• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Indiana-Jones-Ride-56a952555f9b58b7d0fa4b70.jpg

so good... just so much detail, so many amazkng special effects.
It is unlike anything you have ever experienced I assure you

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Interestingly, my first ride at Disneyland's Space Mountain made me a bit sick, something that WDW's Space Mountain never managed over the dozen or more times I've ridden it in my lifetime.

Hmm... I wonder if FL's jerkiness and more sporadic nature goes better on your stomach than the smoother, longer, consistent curves and turns in CA?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
There seem to be a lot of people here who frequent Disneyland and Disney World; that's awesome!

I've been a Disneyland annual pass holder for 20 years since I was 11, and haven't missed a New Year's Eve celebration there since 1999. All my favorite memories happened there, and I can never get enough of it.

That said, I became a DVC member a few years ago, and have fallen in love with Disney World so much, that my significant other and I have decided to sell our place here in CA and move to a place twice as big there for half the price, rent out all the extra rooms we're not using, and have unlimited entertainment within 20 minutes from our home. We still have family we can stay here with as much as we want in CA, and we'll reserve a guest room for them, so it's a win/win all around.

We've taken up pin trading, pressed penny collecting, and Pokemon Go together, so we're so pumped to enjoy that together right in our backyard on a regular and convenient basis. And we've not even been to Universal Orlando, yet!

Envious of you and your ability to afford to make such sweeping decisions. Living hours away from a Disney Park has been a dream for the wife and I.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
It is unlike anything you have ever experienced I assure you

Have you guys tried pulling the bamboo stick to make the spiked ceiling come down in recent years?

I basically have to wind my arm around it and leverage a post with my hand and pull my whole body to get it to trigger, and my whole arm aches for 5 minutes after, haha. It's worth it to impress the groups, though!

Oct 27, 2017
Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride. So much atmosphere, great music, etc. I wish it'd stay open during Halloween night because the Nightmare Before Christmas attraction it turns into for the holidays I only get Christmas vibes from it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Space Mountain baby! WooooooooOOOOOOO!!!!!

flair-strut.gif

Seriously though, Space Mountain is the best. (I've only been on the Florida version)

Last edited:

YuShtink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tower of Terror in Florida, hands down.

Rock N Rollercoaster, Everest, and Avatar Flight of Passage are runners up.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Envious of you and your ability to afford to make such sweeping decisions. Living hours away from a Disney Park has been a dream for the wife and I.

Honestly, I can't afford not to make such a sweeping decision. Here in CA, we have to both work full time and rent out rooms just to make it each month with the 2000 sqft house we have here, when in FL, we can get a nearly 4000 sqft house with twice the rooms for exactly half the price, and rent all those rooms out, so that we can actually get ahead and have more fun with life, rather than just trying to keep up with the bills here in CA.

Also, top tier passes for Disney World are $569 for DVC members, and $1200 for Disneyland. No thanks. This will likely be our last year as annual passholders for Disneyland, not just because of the move, but because of the bottlenecked chaos that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will have on Disneyland, and the entire resort as a whole.

Thank goodness Galaxy's Edge is opening in the least popular park in Disney World. It will truly bring balance to the force.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys tried pulling the bamboo stick to make the spiked ceiling come down in recent years?

I basically have to wind my arm around it and leverage a post with my hand and pull my whole body to get it to trigger, and my whole arm aches for 5 minutes after, haha. It's worth it to impress the groups, though!

Yeah but it rarely ever works. That place needs an overhaul for repairs

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend got so mad at me when I said Captain EO was my favorite thing at Epcot. Rip.
Epcot blows ride-wise so I don't see why EO would be a bad choice.

many-adventures-of-winnie-the-pooh.jpg

Probably the most underappreciated modern ride. Based on one of the best classic movies, great pace, LOVE the dream sequence. I adored Mr Toad's but this is a worthy replacement.
Is this a troll post meant to anger Mr. Toad fans?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I can't think of anything note worthy at Disney. Maybe the Soarin ride at Epcot. I think Universal Studios' Harry Potter one where you're riding on a broom is probably my favorite ride ever.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Epcot blows ride-wise so I don't see why EO would be a bad choice

My fondest memories as a young child at Epcot were Captain EO and the original Journey into Imagination (Figment) ride. I would probably pick one of those for that particular park as well. (these days, I do love Soarin though)

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Disney World's The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

It's not just the best Tower of Terror. It's not even just the best ride at Disney World. It's the best ride ever produced. Period. The story begins like a quarter mile before you even get to the attraction, with Sunset Blvd serving as both a backdrop and build-up to the towering presence of the hotel.

