• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting results for PS4, XBO.

I underestimated XBO, PS4 is holding nice with next gen upon us soon.

Switch is such an amazing comeback story for Nintendo.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thank you.
Sony should get on that deals train if they want hardware to sell better

I mean, not really? They are still doing well for entering the 6th year on the market. They aren't going to win many months from Nintendo when you consider this just just the switches 3rd year and you saw the growth PS4 had from year 2 to 3.

They have shown they are more interested in selling consoles at a profit than just moving more units.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you.
PS4 sales are in a good spot given price hasn't budged in over 2 years. There isn't much you can do against the eventual fall in sales so Sony don't want to do much at this point.

I'll keep saying it until about September but I think the super slim for $249 will be out by the end of September. Until then I don't see Sony doing deals outside of June's Days of Play sale.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fe...loses-tuesday-march-12th.102857/post-18464944

Xbox One

Xbox One X Fallout 76 1TB Bundles $399 [February 2 - March 31]
Xbox One X Bundles $449 / Xbox One S Bundles $249 [February 17 - March 2] [2 weeks]

Xbox One X Metro Saga 1TB Bundle $499 [$449 during price cut]
Xbox One S 1TB Anthem Bundle $299 [$249 during price cut]

My post here lists as many potential events as possible. https://www.resetera.com/threads/fe...oses-tuesday-march-12th.102857/#post-18464944

PS4: Nothing

Switch: Switch + $35 eShop code Bundle $299

Xbox One: Whole bunch of deals below

Xbox One X Fallout 76 1TB Bundles $399 [February 2 - March 31]
Xbox One X Bundles $449 / Xbox One S Bundles $249 [February 17 - March 2] [2 weeks]

Xbox One X Metro Saga 1TB Bundle $499 [$449 during price cut]
Xbox One S 1TB Anthem Bundle $299 [$249 during price cut]

PS4

Nothing

Switch

Switch + 35$ eshop $299 [February 15 - ????]
I think there were various PS4 bundles with COD/Spiderman (and Pro+RDR2) at below the value of console + game (?)

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Any hints how are sales until now in March?
HEfR.gif

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when some people were arguing with me PS4 / Xbox One wouldn't be facing steep declines YoY for the first half of 2019

🤔

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.
Thing is... Their hardware continues to sell just fine for a nearly 6 year old hardware, without any deal whatsoever, which is kind of amazing.

If memory serves, due to temp price drops and bundles during previous 3 years Q1 (particularly 2016/ 2017), this might have been the most expensive the PS4 has been on average in the past 4 years...

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
What is ps4's LTD compared to switch LTD in the same timeframe? ps4 would be heading into 2015 holidays.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What is ps4's LTD compared to switch LTD in the same timeframe? ps4 would be heading into 2015 holidays.

Speaking globally IIRC the Switch will have to ship something like 19-19.5M for the FY to match the PS4 after it's next holiday season after March. Meaning 4.5-5M this quarter. I think they can get close to 4M but not too far ahead of that.

US wise I have no idea.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Speaking globally IIRC the Switch will have to ship something like 19-19.5M for the FY to match the PS4 after it's next holiday season after March. Meaning 4.5-5M this quarter. I think they can get close to 4M but not too far ahead of that.

US wise I have no idea.
With NA and Japan selling 1M HW each for Q4, you think EU and rotw will follow suit with good increases? I feel that Japan had the highest increases this quarter and will prob have 30% share of shipments.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
They have shown they are more interested in selling consoles at a profit than just moving more units.
This. They could break records if they decide to sell for $200, but they want that extra cash in their pockets.
PS4 is more than 5 years old and still costs 300, crazy when you think about it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
With NA and Japan selling 1M HW each for Q4, you think EU and rotw will follow suit with good increases? I feel that Japan had the highest increases this quarter and will prob have 30% share of shipments.

Yeah I expect all territories have an increase but it won't be as big as Japan's. US is ~30% up YOY on a weekly basis whereas Japan is now at like ~47% up YOY or so. ROTW will probably be more like the US, maybe a bit less.

