so I'll just go with my favorites and whatever I feel looks the best.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Last year I mostly focused on making Tamamo and Kiyohime happy. This year I think I'll focus on Mordred.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I already did everything in part 1 last year and part 2 is mostly uninteresting. I already have more mana prisms than I could possibly spend in over an entire year, so I'll just run through everything once except the final step for the multiple lores.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Since some people were discussing Apocrypha, is it even worth watching or reading? On one hand I want to watch it for Karna, Mordred, Jeanne and Amakusa, but I only ever see people bashing it.

I also want to read Prototype Fragments but finding the translations is such a mess. Sometimes it feels like Strange Fake is like the only Fate spin-off being consistently translated and shared in an accessible manner (and Illya I guess), everything else is either ignored or a rubic's cube of summaries and incomplete translations.

qon

Oct 25, 2017
I went into Apocrypha understanding that people didn't like it but I enjoyed it. There were some boring plot lines and a few characters were super dull but overall it was fun and not Last Encore.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I enjoyed watching and reading it, but probably reading it more just for the added perspective. You always lose something in the process of animating a book, like when people compare movies to books and always go "the books were better!" It's kinda like that with Apocrypha... They gloss over a lot and change some things even (for the worse imo.)

Well that said, even if you seperate your feelings for the franchise from the series, it's still an above average action anime. I think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that it's not ufotable, it's not Fate/Zero (which many consider the pinnacle of Fate lol), etc... It has high standards to live up to, but it just can't.

Also as previously discussed the Sieg/Jeanne aspect gets a heavy focus in the later half and it's SO forced... a lot of people checked out right there lol, can't blame them. Still, there are some nice moments as it closes. AmakusaXSemiramis end burns my soul. AtalanteXAchilles had me on the verge of tears myself. (She has such a beautiful dream.) And SiegXKarna is just an epic battle to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.