• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
WWE is making billions, the only way AEW is going to compete is if Khan throws around these big deals. Or else everyone just fucks off to NXT like before.

As for the WCW comparisons... WCW stealing talent from WWF was fine. Paying the talent more than WWF would pay them was fine. AEW just needs to avoid the whole... implosion thing.

There is no Hogan, Hall and Nash in this scenario that will completely fuck everything up for the promotion. Kenny isn't coming in 2 hours before showtime going "I ain't doing the job, brother." Cody isn't showing up fucked up on vodka and pills. Matt Jackson isn't no showing because he doesn't want to do the job. There is no scenario in 2019 where 4 workhorses from AEW feel they aren't treated well and ESCAPE TO WWE FOR BETTER TREATMENT. And there certainly ain't no Vince Russo.

AEW currently is set up to be everything good about WCW with none of the bad. Now it's up to them to not fuck it up.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WWE is making billions, the only way AEW is going to compete is if Khan throws around these big deals. Or else everyone just fucks off to NXT like before.

As for the WCW comparisons... WCW stealing talent from WWF was fine. Paying the talent more than WWF would pay them was fine. AEW just needs to avoid the whole... implosion thing.

There is no Hogan, Hall and Nash in this scenario that will completely fuck everything up for the promotion. Kenny isn't coming in 2 hours before showtime going "I ain't doing the job, brother." Cody isn't showing up fucked up on vodka and pills. Matt Jackson isn't no showing because he doesn't want to do the job. There is no scenario in 2019 where 4 workhorses from AEW feel they aren't treated well and ESCAPE TO WWE FOR BETTER TREATMENT. And there certainly ain't no Vince Russo.

AEW currently is set up to be everything good about WCW with none of the bad. Now it's up to them to not fuck it up.
They aren't gonna compete by Khan throwing millions at people with no television drawing power whatsoever

data west

Oct 25, 2017
also hot dhotin

Except for the part where everyone knows wrestling is fake now and the built-in audience is significantly smaller.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious in which is the potential market for AEW. Some fans always claim that there is a huge market of former wrestling fans that dropped wrestling since 2002 that are waiting for an alternative, but I feel that those fans are done with wrestling as a whole, unless suddenly the industry becomes a cultural phenom like once was.

Then I don't how much of the actual fans who watch the weekly WWE shows want to see a new alternative or if they just watch the product for tradition.

With all things considered, I think that a 1.0 rating would be a huge success as long as their tv deal doesn't ask for better ratings than the WWE
I concur the feeling that a chunk of the former wrestling fan market isn't really in for the full blown grappling action.
Every now and then some of my friends may pick up the network for rumble/mania season and trying to even convince them to give the latest NXT takeover a look is like pulling teeth.

AEW seems more to appeal to the kind of lapsed fans who would've been drawn into WWE more by the Punk/Bryan stint in my mind, if that makes any sense.
The monday night wars crowd is a product of its time, as you say, to regain that kind of wrestling traction there would have to be a proper wrestling boom again.

Ps: that avatar, god dammit, it gets me every time.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Low key best moment of New Beginning is Ibushi making women sob uncontrollably when announcing his decision to stay

data west

Oct 25, 2017
DxMY2L3VAAALunf.jpeg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got to actually see the match....

Holy shit maybe it's more my style than y'alls but I fucking loved it.

Great finish....

Incredible selling from Tanahashi

Reminded me of Boddy Roode vs Nakamura but like 3 times better

Fucking fantastic.

Like I knew the result but still marked out ta the finish as if i didn't
That TTO spot was incredible, Tana's face

Jay White is a fucking star.

I love love love that the Blade Runner is a fucking death sentence.... And it looks fucking gorgeous too.... High Fly Flow into Blade Runner... man fucking aces all around

Mega stars to this match brahs.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't gonna compete by Khan throwing millions at people with no television drawing power whatsoever

the whole point is to create an aura around the AEW brand. Just like WCW, it'll be the place with a billionaire in charge throwing around that cash money like it's no ones business. newcomers don't have to automatically take the NXT deal. midcarders in WWE that feel they are being under utilized/under paid have somewhere else to go. we are already seeing it and the promotion hasn't even officially had a show yet.

also hot dhotin

Except for the part where everyone knows wrestling is fake now and the built-in audience is significantly smaller.

not sure how that contradicts my post

AEW has all of the personnel in place to produce a good wrestling product. Like WCW in its prime.

if you're arguing that the smaller built in audience means AEW has a low chance of being successful... built in audience being smaller doesn't really mean shit when it comes to live content in the modern era. wwe is doing numbers worse than 2000 WCW and getting a billion dollar tv deal out of it. AEW is on the verge of getting the best non WWE tv deal since WCW went under.

they're going to do fine. also helps that they're selling out arenas before they've even aired one show on tv.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It was very NWA.... I love love love work the body matches.... and all the knee work paid off in the end.