As for their final Q4 number it will depend a lot on whether or not Q3 was overshipped at all. I'd say we're looking at something like 3.6-3.9M sell-through for the quarter.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Remember when some people were arguing with me PS4 / Xbox One wouldn't be facing steep declines YoY for the first half of 2019

🤔

You were saying their sales would collapse. PS4 with no deals sold 280k and all the deals Xbox had got it over 220k, Honestly the sales are looking healthy for both so late in the game, not anything like a collapse.

Also, Xbox dominated TV ad spending in February. No doubt that helped its performance so people should really take that into consideration as well.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they dropped price to $200 I dont think PS4 is breaking any more records

We are in the final stages of its life cycle. Its holding reasonably well though considering how late we are and it's still $300

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

US wise I have no idea.

Well if globally Switch is up 30% yoy then using last years Q4 shipment as a base that would give us 3.79 million. Nintendo themselves forecasted 2.5 million and I refuse to believe that they thought that Switch would somehow have lower sell trough this Q4 than last year. To me this indicates that they knew that they overshipped during holiday season so I don't think that 3.79 million is realistic even if direct yoy increases would point to it. Something like 3 to 3.5 million would be my guess. Q3 and Q4 are the quarters where you can see big differences between sell trough and shipments. For example back in 2017 Sony sold trough more consoles during Q4 than they shipped.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Funny thing I noticed: in Japan, Switch sales are headed for a 980k-990k first quarter of 2019. In the US, we are currently at 284k + 363k = 647k. For the US to beat Japan's Q1, it needs to sell 330k-340k in March. Last March, it did 308k, so it needs to be up YoY by 7.2%-10.4%. It will probably reach that, but the fact that such a high number is needed shown how well the system has sold in Japan this quarter.

Benji Japan saw a massive Pokémon effect, raising the baseline almost 20k from 53k to 70k. Have you seen hardware sales spike after the Pokémon Direct in the US, too?

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is around 50% up in Japan, and for first two months looking at weeks sales around 30%, so WW Switch could be easily be around 30-35% up for Q1, and that would mean around 4m shipped units in Q4, so that would mean around 18.5m for this FY.
IMO 18m for current FY looks locked, unless Nintendo overshiped Switch units last quarter so they ship less units this quarter,
also it seems that Switch will be at around 36m after 25 months on market.[/QUOTE]
That would be behind PS4 which was at 37.7 million shipped after 25 months and being $100 more expensive.

https://www.psu.com/news/ps4-has-shipped-37-7-million-units-worldwide/

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is around 50% up in Japan, and for first two months looking at weeks sales around 30%, so WW Switch could be easily be around 30-35% up for Q1, and that would mean around 4m shipped units in Q4, so that would mean around 18.5m for this FY.
IMO 18m for current FY looks locked, unless Nintendo overshiped Switch units last quarter so they ship less units this quarter,
also it seems that Switch will be at around 36m after 25 months on market.
Goes to show how bad Xbox is doing worldwide when switch is so close in such a small amount of time.

Jan 17, 2019
You were saying their sales would collapse. PS4 with no deals sold 280k and all the deals Xbox had got it over 220k, Honestly the sales are looking healthy for both so late in the game, not anything like a collapse.

Also, Xbox dominated TV ad spending in February. No doubt that helped its performance so people should really take that into consideration as well.

Oh, numbers surely show us how the sales are good for everyone. But there is other side of the story. I slow months, what MS needs to do for X1 to sell it to customers unlike Sony or Nintendo in US and especially ROTW?

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Funny thing I noticed: in Japan, Switch sales are headed for a 980k-990k first quarter of 2019. In the US, we are currently at 284k + 363k = 647k. For the US to beat Japan's Q1, it needs to sell 330k-340k in March. Last March, it did 308k, so it needs to be up YoY by 7.2%-10.4%. It will probably reach that, but the fact that such a high number is needed shown how well the system has sold in Japan this quarter.

Benji Japan saw a massive Pokémon effect, raising the baseline almost 20k from 53k to 70k. Have you seen hardware sales spike after the Pokémon Direct in the US, too?
I just realized that March is a 5 week tracking period, we could be looking at a 400k month for switch.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

April onwards will look very bad for PS4 and XB1. March should be close to February because it's 5 weeks but after that is when the comparison to 2018 looks worse.

