• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after that rocky launch in which I decided to wait for a month until TC figured out the servers for Gears 5, I decided to play the campaign instead.

The missions have been entertaining so far, but when I reached the point in which you must use a glider or some sort of vehicle and navigate through an entire world map, that's when i pretty much force quitted the game and decided I'm not playing that shit anymore.

I'm not saying the game is bad or anything like that, but I enjoyed the linear campaigns, having an entire open world section makes me think I'm missing collectibles, upgrades or whatever stuff I don't remember caring about in the previous Gears of War games.

So yeah, I'm not finishing that campaign and I'm glad I downloaded the game off Game Pass, was in the dark completely about it and I'm not angry at losing several hours in the campaign or waiting for a multiplayer game to load, it's just that when the open world section opened, I was like "fuck that" almost immediately.

Last game I played that I didn't hate with open world was Spider-Man, but it had more to do with the fun of traversing the entire map, didn't care about collectibles and just finished the story.

Feel free to joke away at my expense, but to the ones still reading this, is there any game that you lost interest almost immediately after it went open world? I know I hated The Evil Within 2 because of it and I have no intention to ever finish it because of this.
But it's not forced and is very small, just glide to the target - forget the optional way points

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Also, is it actually "open world"? People attribute that term to those sections, but it's no different than the wide areas in Halo CE.

And other Gears games have driving sections. The only real difference is that there is a handful of optional content. Not sure how that can be viewed negatively, particularly given the speed of the skiff allows you to cover the world quickly.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman is pretty terrible open world btw, the main reason you liked it was because the webslinging allowed you to bypass most of it.

Like it or not but "open world" is a natural progression to how developers want to use the increasing processing power they have now. Being lost and immersed in a massive fully realised world is a pretty common dream that we all had when we first started gaming as children. I can understand not liking it infiltrating linear games but as a stand alone genre it's the one that has the most potential and ceiling for incredible experiences.
Maybe that's why I liked it, I have a history of liking games that the true fans don't like, like Splinter Cell: Conviction, that I remember it got blasted for not being true stealth like the previous ones.

And I'm aware of that, despite my terrible wording this isn't a "fuck open world games they should all stop existing" thread, but rather a "I really found out I can't deal with these kind of games anymore and I don't like them". Most games have gone "open world" or "social" these last few years and I'm not against that. Hell, I really like playing Destiny 2 even though I find the idea of playing with other people to be fucking annoying (never added anyone to a friends list in like...almost ten years?), but it's because I like the gameplay so much despite the other things I can't stand about it.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
This really doesn't make sense to me, because linear games like the first 4 Gears' are the ones with the actual stress inducing collectibles.

Collectibles in an open world game will always be there, waiting for you to find them at your leisure, but in a linear game? Better hope you don't miss anything the very first time you pass it, and god forbid you walk over the invisible trigger for a point of no return before you're ready, forever barring you from finding whatever you missed unless you play the entire game over again.

It's so much less stressful to know that I'm never going to be arbitrarily locked out of something just because I picked the wrong nondescript hallway to wander down.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally get the anxiety of feeling like you HAVE to engage with the open world stuff because what if you might miss something cool??? So I understand where the OP is coming from. Forced open world stuff or RPG elements in games annoy me a lot of the time too.

It's not really rational, it's just how my brain works. I feel like I'm not playing it right if I ignore that stuff.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
In Gears 5 if you skip all the open world stuff then Dave will be extremely gimped and be considerably les useful or fun.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really rational, it's just how my brain works. I feel like I'm not playing it right if I ignore that stuff.
Yes! Thank you! This is what I mean!

It's like that Third Person Shooting thread the other day. People suggested MGS5 over and over, but I couldn't help but feeling like it was nuts that people shot their weapons in that game, I would instantly feel that I'm not supposed to do that EVER. It's zero kill, perfect stealth runs or I'm restarting the whole thing.

In Gears 5 if you skip all the open world stuff then Dave will be extremely gimped and be considerably les useful or fun.
Just to make the Gears 5 angrier (in a joking way), I never use Dave at all. To me it's a gameplay crutch and when I found out the thing gives you more health or can blind enemies it was an instant "f this, I'm never using it, I can handle shit on my own". For context, I never used healing or boosting in Dark Souls 1/2 other than the base Estus Flask and never summoned anyone because I thought it was "cheating" for myself.

