• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So after that rocky launch in which I decided to wait for a month until TC figured out the servers for Gears 5, I decided to play the campaign instead.

The missions have been entertaining so far, but when I reached the point in which you must use a glider or some sort of vehicle and navigate through an entire world map, that's when i pretty much force quitted the game and decided I'm not playing that shit anymore.

I'm not saying the game is bad or anything like that, but I enjoyed the linear campaigns, having an entire open world section makes me think I'm missing collectibles, upgrades or whatever stuff I don't remember caring about in the previous Gears of War games.

So yeah, I'm not finishing that campaign and I'm glad I downloaded the game off Game Pass, was in the dark completely about it and I'm not angry at losing several hours in the campaign or waiting for a multiplayer game to load, it's just that when the open world section opened, I was like "fuck that" almost immediately.

Last game I played that I didn't hate with open world was Spider-Man, but it had more to do with the fun of traversing the entire map, didn't care about collectibles and just finished the story.

Feel free to joke away at my expense, but to the ones still reading this, is there any game that you lost interest almost immediately after it went open world? I know I hated The Evil Within 2 because of it and I have no intention to ever finish it because of this.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
You can ignore those you know. Compared to Spiderman the open world in Gears is pretty barren and tame. In TEW2 i did most of them because they were fun and I honestly liked it more the the 1st game (1st one was way scarier though)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying the game is bad or anything like that, but I enjoyed the linear campaigns, having an entire open world section makes me think I'm missing collectibles, upgrades or whatever stuff I don't remember caring about in the previous Gears of War games.

So yeah, I'm not finishing that campaign and I'm glad I downloaded the game off Game Pass, was in the dark completely about it and I'm not angry at losing several hours in the campaign or waiting for a multiplayer game to load, it's just that when the open world section opened, I was like "fuck that" almost immediately.

Didn't the devs say they designed these worlds so if you don't want to mess around you can just go to point A --> B?

OP I don't think you'll miss that much importance wise tbh. You'll miss (I would guess) some upgrades for Jack, and some collectibles. And as a Gears player you know that those things aren't that important, Jack upgrades would probably help on a higher difficulty setting tho. The collectibles just expand the lore of the game.

It just seems like they designed the open sections with gamers like you in mind, players who don't want to mess around and want to keep going from action to action.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
this is definitely a reaction i've seen before. I don't really understand it. I can't really speak to gears 5 because i haven't played it yet. I believe that you're being sincere about it though.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I haven't felt it playing or feeling any thing different than previous games. Especially from a collectible standpoint. If I see one, great, but otherwise I keep going from point A to point B. Sounds like you gave up and made a decision before you even really tried it. It's barely even a big open world.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is great but yeah, I'm not sure they needed those sections in.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Even if there's "nothing for me to fear (lol)" or that I can go from point a-to-b, I just can't help but thinking I'm playing this shit wrong or YOU MUST GO 100% ON THIS YOU IDIOT, but it's more of a problem I have with myself rather than the game being bad.

I just know that I sold God of War PS4 as soon as I finished the damn thing, because I know I missed a lot of stuff on the map and never wanted to go through the "oh shit I'm sure I missed important upgrades and collectibles" ever again.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The open world segment is really just a small hub with little optional combat encounters. Talk about overreaction.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
They're not open world sections, it's just a small hub map. You can still literally go from A to B. Those sections were my favourite. Binning a game just because it gave you choice is a weird reaction.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
OP, I despise open-world invading linear series as well. I still consider Arkham Asylum the best of the trilogy because there's no useless open-world (seriously, in the Batman games, the open world is just a glorified mission selector. It sucks and it's dumb.) though that one segment you're talking about is all that is, one segment. It's 100% optional and that's the most "open-world" that game ever gets. It was almost more of the developers having a little fun than anything. If you enjoy linear campaigns then I highly recommend to continue Gears 5.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I got so burned with BotW as my first open-world game that I pretty much avoid any game that has one now, and I have no interest in future 3D games in that series because of it. My issue with open-worlds isn't missing collectibles though, I don't like them because of all the empty space between stuff to do, I just find exploring open areas boring and it feels like I'm wasting time that could be better spent playing a linear, more focused game instead.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I am not opposed to open world games. Heck. the game I was playing before Gears 5 was Kingdom Come Deliverance. And I love that game, I have probably put like 20-30 hrs into that. Good Open World games are great. Bad ones.... are bad.

