• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Because there's no injunction (not yet, anyhow) the Trump administration would not be in contempt if it continued to implement the ACA. Nor, I think, does it need to secure a stay pending appeal -- though I could be wrong about that. Which means that EVERYONE SHOULD STAY CALM.
BACKGROUND:
This case arose directly from Congress's repealing the mandate. These AGs now argue that the rest of the law was "inseverable" from the mandate, and since it's gone the rest of the law has to go, too.

It's a stupid argument because most of the rest of the law can still function without the mandate, especially the pre-existing conditions part, and higher courts will likely rule as much.

The decision will be stayed and appealed quickly.

This judge very likely sat on this decision for weeks so as not to hurt the GOP in the midterms.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which case is this? I can't keep all of the cases against the ACA straight

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
What's the longterm consequence of this? Is there actually a path for them to repeal the ACA through the Supreme Court now?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Um..the Supreme Court already ruled on the ACA and the indivdual mandate and declared it legal.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
What's the longterm consequence of this? Is there actually a path for them to repeal the ACA through the Supreme Court now?
Technically yes, but Roberts upheld the ACA in 2012. Kennedy voted against it.

Again, the mandate was repealed in the Tax Act and would've expired in a few weeks anyway, but it's likely Roberts would again uphold the rest of the law.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Um..the Supreme Court already ruled on the ACA and the indivdual mandate and declared it legal.
This case arose directly from Congress's repealing the mandate. These AGs now argue that the rest of the law was "inseverable" from the mandate, and since it's gone the rest of the law has to go, too.

It's a stupid argument because most of the rest of the law can still function without the mandate, especially the pre-existing conditions part, and higher courts will likely rule as much.

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, didn't the Supreme Court already rule that the individual mandate wasn't unconstitutional? How did they overturn the Supreme Court decision?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lmao I knew as soon as midterms were over, they'd get right back on this. And yep.

So many people I know need the ACA. There's still people that don't know that ObamaCare is the same thing.
Somehow, tho, the ACA has been standing the test of time and a GOP controlled everything and I am extremely thankful for that. It's kind of incredible.

Good luck, fucks!

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, didn't the Supreme Court already rule that the individual mandate wasn't unconstitutional? How did they overturn the Supreme Court decision?
this is some dumb argument that 1) now that the mandate has no penalty it cannot be considered a tax, 2) therefore the mandate is unconstitutional, 3) you can't separate the mandate from the rest of the ACA, therefore THE ENTIRE LAW IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
So is this just a symbolic taint cuddle for the GOP?
Basically. The argument is stupid on its face, and Roberts + the liberals will likely rule against it if it even makes it to SCOTUS. (A lower appeals court may invalidate the ruling, and SCOTUS could just refuse the case and let that ruling stand.)

And as the OP says, the judge hasn't issued an injunction (yet), meaning the ACA can continue to be administered. And once an appeal is lodged, a higher court will very likely stay this judge's order and prevent the ACA from ever going offline.

It's GOP political theater and red meat.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Well, time to start bookmarking any debate clips where Hillary Clinton tried to warn everyone that this would happen also.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Roberts will manhandle whoever he has to in order to not even have this case heard if this ruling is invalidated later and that's the state the ruling is in when it inevitably makes it to the SCOTUS's door.

We were closer to the ACA going completely way last year in the Senate.

Oct 30, 2017

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
GOP will need to see their doctor on account of their erections lasting for hours, at the prospect of millions losing healthcare, going bankrupt, and being screwed over by lack of protection for pre-existing conditions. They even flat out lied during the midterms to say their proposals would protect people with pre-existing conditions.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was exactly how I expected this case to go, and this is still absolutely maddening. (I know it will be stayed and appealed.)

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
The individual mandate would've expired on January 1 anyway.
But that's precisely why the judge ruled this way. Republicans couldn't pass a bill to remove the mandate so they made the mandate zero dollars through budget bill, so they then argue it's no longer a tax, which is how the mandate was held up before.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
But that's precisely why the judge ruled this way. Republicans couldn't pass a bill to remove the mandate so they made the mandate zero dollars through budget bill, so they then argue it's no longer a tax, which is how the mandate was held up before.
Hence my explaining as much in the OP. :)

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks. I get confused with the lingo they use sometimes. Probably also because I'm super tired after a terribly long work week, ya frifray!

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Despicable. I mean if you're a judge how do you even attempt something like that knowing how many people it would screw over? Man, people can justify anything in their own mind.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On August 21, 2016, O'Connor made a ruling against the Obama administration dealing with the government's interpretation of Title IX rules. The guidance from the White House was issued in May 2016, and addresses the Title IX requirement that schools receiving federal funding not discriminate against students on the basis of sex. O'Connor ruled that the new guidelines did not receive proper notice and comment prior to publication, and that Title IX and its implementing regulation are "not ambiguous" as to the "plain meaning of the term sex as used". As such, he issued a nationwide injunction preventing them from being enforced with respect to students' access to "intimate facilities."[2]​

On December 31, 2016, in a separate case, O'Connor blocked the Obama administration's regulations implementing Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (prohibiting sex discrimination in federally funded health programs) for a "likely" violation of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and what he said was an improper inclusion of gender identity discrimination.[3]​

On October 5, 2018, O'Connor overturned 250 years of Indian sovereignty law and ruled that the Indian Child Welfare Act was unconstitutional. The ICWA was a 40-year-old landmark piece of legislation protecting tribal children from exploitation, designed to keep Native families together, and inspired by an attempt to reverse decades of state courts stripping Native children away from Native families. O'Connor's ruling ignored decades of direct federal government-to-government relationship and precedent that have upheld tribal sovereignty and the rights of Indian children and families.​

Typical Republican activist judge.