Then again, I'm not judging on people who use items or actually employ Dave's abilities, it's just the way I play my shit, despite being aware how crazy, unusual or unfun it sounds.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I can only relate in the sense that the complete opposite is true for me. I tried Gears 5 (my first gears experience) and it was painful to me how linear and simple it was. I felt like I was playing a video game from the distant past. But that's just personal preference, I understand. Really what it comes down to is that Game Pass is pretty neat.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's 3 side missions to get all those upgrades, and they take about 10 minutes each. Not that they're essential to upgrading Jack.

Yeah but you pretty much have to do all the content if you want to make sure to get all the upgrades. It's not like you know exactly which ones give them out beforehand so you can just do the bare minimum. Plus you're also missing out on a significant amount of upgrade points too. It's not essential but I wouldn't imagine it's particularly satisfying to have a gimped new mechanic because you don't want to do the side content.

I can only relate in the sense that the complete opposite is true for me. I tried Gears 5 (my first gears experience) and it was painful to me how linear and simple it was. I felt like I was playing a video game from the distant past. But that's just personal preference, I understand. Really what it comes down to is that Game Pass is pretty neat.

The thing is there's already a ton of open world games on the market and high end linear shooters are becoming a rarity.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Thank you! This is what I mean!

It's like that Third Person Shooting thread the other day. People suggested MGS5 over and over, but I couldn't help but feeling like it was nuts that people shot their weapons in that game, I would instantly feel that I'm not supposed to do that EVER. It's zero kill, perfect stealth runs or I'm restarting the whole thing.
Yup, same. You just know that it's possible and that the game was designed to encourage it (especially in MGSV where killing anyone is just a waste of a potential resource), so just gunning people down feels like Doing It Wrong. I can still go on a spree on occasion, mostly outside of missions, but if I'm playing remotely seriously, I need to at least attempt a perfect stealth run.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who isn't a huge fan of open-world games either, I don't really get this fear of missing out on collectibles if they're just stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The levels in Halo are more like sandboxes and battlefields. In Gears it's just a bunch of marked locations/missions scattered over a barren map that to you can't really traverse on foot.

Totally agree. Completed the open area last night. There is probably 3 to 5 side areas tops and tbh it's really baron. Great to cruise around with a mate and chat while doing so.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't a huge fan of open-world games either, I don't really get this fear of missing out on collectibles if they're just stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game.
Remember GTA4? I was that idiot hunting the pigeons and shit just to stop myself from seeing a "12/200" stat on my screen or whatever. Guess I felt burned out of collecting everything because it was driving me insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
You can literally just follow the waypoints and suddenly it's your typical linear Gears. It's not really open world to begin with, the free roam areas are just hubs, with missions spoking off. Following the waypoint takes you directly to each story mission without any need to explore whatsoever.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Scratch that, I did use Dave on the thing that needs a shield to run past some fire stuff. Just in case someone wanted to call me out on that, lol.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I fear these kind of baseless accusation threads more . You know u can still play Gears 5 linearly right .

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I fear these kind of baseless accusation threads more . You know u can still play Gears 5 linearly right .
Baseless accusation? On what? Me not liking those sections of the game and deciding to quit? I just admitted it's more of a "me problem" than the game being bad. I'm having more fun in the multiplayer and for some reason, the servers have been stable for the last couple of matches, so I'm enjoying the game.

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Baseless accusation? On what? Me not liking those sections of the game and deciding to quit? I just admitted it's more of a "me problem" than the game being bad. I'm having more fun in the multiplayer and for some reason, the servers have been stable for the last couple of matches, so I'm enjoying the game.

The missions have been entertaining so far, but when I reached the point in which you must use a glider or some sort of vehicle and navigate through an entire world map, that's when i pretty much force quitted the game and decided I'm not playing that shit anymore.

This . This shit here is on your own , nobody is forced to navigate an entire world map .