Act 1 of Gears is superb, absolutely loved it. Then Act 2 rolls around and yeah, just made me want to stop playing. It just felt so pointless. I kept asking myself "why"? The open world just didn't give me any incentive to explore or give a shit about it. It was basically me just driving from A to B. It felt like a chore, like I had to clean my room before I could play with my Toys. Its like they went back in time 25 years and thought, lets make an open world game like that. So utterly pointless. I struggled my way through Act 2 then got to Act 3 and noticed they wanted me to do the same thing but this time in a desert. Fuck that. Immediately Uninstalled it. I may finish it one day, but it won't be anytime soon.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I recently beat God of War. The lake is a really cool idea progression-wise, but fucking around with that little boat all the time made it so tedious, and made the open world aspect of the game really annoying. I kinda hope this trend of putting open world elements in originally linear games dies off...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So after that rocky launch in which I decided to wait for a month until TC figured out the servers for Gears 5, I decided to play the campaign instead.

The missions have been entertaining so far, but when I reached the point in which you must use a glider or some sort of vehicle and navigate through an entire world map, that's when i pretty much force quitted the game and decided I'm not playing that shit anymore.

Last game I played that I didn't hate with open world was Spider-Man, but it had more to do with the fun of traversing the entire map, didn't care about collectibles and just finished the story.

Feel free to joke away at my expense, but to the ones still reading this, is there any game that you lost interest almost immediately after it went open world? I know I hated The Evil Within 2 because of it and I have no intention to ever finish it because of this.

I would go back to it OP.
In the Frozen land you get to a computer where you can scan to see all side quests.In the other area you can find them pretty easily with a map.
The open world stuff in Gears 5 is more fluff in-between the missions you like. The game is well worth playing and i'm saying this as someone who hates open world game design more than most.

Everywhere in gears you can actually stop to do something in is clearly marked and it's a whopping 5 side things to do per map.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully for me the last real open world I played was probably Spider-Man so by the time I hit Gears again it didn't bother me. The game's shooting, story, graphics and well everything else is all I need but I can see why some don't like the open world portions.

Honestly, the open world is great for banter. I love the squad chemistry.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I'm struggling to get into spiderman (just started it a week ago) as it just feels SO open world formulaic. I've just been asked to go find random cats around the city... I mean, wtf, that and backpack hunting - dull dull dull.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The open world segment is really just a small hub with little optional combat encounters. Talk about overreaction.
I'm aware I'm overreacting, but I can't help but feel an instant repulsion to open world stuff, wanted to learn if someone else felt this way, instead of saying "is anyone else.." kind of question.

They're not open world sections, it's just a small hub map. You can still literally go from A to B. Those sections were my favourite. Binning a game just because it gave you choice is a weird reaction.
I don't see anything wrong or weird about playing something I don't find fun at all. If anything, I got the Ultimate Game Pass to play DMC5, which I adore, and felt like testing Gears 5 for the multiplayer mode mainly. After all, it's only $2.
TEW2 is not open world, it's hub based with open areas. Gears 5 is most definitely not open world too.
Well, now I know I don't like "hub based with open areas" games. That seemed "open world" to me.

I'm struggling to get into spiderman (just started it a week ago) as it just feels SO open world formulaic. I've just been asked to go find random cats around the city... I mean, wtf, that and backpack hunting - dull dull dull.
Oh yeah, those sidequests weren't fun at all for me, I just blasted through the story and would have used a fast travel option if swinging through the city wasn't that fun. Enjoyed the story and the gameplay though!

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I didn't have any problems with the open world part being there but it didn't really add a lot to the experience either. There's not really enough interesting supplemental content to scratch that exploration itch.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I know I don't like "hub based with open areas" games. That seemed "open world" to me.

I mean, there's absolutely no problem in you don't liking it, but open world for me is stuff more like BOTW, AC: Odyssey, Horizon and etc. Gears 5 and TEW2 have either a) large areas with little stuff or b) small areas with a lot of stuff

sorry if i sounded rude or anything like that

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
A month? Its been out 1 week.
Shit, I meant I would rather wait a month to see if the server issues were gone, I spent a whole night trying to connect to a match on launch day to no avail, that's when I started the campaign, sorry if it sounded confusing. Ever since I started this thread I have only been able to join a match. :/ I really like the gameplay and the multiplayer, but getting into matches is so tedious.

