• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had an iPhone for a long time but after getting annoyed so many times I ended up switching to android.

The one feature I absolutely miss is while using the browser you could just swipe left to go back and swipe right to go forward. My Samsung galaxy doesn't have this feature and I do miss it.

What are the little things you miss after switching from one to the other ?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
mostly just facetime because most of my family is iphone and they don't want to use any of the hundreds of other video calling apps out there

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Luckily I always stuck with android and with it's many launchers it has features galore. You should check out a couple Launchers Jindrax, there might be one of them that lets you have the iPhone feature you're missing.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Windows Phone 8 UI is still the most intuitive mobile UI. Windows Phone 10 borked some of it, but was still preferable to the competition.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went from 2 Xperias to a Galaxy S9, more than elated with the switch overall, but I miss having a hotspot toggle icon on the options bar. I have to get into the settings to enable it on the S9.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a smartphone other than an iPhone but it's fucking dumb that in 2019 I still can't watch a YouTube video while browsing safari

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I've been on iPhone for years and I still miss downloading videos or reading books I bought on HumbleBundle without going through hoops.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gesture based stuff is definitely something I missed going to Android last time in 2015 before going back to iOS.

Also, a big one for me personally is having easy OS-level access to a dictionary to quickly look up words in English and Japanese.

Other than that, just the ease of having Apple services like Notes, Photos, and Messages sync across devices.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I miss multi-tasking and the ability to play YT in a minimized state on iOS. It's so annoying that iPhones still don't have a way to multi-task I wanna watch my Youtube and browse the web!

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
iMessage and Facetime are the only reason I would miss iOS. It sucks that those two are locked to the iOS platform - I'd gladly pay money to use them elsewhere.

I definitely would miss Android's customization and freedom of apps. It should be my choice if I want to download a video or chromecast a certain thing. I love how I can use the Win10 Launcher instead of the stock Android launcher

And I definitely miss W10's UI. So fast, and fluid. A single vertically scrolling page is way more intuitive and informative than tabbed pages. The app list is also way better than a crazy grid of apps.

Oct 26, 2017
coming from iOS I find file management and navigation to be confusing on Android, and redundant in some cases. When I download an image or file it feels like there are any number of places where it can end up, and it's never immediately clear.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
i switched to a Note 9 after using an iphone for like 6 years.... and I basically cannot find a decent keyboard that doesn't work like trash compared to the ios keyboard. I don't use social media or really any apps aside from the browser, so it's not a huge disaster... but it's annoying enough that I considered going back to my old phone and will probably never buy another android.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
I had an iPhone for a long time but after getting annoyed so many times I ended up switching to android.

The one feature I absolutely miss is while using the browser you could just swipe left to go back and swipe right to go forward. My Samsung galaxy doesn't have this feature and I do miss it.

I'm considering switching from an iPhone 6 to an android phone (galaxy s10+) but I just can't decide mainly because of the OS experience.

Now thay you've experienced both worlds, would you switch back to an iPhone?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Like you, I miss the swipes left and right to go back and forward.

I also miss the badge numbers for notifications on the apps icons.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i switched to a Note 9 after using an iphone for like 6 years.... and I basically cannot find a decent keyboard that doesn't work like trash compared to the ios keyboard. I don't use social media or really any apps aside from the browser, so it's not a huge disaster... but it's annoying enough that I considered going back to my old phone and will probably never buy another android.
Never heard this one before.. even after trying stuff liek Swift Key, G board?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Have you used the Google keyboard?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The Windows Phone 8 UI is still the most intuitive mobile UI. Windows Phone 10 borked some of it, but was still preferable to the competition.
Came to say this. I know a lot of people hated on it because it wasn't just aping iOS stylistically like Android does, so it was weird and different by comparison to those two, but I still think it was better, I still miss it, and I'm still adjusting to a phone without it after 4 months.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I like Swiftkey, but gboard is pretty good too.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Swiping is literally the only thing I miss too.

In Android land I feel like there's no way there's not a broswer in the play store that would do this.

All I care about in my broswer is that the address bar is at the bottom. That eliminates a majority of the broswer options for me.

OP
OP
Jindrax

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm considering switching from an iPhone 6 to an android phone (galaxy s10+) but I just can't decide mainly because of the OS experience.

Now thay you've experienced both worlds, would you switch back to an iPhone?

No mainly because I like how Android works like a pc.

Small example. I like a band called the midnight. Some weird retrowave stuff. Anyway I purchase their latest album on band camp. Download a zip file. Extracted the flac audio files. And it's automatically playable in my music player.

