• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up as an 80s kid, I've always felt I grew up in the ultimate mecca of catchy commercials with "stuck in your head 25 years later" jingles. What's some of your favorites?

Crossfire is an obvious one, but I actually appreciate the lyricist that came up with Gator Golf.

https://youtu.be/e8lDfSR_q_s

"What could be greater than playing a game of golf with a gator" ? Move over, rap artists. Watch a pro!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The longest running commercial that I STILL see on channels to this very day:

I think the full version originally debuted in 1970, I remember it from my youngest years in the early 80s, and my younger sibs all remember it from their younger years in the 90s. I think they eventually TRIED to retire it by making a newer CG version of the commercial, but it was short-lived and they went back to airing the original. I literally saw this commercial on tv last week.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017

It's funny that, a decade later, Mario could grow to this size in the games.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that grew up in Louisiana and maybe the surrounding states in the late 80s early 90s is familiar with the Diesel Driving Academy commercial (and song). I know about seven phone numbers by heart, and Diesel Driving Academy is one of them.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The longest running commercial that I STILL see on channels to this very day:

I think the full version originally debuted in 1970, I remember it from my youngest years in the early 80s, and my younger sibs all remember it from their younger years in the 90s. I think they eventually TRIED to retire it by making a newer CG version of the commercial, but it was short-lived and they went back to airing the original. I literally saw this commercial on tv last week.

Is this just an American thing? Because I've only seen this in the wild once in my life.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Chef's Choice "The Freezer Pleaser" commercial jingle will never leave my brain.

What kind of Campbells kid are you?

Last edited:

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
The absolutely iconic North American House Hippo, and all the other concerned children's advertisers commercials are all quite a trip probably if you're Canadian

Kelpie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
If commercial bumpers count then I'll say ABC's "After these messages..." It's still stuck in my head 30 years later.

If not then I'm a Toys R Us kid!

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
The commercial for Grape Escape. I don't know what it was that drew me but I begged my parents for that game for Christmas. I got that and Mouse Trap that year.

And here's a bit of a weird one

I loved the commercial for Royal Farms when I was a child. I'd watch the news at 10 just to see the commercial, I was a weird kid lmao.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first commercial jingles I remember as an 80s kid was for "Sure" deodorant:

Also, Lionel Kiddie City(though it was a Lionel Playworld, where I lived):

Last edited:

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Not sure if I'd call it a favorite, but NFL Network's "Being Rich Doesn't Suck" ad still stands out in my memory 14 years later because it ended the long-running argument between me and my parents about whether the word "suck" was inappropriate. Also, it features a great Traffic song, though IIRC I didn't start listening to Traffic much until a couple years later.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's so calming.

I've know every line and every edit. Seen it hundreds of times.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The Donkey Kong Country commercials have stuck in my head, specifically the one where DK is riding a motorcycle.

Also, the Hungry, Hungry Hippos ones.

The X-Files' new episode commercials also, the ones on Fox. They really went a bit far, venturing into spoiler territory.

Anything with the Folgers "The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup" song.

Yeah, those were always good.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Oh man, you hit a nerve.

Crossfire
Pocket Rockers
Hi-C Ecto Cooler
Shark Attack
Jaguar 64 ("WHICH HAS MORE BITS, CLIFFORD??!")
Mighty Max/Polly Pocket
Teddy Motha'Fucka Ruxpin

Pogoball Blaster (SPECIFICALLY this commercial, the rest blow.)

And my personal favorite of favorites

Fireball Island
"Im dogmeat!!"

Something...deep and innate has been lost in our culture since then...

Fake edit: Only two pieces of media??! Lame-o!!! Originally, these all had videos.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can tell peoples ages by how bad the video quality is....lol

Anyway a few more.

RD-D2 lighting up...

Pee Wee talks CRACK