I mean, there's absolutely no problem in you don't liking it, but open world for me is stuff more like BOTW, AC: Odyssey, Horizon and etc. Gears 5 and TEW2 have either a) large areas with little stuff or b) small areas with a lot of stuff

sorry if i sounded rude or anything like that
It's cool, you weren't, it's just that I liked the first one a lot better because of how linear it was. My post looked a bit "reactionary" now that I read it again, apologies.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong or weird about playing something I don't find fun at all. If anything, I got the Ultimate Game Pass to play DMC5, which I adore, and felt like testing Gears 5 for the multiplayer mode mainly. After all, it's only $2
You didn't play it so how do you know you don't find it fun?

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I haven't reached that part yet but it doesn't sound too bad.

I can enjoy some small open worlds, its the huge AC style 700 question marks on map that I hate

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I got so burned with BotW as my first open-world game that I pretty much avoid any game that has one now, and I have no interest in future 3D games in that series because of it. My issue with open-worlds isn't missing collectibles though, I don't like them because of all the empty space between stuff to do, I just find exploring open areas boring and it feels like I'm wasting time that could be better spent playing a linear, more focused game instead.
Yeah, my last Zelda (and Nintendo game) was Windwaker back in 2002, I guess? And that's because I got tired of traveling through the entire map, then doing it again at the last part or something like that. Decided since then that wasn't my thing at all and never knew if the latter TLoZ games were like that, but thanks for warning me, lol.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't play it so how do you know you don't find it fun?
Played the beta test and liked the game enough to pre-download Gears 5. I meant the campaign open world stuff, that's when I decided to stop playing that mode and see if the server stuff gets better on the coming weeks or months.

Here's the thing, I DON'T HATE THE GEARS 5 GAMEPLAY. I'm just not down with the campaign map thing and waiting very long to join a match and ending up being kicked.

The game is good, I'm having fun playing it against other people. We cool?

Here are some receipts in case someone else has that same question.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

The very same happened with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for me. I forced myself to try it again, but after driving aimlessly around for few minutes I quitted, and to this day I haven't returned to it. Such a shame a good old linear franchise had to be turned towards the open world fad, eventhough there's already a surplus of them in the AAA space. Unfortunately, I think the situation will only get worse next gen, and those of us who crave for old school gaming experiences will have to bid farewell to big western games, and turn to indies and Japanese games.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You really should play it for more than 5 seconds. The 'open world' of Gears is basically just a hub with like 5-6 locations, there's nothing you're going to miss. You could spend literally sub 30 minutes in the 'world' in the entire game and still hit every location.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The very same happened with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy for me. I forced myself to try it again, but after driving aimlessly around for few minutes I quitted, and to this day I haven't returned to it. Such a shame a good old linear franchise had to be turned towards the open world fad, eventhough there's already a surplus of them in the AAA space. Unfortunately, I think the situation will only get worse next gen, and those of us who crave for old school gaming experiences will have to bid farewell to big western games, and turn to indies and Japanese games.
Same here! My least favourite sections of Uncharted 4 were the jeep parts and I was very much enjoying Nadine and Chloe chemistry...until those damn jeep sections came up again. Still haven't beat it for that same reason, lol.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Same here! My least favourite sections of Uncharted 4 were the jeep parts and I was very much enjoying Nadine and Chloe chemistry...until those damn jeep sections came up again. Still haven't beat it for that same reason, lol.

Yeah, that was my least favorite part in Uncharted 4 as well. I powered it through as it wasn't that large area, but it was a chore to search all nooks and corners of it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

The Gears 5 open map sequences are most similar to the Uncharted 4 and LL ones, I'd say. Big empty (pointless) spaces with hand-crafted points of interest dropped in here and there. I love open world stuff but I find this approach to it to be really half-assed.

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished Act 2. My only objection with it thus far is really that Player 2 doesn't have much to do on that little scope thing. Maybe if they bring it back later it'll be useful for something.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just go straight to the waypoints - traversal takes about a minute each time (we're not talking 5 mile horseback waypoints, here).

But if you quit because you're worried about missing collectibles, let me tell you you're probably missing far more of them in the linear sections!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You can easily skip it all but that still doesn't change the fact that the developers dedicated time/resources to this content that could have been spent on more linear "classic" levels.

