• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes, 44 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

FBI Asked Sony for Data on User Who Allegedly Used PlayStation Network to Sell Cocaine

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
In October, the FBI applied for a search warrant compelling Sony to provide data on a PlayStation 4 user who was allegedly part of a cocaine distribution network, according to court records reviewed by Motherboard. The application even asks for what games the alleged drug dealer played, and his progress in them.

The search warrant shows how law enforcement agencies are increasingly asking game console companies, and manufacturers of internet connected devices in the home in general, for data on users.
"The CHS [Confidential Human Source] stated ALEXANDER was currently charging $34,000 per kilogram of cocaine. The CHS stated ALEXANDER utilizes the PlayStation username 'Speedola20'," the application reads, referring to an unnamed informant for the FBI who helped investigate Alexander.

The CHS said Alexander contacted them through the PlayStation game "during game."

"The phase 'during game' is a reference to audio communication held during the CHS and ALEXANDER's participation in an online multi-player game," the application continues. "Investigators believe that ALEXANDER likely believes that audio communication during the course of his participation in an online game is secure. As such, ALEXANDER likely believes that he can use audio communication during game play on the PlayStation to arrange the details of a drug transaction."

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What's his ERA username?

But seriously, using PSN to sell drugs, never heard that one before. I hope they catch him and lock him up
Yall don't remember Live From Playstation with Ustream? Had a dude sell shit from his living room. Not people who were watching, but local folks. He just felt like streaming.

Now I could care less for that stuff BUT I MISS LIVE FROM PLAYSTATION SOOOO MUCH!

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yall don't remember Live From Playstation with Ustream? Had a dude sell shit from his living room. Not people who were watching, but local folks. He just felt like streaming.

Now I could care less for that stuff BUT I MISS LIVE FROM PLAYSTATION SOOOO MUCH!
It was always good for suddenly spotting a thumbnail and thinking to yourself "that looks like someone having sex"

Then you clicked on it. And it was.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Man those were the days. You’d see some wild ass shit on there.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I remember that Twitch eventually banned Playroom because people were using it as a workaround to stream non-gaming content.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

Live from Playstation was the absolute Wild West and I loved it

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've always thought that video game chats would be a good way to organize crime. There's no way developers are archiving stuff like team voice chats for long periods of time.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't this technically work tho? You
Hop on in game chat in like, CoD ghosts or something, no way any of that is being archived