• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
The FBI is investigating whether a top Russian banker with ties to the Kremlin illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to help Donald Trump win the presidency, two sources familiar with the matter have told McClatchy.

the NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections, including $30 million to support Trump – triple what the group devoted to backing Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. Most of that was money was spent by an arm of the NRA that is not required to disclose its donors.

http://amp.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article195231139.html

This source seems legit even though it's only one place running this.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mcclatchydc/

Last edited:

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really wish there was some type of law that would make it mandatory for donations to these campaigns to be sourced and made public.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So the entire right wing of this country is rotten? I mean they always were but they use to do it because it was American, not because they were puppets

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If there's actually a power struggle between the FBI and the NRA, I'm not sure the FBI would come out on top.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really wish there was some type of law that would make it mandatory for donations to these campaigns to be sourced and made public.

It boggles my mind that elections in the US are still so obscure and totally not transparent.
Not that people won't find ways of donating illegally wherever there are laws for transparency, but at least it provides society with something to act upon.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from another thread:
The alleged launderer is a dude named Torshin.

Torshin is the guy who desperately wanted to meet DJT at a NRA gathering and was 'coincidentally' seated next to Junior instead. Looks promising.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true then it's not an exaggeration to say that Citizens United is a national security liability

Nov 13, 2017
If this investigation somehow took out the NRA as well...

vQauJe7.gif

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there will be a statement made about this from the NRA via their fear mongering spokeswoman.

OP
OP

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from another thread:
The alleged launderer is a dude named Torshin.

Torshin is the guy who desperately wanted to meet DJT at a NRA gathering and was 'coincidentally' seated next to Junior instead. Looks promising.

Yeah lots of interesting stuff in that article. They mention that Kushner declined to meet him which is fishy.

Here is the NYT article that's somewhat related to this from Dec

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/03/us/politics/trump-putin-russia-nra-campaign.html

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...r-attend-the-nras_us_58ff539fe4b06c83622e7063
In December 8, 2015 — during the same week that former National Security Advisor Lt. Gen Michael T. Flynn (ret.) was paid to appear at Russia Today's 10th anniversary gala dinner in Moscow beside Vladimir Putin — the NRA took its relationship with Putin's government to the next level by sending a large delegation to Moscow to meet with the deputy prime minister in charge of Russia's defense industry, Dmitry Rogozin. The NRA delegation consisted of David Keene, Republican campaign operative and NRA Life Member Paul Erickson, NRA board member/gun manufacturer Pete Brownell, high-dollar NRA donor Joe Gregory, and radical right wing Milwaukee County, Wisconsin sheriff David A. Clarke. Joining Rogozin on the Russian side for the meetings was—predictably—Alexander Torshin.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Right sold out hard. In waiting on Putin to annex Alabama any day now.

LOL "what new dance moves are The Blacks doing these days?". Man, people don't know how to interact with us normally.
.. O_O

It's now just a popular move kids are doing all the time these days. A friend of mine who is a 4th grade teacher told me that it's some sort of meme / game thing now where you have to do that move to the other person before they react to "win" or something at recess time. It's all the rage now with her group.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The Russian money trail should be investigated no matter the destination - they're practically guaranteed to be circumventions of the Magnitsky Act and thus actionable. We had a thread about the fuckery surrounding Russian embassy payments, probably the tip of a dark money ice berg.

Of course, you'd need a US government interested in national security over Russian interests to actually do that.

Oct 26, 2017
The Russian money trail should be investigated no matter the destination - they're practically guaranteed to be circumventions of the Magnitsky Act and thus actionable. We had a thread about the fuckery surrounding Russian embassy payments, probably the tip of a dark money ice berg.

Of course, you'd need a US government interested in national security over Russian interests to actually do that.
I want to see where all funding came from, for everyone, every local elections down the road.

I dont care what party they are in, or who they are, if they took money from foreign entities, then prison and asset forfeiture should be there punishments.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually a firearm owner and god damn do I hate the NRA. I hope all this flushes them down the drain along with everyone else involved.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Russians are mostly caucasians and Putin hates Obama so NRA's move makes sense.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of a massive RICO case for the money laundering in the right wing is starting to sound more realistic everyday.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I want to see where all funding came from, for everyone, every local elections down the road.

I dont care what party they are in, or who they are, if they took money from foreign entities, then prison and asset forfeiture should be there punishments.

That's the only way to do it. More than likely the influence operation targeted campaigns across the political spectrum. In Western Europe the Russians tend to stay on the political fringes with their clandestine activities but in countries like Ukraine they've gone all out.

If your goal is to weaken a country, you don't care for ideology... Only chaos and leverage matter.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Note - this isn't the first time the NRA has been brought up in connection to Russia's actions during the election. There were articles like this one about offers to set up connections with the campaign.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It boggles my mind that elections in the US are still so obscure and totally not transparent.
Not that people won't find ways of donating illegally wherever there are laws for transparency, but at least it provides society with something to act upon.

It really is quite alarming. My state's governor got 4.5 million dollars from... nobody knows. It's all hidden behind non-profits. You have super PACs giving to non-profits to help hide it even more. Suddenly everything is getting contracted to out of state contractors without letting in state ones bid. Not at all suspicious!

Oct 25, 2017
NRA getting taken down would be like America winning the lottery. Amazing, but slim-as-hell chances. Still, I can dream.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
All Russia had to do to win the cold war was bribe our traitors? Even some of them are doing this willingly. Not that Russia is some always and forever threat, but our relationship should be one that swings both ways.

I can not understand how Republicans are now pro Russian. This country was nearly founded on the hate of ruskies...(not founded, but you get the point) this just boggles my mind. Our military is propped up on the ZOMG Russian threat.. so many decisions we do it the world are.

I wonder if Putin laughs at how easy it's been to destabilize the United states and get his wish of weakening nato/un. Or if it's been some huge detailed long con. Not just waving money at Americans.