• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Atelier Firis isn't out yet. I really enjoy Atelier's soundtracks and listen to them almost every day. Even without playing the game and knowing the context, the vibe really resonates.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn. Specifically, 0:35 in the track I listed above is probably the best melody/theme I've heard in any media form.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no.

Odyssey has like 2 or 3 AMAZING tracks, like a dozen decent tracks and then a group of tracks that fall in the category of "I don't even remember the rest."

Compared to other Mario games it's weak.

I mean the tracks that are amazing, really stand with the best Mario has to offer. The rest are still good. For me this soundtrack is on the same level as the one from Super Mario World, my all time favorite.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easy for me:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (my favorite OST of all time I think)
2. Nier: Automata
3. Persona 5

Shout out to Mario Odyssey and Horizon

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a clear front runner, I do however have a good 10 candidates and then some.

Despite my feelings on Nier Automata being lukewarm at best, its OST still might take it for me, guess I'm waiting on Xenoblade 2 to put in its submission for this category.
I'm undecided on how I rank Sonic Mania, like Generations it's mostly remixes but hot damn what a set of remixes.

I was underwhelmed by Mario Odyysey at first but some tracks have really grown on me.

Better Nioh music than Nioh.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Persona 5's is really good but I'm waiting to give Xenoblade's a listen (I've listened to the leaked tracks but that's a fraction of the full thing). Seems like it might be a contender.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
NieR Automata, by far.

Town and Astral themes from Night in the Woods were also great.

And that last boss theme from Dark Souls III - The Ringed City. This theme is so frakkin' good.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's Nier Automata and it's not even remotely close. I've already said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here, since I have pretty strong feelings about this debate. Perhaps too strong, but hey, we ARE on a video game forum. Being overly passionate about our useless hobby is the name of the game.

I was really looking forward to the Persona 5 soundtrack, given that Shoji Meguro is my favorite video game composer overall, but I found it to be disappointing outside of a few standouts (life will change, beneath the mask, rivers in the desert, price, the day when my mother was there(my personal fav), whims of fate, and freedom and security. That's it. I honestly can't think of any other tracks that stand out and Price isn't even that good. I just really like it for some reason. And don't get me started on that terrible song that plays in Mementos that you hear constantly.)

Automata on the other hand is amazing top to bottom. There are VERY few throwaway tracks and I'm honestly struggling to think of songs I dislike. Maybe the song that plays during the initial raid of the factory at the very beginning of the game? (and even then, the song becomes much better when the vocals kick in.)

Automata would probably be my overall favorite soundtrack ever if not for the original Nier. And that's saying something, because I've heard tons of amazing soundtracks over the years.

It might have already been posted but, I really like Copied City in particular:

And Wretched Weaponry is another fav of mine:

But there are many others that are just as good, if not better, than those two. Give em a listen if you have the time.

I really hope I didn't come off sounding too much like a fanboy. I'm just very passionate about music and this soundtrack means a lot to me.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is on the way and everything I heard so far is absolutely glorious. So probably that one.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
NieR Automata, Cuphead and Persona 5. Although Breath of the Wild had my favorite theme of the year with the night version of Hateno Village:

Goosebumps every time.

Sledge

Oct 28, 2017
I can't go past NieR:Automata. It excels at personifying many of the games locales in a way that hit home to me.

The 8 bit versions of many songs. The whole package just stands above the rest of 2017's crop.

That being said Persona 5 has some incredibly strong tracks littered amongst its OST.

Cuphead & Destiny 2 have also produced some pretty strong collections for their respective games.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
NieR Automata has an absolutely insane soundtrack, as many have mentioned, though I was a little disappointed by some of the remixes. I think I just like the tone of music in the first game a bit more, but it's still absolutely amazing.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild doesn't have the most prevalent soundtrack, but a few tracks are standouts. Hyrule Castle and Molduga (Phase 2/Vulnerable) and Rito Village (Day) are all amazing.

Finally, I think Life is Strange: Before the Storm has had its soundtrack overlooked, which is really sad because it's a great original soundtrack by Daughter, mixed in with a bunch of other singles by them and other artists. The music is amazingly fitting for the game and works so well for it.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Nier
2. Mario
3. Hollow Knight
4. Zelda

Xenoblade 2 could very easily take the top spot though as Xenoblade 1 has my favorite soundtrack ever.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both Zelda and Mario had some great tunes, but even still were perhaps a bit underwhelming when compared to other entries in the series. I didn't like Nier all that much as a game, but the soundtrack was absolutely brilliant and deserves all the praise it's getting. It's definitely my favourite for the year, although may be surpassed by Xenoblade when that comes out.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Automata is my number 1 of all time so far so it wins. It isn't just how great the soundtrack is, but how the game weaves the soundtrack throughout what you're doing. When it dynamically changes based on where you are, and how the songs incorporate what's happening in game into them (This Cannot Continue and Become As Gods), it's not just background music, it's part of the game itself.

I played 110 hours of Persona 5 and can't even recall any of the music outside of the "shapeshifter" song. Which is ultimately a huge bummer because P4 is my 4th fav ost of all time, after both NieRs and Xenoblade 1.

