• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Mugy

When was the last time you actually feel happy while playing a videogame? Anyway of happiness, like smiling while playing, laughing at whatever happens in-game, or just enjoy the game to the point you feel its was fun to play it and you end up smiling everytime you think about that game or moment in it.

In my case, i feel like this everytime i'll listen to the Rayman Origins OST and play the game. The way the recreated Rayman movements and his smile really makes me feel like the character its actually happy in the game!

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Overcooked! Playing with my wife and/or friends who aren't as big into gaming is always a pleasure. It's surprisingly addictive too!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher III,
drunk scene at Kaer Morhen.

Legitimately hilarious and entertaining.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The twins in World of Final Fantasy always got me crackin' up.

Most recently, there are a couple feel good moments in-between the ultra drama of Life Is Strange: BtS Episode 2.

Oct 27, 2017
The intros to Forza Horizon 2 and 3; they both give a great sense of introducing the scope of the game world while teaching game mechanics in a very short time.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, these one really did it for me recently. I feel like it's been happening more in the last 2-3 years than it did since I was a kid. I don't know if games are getting better for my taste, if I'M changing / becoming easier to please, or both.

Breath of the Wild - Smiled like an idiot every time I made a discovery I didn't expect in the game, such as cooking something new or solving a puzzle in some unintended way, which happened pretty much every 3 seconds in that game.

Mario Odyssey - This whole game just figured out how to inject happiness directly into my brain, somehow.

FFXV - I loved the world and characters, and I couldn't believe I finally got to play it. The music alone brings the feels out of me.

The Witcher 3- Something about the way they built this world, the story, and the characters just clicked with me. It felt like getting a whole serialized TV show at once, but I got to roleplay as the main character. It was an incredible experience and I just couldn't believe I got to experience it. It felt like a game like this shouldn't be possible, but I was so glad to get to play it. It has flaws, but I was too happy about everything else to care.

Horizon Zero Dawn- Similar to Witcher 3, I just loved the world to bits. I didn't like the writing and characters as much, but some aspects of the story really got me (the whole concept of what happened, and where the world is is SO interesting to me). I loved Aloy too... and the visuals and music were so beautiful, it just felt incredible to get around that world. I cannot wait to play the DLC.

DKC Tropical Freeze- I've wanted a DKC game to rival DKC2, my favorite game of all time. I still can't comprehend the fact that we got that now. David Wise is a genius, and Retro Studios are one of the greatest developers to grace this earth. I cannot wait for what they're making next.

I like this thread, typing this up was a good reminder of how damn good video games are.

Deleted member 11002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I second Overcooked. I've had some great times with friends playing that.

Sort of different, but I had a similar experience with Abzu. There was a fire in me and my fiance's apartment building and we lost almost everything. (I was able to save my PC, PS4, and games, and record collection.) We had to move into my old bedroom at my Dad's while we figured things out, and after about a month I finally had a night to relax and play a video game for the first time since the fire and I picked Abzu. It was such a meditative experience for me. It was so nice to be able to sort of disconnect from all the chaos and fallout of the fire and transport myself into such a calm and serene place that I beat the game in one sitting and was in a significantly better mood after. That game will always hold a special little place in my heart for that reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This year, I've felt joy during gaming more than any time in recent memory.

Multiple times I excitedly woke up early, brewed some coffee and sat down with a huge smile just dying to spend some time progressing a video game. I felt like a kid again. Nier Automata, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 are the titles where I experienced this.
The Last Guardian last year qualifies too.

Exploring the world in Nier Automata, with that insane ost is the peak memory. Especially visiting the amusement park for the first time.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising
The Wonderful 101
Kirby games
Super Mario Odyssey

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This year, I've felt joy during gaming more than any time in recent memory.

Multiple times I excitedly woke up early, brewed some coffee and sat down with a huge smile just dying to spend some time progressing a video game. I felt like a kid again. Nier Automata, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 are the titles where I experienced this.
Last Guardian last year probably qualifies too.

Gah. Agreed! Games are really good these days... and as someone who agrees with you for both TLG and Persona 5, I can't wait to dive into Nier and Yakuza which are both still waiting for me on my console hard drive :D

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Super Mario Odyssey without a doubt

It's the definition of pure joy, and whenever I'm playing I cannot help but smile the whole fucking time

Ludono

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all Nintendo games. They give you that sense of joy you just don't get elsewhere.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Weirdly enough, the last time that this happened was when I played Watch Dogs 2 on PS4. It should be noted that I've only played RE7, Horizon and Evil Within 2 this year, but nothing made me as genuinely happy as Watch Dogs 2 did, and I wasn't even expecting it with that game.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but that game has so much personality, and as far as I'm concerned, it's open world done right.

lawtowler

Oct 30, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey, my most recent purchase!

