• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What are some guitar solos you think of that stand out the most to you, whether they be live or in studio, rock or blues, acoustic or electric?

I think this might be a bit of a cheat since it's technically the entire song but Eddie Hazel's legendary performance on Funkadelic's Maggot Brain is haunting, bombastic, and ethereal all at once. You can feel the raw emotion behind every note.

The myth behind it also elevates it, as the rumor goes (from Wikipedia):
According to legend, George Clinton, under the influence of LSD, told Eddie Hazel during the recording session to imagine he had been told his mother was dead, but then learned that it was not true.[1] The result was the 10-minute guitar solo for which Hazel is most fondly remembered by many music critics and fans. Though several other musicians began the track playing, Clinton soon realized how powerful Hazel's solo was and faded them out so that the focus would be on Hazel's guitar. Critics have described the solo as "lengthy, mind-melting" and "an emotional apocalypse of sound."[5]

The entire track was recorded in one take.

There's an excerpt from James Baldwin's "The Fire Next Time" about how the black musician's ability to capture an emotion by playing to the absence of it is unchallenged and I think this guitar solo captures that perfectly. I can listen to that performance forever and never tire of it.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Nels Cline:

Studio version of Impossible Germany is good but it's best live, especially recently, it's evolved over the years.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
For me it will always be Bathory's "Call from the Grave". It starts at around 2:25. My top 5 band and #1 sounding solo.

Edit: And of course Nile has many great solos. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods".

Last edited:

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the end of The Czar by Mastodon. Pretty much the tastiest, most ascendant solo I've ever heard

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Marquee Moon" by Television. It's just wild and loose but somehow builds tension until it sounds like flowers blooming after it reaches its climax. Just an absolutely amazing song.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very cliche answer, but the guitar solo to Hotel California is a freakin melodic masterpiece with harmonies to boot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Rush - La Villa Strangiato has my favourite solos ever. Starts at just over 2 minutes in on this vid. The restraint and constant build up is just incredible.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I am a pretty massive Slash fanboy. I realize he is not the most technical or most amazing guitarist, but I would rather listen to his solos over anyone elses any day. Just a pleasure to listen to, but my favorite is actually his solo from This I Love in the recent GNR shows. Was always a huge fan of the original studio song/solo even if Slash wasn't the one playing it, but he came in and completely made the solo his own and vastly improved it. My favorite version was this one.

Not an Axl fan? Skip to 2:00. That's when Slash comes in amd gets the solo kicked off.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017

Don't know that will count as a guitar solo but not enough people know of this band and the guitar work in this song is incredible

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
John Mayer's "I don't trust myself loving you" from Where the light is (or really... anything from that concert).
Starts around the 8 minutes mark.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
It's pretty much Bulls on Parade. I mean, c'mon how badass is it that he turns his guitar into a turntable?

Also, shoutout to The National Anthem by Jimi Hendrix. To satirize patriotism in the age of Vietnam by infusing the athem with the sounds of sirens and bombs falling and wailing and screaming -- ALL WITH YOU GUITAR. It's such a radical statement and I just love it.

Finally, because fuck you and guitar solos that are just there to clock a high number of notes per minute are boring as fuck, I also love Kurt freaking out during Nirvana's "Breed":

https://youtu.be/tGc8jL4dzao?t=127

Deleted member 20066

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Posted this live version of the song because Jim James gives a short story behind its meaning.
I can genuinely feel all the emotion he puts in each note.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I don't know if this counts but this guy playing "Arabaesque No. 1" by Debussy all by himself in a self-transcribed arrangement (which is near impossible) is absolutely stunning. This guy should be playing in theaters and he's uploading to youtube from an elevator lobby.

Also, Noveller creates incredible soundscapes all by herself, with one guitar, live onstage. Don't miss her.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about the way Slash takes Sweet Child O Mine into overdrive. It's not the most technically proficient solo, nor is it the most soulful, but it's so tasteful and fits the song perfectly. I cry evry tiem.

Jack Bonjour

Jan 15, 2018

I guess you could say I like long ass songs lol. Throw Down The Sword has harmonies up the wazoo and MUST be listened to using headphones.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

From around 2:45

Honestly, I got back and forth between thinking guitar solos are the worst thing in music though.