Brilliant in every way. The details are alone are still unmatched by most rides; the way they translated the look and feel of an anthology TZ into an experience still gives me goosebumps. And the entire ride system is ingenious, with the 5th dimension scene being a legit mind-blowing moment (and one of the best uses of trackless vehicles to date.)

If I had more time, I'd write a few thousand more words about how ToT is THE standard for theme park rides.

Also, OG Star Tours gets an honorable mention, but the new one is such a letdown by comparison. It lost its heart in the update.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space Mountain before it was ruined by Star Wars.

Now? The toy story ride where you can shoot at the 3D screen.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone: Hollywood Tower of Terror
Both Orlando, for the ride system, and in California, acting as a weenie for the whole DCA 2.0 that was magnificent, until disney say fuck we are not giving a flying fuck about worldbuilding and good theming anymore.

Also im going to add that my favourite Disney Coaster was California Screamin', and Disney now can go and fuck itself by destroying Paradise Pier 2.0.
The Incredibles is my favourite animated 3d movie, but Pixar Pier and the Incredicoaster are fucking balls.

The Tron ride at shanghai disneyland is fantastic

Shanghai Disneyland is the worst park, but it has two of the best rides. (Tron and Pirates)
Someome hasent visited Walt Disney Studios in Paris it seems.

Carousel of progress.

As charming today as it was at the world's fair. And has the best Sherman bros song/s.

If I has to be a ride then it's a tie between pirates at DLC and haunted mansion at WDW. I feel sorry for folks who haven't seen the lagoon and proper drops at pirates in Cali, so much better.

This man knows whats talking about.

One of the reasons why I probably liked Iron Man 2 so much, even if people hate it.

With ones of the Shermans making a song similar to Theres a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and Tony Stark's dad basically being Walt Disney, it warms my heart.

Disney World's The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

It's not just the best Tower of Terror. It's not even just the best ride at Disney World. It's the best ride ever produced. Period. The story begins like a quarter mile before you even get to the attraction, with Sunset Blvd serving as both a backdrop and build-up to the towering presence of the hotel.

Brilliant in every way. The details are alone are still unmatched by most rides; the way they translated the look and feel of an anthology TZ into an experience still gives me goosebumps. And the entire ride system is ingenious, with the 5th dimension scene being a legit mind-blowing moment (and one of the best uses of trackless vehicles to date.)

If I had more time, I'd write a few thousand more words about how ToT is THE standard for theme park rides.

Also, OG Star Tours gets an honorable mention, but the new one is such a letdown by comparison. It lost its heart in the update.

Glad to see Andre knows whats up!

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Glad to see Andre knows whats up!

And likewise with your stance on Pixar Pier! Pixar isn't a theme! I seriously love Paradise Pier (even if it clearly has shortcomings) and the Pixar update does nothing to address those problems, while adding new ones of its own. Such a shame that Disney needs to shoehorn IP into everything these days--but even this is pretty tasteless by their modern standard.

And yes, California Screaming--despite the lack of the usual Disney theming--is a fantastic coaster.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been to Disneyland (California), California Adventure, Animal Kingdom (Orlando), Epcot (Orlando), Hollywood Studios (Orlando), Disneyworld (Orlando), and Tokyo Disneysea.

The best ride and by a fair margin is

I'm guessing a lot of people have not experienced it yet because it's new. But yeah, it's pretty obviously beyond anything else. It's amazing. The line ups are pretty much a steady 2-3 hours too, but it was the one ride that was actually worth it (*do not* confuse this with the Avatar riverboat ride, which I would pass on that if you don't have a FastPass, that one is not worth waiting 1+ hours for).

Pirates + Haunted Mansion + Space Mountain are the three classic attractions that you have to try to get the real Disneyland/World experience, but the new Avatar ride is clearly the best ride IMO.

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
For Florida it's between Tower of Terror and the Haunted Mansion. Theming and effects are incredible.

Paris however actually has the best Space Mountain - it's been redone more recently and has more inversions and a better sense of speed, plus the theming on the Jules Verne moon-cannon is inspired.
I mean, look at this thing:
IMG_8325-1024x683.jpg

This ride is garbage and left me in physical pain afterward. They took the bone-rattling uncomfortableness of the Matterhorn and cranked it up to 11. It does look cool though.

I haven't been on the newer version--did they actually replace the track? That'd be the only thing that would make me consider riding it again

Last edited:

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
My first visit to Disney World was around 95 (i was 14). The very first ride I got on was Alien Encounter. I was absolutely blown away with the animatronics and production of the ride. "Oh, so this is the Disney magic I've heard so much about." It's a shame they changed it. They should've had it in MGM with the Alien license to begin with. I was also consistently blown away by the meticulous theming at the rest of the parks and it's attractions.

