• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri jury has convicted a father and son for attacking a Pokemon Go rival in a dispute that ended with all three men in a lake.

The St. Louis County jury on Wednesday found Robert Matteuzzi, 75, and Angelo Matteuzzi, 33, guilty of third-degree assault. Jurors recommended a sentence of three days in jail and a fine for the father, and only a fine for the son.

In June 2018, the Matteuzzis were on one team and the victim was on another. Both teams wanted to claim a Kirkwood Park gym — a site in the game where teams can compete for control.

After a scuffle, Angelo Matteuzzi and the victim rolled into a lake. Prosecutors said Robert Matteuzzi jumped in, dunked the victim and held him underwater while his son punched him. The victim suffered facial abrasions and other injuries, including to his eye.

Pokemon GO is serious business. Swim with me in the Lake of Rage if old.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ. As a Go player in a busy area I've definitely had gym scuffles and it's hard to imagine spending an ounce of actual stress on that bullshit.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You know, it DID get heated often but it never actually came to blows around here. I can totally see some people going too far with this.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
That last name is very close to Mandelbaum

817-english-patient.png

"You think your Pokemon are better than me? It's go time!"

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
"Prosecutors said Robert Matteuzzi jumped in, dunked the victim and held him underwater while his son punched him."

I legit would fear for my life and think I was about to die if this happened

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some people take gyms in PoGo was too seriously, had a friend who was threatened face to face with physical violence just for daring to kick someone off a gym after they had been on there for over a day.

I love the game but just do not get the need to hog gyms, just get your 50 coins a day and be done with it.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Holding someone underwater even for a couple moments should get you "Attempted Murder" charges in a just world.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That recommended sentence is too damn soft. They were close to killing a man. How are they both not serving time? They're both grown-ass men!

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I can't imagine giving enough of a shit about claiming a Pokémon gym that I would assault someone else trying to do the same. Honestly, if someone tried to come at me about it, I'd just tell them to take it. Clearly they have less of a life than I do. lol

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Allow me to explain.

In Pokémon games, Poisoned is a status effect.

There is also a move called - Toxic - , a move that is well regarded for its utility and for the fact that most Pokémon can learn it.

Using that move results in the target being - badly poisoned - .

Now you get it. 🙂