Other examples this year - Nioh and Persona 5. I recently bought Zelda and am yet to start it but I have a feeling that'll be another.

Oct 31, 2017
Not to dogpile but...
Mario Odyssey.

Just endless hours of a big grin constantly plastered on my face. As cheesy as this sounds I actually cheered at the ending as well.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3. I would wake up on Saturday morning at 545, pack my bowl, smoke, eat fudge striped cookies and explore for the next 13 hours. It was so much fun.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
There are going to be a lot of Mario Odyssey posts in here.
Yep!
dh3D1us.gif

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Playing a brand spanking new Elder Scrolls game and hearing music like this:

Last edited:

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
LocoRoco Remastered, which came out on PS4 this year, oozes with happiness. Very bright and colorful, and the music has a happy vibe, too.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Two kinds of happiness for me. One kind is the pleasure of playing through some single player games - the latest example being (surprise!) Odyssey. Before that it was probably Yakuza Kiwami. I just felt a sense of homecoming starting that game up (even though my first Yakuza experience was only half a year prior with 0) and I felt that simple happiness that comes with pottering about, ticking off my completion list.

Meanwhile last Saturday night we had friends round and me, my gf and our friends (also a couple) played some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Overcooked together. Playing some couch multiplayer comes together so rarely in this day and age and I was overjoyed to experience some again.

Before that I got to spend some time with my best friend, firstly at his place in my hometown (I live abroad these days) then after he and his gf flew back to Austria with me and stayed at my place for a week. While at home, we played through Streets of Rage II on his Mega Drive II together - we used to play a lot of co-op beat 'em ups back in the day, and before I moved away. Then while he was at my place, after our significant others had retired for the night, we stayed up playing through Fight'n Rage together. First time in an age we did some local co-op together and that also made me very happy.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3. I would wake up on Saturday morning at 545, pack my bowl, smoke, eat fudge striped cookies and explore for the next 13 hours. It was so much fun.
Is it worth getting ? I m thinking about it after it received pro patch. But I do to want to be overwhelmed by it. I feel it will overwhelm me

Ot: south Park. I was laughing much ass off in some scenes

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently? Golf Story & Mario Odyssey.

Last game before that was probably Breath of the Wild. I play a lot of PC games, too, but they're mostly rage-inducing multiplayer experiences so I'm not sure they fit the bill.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but running into Toad in the
Mushroom
Kingdom as
Polygonal
Mario, and hearing him say "Ah just like the good 'ol days made me giggle stupidly and then tear up a bit.

Hwy_61

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Just the back and forth between Chloe and Nadine had me smiling the whole time. The views in that game are incredible.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Super Mario Odyssey is the first time I've felt this way since Mass Effect 2 had me in awe. It's not just that it's fun to play, then I'd consider 3D World and Galaxy 2 as good, but nah man, this game has CHARACTER, it has charm and personality, heart, and all that stuff! You can tell it was made by people that genuinely care about Mario and not just making a well designed game, but delivering an experience.

The emphasis on adventure works so well. It's like Ratchet & Clank but where the level design is way better and the overall progression and surprises are just top notch and polished to a T. The story actually had me invested despite its simplicity. It's just endearing as hell. This game just felt like christmas. Gives me the same kind of happiness as if I started talking to the girl I liked or something like that. It just feels genuine.

thegrantula21

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW made me smile for 130 hours. I remember reading a review from Giant Bomb and they said the game made them feel like a kid again and boy were they right. Every discovery had me grinning with anticipation.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, BOTW and Mario Odyssey.

It's Nintendo magic!

Vankash

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Recently is SMO
It's been 15 yrs since i had my hand on a new Mario (holy shit)
other then that Husky Express. (if someone has the client for it DM me!!)

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Is it worth getting ? I m thinking about it after it received pro patch. But I do to want to be overwhelmed by it. I feel it will overwhelm me

Ot: south Park. I was laughing much ass off in some scenes

Hell yeah its worth getting. Don't let it overwhelm you. Just go at your own pace. There is alot to do but it doesn't all have to be done, and can be done in any order that you want to do it in.

I played it at release on XB1, and would do it all over again on the Pro, or X1X in a heartbeat.