Haunted Mansion is still my favorite ride though. I haven't seen the Nightmare Before Christmas version of it yet.

I'm also going to give a shout out to Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. I must have "rode" that four times in a row one day. I understand people seeing it as a waste of space but I still loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
My first visit to Disney World was around 95 (i was 14). The very first ride I got on was Alien Encounter. I was absolutely blown away with the animatronics and production of the ride. "Oh, so this is the Disney magic I've heard so much about." It's a shame they changed it. They should've had it in MGM with the Alien license to begin with. I was also consistently blown away by the meticulous theming at the rest of the parks and it's attractions.

Haunted Mansion is still my favorite ride though. I haven't seen the Nightmare Before Christmas version of it yet.

I'm also going to give a shout out to Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. I must have "rode" that four times in a row one day. I understand people seeing it as a waste of space but I still loved it.

wjyZBiw.gif

Alien Encounter was so damn good. As I said in my other post they changed it to Stitches great escape or whatever, but it looks like it wasn't even open anymore. Do they even still run it?

That shit would've been PERFECT for the Alien franchise at MGM/Hollywood Studios.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
wjyZBiw.gif

Alien Encounter was so damn good. As I said in my other post they changed it to Stitches great escape or whatever, but it looks like it wasn't even open anymore. Do they even still run it?

That shit would've been PERFECT for the Alien franchise at MGM/Hollywood Studios.

They JUST closed it for good like a week ago...although they should have done it long ago. Alien Encounter was brilliant though, with a fantastic pre-show (both of them!) and the super-immersive main attraction.

Last edited:

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.

Although it opened over 20 years ago, the original Tower of Terror remains Imagineering's greatest creation. Part of the genius of this attraction is the way the experience starts as soon as you step foot onto Sunset Blvd. As you start to walk along Sunset, you might notice several references to the "city's newest landmark" The Hollywood Tower Hotel.

cogrbyy.jpg

As you round the corner the actual Hollywood Tower Hotel comes into view. The giant hotel structure looms over everything, anchoring the entirety of Sunset Blvd. The way it's framed by the trees and surrounding buildings is a thing of beauty. As you approach it becomes clear that something terrible has happened to this once great Hotel.

27JxqVO.jpg

The queue for the ride takes you through the gardens, grounds, and hotel lobby. What was once beautiful is now overgrown, dilapidated, and filled with dust and cobwebs. The eerie 1930s jazz music really adds to the ominous mood.

6oE23WC.jpg

I'm not going to describe every part of the ride, but everything about this attraction is perfectly executed. The pre-show with Rod Sterling, the way the cast members play morbid bellhops, the fifth dimension sequence where your ride vehicle physically transports to the Twilight Zone, the random sequencing of the drops, the way the exterior building blends in with Epcot's Moroccan skyline. It's all perfect.

2Q2VCZZ.jpg

There are many Disney attractions that I love. But the original Twilight Zone Tower of Terror remains the best.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
The Test Track at Epcot
Care to explain? The queue kind of sucks besides building your own car. The themeing inside the ride with all the neon tron lights is also kind of lame and for the actual thrill portion of the ride.... It's fun but nowhere near the thrill level of Everest which has a much better queue, themeing and thrill factor. I like the ride.... But BEST Disney ride. Ehhh

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Care to explain? The queue kind of sucks besides building your own car. The themeing inside the ride with all the neon tron lights is also kind of lame and for the actual thrill portion of the ride.... It's fun but nowhere near the thrill level of Everest which has a much better queue, themeing and thrill factor. I like the ride.... But BEST Disney ride. Ehhh
I ride single rider so the line wait is non-existent for me.
i like Everest and Space Mountain and all the other rides but the speed of the Test Track always brings me back. I should also mention that Epcot is my favorite park.
also, this is an opinion thread.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
The Winnie the Pooh ride at Disney World is my favorite. :) I just love how trippy it is with the music and effects.

Never been on a rollercoaster before so I have no idea what those rides are like, lol. I'm more of a person who likes slow and relaxing rides -- even love Small World for its cute song and seeing all the countries.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Space Mountain in Disneyland, especially when they have the Star Wars version.

To be honest, I always saw the rides as the worst (but still good) aspect of the parks. The atmosphere, shops, and food were always better.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Space Mountain -Magic Kingdom, Disney World

As much as I love Toy Story Mania, Space Mountain just barely beats it.

kimbaka

Oct 27, 2017
Tower of Terror.

Honorable Mention: Spaceship Earth

Honorable RIP mentions to Dreamflight and Horizons.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
FYI, Stitch's great escape is NOT permanently closed....yet.

