• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a butt rock kick all morning, what are your favorites?

Butt rock: 90s to mid-2000s heavy rock bands where the singer's grungy voice sounds like he's singing into spread butt cheeks.

My all time favorite:

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Butt rock: 90s to mid-2000s heavy rock bands where the singer's grungy voice sounds like he's singing into spread butt cheeks.

My all time favorite:

Wtf? Where did you hear that definition.

The term comes from a nationwide advertising campaign on hard-rock radio stations in the 1990s that used the tagline "Rock. Nothing but Rock." Listeners quickly changed that to "Nothing Butt Rock." Though it refers to anything played on hard-rock stations, it commonly is used to refer to 'hair-bands' or used by people to distinguish the 'bad' butt rock from the hard rock that they like.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The singer in the OP doesn't sound like that? You mean cheesy grundge?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

The term comes from a nationwide advertising campaign on hard-rock radio stations in the 1990s that used the tagline "Rock. Nothing but Rock." Listeners quickly changed that to "Nothing Butt Rock." Though it refers to anything played on hard-rock stations, it commonly is used to refer to 'hair-bands' or used by people to distinguish the 'bad' butt rock from the hard rock that they like.
I like OP's more.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Sets down lemonade, leans back in rocking chair on the porch...

I remember when butt rock was bad 80s hair bands, like Poison.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Ya, this is the definition I'm familiar with, not whatever OP is saying.

Three Days Grace's Animal I Have Become would be mine.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all of Crush 40 from the last generation of 3D Sonic games are the buttiest rock I've ever found myself jamming out to whenever one of their songs comes on.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
I guess butt rock is kind of like hipster in that it means whatever you don't like?

To me it always referred to cheesy hair metal like Whitesnake. The implication being that they were feminine and probably gay.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So guilty pleasure rock songs of the 90s.

Lips of an Angel - Hinder

OP
OP
Arc

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No its because they sing into butt cheeks.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh no question. It's the first song that pops into my head whenever I hear the phrase "butt rock" and I wouldn't have it any other way.
mynicca1.png

Oct 26, 2017
A popular term referring to a sub-genre of hard rock strongly influenced by post-grunge and nu metal. Originating in the mid-late 90s, butt rock is comprised of raspy vocals, similar to Pearl Jam, Creed, or Nirvana, backed with radio-friendly guitar riffs, drum beats, and basic bass lines.

Generally found on CBS owned radio stations across the Midwest, Great Plains, and Southwest, butt rock is overly commercialized, processed music that lacks innovation and creativity. Butt rock predominantly targets a demographic of blue collar workers, generally men 18-45, that drink cheap light beer, have a fascination with big trucks, avidly watch Monday Night Football, and are wannabe UFC fighters.

Women that listen to butt rock are usually huge fans of Guns N Roses, and are drawn to the sub-genre by the subconscious influence of corporate agenda, or out of sympathy for their significant other's terrible local band.
Butt rock groups include Nickelback, Seether, Theory of a Deadman, 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Five Finger Death Punch, amongst others.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
yeah 'butt-rock' is tough because it seems like it might describe so many things.

But post-grunge is certainly too noble a name for the genre.

Scrunge is closer, I still feel like there's a better name out there somewhere...

OP
OP
Arc

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah 'butt-rock' is tough because it seems like it might describe so many things.

But post-grunge is certainly too noble a name for the genre.

Scrunge is closer, I still feel like there's a better name out there somewhere...

My thoughts exactly, butt-rock just works better.

Creed is also butt-rock imo

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry... i remember this term butt rock being associated with hair metal/glam of the 80's
Now you're saying it's about post-grunge 90's and 2000 bands?

WTF