I'm so ready for Xenoblade 2. I've only heard a few tracks so far, and they were great. Waiting for the whole game to really give it a listen.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Automata is my number 1 of all time so far so it wins. It isn't just how great the soundtrack is, but how the game weaves the soundtrack throughout what you're doing. When it dynamically changes based on where you are, and how the songs incorporate what's happening in game into them (This Cannot Continue and Become As Gods), it's not just background music, it's part of the game itself.

Preach. A bunch of games have good OSTs, but the way Nier utilizes it throughout the game makes it an extremely easy choice this year. (Well, not just this year, it's flat-out one of the best OSTs ever)

And even I had the slightest doubt, Ending E's music just clears that last remaining shred of doubt anyhow.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
So far, breath of the wild is my Favourite track. I particularly enjoy the environmental/location music how it changes with day/night cycles the standout being Rito Village. There's some great character themes which vary with style according to how the world is developed with Revalis theme, Prince Sidon, Riju/Urbosa's theme. The soundtrack can also get fairly epic when it requires with Attack of each Divine Beast which subtly integrates the themes of the guardians within the music. The greatest use is the main theme which is primarily used in two instances. The beginning when you step out of the resurrection shrine viewing the scenery and when defeating Ganon at the end which helps give that great feeling of the vast Journey starting and coming to a close. If there's one thing I wish the game did include though, it's the music used in the trailer. It's too good to use just for promotional uses.

Second Favourite has been Gravity Rush 2. Gravity Rush Theme, Storm of Truimph, Hot Pursuit, Under Invasion feel incredible when battling and flying around within the world. Night Gale, Angel and Ability to control Half the World are great boss music particularly Angel as it's the kind of music I never kind of expected to happen and it fits so well within the first battle and even more so in the second boss when you get a completely unworldly scene.

Third favourite soundtrack is Horizon Zero Dawn and fourth being Nier: Automata.

Xenoblade 2 is shaping out to be incredible as well. One things for sure, this year has been great for soundtracks.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been blown away by game music this year, to be honest. I was expecting Super Mario Odyssey to be awesome but it ended up disappointing. Hollow Knight, Trails in the Sky the 3rd, Cuphead and Breath of the Wild had some good stuff but I'm not in love with them.

That said, what I've heard from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has been terrific so I'm hoping I'll finally be able to pick a 2017 soundtrack GOTY with conviction.

(I'm betting Hamauzu's The Alliance Alive will be terrific, as his music generally is but I don't want to judge it until I play the game next year.)

This reminds me, are we ever getting orchestrated tracks for Yooka? A number of world themes there are on the brink of quality, the snow theme in particular would get a huge boost without it's somewhat tinny horn samples.

They've had more than enough time to incorporate the orchestrated recordings into the game. That they haven't bothered yet just leaves me to believe that they're happy with the synth (maybe for the retro elements).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
imageedit_4_4735987775_by_biindfold-db2a6eh.gif

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jumping on the Nier train, I already loved both the previous game's soundtrack but this moment drove me to ugly sobbing, I never got this emotional with a single moment in a video game, and the track that accompanied this moment just sealed the deal for me, wonderful use of storytelling through music.
And on another note Yakuza 0 was a surprise, Persona 5 while great I feel like it could have been stronger.

It's Nier Automata and it's not even close.

Boom. This.

BOTW had some amazing atmospheric tracks though, with an excellent sub-boss theme. (Molduga - Transiition to second phase starts at 1:57)

Yakuza 0 was no slouch, either. I find this one bumping around in my head a LOT lately.

"You really are a monster, kid. You just keep getting stronger."

Honorable mention goes to the Beast Mode theme. It's a banger, ca-caw.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Before April, I would've predicted Persona 5 100%, but Nier Automata came along and Daaaaaaaaaamnn.

Nier takes it all the way home. It gave me Madoka Magica vibes in the best way at times, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Persona 5 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Both had outstanding soundtracks and they were very memorable for me. Persona 5 had so many moments where music really enhanced the overall experience to whole new level.

Vivian

Oct 26, 2017
England
Atelier Firis isn't out yet. I really enjoy Atelier's soundtracks and listen to them almost every day. Even without playing the game and knowing the context, the vibe really resonates.
Atelier Shallie Plus came out earlier this year, and I really love that game's soundtrack, but I don't feel that ports should be in the running for sountrack of the year :(

Candice DeBébé's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle

A one-man solo dev project that is a glorious train wreck and labor of love.

Candice was a 2016 game though. I went to the launch party last March :P

I'm still only early on in Nier: Automata and I'm planning on running through Xenoblade 2 as soon as it's out, but I'm fairly sure it's going to be one of those two for me. Persona 5's soundtrack just didn't grab me.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Currently feel pretty strongly about Persona 5 and Sonic Mania as my top 2. Mania has a ton of remixes so I'd feel a bit weird giving it number one, but the original stuff is strong as hell. I'm very indecisive about number three at this point. Nier wasn't super memorable to me outside of a few tracks like the city ruins and Simone boss fight (heresy, I know). Odyssey and BotW are both strong, but I took a significant peek at that Xenoblade 2 leak thread and it's...quite something. Could see that rounding out the soundtrack of the year ballot for me.