• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Professor DJ

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Honestly, I keep forgetting this. I believe 2015 was peak for US Xbox sales, then its been down YoY since?

Wasn't 2015 down from 2014? Because if I recall the sales of the AC bundle in 2014 created the delusion that things were picking up but it crashed?

I thought the slim in 2016 is where things started picking up.

Oct 29, 2017
While PS4 Slim is still doing the business, people underestimate the importance of PS4 Pro.

Baseline was 20% during it's launch window, but almost 18 months on, with all the 4K talk and 1st party software, that can only have increased. It's appealing to both new console owners and those upgrading from regular PS4. Upgrading within your ecosystem is far more affordable than switching entirely, with expensive hardware, and new software.

That's also one of the reasons Switch is a more obvious addition for PS4 owners. That system offers exclusive software and a unique form factor. Sure, you still have to part with a decent sum of cash, but you're investing in a genuinely new experience.
Yeah that's a good point, getting PS4Pro upgrades your existing library whereas you have to buy a new one if you switch to One X. Would be interesting to see a more recent breakdown of PS4s/pro sales, hopefully Mat can shine a light here. Maybe the PS4 Pro is the thing causing the abnormally level plateau of PS4 sales for the past two/three years. If so, Sony will be very happy with the introduction. Not for MAU necessarily, but certainly for sustained consumer spending.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
2015/2016 are the best XB1 years. 2015 Is slighly better, but for a very tiny margin.

2017 and 2014 are also super similar, with 2014 being a bit better.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While PS4 Slim is still doing the business, people underestimate the importance of PS4 Pro.

Baseline was 20% during it's launch window, but almost 18 months on, with all the 4K talk and 1st party software, that can only have increased. It's appealing to both new console owners and those upgrading from regular PS4. Upgrading within your ecosystem is far more affordable than switching entirely, with expensive hardware, and new software.

That's also one of the reasons Switch is a more obvious addition for PS4 owners. That system offers exclusive software and a unique form factor. Sure, you still have to part with a decent sum of cash, but you're investing in a genuinely new experience.
Well we don't know US splits, but in Japan some weeks are even 50:50 now.
Even tho, Japan always was a little higher in favour of Ps4 Pro. (up to 30%, when the WW average was stated at 20% from Sony)

Depends if Sea of Thieves blows up.
Exactly, but before this very strong February for Ps4 i would've guessed Xbox come in #1 in March. Now i'm not certain at all anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
I know Sea of Thieves is really fun game, but I cant see it outpacing God of War...PS4 should by all evidence take April
April will be a super interesting month. Are there God of War fans that don't have a PS4 yet (or are people willing to upgrade to Pro for it)? Will Labo blow up immediately, or be a slow burn until Christmas? Can Sea of Thieves generate enough hype to have a sustained effect on Xbox sales? Can go every which way imo.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People should also be aware of retail tracking periods.
March NPD runs through 7th April this year and will include the first 3 weeks of Sea of Thieves and 2 weeks of MLB The Show.

Professor DJ

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Wait when does crackdown 3 and state of decay coming out? Aren't those supposed to come out within the next month or two?

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Well we don't know US splits, but in Japan some weeks are even 50:50 now.
Even tho, Japan always was a little higher in favour of Ps4 Pro. (up to 30%, when the WW average was stated at 20% from Sony)

Exactly, but before this very strong February for Ps4 i would've guessed Xbox come in #1 in March. Now i'm not certain at all anymore.
Japan ratio is due to a shortage of the slim model.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does MLB really move consoles? It's an annual franchise so I imagine most people interested in it already have a PS4.
Not sure about moving consoles, but it's an extremely successful titel in the US and moves a lot of units.
It was the 10th best selling game on Ps4 last year.

And even if the games does not attract new customers, it could make some Ps4 owner upgrade to Ps4 Pro for the game and in anticipation for God of War.
I just wanted to point out, that MLB is always a late March release date and often just a few days of tracking, but this year it's 2 weeks.

Japan ratio is due to a shortage of the slim model.
So weird to read Ps4 and stock shortage in the same sentence 4 years after launch.