Let's just say plans have been pushed back for its replacement.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Avatar's The flight of passage at Animal Kingdom blew me away this past summer. I sat there waiting for the ride to start with no idea what I was in for. All of a sudden boom!! You really feel like you are flying through Pandora.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This ride is garbage and left me in physical pain afterward. They took the bone-rattling uncomfortableness of the Matterhorn and cranked it up to 11. It does look cool though.

I haven't been on the newer version--did they actually replace the track? That'd be the only thing that would make me consider riding it again

I dont remember if the ride was retracked during the maintenance but what they did was change the old vekoma cars and restrain system into the new gen vekoma ones. A lot of the bumping and hurting of that ride was because of the old restraints. Ive heard is much better now.

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
The haunted Mansion and pirates ride at Disneyland are always favorites, but if I have to pick one....

It'd have to be the Enchanted Tiki Room. I've been able to take my daughter at about 7, and years later my son at about 6. To see the magical look on their faces when those birds start singing... Man it brings tears to think about it. I remember the same wonder sitting there with my parents as a child. That kind of feeling is hard to top.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Yes, the whole ride was completely redone. New effects, new track, everything.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
The haunted Mansion and pirates ride at Disneyland are always favorites, but if I have to pick one....

It'd have to be the Enchanted Tiki Room. I've been able to take my daughter at about 7, and years later my son at about 6. To see the magical look on their faces when those birds start singing... Man it brings tears to think about it. I remember the same wonder sitting there with my parents as a child. That kind of feeling is hard to top.

My man!

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana Jones at Disneyland. Still to this day the greatest dark ride ever made. I fear the new Star Wars Land rides will try to emulate it, but with digital projections instead of detailed sets and practical effects.

Also with Star Wars Land, I hope they eventually kill Star Tours and use the current space + Innoventions for a new attraction.

FYI, Stitch's great escape is NOT permanently closed....yet.

Let's just say plans have been pushed back for its replacement.

It's dead. Seasonal operation is the kiss of death with Disney attractions. They're just trying to budget something to replace it. Wouldn't mind a revamped Alien Encounter.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.

Although it opened over 20 years ago, the original Tower of Terror remains Imagineering's greatest creation. Part of the genius of this attraction is the way the experience starts as soon as you step foot onto Sunset Blvd. As you start to walk along Sunset, you might notice several references to the "city's newest landmark" The Hollywood Tower Hotel.

cogrbyy.jpg

As you round the corner the actual Hollywood Tower Hotel comes into view. The giant hotel structure looms over everything, anchoring the entirety of Sunset Blvd. The way it's framed by the trees and surrounding buildings is a thing of beauty. As you approach it becomes clear that something terrible has happened to this once great Hotel.

27JxqVO.jpg

The queue for the ride takes you through the gardens, grounds, and hotel lobby. What was once beautiful is now overgrown, dilapidated, and filled with dust and cobwebs. The eerie 1930s jazz music really adds to the ominous mood.

6oE23WC.jpg

I'm not going to describe every part of the ride, but everything about this attraction is perfectly executed. The pre-show with Rod Sterling, the way the cast members play morbid bellhops, the fifth dimension sequence where your ride vehicle physically transports to the Twilight Zone, the random sequencing of the drops, the way the exterior building blends in with Epcot's Moroccan skyline. It's all perfect.

2Q2VCZZ.jpg

There are many Disney attractions that I love. But the original Twilight Zone Tower of Terror remains the best.

It will never be surpassed imo.
Everything about it just works.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Avatar's The flight of passage at Animal Kingdom blew me away this past summer. I sat there waiting for the ride to start with no idea what I was in for. All of a sudden boom!! You really feel like you are flying through Pandora.

I feel like everyone on that queue doesn't give one shit about Pandora, just going along because it's the new ride in town. Once they ride FoP it's completely different.

Harry Potter The Forbidden Journey was my favorite (overall) ride until I did FoP. That thing beat the stuffing out of any ride I'd been on. Disney really brought it with Pandora.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have only been to mgm, magic kingdom, epcot, and animal kingdom at WDW in orlando, once each. I know it was over spring break in 1996, because I wasn't able to watch WM12 on PPV (the stay in Orlando followed a cruise to St Maarten).

I would have been a few weeks older than 8, but the rides I remember fondly are:

Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Tower of Terror
Pirates of the Caribbean
Carousel of Progress

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and there was this awsome ride where you were in almost an Imax like experience, where the audience got to vote on different locations to visit. Arctic, volcanos, space, etc. That was cool, too.

OP
OP
Creation_Scapes
Oct 25, 2017
Great choices throughout the thread! I love pretty much all the choices that have been listed.

My choice (not sure about the new incredibles coaster they're replacing it with yet) but it would have to be

Screamin-in-California-Featured.jpg