• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Not the main character but they keep the narrative at they house...

"Diamond is Unbreakable" is great and I love Koichi almost if not more than Josuke 😭

What "secondary main characters" are your favorite characters?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1ogLT8X.jpg
Nagito Komaeda from Danganronpa 2. An excellent subversion of expectations coming from the preceding game, and arguably the game's narrative driving force. He's insane, constantly entertaining, and the most powerful and terrifying member of the cast.
You even play as him in DR2, reinforcing the deuteragonist role.

Oct 26, 2017
Since you memtioned JoJo, I'll go with Bruno Bucciarati.

Hell, you could even argue that he's the true protagonist of Part 5.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

He 100% is. The character development & hero's journey only works if you assume Bruno is the protagonist and Giorno is the sidekick (even taking Koichi's role after encountering him). The final arc is even based on Bruno!

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Funny OP, one of the main reasons why Part IV is my least favorite JoJo arc is exactly Koichi. He takes too much of the spotlight, and gets more character development than Josuke - who is a pretty cool and interesting character, sadly underdeveloped. I liked Koichi's appearance in Part 5 though! (and Bruno is a better deuteragonist there)

A deuteragonist that I really like is Homura from Madoka Magica, she end's up stealing the show.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I mean we just had a thread where Era correctly voted Kuwabara as the best Yu Yu Hakusho character, does he count? I know he tapers off towards the end, but that's okay, so does the whole show.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017

I'm slow walking the Golden Win anime; roughly half way through... The whole gang is cool as fucking shit!

I'm roughly half-way through the anime and it's hard to see that
I just started reading Stone Ocean and really digging Jolyne so far...
How great can this franchise really be, wtf?

Seriously, this shit is incredible

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slow walking the Golden Win anime; roughly half way through... The whole gang is cool as fucking shit!

I'm roughly half-way through the anime and it's hard to see that

I just started reading Stone Ocean and really digging Jolyne so far...
How great can this franchise really be, wtf?

Seriously, this shit is incredible
Part 8 is the best part and SBR is up there too.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
Funny OP, one of the main reasons why Part IV is my least favorite JoJo arc is exactly Koichi. He takes too much of the spotlight, and gets more character development than Josuke - who is a pretty cool and interesting character, sadly underdeveloped. I liked Koichi's appearance in Part 5 though! (and Bruno is a better deuteragonist there)

Koichi is the best Jobro BY FAR, as of Part 4, imho
Even Jotaro is like "you are the most reliable dude"

I mean we just had a thread where Era correctly voted Kuwabara as the best Yu Yu Hakusho character, does he count? I know he tapers off towards the end, but that's okay, so does the whole show.

Yu Yu Hakusho is definitely on the watch list cause HxH is incredible

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Koichi is the best Jobro BY FAR, as of Part 4, imho
Even Jotaro is like "you are the most reliable dude"

Yu Yu Hakusho is definitely on the watch list cause HxH is incredible
Oh please do watch it. It's on Hulu in the US if that applies to you, I'm currently watching it for my 4th or 5th time lol. I talked some shit about the ending but don't even worry about it, it's mostly* great.

* A couple incidents of derogatory ableist language and a scene that's kind of creepy/sexist/transphobic/weird

I've only watched the first couple of seasons of HxH and forget they're from the same author, I need to see if there's more episodes on Adult Swim or something.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Not really a fan of Koichi, but Bruno and Gyro are indeed rad as fuck.

Old Man Joseph's not bad, either.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Gyro but I'd be cheating because imho Gyro is the main character of part 7 jojo, johnny is just in it for the ride. So, I'd go with Koichi as well. I love Act 3

that square isn't even in the chimera ant arc. he's a chode.
Given that Steel Ball Run was originally billed as it's own thing and only actually became a Jojo part midway through it's run, I definitely think Gyro was originally intended to be the main character for it

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Gyro but I'd be cheating because imho Gyro is the main character of part 7 jojo, johnny is just in it for the ride. So, I'd go with Koichi as well. I love Act 3

that square isn't even in the chimera ant arc. he's a chode.
Bro he has his own arcs. He's the lead of York Shin and the lead of the current.

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
Part 8 is the best part and SBR is up there too.
Oh please do watch it. It's on Hulu in the US if that applies to you, I'm currently watching it for my 4th or 5th time lol. I talked some shit about the ending but don't even worry about it, it's mostly* great.

* A couple incidents of derogatory ableist language and a scene that's kind of creepy/sexist/transphobic/weird

I've only watched the first couple of seasons of HxH and forget they're from the same author, I need to see if there's more episodes on Adult Swim or something.

I unfortunately expect anime to be on some * shit, which is why I ignored it for years...

The HxH dub is pretty good and all on Adult Swim, which I wish I knew before I watched the sub from the Greed Island arc lol

Old Man Joseph's not bad, either.

Joseph is always great but Stardust Crusaders suffers from absolutely too much J. P. Polnareff, imo

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I unfortunately expect anime to be on some * shit, which is why I ignored it for years...

The HxH dub is pretty good and all on Adult Swim, which I wish I knew before I watched the sub from the Greed Island arc lol

Joseph is always great but Stardust Crusaders suffers from absolutely too much J. P. Polnareff, imo

Yeah, Polnareff is pretty lame, Abdul is sidelined (in more ways than one) too much, and Kakyoin is just sort of there, memes aside. They definitely muddy the waters too much in Part 3 with too many sidekicks. (Part 4 and 5 have a lot, too, but it feels like Araki had a better grasp by then of what the side characters are actually supposed to do. Like Part 4/5 are Justice League Unlimited, and Part 3 is Super Friends.)

OP
OP
Elegant Weapon
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Polnareff is pretty lame, Abdul is sidelined (in more ways than one) too much, and Kakyoin is just sort of there, memes aside. They definitely muddy the waters too much in Part 3 with too many sidekicks. (Part 4 and 5 have a lot, too, but it feels like Araki had a better grasp by then of what the side characters are actually supposed to do. Like Part 4/5 are Justice League Unlimited, and Part 3 is Super Friends.)

Avdol & Kakyoin are criminally underused considering what cool characters they seem and how really badass their Stands are.

And Stardust Crusaders drags.

Jotaro looks way cooler than he actually is, to me.

Like Part 4/5 are Justice League Unlimited, and Part 3 is Super Friends

Bruh, straight facts

Last edited:

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017

Oh god yes. Bucciarati is so damn good. He's my favorite, him and Mista. He's the best leader/capo. Plus he brings the team together.

JoJo is the best, I'd say it pretty much ruined other anime for me lol.