Last edited:

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Does MLB really move consoles? It's an annual franchise so I imagine most people interested in it already have a PS4.

Great question...If I'm not mistaken (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), with the exception of Switch's launch in 2017, PS4 has won every one of MLB's NPD launch months ( 2014, 2015 & 2016)...Is that because of MLB, I don't know, but the only major AAA exclusive competition it ever had was Quantum Break in 2016 (and the aforementioned Switch & Zelda, which again, did win MLB's 2017 launch month)

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
As mentioned above, there's the Pro upgrade route, adding additional sales from existing PS4 owners. A double combo of MLB and GoW could be what pushes some over the edge. The GoW Pro console is also quite distinctive.

At this stage in the lifecycle everything's relative. Sure, many MLB fans will already own a PS4, but there'll still be people coming into the gen late on. When we move onto next gen these genres still continue to be made for 'old' systems.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess I can understand people upgrading to Pro model for a game, though tbh MLB isn't the game I see people doing it for.

It's interesting that PS4 won every March except last year, I wonder how much is that related to Xbox just not being a good competition than MLB.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Using the same reference point, .i.e. Switch at Feb 2018 as 1.

PS4 at Feb 2017: 1.41
XBox One at Feb 2017: 0.78

PS4 was actually down slightly, but it had a fantastic February last year.

The overall increase in HW sale volume was mostly due to XBox One, Switch and SNES Mini.

XBox One was up 40%+
Thanks!

I didn't see anyone post what the numbers would be so this is what I get.

PS4: ~363K (-9% YoY)
XB1: ~310K (+44% YoY)
NSW: ~279K
OTH: ~137K
3DS: ~103K

Xbox One has had its best January and February this year.

Last edited:

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So with all those promotions Xbox couldn't win NPD? Last time Xbox won NPD was in October 2016. This is Xbox's strongest market?

btw I was sure that because MHW Switch wouldn't win January - And switch won January. Because that win I was sure that Switch would win and February - Switch ended in third place.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
RIP my predictions. I really overestimated the Switch.

If I had to take a guess, Monster Hunter was the big factor for the PS4 win in February. I didn't expect MHW to be the number one game for February.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
So, with all of those promotions, Xbox could not win (this months) NPD? The last time Xbox won NPD was in October 2016. This is Xbox strongest market?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still, irrespective of having a temporary price drop for two weeks, the Xbox One is up YoY in both January and February respectively. I can probably safely assume that the Xbox One has reached 36 million units by now too, unless Welfare suggests otherwise?

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still, irrespective of having a temporary price drop for two weeks, the Xbox One is up YoY in both January and February respectively. I can probably safely assume that the Xbox One has reached 36 million units by now too, unless Welfare suggests otherwise?
Yeah it should be ~36M by now.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Ps4 is just continously strong on its own. It's hard to beat the market leader.
I'm sure tho Xbox One will win one ore more months this year, but what does it really matter if the console will outsell the Ps4 by 10k units in May for example, the lowest month of the year anyway.

I guess the Ps4 performance this February was the the most surprising one for all.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

I didn't see anyone post what the numbers would be so this is what I get.

PS4: ~363K (-9% YoY)
XB1: ~310K (+44% YoY)
NSW: ~279K
OTH: ~137K
3DS: ~103K

Xbox One has had its best January and February this year.
Zedark posted estimations but it was literally ignored for some reason.

Not as bad for the Switch as I originally thought. The PS4 just killed it dang.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
March should be a good month for switch with Kirby and the smash announcement,

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
February seems to have had good sales all around.

- PS4's performance was very good considering no new software releases to speak of and no price cuts. I would be curious to see how much PS Plus subs are increasing each year as well.
- Xbone seems to be turning around somewhat and had much better sales vs disastrous last year.
- Switch is chugging along quite well. Release calendar for the year seems to be pretty good for the next few month.