For PS4 specifically, the only months it'll be above 200K outside of Q4 that are left are March, June, and September. There won't be another +300K month other than the Switch.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Would love to know the answer to this as well.

Switch is going to go on one heck of a tear later this year once the big titles start dropping.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they dropped price to $200 I dont think PS4 is breaking any more records

We are in the final stages of its life cycle. Its holding reasonably well though considering how late we are and it's still $300

It could break record of best selling console in it's 6th year but something like that not worth the profit .

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Also it seems like Sony is pushing deals only in markets where they really are doing poorly like Japan, they don't really need it in the US.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Kirby launched in March 2018, and switch did 308k over 4 weeks, 77k avg. Will this March have a higher average? If so, that could mean a 400k month since it's 5 weeks instead of 4.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018

Extremely well, in combination with tax returns being a mess in the US, I thought the decline would be far greater for both PS4 and Xbox.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
Well if globally Switch is up 30% yoy then using last years Q4 shipment as a base that would give us 3.79 million. Nintendo themselves forecasted 2.5 million and I refuse to believe that they thought that Switch would somehow have lower sell trough this Q4 than last year. To me this indicates that they knew that they overshipped during holiday season so I don't think that 3.79 million is realistic even if direct yoy increases would point to it. Something like 3 to 3.5 million would be my guess. Q3 and Q4 are the quarters where you can see big differences between sell trough and shipments. For example back in 2017 Sony sold trough more consoles during Q4 than they shipped.

Pretty sure Switch wasn't overshipped at the end of 2018. We know Shipment was at 32,27 mio. at the end of 2018, and sell-through was >30 mio. at the end of January. With the numbers for January in US and Japan, sell-through globally in January should be slightly below 1 million, which puts the difference between shipment and sell-through at ~3 million units at the end of 2018. That should be a pretty typical "buffer" for shipments at the rate the console sells, i.e. 2-3 months. For comparison, there was a 2,6 mio. difference between PS4 shipment and sell-through at the same timepoint, which would fit nicely with the expected sales of PS4 going forward.

I agree with you though that Nintendo will probably ship less than they sell-through in Q1, that way they can potentially ship more consoles next FY to restore the buffer. The reduced FY target of 17 mio. consoles gives them a bit leeway to potentially engineer bigger growth for next FY.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pretty sure Switch wasn't overshipped at the end of 2018. We know Shipment was at 32,27 mio. at the end of 2018, and sell-through was >30 mio. at the end of January. With the numbers for January in US and Japan, sell-through globally in January should be slightly below 1 million, which puts the difference between shipment and sell-through at ~3 million units at the end of 2018. That should be a pretty typical "buffer" for shipments at the rate the console sells, i.e. 2-3 months. For comparison, there was a 2,6 mio. difference between PS4 shipment and sell-through at the same timepoint, which would fit nicely with the expected sales of PS4 going forward.

I agree with you though that Nintendo will probably ship less than they sell-through in Q1, that way they can potentially ship more consoles next FY to restore the buffer. The reduced FY target of 17 mio. consoles gives them a bit leeway to potentially engineer bigger growth for next FY.
What is the source for 30M+ sell-through?

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Ps4 inventory was the following in early January
1.4 million in 2015
1.8 million in 2016
3.7 million in 2017
2.9 million in 2018
2.6 million in 2019

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
I read through that Q3 report from Nintendo, and what suprised me is that Asia is expanding way faster than the 3ds This could lead to a healthy LTD for that market, and if it applies to many small markets, we could be looking at a really nice LTD for switch in the end.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That would be behind PS4 which was at 37.7 million shipped after 25 months and being $100 more expensive.

https://www.psu.com/news/ps4-has-shipped-37-7-million-units-worldwide/

Yeah, PS4 will launch aligned will curently be above Switch because just had its 3. holiday season, Switch will again be above PS4 launch aligned when again has its next Holiday season...because they had different time of releases.

Talking about prices, Switch had $100 lower price point than PS4, but PS4 was strongest hardware on market, had 500GB, BD player...while Switch is hybrid...in other words, both consoles had right launch prices, sales proves that.
But when you compare them, difference is that Switch still has launch price point, it selling for $300 without game, on other hand PS4 had permanent price cut in less than 2 years on market.