• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hated this discussion. Especially when they were arguing about taped vs live content.

If it isn't live I don't give a shit. I have a hard time watching taped stuff. I only give NXT a look if there's nothing else to watch or for me to do. I want to see the botches, dumb shit wrestlers say, and genuine crowd reactions, not a filtered/cleaned up product.

.....Is this the logic behind people wanting to see live product? 'Cause it's awful.

Yeah, this doesn't work if they aren't a bankable weekly draw. But the big PPV shows should be at most 4-6 per year, just so they retain their specialness.

Exaaaactly. We can say they aren't in competition with WWE, but they definitely need to carve out enough of a space to justify having a billionaire invested in their product.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
You need regularity in TV. Every other week would be a mistake from an audience-building perspective. There's a reason every show on television airs weekly. Sometimes breaking the norms makes sense and sometimes they are norms for a well-learned reason.
Yeah, I know it's not realistic to expect a bi-weekly or monthly TV show, but in an ideal world, that would be my preference since I guess I don't have confidence in the booking of almost any promotion at this point to competently book on a week-to-week basis.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I think AEW could run Royal Albert Hall in London before their TV starts and be fine. But having a show in June before Jacksonville in July, London in August, Chicago in September seems like too much unless the June/Jacksonville shows are smaller.

Granted I don't blame them if they do since they've got a roster to pay, but it'll hurt them after September if they satisfy hardcore demand before they grow their fanbase.

Meltzer and Alvarez were having an interesting conversation on WOR a day or two ago where they were talking about the best approach to TV for AEW. Meltzer seemed to be more in favor of 1-2 TV shows per month in order to prevent oversaturation of talent and to keep things fresh, while Alvarez was in favor of a weekly one hour TV show with a "big show" on a monthly basis. I couldn't help but agree with Meltzer, as the oversaturation of wrestling (in terms of the number of TV hours per week and also how accessible/available wrestlers are on social media and such) has kinda made wrestlers in recent years feel less special and less like big attractions compared to how things were in the 90's. People will obviously argue that the industry was inevitably trending toward all of this anyways, but it's interesting to consider both approaches

Meltzer & Garrett Gonzalez (who I already like way, way better than Bryan) both agreed on last night's show that they absolutely have to have weekly TV to build up new stars.

Meltzer and Alvarez were having an interesting conversation on WOR a day or two ago where they were talking about the best approach to TV for AEW. Meltzer seemed to be more in favor of 1-2 TV shows per month in order to prevent oversaturation of talent and to keep things fresh, while Alvarez was in favor of a weekly one hour TV show with a "big show" on a monthly basis. I couldn't help but agree with Meltzer, as the oversaturation of wrestling (in terms of the number of TV hours per week and also how accessible/available wrestlers are on social media and such) has kinda made wrestlers in recent years feel less special and less like big attractions compared to how things were in the 90's. People will obviously argue that the industry was inevitably trending toward all of this anyways, but it's interesting to consider both approaches

I'm team 1 week tv 2 hours and 4 big shows every 3 months, adjust a year after.

I think that is the best of both worlds and can make tv seems important.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
WWE and AEW are bidding for Batista

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Dave Bautista is in talks with WWE for a match at WrestleMania 35, but it's not set in stone yet … and another company is expressing interest.

According to multiple sources, the "Guardians of the Galaxy" star is deep in talks with WWE about a return on "The Grandest Stage of Them All."

However, we're told he's 50/50 on returning at this point based on how talks have gone.

In addition to this, we're told there's been interest expressed to Dave from All Elite Wrestling and he isn't turning them away. Our sources say he's listening to what both companies have to offer.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/dave-bautista-talks-wwe-wrestlemania/

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
AEW getting Batista would be hilarious

There's no way it happens, he's just gonna use it to finally get WWE to pull the trigger on him for god knows why

Batista shows up on AEW and cuts the TNA "WWE exit shoot" promo, but it's on Disney

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Question is, who would you even want to see Big Dave face at this stage in his career?
Brainstorming hypothetical mania matches and it's not great.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So I take it that Kota's gonna be the one to end the Cutthroat Era.

Thought it would be most fitting for it to be Naito. Then again it may still be Naito while Kota chases the IC belt and then goes for Naito.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Question is, who would you even want to see Big Dave face at this stage in his career?
Brainstorming hypothetical mania matches and it's not great.

The rumor was Triple H, that's what Batista has been wanting

And it seemed to go out the window when Hunter got hurt, but he's been "rehabbing" hard and is already cleared to train again. So who knows.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Surprised they took the belt off Tana so soon, but I do like this booking of Jay as a heel who comes through on his promises and this habit of limb targeting plus Bladerunner is a really nice touch.

I'm thinking now there are a few possible outcomes, Okada redemption angle this year, probably winning the G1. Also with Ibushi finally committing to NJPW long term I expect him to get at least one shot at the belt.

Jay will probably get at least 1 title defence before dropping the belt, a no defences run would really hurt him so I can't see that happening.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lmao if Naito gets his crowning moment stolen by Ibushi

That's when Gedo really goes in the garbage

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

And it seemed to go out the window when Hunter got hurt, but he's been "rehabbing" hard and is already cleared to train again. So who knows.
I remember that idea and I think it would've gone ahead had Trips not suffered the curse of dealing with blood money.

Batista/Brock could've been a fun novelty, non title that is but that ship has sailed.

Batista vs Joe? perhaps a few years ago that would've been rad.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am highly skeptical of this claim because I don't know that I buy that Batista has nothing else to do, and can be ring ready and build a program in less than 2 months.

Although I have to admit I would laugh a ton at the concept of Batista making his grand return for the second time at WrestleMania only to get the spotlight stolen by a fan-anointed babyface yet again.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh new avatar smell

I went the extra mile for my boy

giphy.gif

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They started that build up a little on that SmackDown 1000 thing, but I'm highly skeptical that even if he's been training that HHH is going to be ready to run a match at WrestleMania.

Knowing WWE, they are going to run Injured HHH vs. Ring Rusty Batista as the main event right beyond Ronda/Becky for a totally heatless match full of bootista chants where they are roundly criticized after-the-fact for refusing to put a much more popular women's angle into the main event less than a month before a Blood Rumble.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fightful is saying Ali is out of the EC match with an injury. No replacement is known at this time.

Super bummer for him.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
2 Days of WK

Ibushi beats Jay

Okada and Naito Draw in the G1 final (double pin or something).

Okada gets Jan 4 shot, beats Ibushi

Naito defends IC belt on Jan 4 loses...

Naito with all the pressure, facing the idea of back to back failure at the Tokyo Dome.... beats Okada on Jan 5.

DESTINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Only thing in that I;d be iffy on is the G1 draw.... but there's a first time for everything

Other option is Naito wins G1 but Okada somehow gets the Jan 4 shot first.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
the TJPW maid cafe crossover event is some grade A creep shit but i'll be damned if I don't want Pom Harajuku serving me poison in my final resting place

Status
Not open for further replies.