DrScissorsMD

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
OP, I'm genuinely confused. I can understand generally not enjoying open world games or sections, that's not an uncommon sentiment round here (I personally love them) but I'm struggling with how you were put off from the gears 5 open sections cause you're scared you'll miss stuff, yet you then immediately say you were fine with it in Spider-Man cause you didn't care if you missed stuff. Like, which is it? As I think some others have said you can quite easily still go from point A to B, skip all the side-stuff and you won't miss any important story beats. You'll still be able to get all the standard weapons, you'll still be able to max out your Jack upgrades. Please explain.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember GTA4? I was that idiot hunting the pigeons and shit just to stop myself from seeing a "12/60" stat on my screen or whatever. Guess I felt burned out of collecting everything because it was driving me insane.

lmao

I'm sorry man. I guess I just really can't relate to the urge of wanting to fill some list or bar. But if it stands in your way of enjoying the game, I see no point in continuing either.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so you didn't get that feeling in act 1 when you could have missed those upgrade collectibles?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People got like, a FOMO in open world games? Fear of missing out on secrets?

Seems pretty odd, especially just how vitriolic you are towards the idea, but you do you.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
<Rant starts>
I've developed a strong dislike for Ubisoft in the recent years mainly because of this. Their "low-effort", "cookie-cutter","copy-paste" yearly worlds are ruining gaming at-least for me. Even if I completely ignore anything Ubisoft, this is spreading like a plague. God Of War, Tomb Raider and now Gears are all filled with this useless open world chores and activities now. Most probably the same will happen with TLOU and future Uncharted games. I'll still be ok if I can ignore the open world sh*t and can play the game as a linear SP game but that's not the case in most of the games. Burn in hell...Ubilol.
</Rant over>

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Guess I'm undusting my Wii and looking for a $300 USD used copy on eBay then, lol. I'm interested now.

If you don't mind motion controls, then go for it! (It needs Motion Plus, just in case you don't have one). Although I'd just wait a year or two if I were you, since it's the only 3D Zelda left to remaster and the timing is right for it to happen, considering previous remasters/remakes in the series. That's assuming you own a Switch, of course. It's worth a try regardless, if you do end up playing it, I'd love to hear what you think about it!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People got like, a FOMO in open world games? Fear of missing out on secrets?

Seems pretty odd, especially just how vitriolic you are towards the idea, but you do you.

I'm curious if OP also dislikes the number of collectibles (collected/available) being shown on the menu for Act 1...

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who likes open world games, I'm the opposite. If an open world game forces linearity or doing something a specific way that it really shouldn't need to, that can break my enthusiasm for playing it. I'm reminded again of Far Cry 3's forced stealth and automatic failure if I didn't conform to how it insisted I proceed with a mission. I don't want that kind of thing in my 'open' world games!

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
This . This shit here is on your own , nobody is forced to navigate an entire world map .
I had that idea before lots of people telling me I can ignore most of the thing on the map to keep on moving through the campaign. People corrected me and I accept I had that mistake. You just threw "baseless accusation" and didn't know what you meant. So yeah, it was my bad and I honestly recognize it.

Enjoy your "yeah I sure showed this dumb guy" post though.

OP, I'm genuinely confused. I can understand generally not enjoying open world games or sections, that's not an uncommon sentiment round here (I personally love them) but I'm struggling with how you were put off from the gears 5 open sections cause you're scared you'll miss stuff, yet you then immediately say you were fine with it in Spider-Man cause you didn't care if you missed stuff. Like, which is it? As I think some others have said you can quite easily still go from point A to B, skip all the side-stuff and you won't miss any important story beats. You'll still be able to get all the standard weapons, you'll still be able to max out your Jack upgrades. Please explain.
Sure!

Spider-Man felt like a fun game moving from point a-to-b and I was engaged so much in the story that I didn't care about the side missions or collectables, felt like I could finish and play the game just fine by going through the main missions and felt like I had my fill with it after I was done with the story.

But I can't stress how much I disliked the glider thing and how badly I controlled it, so I dreaded I had to endure with it to move on with the game and also miss the collectibles, which is something I really liked about the Gears 1-3 games and thought they would be lost forever if I didn't had a perfect run while visiting the markers on the map.

So I'll say this one more time. I'm liking Gears 5 gameplay a lot, and enjoy the multiplayer so far, but the changes in the campaign stuff put me off, but I'm not saying the game is shit, a saga is ruined or whatever, I JUST DON'T LIKE TO EXPLORE AN OPEN MAP IN A GEARS GAME.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if OP also dislikes the number of collectibles (collected/available) being shown on the menu for Act 1...
so you didn't get that feeling in act 1 when you could have missed those upgrade collectibles?
You guys have no idea.