Gears 5 is basically the most predictable first attempt at "wide linear" level design possible so it's not going to win or change anyone's mind on it. If you asked me prior to release how I expected those sections to play out in the game I would have guessed pretty much everything. It's all quite contrived and formulaic to the point where it feels like a checklist collectathon.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So far I'm with you. However this didnt seem to be a problem when god of war went open world.

The bigger issue is that stupid, difficult to maneuver, skiff thing. Just give us a car or something that handles normally. Vehicle sections always suck in games. Always, there's never been an exception. You always tolerate the vehicle sections, they are NEVER actually good though.

That said I'm still enjoying the game and it doesn't seem a "problem" so far. I'll get through it, basically.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Yeah, my last Zelda (and Nintendo game) was Windwaker back in 2002, I guess? And that's because I got tired of traveling through the entire map, then doing it again at the last part or something like that. Decided since then that wasn't my thing at all and never knew if the latter TLoZ games were like that, but thanks for warning me, lol.

Well, Wind Waker is my second-least favorite Zelda because of the big map lol. Twilight Princess was a bit better in that regard, and Skyward Sword was actually linear as hell and pretty much laser-focused on the main quest and doing dungeons almost back-to-back, which makes it my favorite Zelda by far (and my favorite game of all time), even though everyone hated it because of that =P

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
After 20 hours of playing and enjoying AC odyssey i definitely had this feeling, uninstalled and not looking back.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'm aware I'm overreacting, but I can't help but feel an instant repulsion to open world stuff, wanted to learn if someone else felt this way, instead of saying "is anyone else.." kind of question.
So you're totally against this open world game because you feel you're missing out on collectibles, even though the open world really has none to speak of...but you're ok with it in another game that's stuffed fucking full of collectibles?

What do you want people to say? It doesn't make any sense.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
I recommend OP go back and give it a try, I am not a big fan of open world either though I don't hate it.But I think Gears 5 handles this part pretty well, it's more like a mini open world without all those tedious , like some said above, you can choose to continue the main story immediately, even those side missions are just a small location with a well designed encounter.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Years of bad open worlds have trained us to react like this, but the ones in Gears 5 are really tame. Act 2 has just a handful (3 or 4?) of entirely optional locations that get you some upgrades for Jack and the collectibles are meaningless in gameplay. You can use chapter select to go back at any time so there is no true "point of no return." It's pretty flexible.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Wind Waker is my second-least favorite Zelda because of the big map lol. Twilight Princess was a bit better in that regard, and Skyward Sword was actually linear as hell and pretty much laser-focused on the main quest and doing dungeons almost back-to-back, which makes it my favorite Zelda by far (and my favorite game of all time), even though everyone hated it because of that =P
Guess I'm undusting my Wii and looking for a $300 USD used copy on eBay then, lol. I'm interested now.

So you're totally against this open world game because you feel you're missing out on collectibles, even though the open world really has none to speak of...but you're ok with it in another game that's stuffed fucking full of collectibles?

What do you want people to say? It doesn't make any sense.
Guess I'm just done "stomaching through" those kind of sections in games. In God of War I just decided to go through the open world traveling thing because the gameplay and story was worth it. In Gears 5 I can get that amazing gameplay on the multiplayer mode without enduring the campaign.

I just threw a question, I'm not trying to get myself convinced or anything, wanted to learn other people's opinions on their own experiences. For example, now I know I should give Skyward Sword a try, based on the opinion of a previous poster in this thread, which was something I wasn't expecting.

Not everything is a fucking fight or arguing in here, goddammit.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well.. traveling to the next linear point is like.. 30sec to 1 min max

It is not really open world - more of a mission selector without loading points

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Spiderman is pretty terrible open world btw, the main reason you liked it was because the webslinging allowed you to bypass most of it.

Like it or not but "open world" is a natural progression to how developers want to use the increasing processing power they have now. Being lost and immersed in a massive fully realised world is a pretty common dream that we all had when we first started gaming as children. I can understand not liking it infiltrating linear games but as a stand alone genre it's the one that has the most potential and ceiling for incredible experiences.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, is it actually "open world"? People attribute that term to those sections, but it's no different than the wide areas in Halo CE.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely no reason for a Gears of War game to ever have anything resembling an open world. It makes no sense.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Also, is it actually "open world"? People attribute that term to those sections, but it's no different than the wide areas in Halo CE.

The levels in Halo are more like sandboxes and battlefields. In Gears it's just a bunch of marked locations/missions scattered over a barren map that to you can't really traverse on foot.