• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Most games I really feel like I'm on auto pilot and I can somewhat feel an "objective" sense of understanding as to whether what I'm playing is good or not and can usually reason it out and feel it was worth the time investment. But lately a lot of games haven't given me pure actual joy like they used to, some people attribute it to age, some people attribute it to depression, I'm not sure to be honest.

But this year I've managed to feel genuine joy playing four games, all for varying reasons:
Breath of the Wild
Nier Automata
Resident Evil 7 (in the VR specifically)
Mario Odyssey

Note that I've played a majority of the major releases on all platforms this year as well, such as Horizon, Persona 5, Nioh, etc.

But it's been a stellar year for games, usually I only feel this way about one or two titles in a given year, sometimes none at all.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
BotW, SMO, Sonic Mania, the Bayonetta games, Nier, the Persona games (played the just last year) and the witcher 3 probably qualify.

My all time fave has to be Super Mario Galaxy, maybe Halo 3 co-op.

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just within this past weekend, Super Mario Odyssey and World of Warcraft.

The whole game is like that with Mario and with WoW I managed to finish a really difficult dungeon and a few hours later got a rare mount drop I'd been farming for almost a year.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Both Thimbleweed Park and West of Loathing have had me in a good mood over the past few weeks. Those games are such fun and the humor's so genuine, I really feel good after spending time in both of those games

BobbyBoulders

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey was the most recent, but I think the most happiness I got from a game this year was Breath of the Wild hands down.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Mario is the obvious choice right now I suppose, but I also couldn't stop grinning during my time with Butcher even on the highest difficulties. That game was such a joy to play (on pc, no idea how it controls on consoles). Fast, relentless, punishing and screens filled with gore. Shooting enemies with the shotgun from below and the ensuing splatterfest never got old. So satisfying.

Platinum games also have me grinning throughout (Bayonetta, Wonderful 101). Every time I replay those games, I'm enjoying them as much as I did the first time through. Ridiculous games, yet great gameplay.

Also, launching insects into space in the Earth Defence Force series never gets old. Never!

And finally, I suppose that many couch co-op games (with true co-op) also have me laughing a lot of the time and just put a grin on my face. Games like Snipperclips and Putty Pals. And Overcooked if things don't turn to shit over and over. :D

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vanquish PC Port, Splatoon 2 and Octopath demo.

I never played Vanquish before but with the release of the pc port, goddamn I loved everything about it. Splatoon 2 is similar as I never played the first but the multiplayer of it was just something that put a smile on my face. Now Octopath demo was the big thing.....the design, the combat, VA, etc. It was all fantastic gave me an actual feeing of excitement when just playing this demo. Definitely the best thing on Switch that does this and in general.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dust: An Elysian Tail - I haven't had a game put such a smile on my face as this game. I just found it to be perfect, especially the first hour or so in the game.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
A Hat In Time!

The game is massively dedicated to crafting a world that's sickeningly adorable and the attention to detail while doing so was really impressive. It's the first game in a very long time I stuck all the way through without getting bored or feeling burnt. It's not perfect, but it was more than good enough that it left good memories.

Nerevarine

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is probably some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. I had a pretty big smile on my face while playing through Persona 5 as well. I really want to say Nier Automata too because its on of my favorite games, but its hard to say I was "genuinely happy" while that game was casually destroying my ability to love.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is an easy pick. Just the options menu from Thimbleweed Park had me smiling/laughing. I was constantly shaking my head in awe/wonder in Breath of the Wild.

Hopefully games make people smile and feel good in general more often than not. :)

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Recently it would be Shadows of War. Some of those Orcs are hilarious. Favorite one was called "The Obvious" he would make a joke or pun and then would have to overly explain it to you. The Knower, and The Brainless were honorable mentions.

Bad Luigi

Oct 27, 2017
The intro to Nier Automata really gave me a rush. I was just smiling like an idiot the whole time as the action escalated.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Saint's Row the 3rd in 2012, and Forza Horizon 2 and Super Mario 3D World in 2014

Just...joy :D Everything else was either too serious or intense, haha

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Cave Story

I played it 4 or 5 years ago it gave me the feeling of being a kid again very happy. I played lots of great cool games since then but none have come close to that experience.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey <3
Just beat the main story over the weekend. The game is so fun, the music is great (that vocal track from the trailer yasss), and it's just so cute in general. It's hard not to smile playing it. :')

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
This is the latest one.

I've been having this sort of. . .disconnect between what I physically and mentally enjoy and what I can actually feel myself deep down inside enjoying hang like a fog over me for a few years now, and even some of the games on this list from other people despite genuinely being some of my favorites ever still can't quite poke past the inner shell of numbness.

When I booted this back up again a few months ago to reexamine my memories and played for a bit, I. . .felt something. For a little moment, I actually felt a little bit of happiness seep all the way into the depths of my soul. It'd been such a long time. . .

Breath of the Wild made me feel a sense of legitimate childlike wonder I hadn't felt in a long time, which was amazing in itself, but I'm not sure I'd call that happiness. . .