Remember GTA4? I was that idiot hunting the pigeons and shit just to stop myself from seeing a "12/200" stat on my screen or whatever. Guess I felt burned out of collecting everything because it was driving me insane.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I thought they balanced the linear and the open pretty well. Even in acts 2 and 3 there is a lot of traditional Gears gameplay.

The areas are not huge, they have several optional things to do that can be ignored if you so choose (though I like Jack's abilities so I definitely wanted to do them) and for me were a welcome change of pace. These side missions are also generally very short, very upfront and not elongated or filled with tons of exposition. It's weird to read some say the game is empty and others say the game has too much stuff going on.

Writing them off as pointlessvis a little OTT for me,.though I know why some don't like 'open world' stuff.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry man. I guess I just really can't relate to the urge of wanting to fill some list or bar. But if it stands in your way of enjoying the game, I see no point in continuing either.
I play videogames in a very damaging and horrible way. I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

If you don't mind motion controls, then go for it! (It needs Motion Plus, just in case you don't have one). Although I'd just wait a year or two if I were you, since it's the only 3D Zelda left to remaster and the timing is right for it to happen, considering previous remasters/remakes in the series. That's assuming you own a Switch, of course. It's worth a try regardless, if you do end up playing it, I'd love to hear what you think about it!
Nah, I don't plan on ever buying a Switch, but I do happen to have a Motion Plus (bought a Wii Sports Resort bundle for like $10 dollars when Blockbuster closed down in my country, think it's still unopened haha) so I guess I'll just be on the lookout if I see a used copy somewhere. :)

Oh, and for those going with the "gotcha, OP is lying/he's hating on Gears" post. Be my guest, you'll find out how inconsistent I am when playing videogames and why I rarely talk about them online and never in public lol.

Also, I'm taking breaks between matches to reply, I'm really enjoying the multiplayer, but I'm sorry (?) if I can't get into the campaign mode because of the mental block I get when I see a damn compass and big ass map.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
<Rant starts>
I've developed a strong dislike for Ubisoft in the recent years mainly because of this. Their "low-effort", "cookie-cutter","copy-paste" yearly worlds are ruining gaming at-least for me. Even if I completely ignore anything Ubisoft, this is spreading like a plague. God Of War, Tomb Raider and now Gears are all filled with this useless open world chores and activities now. Most probably the same will happen with TLOU and future Uncharted games. I'll still be ok if I can ignore the open world sh*t and can play the game as a linear SP game but that's not the case in most of the games. Burn in hell...Ubilol.
</Rant over>
There is ZERO chance you've actually played gears 5 with this post. Seriously, the term open world is horribly fucking misused when it comes to this game.

This is not a spoiler, this is the act 3 map, with EVERY map object on it.
s6WTWeJ.png

There aren't random collectibles to find, obscure quests to run into, nothing. There are 8 things, a home base, and player icon (that's the one by the cursor/waypoint). All of the other icons aren't ranodm bullshit, they're bespoke missions.

The lit up part represents the entirety of the explorable 'world' in the game in act 3, and act 2 isn't any bigger. Act 1 and 4 don'[t have them.

All of the OPs fears are EXTREMELY misplaced. Like, donkey kong country takes longer to get across the map in than this game.

Last edited:

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
There is ZERO chance you've actually played gears 5 with this post. Seriously, the term open world is horribly fucking misused when it comes to this game.
Yup. Havnt played 1 out of the 3 games I was talking about in my post. And then regarding Gears my post was based on what others have posted about the upgrade points and how certain characters will be weak if you dont do optional stuff...which I usually found very boring in all the games with this mechanic.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Problem : Player fears skipping collectables. Solution: Skips entire remaining game.

Gears isn't an open world game. It has two rather large maps. Like every gears game, there are collectibles scattered around, but if you've never cared about them before , I'm not sure why you would now.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Problem : Guy fears skipping collectables. Solutiom: Skips entire remaining game.
Pretty much! I just opened the map and went "nah, this is not happening, later". As in, straight up turned off the X1 right there.

But then...
This is not a spoiler, this is the act 3 map, with EVERY map object on it.
s6WTWeJ.png

There aren't random collectibles to find, obscure quests to run into, nothing. There are 8 things, a home base, and player icon (that's the one by the cursor/waypoint). All of the other icons aren't ranodm bullshit, they're bespoke missions.

The lit up part represents the entirety of the explorable 'world' in the game in act 3, and act 2 isn't any bigger. Act 1 and 4 don'[t have them.

