• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-foster-agency-sued-for-turning-down-catholic

A Catholic mother says a federally funded South Carolina foster agency abruptly stopped working with her and won't allow her to foster children because she's "not the right kind of Christian."
In a federal lawsuit filed Friday, Aimee Maddonna and her lawyers say Miracle Hill Ministries is unconstitutionally discriminating against non-Protestants. The lawsuit challenges a waiver granted this year to the Greenville agency, which previously has come under fire for denying services to same-sex couples and non-Christian families.
Last year, South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster requested a waiver exempting the state from an Obama-era regulation preventing publicly licensed and funded foster care agencies from servicing specific religions. That request was granted last month.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Secularism really shouldn't be this hard...
And more importantly should be the obvious default 100% of the time, even if it wasn't easy.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
When my ex and I were trying to adopt from Texas CPS our case worker seemed noticeably disappointed that we weren't part of a church community that they could use for references. I don't know it for certain, but I got the impression that it was a huge mark against us that we weren't religious.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
When my ex and I were trying to adopt from Texas CPS our case worker seemed noticeably disappointed that we weren't part of a church community that they could use for references. I don't know it for certain, but I got the impression that it was a huge mark against us that we weren't religious.

Considering you are now "exes", I would say you both dodged a bullet :P Raising a kid with two parents is tough enough, one alone is ridiculously hard!

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, nothing more truthful to your religion than refusing to help anyone who doesn't believe in the exact same things you do. I'm sure that's what your "God" wanted.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Evangelicals are one of the worst, if not the worst, sects of Christianity.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
White evangelicals are the worst. Separation of church and state. It's not that hard.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Evangelicals is one of the worst, if not the worst, sects of Christianity.

Evangelical is not a monolith, but by and large, they are fervent bordering on fanatical and they make many choices that are not founded in "love thy neighbor," "turn the other cheek," "love those who despise you." and "charity is the pure love of god."

amongst pretty much every one of Christ's other teachings. It would be comical if it wasn't so scary and sad for believers of Christ who do roll up their sleeves and take care of the poor, love everyone equally, and so forth.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Even turning down atheist families would go against the teachings of Jesus so this is hilariously highly hypocritical of them.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Evangelicals is one of the worst, if not the worst, sects of Christianity.

Yup. Also the whiniest. Other denominations (Catholic, Baptist etc) keep to themselves, evangelicals are all 'They are trying to kill us, our religion, our babies!'.

There's also their take on prosthelytizing in third world countries which is basically modern attempts at colonialism

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
These are the types of agencies that I believe have been used by the government to relocate children separated at the border. It's a "feature" that these kids are placed in white, conservative, evangelical homes and never returned to their rightful parents.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The Catholic Church has little grounds to defend its parishioners against actions like these since they've pulled their foster care agencies out of states that required equitable foster care placements to same sex couples. And refuse such placements where they still have foster care agencies. One reason I'll never support Catholic Charities.

This type of discrimination is terrible and should not be tolerated by the federal or state governments.

Lots of kids languish in group homes due to a lack of willing people to be foster parents, and the same goes for kids waiting to be adopted with a lack of willing adoptive parents.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
How does the mother have a case based off the last two sentences of the OP? Sounds like they recently got a waiver and can discriminate like this (not that I agree).

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
How does the mother have a case based off the last two sentences of the OP? Sounds like they recently got a waiver and can discriminate like this (not that I agree).

The a waiver may have been granted, but that does not mean that the waiver passed Constitutional muster necessarily.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Considering you are now "exes", I would say you both dodged a bullet :P Raising a kid with two parents is tough enough, one alone is ridiculously hard!

Oh, I know. I was lucky in the end, but it still feels wrong to me that a federally-funded adoption agency placed so much emphasis on the importance of being part of a church.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Catholics vs. Protestants

It's like 1517 all over again.
Well, no, considering the "founders" of Protestantism(Luther, Zwelingli, Calvin) still largely considered themselves Catholic until about 1521 with Luther's excommunication.

But yes, it's hilarious to watch it repeat itself again for the billionth time