I guess a ton of people in this thread love Odyssey. Maybe I should pick it up, I don't know. . .I don't have the nostalgia for Mario a lot of people do. But I can't say I'm not curious. . .

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
Mario Odyssey as well especially:

When I first jumped on the moon. I knew the moon was going to be the last level but I totally did not think about gravity being different. That was just amazing and put a big grin on my face for half an hour.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Super Mario Odyssey this year. Also Blood and Wine, which I just played a few days ago, amazing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey the thread?

I got the game via prime on saturday last week. Played 30 minutes and put it down. The intro was slow and I felt meh. Busy weekend and week so no playtime.
Then I picked it up again this weekend and it was OMFG this is amazing.

There are games I instinctively want to play to progress so my brain will release endorphins (RPGs, grindy gatcha mobile games) but Mario is a game I just want to play to have fun.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
Most games I really feel like I'm on auto pilot and I can somewhat feel an "objective" sense of understanding as to whether what I'm playing is good or not and can usually reason it out and feel it was worth the time investment. But lately a lot of games haven't given me pure actual joy like they used to, some people attribute it to age, some people attribute it to depression, I'm not sure to be honest.
Yeah, I think I feel something similar too. I've grown so cynical with age and while I still enjoy and have fun with games, I rarely feel the same excitement and joy that I got a decade or two ago.

I think the last game that made me feel that euphoria was EDF 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair. It was my first EDF game and it completely took me by surprise. So ridiculous, over the top and just pure fun. Old school in just the right way. Reminded me of the good old days playing console games like Twisted Metal 2 with my friend all day long just laughing our heads off. The complete opposite of the tired old AAA formula where everything has got to be a serious, open world, cinematic game.

Oct 27, 2017
Final Soldier on Wii VC. It's the 2nd time I've beaten a shmup with the continues allowed by the game (not credit-feeding on arcade ports). The first was on Zero Gunner 2. It's no 1CC and the game is considered as easy on the spectrum of like games, but it's something!

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Cuphead. Really enjoyed my time with the game playing co-op with my brother and then finishing the game solo.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Mario Odyssey is in a league of its own. Got me into a state of amazement I didn't even know I could still experience.

Cuphead was also fine until I started swearing at it.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey, had a big stupid grin on my face every time I traveled to a new kingdom.
GoodnaturedRapidCockatiel-max-1mb.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This year has been host to a ton of amazing games, but I was happiest with Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild. I never felt angry or frustrated playing those games, every moment felt like a joy.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
For me, the opening minutes of The Last Guaridian. It was like I was transformed back to the age of wonder of video games. I had last experienced this with Zelda: A link to the past

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
Stardew Valley. You can't help but smile with that soundtrack on while maintaining your crops and livestock.

Rozen

Oct 28, 2017
I played Dark Cloud 2 for the first time on PS4 not too long ago. My girlfriend and I often play games together. She informed me that I was able to pick up enemies I found in dungeons. I ran up to a mouse in one of the first dungeons, picked it up over my head and was shouting about how stupid the mouse was as it wiggled about.

I felt genuinely like a child again in that brief moment. It was so simple yet made me smile so much after.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mario Odyssey, but actually Mario + Rabbids even more! I had so much fun every second I spent in that world. Truly felt like a passion project from beginning to end.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey is definitely the latest one, but I feel that way fairly frequently playing games. Parts of Horizon made me happy and filled me with wonder. Good group hunts in Monster Hunter can be a joy. The revamp of the formula (at least in graph is) in Pokémon X & Y. Lots of things in games make me happy, it's part of why I enjoy them.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross xD. The world is beautiful and colorful, and while it has some dark scenes, for the most part it's upbeat

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just today I've had a few amazing games of Overwatch with really competent, friendly randoms. We were all yelling, communicating, being encouraging... It was really fucking cool.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of MugyWhen was the last time you actually feel happy while playing a videogame? Anyway of happiness, like smiling while playing, laughing at whatever happens in-game, or just enjoy the game to the point you feel its was fun to play it and you end up smiling everytime you think about that game or moment in it.
Persona 5 is possibly the most intense happiness I've had in a game. At the final battle, I could have easily stood up and cheered. Just thinking about it as I type brings the music to mind and makes me emotional.

Mario Odyssey is a current one. Blue Reflection. Last Guardian. Also FIFA18. There are a lot of whiners and bitches posting about FIFA, but I've been playing since launch and it's some of the most fun I've had with a sports game since Play Action Football on the NES.

I think in general, I only play games I enjoy.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh, this pretty much happens with most all the games I play, so the last game to do that would be the game I'm playing now, dothack vol1 infection

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Having played it recently, Undertale made me smile more than I thought it could.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
There are a couple of games that fits the bill actually, but if I my answer has to be the last one I played of them then: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Doom and Rocket League, those games helped keep my interest in this hobbie. After that I go through a burnout fase until the next thing comes around.
I think I should get Switch. I have a huge amount of games on steam I won't even touch because I feel tired just thinking about playing them.
Hoping Ori 2 will rekindle the feel.