Also, his ruling will definitely be overturned. It's perfectly within Congress's authority to set a tax to 0.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow... Was not expecting this. The judge must have withheld this ruling till after the midterms.

Pure evil. Sometimes... evil wins. Elections have consequences.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Furthermore, the SC's ruling wasn't that the bill is constitutional because there's a non-zero penalty, but that the use of a penalty constitutes a tax on economic activity, as authorized under the Taxing and Spending Clause. Setting that penalty to 0 doesn't change anything

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Basically. The argument is stupid on its face, and Roberts + the liberals will likely rule against it if it even makes it to SCOTUS. (A lower appeals court may invalidate the ruling, and SCOTUS could just refuse the case and let that ruling stand.)

And as the OP says, the judge hasn't issued an injunction (yet), meaning the ACA can continue to be administered. And once an appeal is lodged, a higher court will very likely stay this judge's order and prevent the ACA from ever going offline.

It's GOP political theater and red meat.
So what happens to my insurance is the judge issues an injunction against the law. Without the subsidy I straight up can't afford my insurance.

Man, GOP are full scum.

Also There are plenty of republicans like Tomi Lauren who take advantage of being on their parents insurance yet champion killing the ACA. Do they not realize it'll hurt them also?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Luckily Republicans haven't spent the last two years ramming through as many absurdly conservative justices as possible, some of whom make this guy look like a centrist! Then we'd really be looking at decades of judicial bullshit like this!

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens to my insurance is the judge issues an injunction against the law. Without the subsidy I straight up can't afford my insurance.
The ACA will likely not be enjoined; in fact, it can't be once a higher court issues a stay on this judge's order.

I won't tell you not to worry because the thought of losing insurance is deeply frightening, but as of this moment it looks as though you should be okay.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ACA will likely not be enjoined; in fact, it can't be once a higher court issues a stay on this judge's order.

I won't tell you not to worry because the thought of losing insurance is deeply frightening, but as of this moment it looks as though you should be okay.
This judge didn't even issue an injunction because he knows his ruling is bullshit

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda confusing to me. What happens now?

It gets appealed, we wait to see higher court opinions while ACA keeps functioning like it is. The law is safe unless it goes all the way to SCOTUS who would need to rule against it. If the court above this Texas dickhead reverses him then SCOTUS can just refuse to hear the case and it's safe. If it goes to SCOTUS then it would be hopeful that Roberts would side with liberals like he did last time, Kennedy voted against it in 2012 so Kavanugh voting same as him doesn't necessarily guarantee anything if Roberts does what he did in 2012. Do not panic yet

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It gets appealed, we wait to see higher court opinions while ACA keeps functioning like it is. The law is safe unless it goes all the way to SCOTUS who would need to rule against it. If the court above this Texas dickhead reverses him then SCOTUS can just refuse to hear the case and it's safe. If it goes to SCOTUS then it would be hopeful that Roberts would side with liberals like he did last time, Kennedy voted against it in 2012 so Kavanugh voting same as him doesn't necessarily guarantee anything if Roberts does what he did in 2012. Do not panic yet
Thank you for the explanation. So it sounds like it's pretty safe, or at least has a good shot at being safe

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the explanation. So it sounds like it's pretty safe, or at least has a good shot at being safe

I mean crazier shit has happened and I haven't fully researched the lawsuit but my general understanding is that it's on very shaky legal ground and the fact that this judge didn't put an injunction to put ACA on hold kinda points to that. He held the decision for months just to avoid impacting the mid terms, he's a republican ideologue.

I tend to think it's safe but we shall see. Fingers fucking crossed

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't fucking believe how badly and how persistently these Republican shitbags want me to not be able to afford healthcare.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean crazier shit has happened and I haven't fully researched the lawsuit but my general understanding is that it's on very shaky legal ground and the fact that this judge didn't put an injunction to put ACA on hold kinda points to that. He held the decision for months just to avoid impacting the mid terms, he's a republican ideologue.

I tend to think it's safe but we shall see. Fingers fucking crossed
Imagine being dedicated to a cause that helps people instead of killing them

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"If we make the individual mandate unenforceable because there's no penalty, then that makes the individual mandate unconstitutional, and that makes everything about the ACA, from the medicaid expansion to the insurance exchanges to the CSRs to the standards of care and insurance classifications unconstitutional" might be the most bullshit argument to come from the government this year, and that's with Trump being around.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can solve their demographic and gerrymandering problems by just killing Dem voters.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I think some people in here are downplaying the real threat this ruling and lawsuit is to the ACA.

In 2012 John Roberts (and a majority of the court) ruled Obamacare unconstitutional under the Commerce clause. However, he did not trash the whole law because he ruled it was legal as a tax.

Now the tax is gone, and with it the justification for why ACA/Obamacare is constitutional.

Of course, striking down Obamacare would be a highly controversial move and perhaps Roberts would be reluctant to do so. He could fear for the courts legitimacy. But unless he changes his mind there likely are 5 votes on the Supreme Court right now to declare the ACA is unconstitutional.

Last edited: