• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Mugy

When was the last time you actually feel happy while playing a videogame? Anyway of happiness, like smiling while playing, laughing at whatever happens in-game, or just enjoy the game to the point you feel its was fun to play it and you end up smiling everytime you think about that game or moment in it.

In my case, i feel like this everytime i'll listen to the Rayman Origins OST and play the game. The way the recreated Rayman movements and his smile really makes me feel like the character its actually happy in the game!

This actually happened to me last week while playing Super Mario Odyssey

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Unlocking the triple barrel function for the Gatling gun in DOOM (2016) it has been a while since a weapon or visual been so dang pleasing.

Other times.

Lunar Silver Star Story, when a song cutscene starts
Mario Kart 8, been playing so many dark gitty games during the PS3 era I needed a break. Bought a Wii U and grabbed this, genuinely delighted.
Pokemon Moon. Alola region is just jolly as hell.
Xenogears when the first mechs show up

Bugy52

Oct 25, 2017
Oklahoma
A lot of games.

Elders Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy 14
Forza 7
Destiny 2

Recently been having an incredibly fun time with Rise of the tomb raider.

Honestly, its when a game doesn't make me feel that way that I tend to stop playing it.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't beat Mario Odyssey, but it gives me the same feeling I had while playing BOTW and DOOM. I'm a few hours into Wolfenstein 2 and feel like it's gonna be part of this group.

Oddly enough though, there are a ton of games that haven't really held me in those ways. Trying to get back into Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3 expansions, and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
DOOM had me laughing at the insanity of it for the first few hours for sure. Persona 5 was a bit of a slog at times, but ultimately I really enjoyed my time with the game and was sad when it ended. I think Horizon Zero Dawn definitely had me a bit because it looked so damn good and felt so good to play.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
This year I'd say Persona 5 was probably the biggest one for me. I know people have their complaints with the game, which are perfectly valid, but man, I just lost myself in it and I really enjoyed every minute. Dungeon crawling was so much fun here and I really enjoyed the direction of it all.

Was also really thrilled with Mario Odyssey. Not really surprised since I end up loving every game in the series in some way, but it's always so nice. Very relaxing to play through and the levels in this one really impressed me.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing through Psychonauts on and off for a while and this is my first time. I've laughed a few times out loud. And it reminds me of games from my childhood so I'm generally happy playing it. Those figments are a pain sometimes, though.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
South Park Fractured But Whole had me in grins the whole time. Maybe not from the gameplay but the writing was so on point. Destiny 2 was another one recently for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Trails in the Sky. The main character has this infectiously upbeat and naive personality that contrasts with the calm and collected snarky personality of her brother who is the other main character. The back and forth between the two of them keeps me entertained and happy for most of the game.

Oct 31, 2017
Besides Super Mario Odyssey, I would have to say before that it was Yakuza 0. That was my first introduction to the series and man, I love media that is super goofy that tries to take itself seriously.
2921100-thatsrad.gif

Liamario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't happen very often. Doom (2016), uncharted 2, the last of us, ninja gaiden, Devil may cry 3, freedom fighters, cod 4. They lived up to and surpassed expectations.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario World last week. I haven't really played that game much and have since forgotten secret exists, all tricks and techniques. It was pure joy to re-discover them again. Before that was Nioh during my first playthrough. Even though I died to 95 % of bosses, I just kept smiling that I will eventually beat them. Level design, environments, characters, guardian spirits... almost everything just clicked.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
-Super Mario Odyssey - The gameplay, the music, the characters. Everything is upbeat and the game wants you to have a good time. Cappy doesn't say a whole lot, which means that when he does say something, he's not annoying and I make sure to read it. So many little easter eggs and thoughtful small touches throughout that will make you smile.

-Golf Story —The dialogue is hilarious. The MC gets shat on by everyone but you know he'll just keep on being a good person. I loved the music and all the colorful art. Gameplay felt rewarding with just enough challenge. Loved reading all the lines that your character would think to himself while conversing with others.

-Zelda: BotW—Every time I died, I would crack up from whatever stupid thing I did. Loved the music, the cheerful (and not-so-cheerful) characters you meet, and I especially loved the things you got to say as Link. Sometimes Link is a straight-up savage with some of his responses lol. Whoever did the English translations for this game deserve serious recognition. It was also refreshing to be in control of my journey without a lot of hand-holding.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I've played quite a few games this year but not many that have brought true joy and "happiness". I'd say the last one was Nier: Automata. As grim as its story was, I think most of the game brings me joy when I play it. Such a lovely game.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games that made me feel genuinely happy this year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Persona 5 and Super Mario Odyssey.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
The last game I played that brought forth a bunch of emotion would have to be Yakuza 0. The smiling, laughing, disbelief, shock, anger (not at the game but at a character because of the story) all were present through my time with it. So good.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4, witcher 3 and Assassins Creed Origins were the last truly "happy gaming" experience without friends making it awesome. I enjoy destiny 2 when playing with a friend.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Stardew Valley on Switch makes me feel pretty happy. Game just has these nice little touches which elevate it beyond it's bare mechanics.

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Odyssey gets my vote too. Amidst all the wrinkle-browed stuff I've played lately it's a breeze of fresh air. I just find myself smiling, unless I'm at a frustrating part.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I've been pretty happy while playing Trails of Cold Steel recently. I can't really explain it, I just feel happy when I'm wandering around and talking to all the NPCs.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The pinnacle was playing Katamari Damacy for the first time.

Super Mario Odyssey is another contender, though.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite BR, the situations you end up in are just sensational, laughed for a full minute after one kill yesterday. Also SMO.

ManatuBear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thimbleweed Park - it felt almost like being back in the 90s playing Monkey Island.
What Remains of Edith Finch - Short, simple and emotional. Not much of a "game", more of an interactive story.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Lost Legacy OT here???

I started the game this weekend, but don't see one. Is our search function bad too? LOL

I don't think there is an OT here. Conversation sort of fizzled out in the Girls Trip thread elsewhere, mostly because UC4 haters couldn't find something to complain about.

Anyway, mine are:

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - The upbeat conversations interspersed with the action are pure Naughty Dog.
Zelda: BoTW - Usually gets me in unexpected moments where wacky things happen fighting enemies.
RE7 - Odd that such a miserable game did this, but the game is such a raucous funhouse with these electric bursts of set pieces, I couldn't help myself.
Sleeping Dogs - This game is ridiculous and cheesy and I want a pork bun.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Played Speedrunners a couple of weeks ago with some of our students. That had me laughing and whooping it up like I haven't in a while.

That is a game that makes you realize how special couch co-op experiences are.

Case

Nov 4, 2017
Brazil
It happened yesterday, while playing Zelda BotW.

Pure bliss. I was in so much awe that I was smiling the entire time, or crying,
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

BotW feels like magic. It's... It's so... Magical... That I can't even describe my experience with it in words.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Most recently, playing through Area X in Rez Infinite. I think I had a smile on my face the whole time. I also really enjoyed playing through Sonic Mania. And of course, BOTW is just a joy to play.

Speaking of BOTW, this may sound weird, but I really enjoy going back to the small island in the river close to central Hyrule. The one with all of the flowers and the lady that tends to them. Something about that little island is just...really soothing to me. I kind of jokingly call it my "happy place" and at the end of a long play session, I would just warp back there and just kinda unwind and reflect on the journey I just had.
Just always had to be careful not to step on the flowers lol

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey, without doubt. That game is damn near perfect to me, and the feeling of sheer, unadulterated joy is insane.

What a true gem of a game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight, everything about the game puts a smile on my face (except the White Palace) , the gorgeous art style, the challenging boss fights, the lore. It's a wonderful piece of entertainment.

Aigato

Oct 30, 2017
Manchester, UK
Yakuza 0 had me grinning like an idiot towards it's finale, I was near enough drooling waiting for "That meeting".

Sonic Mania, goddamn that was some nice, pure nostalgia even if the jumping SFX really drove me mad.

2017......Two Sega games bringing an emotion other than disappointment out in me? Better order Valkyria Revolution to sort that right out!.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Ys 8.

Nothing compares to the pure gameplay bliss of a good Ys game, and 8 is one of the best. The music rocking out as you decimate everything, getting that skill level up and watching your power explode...man. Just great.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished a total war campaign where i crushed my enemies and burned their homes (ok, not really, i just took them for myself).

Otherwise divnity OS 2 is awlays good for laughs. And Mario and Rabbits.