Have no idea why folks are meh on this match but people aren't as big on Roode/Nakarmua I and II as I am.... so to each their own

Tana is Lesnar level selling.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was very NWA.... I love love love work the body matches.... and all the knee work paid off in the end.

Have no idea why folks are meh on this match but people aren't as big on Roode/Nakarmua I and II as I am.... so to each their own

Tana is Lesnar level selling.

I am high on both of those matches

And I'm only slightly high on this one

So those two things are unrelated

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole point is to create an aura around the AEW brand. Just like WCW, it'll be the place with a billionaire in charge throwing around that cash money like it's no ones business. newcomers don't have to automatically take the NXT deal. midcarders in WWE that feel they are being under utilized/under paid have somewhere else to go. we are already seeing it and the promotion hasn't even officially had a show yet.

not sure how that contradicts my post

AEW has all of the personnel in place to produce a good wrestling product. Like WCW in its prime.

if you're arguing that the smaller built in audience means AEW has a low chance of being successful... built in audience being smaller doesn't really mean shit when it comes to live content in the modern era. wwe is doing numbers worse than 2000 WCW and getting a billion dollar tv deal out of it. AEW is on the verge of getting the best non WWE tv deal since WCW went under.

they're going to do fine. also helps that they're selling out arenas before they've even aired one show on tv.
#5years

Last edited:

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered a Becky shirt, but now I can't think of any occasion in which it would be appropriate to wear.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I am high on both of those matches

And I'm only slightly high on this one

So those two things are unrelated

I do think there's some overlap.

I thought the match was built perfectly and the end was a direct result of everything that came before it, on top of selling the Blade Runner as the star killer, it killed Okada in one shot, it killed Tana in one shot.

Also big ups that they did some heel interference but Tana almost always got the better, even when Gedo tried to distract before a High Fly Flow ,Tana still hit it, Jay White won clean, he cheated not because he had to but because he's a massive dickhead, massive improvement over his G1 shenanigans

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the best non wwe tv deal could mean a lot of things, it could be either a huge deal like the ones that the WWE used to get in the last decade or it could mean an slightly better deal than the one that TNA got in SPIKE, and in both cases it would be right

That being said, the Khan's doesn't strike me as these dumb money marks like Dixie Carter was, so I'm sure that they are 100% sure that the investment is justified

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
On the AEW contracts, keep in mind that $100k guaranteed now is like $60k/year in 1995 money due to inflation. If that doesn't include a baseline for travel expenses (hotel, transportation) or a baseline allowance for gear it's less in real money.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the AEW contracts, keep in mind that $100k guaranteed now is like $60k/year in 1995 money due to inflation. If that doesn't include a baseline for travel expenses (hotel, transportation) or a baseline allowance for gear it's less in real money.

The numbers being thrown around aren't $100k

This ain't six figures on a technicality

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also Callis kept wondering why White would sometimes shift to the head and neck region instead of continuing his attack on the knee, he'd say stay on the knee... but I thought there was some subtle brilliance here, White was yes destroying Tana's knee, weakning his offensive skills and making it more difficult to hit the High Fly Flow for example, but he was also softening up the parts of the body that get damaged by the Blade Runner, all those Saito suplexes all the stuff on the outside with the barricade and ring appron, all that was to put Tana in a place where if he got hit by the Blade Runner he'd stay down, it was Plan B (or even Plan A possibly) if Tana wouldn't tap to the TTO

White was laser focused on what he was doing and why he was doing it. They're really booking Swtichbalde as a wrestler who has high ring IQ.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Grain of salt and all that. From WrestleTalk who are hit and miss.

AEW's first show Double or Nothing (which is expected to sell out instantly based on pre-sale sign ups on the group's website) will take place on May 25 at the MGM Grand Arena. That much we already know. The promotion has also previously announced there will be a Jacksonville show in July. Other than that though, we haven't officially heard of any other shows being planned.