I wasn't forced to go through iTunes or anything like that. I could use the phone stand alone.

Just for easy usage things like this I'd never go back.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
No mainly because I like how Android works like a pc.

Small example. I like a band called the midnight. Some weird retrowave stuff. Anyway I purchase their latest album on band camp. Download a zip file. Extracted the flac audio files. And it's automatically playable in my music player.

I wasn't forced to go through iTunes or anything like that. I could use the phone stand alone.

Just for easy usage things like this I'd never go back.

But you can download and extract flac files just fine on iOS. I use the Documents app.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
iMessage, Facetime, Tap status bar to go to top of page/app.

I always switch back and forth so no biggie.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
coming from iOS I find file management and navigation to be confusing on Android, and redundant in some cases. When I download an image or file it feels like there are any number of places where it can end up, and it's never immediately clear.

I don't understand this. When you download something on Android, it goes to the folder "Downloads" and nowhere else.

Can you give an example where that's not the case?

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
The contacts app in windows phone 7 was the best thing. Shame I've not found anything similar in any new phone. Having a personal news feed with every social media grouped was amazing.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Uh so I just realized that the my favorite Android broswer has this exact feature which can be enbabled from settings (accessibility):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiwibrowser.browser

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the finger cursor for altering text in iOS. I have it on my iPad, not on my galaxy. The Gboard spacebar swipe is a very poor substitute.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I switched to Android 5 years ago. I don't miss a darn thing about my iPhones.

I hate I wasted money on some apps in the ecosystem, so I guess I miss that money, lol.

I like being able to play all my emulators if I'm waiting somewhere or for something.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the finger cursor for altering text in iOS. I have it on my iPad, not on my galaxy. The Gboard spacebar swipe is a very poor substitute.

I have an iPad Pro and Galaxy S9+ and I actually don't find this to be the case at all. It think it depends on how far back I need to swipe for an edit which usually isn't that far.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't switched OS but I hate going back to phones without multitasking. I use it all the time in the gym. Can watch/listen to YouTube and browse the internet.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Swapped from android to iOS a few years back. I really miss being able to actually customize the default app for most things. Like, let me open links directly in my browser of choice! I also miss the way android controls volume/vibrate settings with the volume buttons. Lastly, I miss the notification light on most android phones.

I will miss iMessage when I switch back to android soon, though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For smart phones, I originally had an Android phone, then went over to iPhone back around the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 generation, had an iPhone for 2 gens, then went back to Android with the Nexus 6, and then continued with Android since then on the Pixel lineup.

When I switched from Android to iPhone it was just too long ago.. probably like 2010? At the time, I missed things like native sharing to whatever app I wanted to, as opposed to Apple's small list of approved sharing sites. But that's all been implemented into iOS for the most part as the years have gone by.

When I transitioned from iPhone to Android the only thing I missed was iMessage, and mostly, just using iMessage on my computer to text/communicate. There were a few similar services -- Hangouts, Pushbullet, others -- but none worked quite so well. That feature has since been implemented with Android's native 'Messages for Web,' which I like more than iMessage because it's platform agnostic.

Today, if I were to switch, I'd mostly miss Google Assistant / Android Auto. There isn't an iOS alternative that remotely does those core, basic features of those two. Siri is a joke and CarPlay is a nice UI for using media in a car, but it lacks the useful parts of Android Auto which are powered by Google Assistant which is what I primarily value Android Auto for. I'd also miss the basic native implementation of GOogle's ecosystem, which is the ecosystem I use the most. I don't want my primary apps to be in bastardized sandboxes on the OS, although Apple has improved that as the years have gone by, but it still feels that way when I use my iPad. I'll most likely never switch back to iOS unless like Android doesn't exist in 10 years, or something, but I think it's more likely that none of these companies exist at all or phone OS' dont exist anymore than it is likely that I'd be choosing between Android or iOS again.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I switched to Android for a couple years and constantly missed the stability + higher-quality apps of iOS. All the bonus features in the world don't matter to me if the phone's a crashy mess.

Also iMessage.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I miss multi-tasking and the ability to play YT in a minimized state on iOS. It's so annoying that iPhones still don't have a way to multi-task I wanna watch my Youtube and browse the web!
Blame Google, not iOS FYI. You can get what you want by paying for YT Red..... ..... dotdotdot ...

fucking bullshit.

fortunately you can at least open a sidebar over YT on iPad..