In short, despite lootboxes and other BS, gaming industry is doing quite well. Any reports on mobile gaming performance in US?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising PS4 and XBOX on top in February. MHW is too strong while Switch literally had no game. I expect similar result throughout the first half of 2018.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising PS4 and XBOX on top in February. MHW is too strong while Switch literally had no game. I expect similar result throughout the first half of 2018.

Me thinks you do not know what "literally" means.

Switch being third place and still having a strong result means the industry is in a great place right now.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is on cruise control right now, February was especially dire in terms of new games. We'll see next investor's meeting if it's in line with their expectations and whether it paid off for them. But looking at the next few months I don't see it picking up at all, unless Labo blows up. I don't expect Switch to be on top until Smash at this rate. But it'll probably sell steadily enough.

On a personal note I find it a shame that they would leave the first few months of the year so empty after all the momentum they had this holiday.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
February seems to have had good sales all around.

- PS4's performance was very good considering no new software releases to speak of and no price cuts. I would be curious to see how much PS Plus subs are increasing each year as well.
- Xbone seems to be turning around somewhat and had much better sales vs disastrous last year.
- Switch is chugging along quite well. Release calendar for the year seems to be pretty good for the next few month.

In short, despite lootboxes and other BS, gaming industry is doing quite well. Any reports on mobile gaming performance in US?

Monster Hunter was released on January 26th but clearly all of it's impact came in the month of February. I'd be really curious to see what the split ratio for that title was.

EDIT: Also, the Shadow of the Colossus remake came out. I'm sure that had some impact.

Last edited:

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is on cruise control right now, February was especially dire in terms of new games. We'll see next investor's meeting if it's in line with their expectations and whether it paid off for them. But looking at the next few months I don't see it picking up at all, unless Labo blows up. I don't expect Switch to be on top until Smash at this rate. But it'll probably sell steadily enough.

On a personal note I find it a shame that they would leave the first few months of the year so empty after all the momentum they had this holiday.

Hum? The leak specifically already answered this: yes.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
looks at predictions for february

Why are yall saying the rest of year when we clearly don't even know the next month lol.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me thinks you do not know what "literally" means.

Switch being third place and still having a strong result means the industry is in a great place right now.
I'm not saying Switch is doing bad though, but clearly it suffered from a drought, and I believe a lot of Switch owners would agree with me that Switch was on a drought.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Switch is doing bad though, but clearly it suffered from a drought, and I believe a lot of Switch owners would agree with me that Switch was on a drought.

I was just poking fun at you for using "literally" incorrectly, which literally everyone on the internet seems to do.

Even me!

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
You can somewhat look at February 2018 and compare it to March 2014

March 2014
PS4: 371K
XB1: 311K

February 2018
PS4: ~363K
XB1: ~310K

You would think given the circumstances in both months, Xbox would win, yet PS4 pulls ahead by a large margin. Also both months sold similar units.

The preceding months to these, February 2014 and January 2018, PS4 and Xbox One were also close.

February 2014

PS4: 269K
XB1: 258K

January 2018
PS4: ~254K
XB1: ~235K

Oct 29, 2017

I agree that it's a shame, but Switch' current line up is not particularly worse than PS4 and XB1 May through August. (And I think Labo could hold its own against God of War.)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
You can somewhat look at February 2018 and compare it to March 2014

March 2014
PS4: 371K
XB1: 311K

February 2018

You would think given the circumstances in both months, Xbox would win, yet PS4 pulls ahead by a large margin. Also both months sold similar units.

The preceding months to these, February 2014 and January 2018, PS4 and Xbox One were also close.

February 2014

PS4: 269K
XB1: 258K

January 2018
What is the LTD gap? I know it surpassed 3M already. I'm guessing it's 3.2-3.3M in favor of PS4 now?

Oct 25, 2017
Dozens of games release every week on the Switch and smaller retail releases in February also happened. And doing 30k less than a console apparently not having a drought would be a good result regardless.

What is a drought.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
February 2018

January 2018

So PS4 is more than 40% up MoM from January and Xbox One more than 30%. So much for PS4 and Xbox One not gaining momentum. In other words the Switch was about the same as in January and the other two gained massively.