• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It really is quite alarming. My state's governor got 4.5 million dollars from... nobody knows. It's all hidden behind non-profits. You have super PACs giving to non-profits to help hide it even more. Suddenly everything is getting contracted to out of state contractors without letting in state ones bid. Not at all suspicious!

The people profiting from this system are also stupid and short-sighted. You might enjoy a dark money system when it's just donations from your favorite special interest groups... but one day, you get a polite call informing you that they've compiled a press package about how a third of your campaign money came from the Solntsevskaya crime group and if you don't want it released, they have some legislation they want you to vote on.

Dark money has no place in a democracy.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
It really is quite alarming. My state's governor got 4.5 million dollars from... nobody knows. It's all hidden behind non-profits. You have super PACs giving to non-profits to help hide it even more. Suddenly everything is getting contracted to out of state contractors without letting in state ones bid. Not at all suspicious!

what state are you in cause i wonder a lot about rick scott

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really, really wish there was some type of law that would make it mandatory for donations to these campaigns to be sourced and made public.

And be possible by American citizens only. Not corporations or foreign entities. And also have a $5000 limit per individual. Imagine the playing field if we all played on a level field.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see the NRA go down from this, but it being potentially a part of this scares me. I'm already worried that Trump will try and send people to the streets to hurt others, and going after the NRA would give Trump and conservatives a cover to yell "They're coming after your guns!" and get a LOT of people hurt.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see the NRA go down from this, but it being potentially a part of this scares me. I'm already worried that Trump will try and send people to the streets to hurt others, and going after the NRA would give Trump and conservatives a cover to yell "They're coming after your guns!" and get a LOT of people hurt.

If the NRA leadership gets into any trouble, they will be calling for their lawyers - not a "militia" - to save them.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Russia funding the biggest domestic terrorist organization in the US, how terribly unsurprising.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
If the NRA leadership gets into any trouble, they will be calling for their lawyers - not a "militia" - to save them.

I'm not suggesting the NRA will call for anything. Trump might, but with the propaganda machines of Fox News, Brietbart, etc, all already radicalizing some conservatives and spouting disinformation, many of the crazies won't even need a direct call-to-arms to start hurting others.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the NRA take heat from this is exciting. I consider them a terrorist organization at this point.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Mueller's team is working with the Criminal Investigations (CI) unit of the FBI.

They're working from the Russian side, but you can bet we're going to find that a lot of money from the whole Russian oligarch/mob crime syndicate is going (at Putin's direction, of course) to people like your governor.

Resignations are going to intensify.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not suggesting the NRA will call for anything. Trump might, but with the propaganda machines of Fox News, Brietbart, etc, all already radicalizing some conservatives and spouting disinformation, many of the crazies won't even need a direct call-to-arms to start hurting others.

Trump already has - he mentioned his "2nd amendment people might be able to do something" about Hillary Clinton during the campaign. They responded by wearing T-shirts and saying into the camera "I'm deplorable!", and then later showing up to vote for him. But like the Las Vegas shooting or any shooting, it's always a possibility.

Oct 27, 2017
All Russia had to do to win the cold war was bribe our traitors? Even some of them are doing this willingly. Not that Russia is some always and forever threat, but our relationship should be one that swings both ways.

I can not understand how Republicans are now pro Russian. This country was nearly founded on the hate of ruskies...(not founded, but you get the point) this just boggles my mind. Our military is propped up on the ZOMG Russian threat.. so many decisions we do it the world are.

I wonder if Putin laughs at how easy it's been to destabilize the United states and get his wish of weakening nato/un. Or if it's been some huge detailed long con. Not just waving money at Americans.

They found America's weakness: money, money, money...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really, really wish there was some type of law that would make it mandatory for donations to these campaigns to be sourced and made public.
There was a proposed law, it was called the Democracy Is Strengthened by Casting Light On Spending in Elections Act, or DISCLOSE Act. Yeah, we're doing SHIELD now.
It passed the house but was killed in the senate when it failed to clear the filibuster. Let me list the people who voted against it.
No wait, let me short cut it, every single Republican voted against it outside Hutchison and Murkowski who did not vote. All Democrats supported it.

If this is true then it's not an exaggeration to say that Citizens United is a national security liability
Citizen United does not prohibit more transparency, the GOP just block any attempt to do so.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure this would take down the NRA. They're an independent organization separate from any government agency so you can't charge them with collusion. Is there any law that prohibits foreign rich people from donating to American organizations?

Unless the NRA worked with the trump campaign. Then they could be charged.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not so sure this would take down the NRA. They're an independent organization separate from any government agency so you can't charge them with collusion. Is there any law that prohibits foreign rich people from donating to American organizations?

