• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
DzxiVbWV4Ac33jS.jpg:small

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
What is everyone's first memory of watching wrestling?

For me, in the early to mid 90s my dad won a surfing competition and one of his prizes was renting 5 VHS tapes a week from our local rental place. Since he was a real person who actually left the house I basically got to use the rentals for whatever I wanted. Amidst binging Star Trek I rented every WWF and WCW tape the store had. I can't remember the specific shows or anything, but it was all really early Hogan stuff, as far as WWF went.
Two Things:
The original "war games" and the previews...it blew my mind...like, this looks insane ...The great American Bash!

and I remember when Andre ripped Hulk's crucifix off his neck...I instantly wanted to see wrestlemania 3 ..

.I can remember my friend having pay per view and recording royal rumble and stuff on VHS..and I remember seeing nwa on VHS at movie stores. Like old great American bash and jim crocket cup, starcade, ect. I also remember AWA and World Class on EPSN in the afternoons at 4pm.....the glory days of prime time wrestling and NWA on TBS Saturday nights at 6...It didn't get any better than that.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

For me, in the early to mid 90s my dad won a surfing competition and one of his prizes was renting 5 VHS tapes a week from our local rental place. Since he was a real person who actually left the house I basically got to use the rentals for whatever I wanted. Amidst binging Star Trek I rented every WWF and WCW tape the store had. I can't remember the specific shows or anything, but it was all really early Hogan stuff, as far as WWF went.
Everyone when I was a kid was super in to wrestling. They'd talk about Cactus Jack and I didn't have sky, so no wrestling for me. I always wanted to though.

I have memories of WCW Worldwide on channel 5, but I can't remember if it was before or after I saw the Royal Rumble 2000. I pretty much consider that my first show, and I've been hooked ever since.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I have a confession to make ResetERA.

...I tuned into Brennan William's twitch stream last night since Adam Cole was on it. It was absolutely horrendous in every single way and Cole looked legitimately uncomfortable by the end of it.

What was terrible, Brennan was going full weeb while Cole didn't understand what's going on or they were saying stupid shit?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone when I was a kid was super in to wrestling. They'd talk about Cactus Jack and I didn't have sky, so no wrestling for me. I always wanted to though.

I have memories of WCW Worldwide on channel 5, but I can't remember if it was before or after I saw the Royal Rumble 2000. I pretty much consider that my first show, and I've been hooked ever since.

Worldwide started on Channel 5 quite a bit before Channel 4 got the rights to Sunday Night Heat & the four PPVs, so it probably would have been Worldwide.

Worldwide was very confusing but occasionally highly entertaining, especially when Steiner was on.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
people still posting awful sources in tweets. cmon now.

The source isn't the tweet, it's Meltzer. And if that's your point...stop this, lol.

I'll accept Cena or Ali. It should be Kofi, but I'll accept Cena or Ali. And Cena will be a clusterfuck 'cause the next time he challenges really should be to win his 17th. But everyone else on that list is dumb.

Nah... the end road for Gargano was finally becoming NXT Champion.

They had a path to that that would have been just as, and frankly more, satisfying, that could have wrapped up by now... but they decided to push everyone else to the side and now we're getting nothing. The Gargano heel turn is the only reason this story got extended.

DIY had been in NXT for years, the longer guys are there, the more likely they are to just get called up.

It was a risk to try an 18 month+ (closer to 24 month frankly if you include Gargano's story while Ciampa was out... and I goshdarn do). Especially when you had a path to your endgame while Gargano was the biggest, most beloved, babyface.

Now they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Agreed.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Worldwide started on Channel 5 quite a bit before Channel 4 got the rights to Sunday Night Heat & the four PPVs, so it probably would have been Worldwide.

Worldwide was very confusing but occasionally highly entertaining, especially when Steiner was on.
I remember the stuff from Worldwide was months behind.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the stuff from Worldwide was months behind.

Yep. It was a packaged product that they recorded specific commentary for

Now that I look back on it, it was probably more coherent then what the americans got as they would choose what from nitro/thunder to put on it lol

Scott Hudson was the voice of WCW for me because I rarely watched Nitro

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Team Hell No vs. The Shield at TLC in 2012. The match just kept escalating in ridiculousness. I didn't know anything about wrestling but my friends were big fans. I took a guess the Shield would win and everyone kinda laughed it off 'cause they were new people and Hell No were established. Longer the match went, the more my friends were like "Shit, I think you might be right." A few powerbombs through some tables (or as we called it "the Case Closed") later, the team was victorious.

