• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should RNG levels ups go?

• I'm an atheist so RNGesus and can kiss my arse

Votes: 148 27.4%
  • I pray to RNGesus everyday and I love it.

Votes: 392 72.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should probably also remove classes and weapons and just stats in general.

12-magnetic-travel-chess-set-in-black-and-boxwood-1961471016998_grande.jpg

Ahhh, here we go. Much better.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's OK with me that different people have different experiences in terms of who their "best" units are. There are also copious stat boost items if you really want a certain unit to be better. I view randomized stat gains as flavor more than anything else.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only tricky part of three houses is that the game determines any stat gains at the beginning of the battle so you can't divine pulse scum to manipulate the RNG. But yeah if you think this game is bad with stat gains don't play any of the other pre awakening FE's cause they're truly more unforgiving

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
You should check out some 0% growth playthroughs (or even crazier, Negative Growths) of other Fire Emblem games and realize the games give you a lot of tools to work with.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm split on it but I guess I don't mind since it isn't really going to make a big difference to a unit if they get bad or good rolls. Maybe it matters more on harder difficulties but it's not going to make a unit completely useless if they get unlucky.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I don't understand this whole "it adds replay value and it makes the game fun" idea. Even with bad level up, I've never actually had it change any of my decisions, but that's just me. I just find the RNG annoying.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
You don't want fix level ups.

It's boring.

Side note. Path of Radiance had a fix mode for levels. It was meh.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It makes it way more interesting than prescribed levels for each character. What are you smoking? If they had set stats it would mean character are trapped in their classes, or else entirely useless. How is that better?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best parts of the series. Not only does it make level ups exciting, it causes you to use other characters you might not.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
That's one of the things I'd love to see be an option/switch like perma death.
Same with the ability to grind.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Classes have base stats

If your units base stats are lower than a class's base stats, then a unit's stats will rise to match it when you promote to said class

Coupled the frankly ludicrous amount of experience gained in this game, it's almost impossible for a unit to turn out "unusuably bad" and it's far more likely you end up with a bunch of high stat juggernauts that trash enemies for free

So don't focus on stats too much. Work on raising your skill levels and obtaining higher tier classes

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
It's really not that big of a deal, dude. The game's not that hard, especially on Normal. If you're soft resetting when you have a bad level up, you're stressing way too hard about it.

It's impossible to get so screwed by RNG in this game that the game becomes significantly more difficult.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this whole "it adds replay value and it makes the game fun" idea. Even with bad level up, I've never actually had it change any of my decisions, but that's just me. I just find the RNG annoying.
Whether a character can double or not can force you to employ a different strategy from playthrough to playthrough.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
That's what Divine Pulse is for. If a character has a truly terrible level up, rewind, and don't let them do anything else rest of the battle. Too bad I figured this out too late for some characters. Seriously due to combination of speed/magic, and more HP, Marianne is my best mage on GD. Over Lysithea

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible opinion.

RNG level ups are a basic fundamental of the series.

They already toom away permadeath only. Let us keep our rng level ups so that we can gloat when our shitty characters get blessed to become Gods. Or when our great characters get cursed, e.g Hilda.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
One thing in my short time with 3 houses I've really liked is how you can make your units do just about anything you want them to do. Between seminars and the ability to equip any item set on a unit you can mix and match your units up to optimize there best stats; for instance my Dorothea was just not getting any STR at all no matter what I did so as soon as I could I made her a mage and now she's hitting for huge amounts with a great crit rate.

And as others have said characters have set growth rates that should show you what units are gonna be killer and which might struggle to get the optimum stats for what you want them to do.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no!
Yeah, I'm dissapointed when one of my characters has a bad level up, but its part of the fun, otherwise, you would use the same characters always - the chance that the game may force you to use a character you didn't expect since the one you were using fall behinds add to the level of strategy.

My Ignatz was screwed over in my GD run - he can't even kill a damn archer by himself - but I've read other people that managed to make him a murder machine. Will I drop the game for that? No! I'm just benching him and using alternatives.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Path of Radiance actually had an alternate level up system you could use on replays that wasn't random but nudged things based on the types of enemies you fought like Pokemon does.

I think the main reason is to prevent the game from being vulnerable to being "solved" in the sense of "if I make sure to get this character to this level by this battle, I'm guaranteed to be able to double attack this enemy".

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The base level changes just saved my ass. I really wanted Bernadetta to git gud, but her STR was shitting the bed hard. At level 20 she only had 11 strength, meaning she could barely poke anything. Yesterday, got her to Sniper and was shocked when the stat bonus jumped up +7, now she can ruin people. I love it.

But yeah... I like it as is. Set stats would get boring quickly.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing in my short time with 3 houses I've really liked is how you can make your units do just about anything you want them to do. Between seminars and the ability to equip any item set on a unit you can mix and match your units up to optimize there best stats; for instance my Dorothea was just not getting any STR at all no matter what I did so as soon as I could I made her a mage and now she's hitting for huge amounts with a great crit rate.