If it's used for campaign purposes, yes.

And if a US citizen helps facilitate this they have also committed a crime.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's actually a power struggle between the FBI and the NRA, I'm not sure the FBI would come out on top.

Exactly what are you implying? That the NRA or its members are going to start shooting the FBI or something along those lines? I don't think that's going to work out very well for them in the end lets just say that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly what are you implying? That the NRA or its members are going to start shooting the FBI or something along those lines? I don't think that's going to work out very well for them in the end lets just say that.

How did you draw that conclusion? I'm pretty sure they meant legally since the NRA has a lot of money and people in their pockets.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is absolutely where GOP draws the line. If Mueller is actually investigating the NRA and its books, expect to hear a cacophony of screams from GOP to fire Mueller. NRA will tell the Republicans to shut it down or face defeat.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
I sincerely hope there's a special place in hell for the people who seek to profit off their manufactured misfortune of others.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
All Russia had to do to win the cold war was bribe our traitors? Even some of them are doing this willingly. Not that Russia is some always and forever threat, but our relationship should be one that swings both ways.

I can not understand how Republicans are now pro Russian. This country was nearly founded on the hate of ruskies...(not founded, but you get the point) this just boggles my mind. Our military is propped up on the ZOMG Russian threat.. so many decisions we do it the world are.

I wonder if Putin laughs at how easy it's been to destabilize the United states and get his wish of weakening nato/un. Or if it's been some huge detailed long con. Not just waving money at Americans.

The hate for the USSR was more about the hate of communism.

Now that Russia is anything but Communist the American right and Russia have a lot in common(oligarchy).

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
How did you draw that conclusion? I'm pretty sure they meant legally since the NRA has a lot of money and people in their pockets.
True, but the NRA is losing ground. Last I heard they currently have around 5 million members, which is down from the 90's and 00's. (Especially when you consider they are in the neighborhood of 100 million guns owners in the US). I know plenty of fellow gun owners who think the NRA has gone to shit and it just a tool of the current head, Wayne LaPeirre, to extort money out of a shrinking base using fearmongering. (which is the GOP's playbook as well, so it makes sense they take money from the same people.)

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It wouldn't have been possible without the widespread availability of the Internet and social media. It all comes together to make the nation completely transparent so traitorous or dissenting factions can be easily identified and communicated with.

It's easy to see how Republicans are pro-Russian now, because Republicans are pro-white men. Russia is the embodiment if their social ideals where white men are in control and minorities, women, and gays are kept in check. None of these people actually give a shit about American values or freedom or democracy or any of that. They just want to feel like they are in charge.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Missouri. Mr. Never Did Anything Disreputable Oops Just Got Caught Greitens.

The Show-Everyone-My-Nude-Photo-Of-You State. I still can't believe the NRA endorsed Koster when they had a turd like Greitens to scoop up. What business does the NRA have sending a crew to meet with a Russian deputy prime minister anyway? This shit is just weird.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Increasinglynervousman.jpg

I am sure the NRA will get a stern slap on the wrist and a finger waggle.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this investigation somehow took out the NRA as well...

vQauJe7.gif

This is actually getting too big, I'm expecting Mueller to have an "accident" eventually.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely where GOP draws the line. If Mueller is actually investigating the NRA and its books, expect to hear a cacophony of screams from GOP to fire Mueller. NRA will tell the Republicans to shut it down or face defeat.
I find your predictions believable, but its worth noting this about the FBI and not the special prosecutor.

For all we know Mueller was already working on this.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder that the NRA was one of the first groups to run ads for Trump. Not saying that necessarily means anything, but if this ends up being true...

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What? No.

I was implying that the FBI cannot compete with the NRA in terms of political power, support and monetary means.

Put another way, if the FBI actually tries to seriously go after the NRA, expect a bunch of high profile personnel changes and budget cuts for the bureau.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The NRA has been on the decline, and gun owners are increasingly not members. Let them fall having served their shitty fucking masters.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
From the article it doesn't seem like this investigation is related to Mueller. Perhaps information is being exchanged, but the wording makes it sound like this is being done by the FBI proper and not the special counsel.

Oct 25, 2017
The FBI is doing this without guidance by Special Counsel. Though Special Counsel does share and verify what they find with the agency.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
They're probably separating the infiltration / financial compromising of the NRA (which falls squarely under the FBI's counter-espionage remit and priorsites disruption over persecution) from harnessing that leverage to influence the election (which is in Mueller's wheelhouse and by all accounts he favors a meticulous legal case over quick results.)