However, having spoken to a source very close to AEW, we can exclusively reveal that the current planned schedule is the following:

• May 25 – Double Or Nothing at the MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas
  • June 2019 – Unspecified show (believed to be in USA)
  • July 2019 – Unnamed show in Jacksonville, Florida with a portion of the proceeds going to anti-gun crime charities
  • August 2019 – Royal Albert Hall, London, England
  • September 2019 – All Out – the official sequel to All In and the full launch of the brand prior to TV tapings beginning. We understand that while not yet confirmed, this is again likely to take place at the Sears Center in Chicago
  • October 2019 – Weekly television starts

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Running in August in the UK when NJPW announced a big show for the UK also in August

lol let's be friends

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A t shit with bold letters that say THE MAN seems like the kind of thing you wear when you play the heel in a arty local play about feminism and toxic masculinity.
I actually was thinking that while it's a pretty cool shirt for Becky herself to wear, it's ridiculous for 90% of the audience to wear unless they are literally at a wrestling show where it's implicitly understood what the shirt is.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It;s going to be interesting....All In and DorN are selling out because they're marquee fly ins, you start doing monthly.... gonna be a challenge.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Meltzer and Alvarez were having an interesting conversation on WOR a day or two ago where they were talking about the best approach to TV for AEW. Meltzer seemed to be more in favor of 1-2 TV shows per month in order to prevent oversaturation of talent and to keep things fresh, while Alvarez was in favor of a weekly one hour TV show with a "big show" on a monthly basis. I couldn't help but agree with Meltzer, as the oversaturation of wrestling (in terms of the number of TV hours per week and also how accessible/available wrestlers are on social media and such) has kinda made wrestlers in recent years feel less special and less like big attractions compared to how things were in the 90's. People will obviously argue that the industry was inevitably trending toward all of this anyways, but it's interesting to consider both approaches

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A t shit with bold letters that say THE MAN seems like the kind of thing you wear when you play the heel in a arty local play about feminism and toxic masculinity.

It also pointlessly has Becky's fucking awful Starbucks logo in a cricle at the end

So instead of THE MAN
it says

THE MAN.

Imaging if
AUSTIN
3:16

Was

AUSTIN
3:16.

And the period was a little skull. LOL

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017

This match is gonna be ridiculously good but it's also during STARDOM, RevPro, and WWN Supershow so I hope there's a good local turnout in Jersey

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer and Alvarez were having an interesting conversation on WOR a day or two ago where they were talking about the best approach to TV for AEW. Meltzer seemed to be more in favor of 1-2 TV shows per month in order to prevent oversaturation of talent and to keep things fresh, while Alvarez was in favor of a weekly one hour TV show with a "big show" on a monthly basis. I couldn't help but agree with Meltzer, as the oversaturation of wrestling (in terms of the number of TV hours per week and also how accessible/available wrestlers are on social media and such) has kinda made wrestlers in recent years feel less special and less like big attractions compared to how things were in the 90's. People will obviously argue that the industry was inevitably trending toward all of this anyways, but it's interesting to consider both approaches

You need regularity in TV. Every other week would be a mistake from an audience-building perspective. There's a reason every show on television airs weekly. Sometimes breaking the norms makes sense and sometimes they are norms for a well-learned reason.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need regularity in TV. Every other week would be a mistake from an audience-building perspective. There's a reason every show on television airs weekly. Sometimes breaking the norms makes sense and sometimes they are norms for a well-learned reason.
Meltzer has an extremely high degree of self-confidence in almost everything he says, but you kinda have to know when he's just talking out his ass and when he knows what he's talking about IMO

foggy

Oct 25, 2017

I prefer that approach too, but I'd imagine that could only swing on a digital platform like Amazon. I don't think a network/cable channel is interested in anything other than a weekly show.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wishes Josh Barnett was still doing NJPW on AXS so we could hear him have to call White's IWGP win.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

No they need to be weekly. But I don't know that they need a Pay Per View level show every month. Every three months might be better, unless they just immediately fucking sell out every show.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I absolutely hated this discussion. Especially when they were arguing about taped vs live content.

If it isn't live I don't give a shit. I have a hard time watching taped stuff. I only give NXT a look if there's nothing else to watch or for me to do. I want to see the botches, dumb shit wrestlers say, and genuine crowd reactions, not a filtered/cleaned up product.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have we talked yet about Dave's weird logic that because AEW got 12,000 presale code requests that they could sell 50,000 tickets if they had the space

Because we should definitely talk about that

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No they need to be weekly. But I don't know that they need a Pay Per View level show every month. Every three months might be better, unless they just immediately fucking sell out every show.

Yeah, this doesn't work if they aren't a bankable weekly draw. But the big PPV shows should be at most 4-6 per year, just so they retain their specialness.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
ha, damn. I think I paid around that much for my flight to New Orleans last year

Cool idea for a twitter

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have we talked yet about Dave's weird logic that because AEW got 12,000 presale code requests that they could sell 50,000 tickets if they had the space

Because we should definitely talk about that
Meltzer is probably hurting AEW at this point by consistently hyping more than AEW can realistically deliver. The point of wrestling is underpromising, but overdelivering in a way live, legitimate sports can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.