• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looks like the digital only Xbox One S will launch in May. https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...tw_card&utm_content=62966&utm_campaign=social

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of impact it has on sales.
How do the economics work out for retailers with this system? Consicering it would be digital only, won't that take away most of the income retailers can get from the system, that is, the sale of retail games? If so, wouldn't retailers be acting against their own interest in stocking this system?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
How do the economics work out for retailers with this system? Consicering it would be digital only, won't that take away most of the income retailers can get from the system, that is, the sale of retail games? If so, wouldn't retailers be acting against their own interest in stocking this system?

Indeed...i'm curious about this too.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Game Card sales at retail continue to break records, while sales of Accessories such as Headsets and Gamepads are also at record levels. Things are changing, but still lots of money to be made at retail.

If the reports are true, retailers could just select to not carry those SKUs, but run the risk of alienating customers that come in to pick one up. Each retailer will approach this differently of course, but the market is what it is.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Game Card sales at retail continue to break records, while sales of Accessories such as Headsets and Gamepads are also at record levels. Things are changing, but still lots of money to be made at retail.
usually well-informed sources reported that microsoft promised to retailers that the build quality for xbox acessories will be lowered drastically, so brick and mortar stores will be more than compensated for the loss in boxed game sales. it's a win-win situation. MS labs already hired engineers of leading washing machine and tumble dryer manufatures to benefit from their expertise.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] 310K
[PS4] 250K
[XB1] 190K

Anthem on top. This causes much debate on whether it's a flop or not.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
We should have a NPD software predictions thread. Anyway, I'll just drop my top 10 here.
  1. Anthem
  2. Metro Exodus
  3. Crackdown 3
  4. Far Cry: New Dawn
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  7. Jump Force
  8. Red Dead Redemption II
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
Edit: Replaced RE2 with 2K19

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We should have a NPD software predictions thread. Anyway, I'll just drop my top 10 here.
  1. Anthem
  2. Metro Exodus
  3. Crackdown 3
  7. Jump Force
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
I doubt Crackdown will even be in the top 10.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown 3 will surprise with its ranking. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 were supposed to be disappointments yet they were #2 and #1 in their launch months. Digital sales will carry Crackdown to a respectable launch, but March and after it'll disappear from the charts.

Anthem will be #1, and Far Cry and Crackdown should round out the top 3. Don't know which of those two will lead the other.

Oct 25, 2017
I have low expectations for CD3 but I suppose it could surprise with digital. US will be its biggest market by far, so it can be done.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 will surprise with its ranking. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 were supposed to be disappointments yet they were #2 and #1 in their launch months. Digital sales will carry Crackdown to a respectable launch, but March and after it'll disappear from the charts.

Anthem will be #1, and Far Cry and Crackdown should round out the top 3. Don't know which of those two will lead the other.
Far Cry is 40$ so it is at disadvantage.

Plus don't forget Jump Force, I am expecting it to open very well.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Far Cry is 40$ so it is at disadvantage.

Plus don't forget Jump Force, I am expecting it to open very well.
I would not be surprised if Jump Force and Metro are #4 and #5.

I forgot Far Cry was $40, so maybe Crackdown will #2. Jump Force could even be #3 in that case.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Weren't both SoT and SoD2 #1 in their respective launch month?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
  1. Anthem
  2. Metro Exodus
  3. Crackdown 3
  7. Jump Force
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
In hindsight, I seriously lowballed Jump Force. I forgot Far Cry is $40, so it's probably a bit farther down, too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I can't see CD3 even making the top 10.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
[NSW] 305K
[PS4] 250K
[XB1] 115K

Edit: All Xbox Game Pass Exclusives will be top 3 in launch month then dissapear from the face of the earth.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Far Cry 5 was a good soldier for Ubisoft last year, but I don't think we can expect the same strong performance from New Dawn this year. New Dawn is $40, which puts it at a disadvantage in dollar sales rankings, and it didn't have that much hype ahead of release as Far Cry 5.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think the forum would come to a standstill if Crackdown charted at all.

I'm hoping it does for the entertainment.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
  1. Anthem
  2. Metro Exodus
  3. Crackdown 3
  7. Jump Force
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
No NSMBU:DX eh?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think the forum would come to a standstill if Crackdown charted at all.

I'm hoping it does for the entertainment.
All of the 60 Metacritic Xbox exclusives people love to hate have charted on the NPDs during their launch month. Don't expect Crackdown 3 to be any different. Maybe Crackdown 3 could miss the top 5 because of heavy competition (I don't think that will happen), but it's definitely going to make the top 10.