All of the OPs fears are EXTREMELY misplaced. Like, donkey kong country takes longer to get across the map in than this game.
Guess who feels like a huge dumbass now? Now I feel like that guy who kept punching Zeus in the face in God of War 3.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can basically ignore the open world element and just follow the markers. 90% of the open world stuff is optional.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much! I just opened the map and went "nah, this is not happening, later". As in, straight up turned off the X1 right there.

But then...

Guess who feels like a huge dumbass now?
I think it's just because people use open world when really it's more of just an overworld. It has literally 0 of the tropes of an open world in terms of standard gaming parlance. It's basically a hub that you happen to have a skiff in, which is pretty fun to drive around honestly. The 'hidden' missions are BLATANTLY marked with flags, act 2 you get all marked on your map for you even if you want, and act 3 you can literally just see them all while you go in your straight line, and you just roll up, get out, and do the mission.

OP
OP
AlexBasch

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just because people use open world when really it's more of just an overworld. It has literally 0 of the tropes of an open world in terms of standard gaming parlance. It's basically a hub that you happen to have a skiff in, which is pretty fun to drive around honestly. The 'hidden' missions are BLATANTLY marked with flags, act 2 you get all marked on your map for you even if you want, and act 3 you can literally just see them all while you go in your straight line, and you just roll up, get out, and do the mission.
See, you made an excellent point on me being wrong and maybe I'll check that shit out in the future since I'm way too invested in the MP right now, but we'll just agree to disagree on controlling the glider. I hated it instantly and kept smashing myself on the walls left and right, so maybe that will be the "hard" part of getting through with that. :)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I agree (not that I'll play Gears 5, the series never appealed to me), but the shoe-horning in of open-worlds is a trend that needs to end (same with forced RPG elements and crafting). Games these days feel the need to be as long as they can; longer than they need to be and it hurts the overall design a lot of the times. The fans are clamoring for them too, but I generally feel they don't really know what they want or are even asking.

Saying to just go from A to B and skip the optional open-world stuff is like saying to skip half the game. It's there; it's meant to be played. If you don't want it to feel like a chose make it better or omit it altogether. It's why I'll never touch Assassin's Creed. People are just accepting that half the game is superfluous and they "don't expect you to do everything anyway". What kind of an excuse is that? It's like skipping half the levels in Mario 3. Every time I replay that I never skip a level because it's all good.

/edit: to be clear: I'm talking about open-worlds in general, not Gears 5.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you pretty much have to do all the content if you want to make sure to get all the upgrades. It's not like you know exactly which ones give them out beforehand so you can just do the bare minimum. Plus you're also missing out on a significant amount of upgrade points too. It's not essential but I wouldn't imagine it's particularly satisfying to have a gimped new mechanic because you don't want to do the side content.

The thing is there's already a ton of open world games on the market and high end linear shooters are becoming a rarity.

Its Jack you're talking about.

But yeah if you don't collect all the components in the open areas Jack wont be fully upgraded... This really shouldn't be a deal breaker for most people - he doesn't need to be fully upgraded to be satisfying and most of the components are found in the mandatory story segments.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
You hate the open spaces because you care about missing collectibles? Well, then don't care about them. There are very few outside linear zones, you perfectly can upgrade Jack only exploring the more linear stages, same with most of the collectibles and they are only important if you want to now more about the Gears lore.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great Game but those open world sections sure are irritating and hamper the flow of the campaign. The linear sections are amazing tho.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
...as a stand alone genre it's the one that has the most potential and ceiling for incredible experiences.
I disagree with this part. I think what open worlds gain in scope, exploration and emergent gameplay, they often lose in narrative focus and character building.

It's not a coincidence that most open world games struggle to tell a thigh, coherent, well-placed story.

They're just a different type of experience, imo.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had similar concerns while playing Act 2 and particularly Act 3. Far too much skiffing back and forth in boring, featureless plains. It felt like artificial padding and as if The Coalition were checking the 'open world' box in the misguided belief that this is how Gears needs to stay relevant in 2019. Thankfully Act 1 and 4 were classic Gears, but at less than half the campaign it points to a worrying direction for the future of the franchise.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about overreaction.
You can just go from point A to point B. It takes about a min or so and ignore the side missions. I mean do you do every side mission in every game? The open world term is being used to its death.