Fun match.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for clarifying that! I remember nothing from worldwide other than the comic book cover ups

Oct 25, 2017

Some random Smackdown in like 2009. There was a triple threat for the title between Rey, The Undertaker, and someone I can't remember. I remember thinking that the match was long.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
It's crazy and just fucking bizarre how batshit nutty WWE's booking is right now...it's literally just throw shit at the wall week by week and see what sticks which is usually nothing...

Is HHH a face or a heel this week? Who knows.

Why did these NXT guys show up suddenly? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is Bryan going to start a program with the most over male performer they have right now? Nahhhh, let's go with Bray Wyatt (LOL) or Cena....hell at this point it'll probably be him and Super Calo at Mania.

Ciampa, one of the best heels in the business, working as a babyface? Sure why not...oh by the way that story you cared so much about in NXT with Gargano? Ehhhh maybe we'll get back to it, maybe not.

Back to back nights of Corbin and Braun for the 750th time....complete with 50/50 booking? You got it!

Ruby Riott gets beat in under 2 mins. and gets a rematch the next night and has a competitive match now? Heh.

Seth and Dean cool now after a blood feud built around Roman's leukemia and betrayal? Sure.

We are truly through the looking glass....

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah... the end road for Gargano was finally becoming NXT Champion.

They had a path to that that would have been just as, and frankly more, satisfying, that could have wrapped up by now... but they decided to push everyone else to the side and now we're getting nothing. The Gargano heel turn is the only reason this story got extended.

DIY had been in NXT for years, the longer guys are there, the more likely they are to just get called up.

It was a risk to try an 18 month+ (closer to 24 month frankly if you include Gargano's story while Ciampa was out... and I goshdarn do). Especially when you had a path to your endgame while Gargano was the biggest, most beloved, babyface.

Now they have absolutely nothing to show for it.
Don't worry eventually Sami Zayn will beat Owens for the title to pay off that storyline

By which I mean the tag titles which all of these characters will be relegated to

Oct 25, 2017
Gargano was still selling his character's reluctance to buy in completely with Ciampa. Of course we don't know if they will continue the story on RAW or if Gargano was just doing that of his own accord and no one backstage actually gives a shit.

All around pretty disappointing but hey, at least they're making the big bucks now.

GLOW and Surfer Sting in WCW.

To this day it still makes sense lol

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, dream should have beat ciampa for the title and they could do black dream 2 before he got called up

But instead we got needless months ofjonny staring at stuff that no one was buying

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wrestlemania III, specifically Hulk vs Andre. My aunt was a massive Hogan mark, and she ordered the ppv for the whole family to watch.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York

My mom and dad used to watch wrestling all the time before I was born and even saw shows at Madison Square Garden. That stopped after I was born. We used to watch wrestling from time to time as a family but it wasn't until WrestleMania XIV that I became a fan: I was around eight or nine and it is the earliest event that I remember watching. Mom was a big Stone Cold fan (loved Dwayne more) but I grew so fascinated in it all from there. Tyson's swerve from DX to "Cold Stone" was so entertaining to little Spin.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't brought my WM tickets yet, if we get Sami Vs. Bryan at WM. You will have my money WWE.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Vividly remember watching an episode of WWF Prime Time wrestling (90 or 91) - I believe Gorilla and Bobby are the host. I wanted those action figures in the center. Discovered the Golden Era guys like Warrior, Hogan, Million Dollar man, etc. Hooked after that.
hqdefault.jpg

Rented Royal Rumble 90 from Blockbuster
220px-Royal_Rumble_1990.jpg

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped over the Lacey Evans/Heavy Machinery segment, but both of those gimmicks feel like they were pulled straight from the New Generation era.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Njpw pays pretty well it seems

Both Gallows and Anderson mentioned how they did not earn much money in wrestling when they first began wrestling and Karl mentioned that he would make from $8 to $25 working local shows. He was then asked about his time in New Japan Pro Wrestling and Anderson shared that he went from making $5000 to around the $55,000 mark in the span of a year.

"You know man, I was there for eight years. When I first signed that contract in 2008 it was the coolest thing that ever happened. It was the first time that I started getting paid, because I did it from 2002… I went from probably $5000 in 2007 to making probably $55,000 in 2008 and that was like I just struck gold." Anderson laughed. "Then each year the contract got better and by the end we were pulling some bank

Status
Not open for further replies.