And as others have said characters have set growth rates that should show you what units are gonna be killer and which might struggle to get the optimum stats for what you want them to do.

You know Dorothea is "supposed" to be a mage right ?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You know Dorothea is "supposed" to be a mage right ?
No I don't look at the growth charts personally because I like to see how characters end up. Just using an example of Dorothea and what I did with her to take advantage of the stats she did have, obviously she shouldn't be a unit that requires str since her growths are bad and this is something the Op needs to understand.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I've always liked the random stat gains. Statistically, you're never going to be completely screwed, but on any given playthrough, there can easily be a few outlier characters for better or worse, and I think that possibility adds a lot to the game. It makes playthroughs more individual and interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I complained about RNG in a bunch of the other FE games, but Three Houses has already "solved" getting screwed by random gains. I don't think the game is overall easier than most FE games, but it is way harder to get screwed over for dumb reasons.

1. The stat minimums for classes basically floor the RNG, in aggregate, so it is impossible to be totally screwed.
  2. Weapon specialty, classes, and skills/abilities contribute massively to your overall output, so even a benched character can get giant stat boosts that are independent while not gaining experience.
  3. Batallions are essentially equipment that boost your stats, so you cover your weaknesses and poor stat gain better.
  4. Character quality is flatter than usual, so you don't just fuck your save file for not looking up what characters are good online.
  5. There are fewer archetype traps, if any. No more getting punished for using a pre-promote because you weren't familiar with series tradition.
  6. Class freedom let's you basically respec into classes that match whatever types of level-ups you got.
  7. A bunch of utility battalions are basically stat independent, so anyone can contribute to the party.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Lunatic (or whatever the hardest dificulty is) is probably going to have fixed level ups anyways

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The RNG elements are what makes Fire Emblem gameplay... Fire Emblem gameplay. They're what allow the games to be infinitely replayable, what cause each run's units and situations to be singularly unique, what give people stories to tell about a given playthrough.

Simply put, if you want that removed, you probably aren't much of a fan of the series. RNG is its core, as much as the grid the battles take place on.

Now, I don't disagree that they could/should have an optional mode that fixes level-ups. That existed in PoR, and it wouldn't be a bad thing if it returned. But only as an option -- to say that "RNG level-ups need to go" is... uh, naw, disagree.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
You really don't have to reset over stats. One particular level up might look bad to you, but over time, it will average out to something reasonable. Having an extra stat point or two really doesn't matter, just roll with it and have fun.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
You're thinking about it way too hard. I've never paid attention to this stuff and it never really matters. Maybe on like, lunatic difficulties, but in Three Houses specifically, everyone evens out. Growth rates are growth rates. I think Three Houses handles this stuff better than any game, in terms of keeping you from getting a totally RNG screwed team.

PoR had the fixed level ups mode. They could bring that back, but I dunno, there's so many ways around it nowadays.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Random stat gains on level up is one of the reasons I quit a recent Xenogears playthrough. It's such a dumb mechanic.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random stat gains on level up is one of the reasons I quit a recent Xenogears playthrough. It's such a dumb mechanic.
It gives the game a lot of replayibility as characters wont always be the same, and forces you to use different strategies for different playthroughs. It also makes sure that everyone goes through the game differently, which I find to be a neat and endearing thing.

I think there should be an option for a non random route, but it's not a bad game mechanic at all.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It's one of the aspects from FE that I really really love! It makes playthroughs a bit different everytime making me use different characters sometimes, or reclassing a character to a different class.
In the last few games it hasnt been too bad though, especially in 3H, I don't think any of my characters are useless, even the ones with the worst growth.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I like the RNG stats, for the most part. means there can be some heterogeneity with a given character's build between runs, people can have different experiences of different characters, makes level-ups way more exciting, and the game is far and away easy enough that none of it really matters

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'd love for there to be a random new party member who joins your party that this happens to as the game progresses and everybody in the game complains to the player character about being so crap at combat and no one wants to be around them since they're a death trap and so unlucky with everything in life. And that party member turns out to be attempting to sabotage the party from the inside on purpose, working for the enemy. Hahaha.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Hell no!
Yeah, I'm dissapointed when one of my characters has a bad level up, but its part of the fun, otherwise, you would use the same characters always - the chance that the game may force you to use a character you didn't expect since the one you were using fall behinds add to the level of strategy.

My Ignatz was screwed over in my GD run - he can't even kill a damn archer by himself - but I've read other people that managed to make him a murder machine. Will I drop the game for that? No! I'm just benching him and using alternatives.
I still use the same characters because I like them more. No amount of RNG will get that to change.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I've a always disliked it and yet I never want it to change. It makes it more interesting for me. Even if in the long run everything can be upgraded with items or basically rounds out in the end, seeing my Petra gain SPD ups three levels in a row gives me life.