• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Update:

Two weeks ago, the Overwatch Contenders team Second Wind announced the acquisition of Ellie, a relatively unknown DPS player, for the upcoming season of Overwatch Contenders. Ellie would have been the first woman to play for a North American Overwatch Contenders team, following in the footsteps of Geguri in Overwatch League, but yesterday she stepped down from Second Wind after receiving harassment and threats of doxxing from people in the competitive Overwatch community.

Overwatch Contenders is essentially the minor league for Overwatch esports. Second Wind found Ellie thanks to an impressive performance on the NA Overwatch ladder, but with a feminine-sounding name and little online presence—Ellie rarely streamed and had a new Twitter account—some commenters on the Competitive Overwatch subreddit immediately questioned her skill.

"Don't know who tf this person is, must be a friend of someone on the team," read one comment.

"Is this a girl or another Korean guy with a girl name?" read another.

The whole situation is an unfortunate reminder of how unwelcome the esports world can be to women. Even now, following her decision to step down, many comments in the Competitive Overwatch subreddit still perpetuate the conspiracy theory.

The common refrain says that esports is a meritocracy, and women will succeed if they're good enough. In this case, Ellie clearly had the skill needed to play in Overwatch Contenders—the toxicity of the esports community prevented that from happening.
https://www.pcgamer.com/first-woman...after-conspiracy-theory-doubts-her-existence/

Fucking horrible :(

Last edited by a moderator:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does "Ellie" look like a Korean name? Are they actually comparing it to Kim?

I don't follow this stuff, but isn't there an Overwatch eSports league that got a lot of flack for lacking women? Is this the same thing?

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Players continue to be trash human beings.

I just read this same story too on Game Informer. Seems like she got wind of a doxxing attempt when someone sent her screens from a Discord room planning it. Terrible.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
There was some legitimate suspicion but people ran with it and of course took it to far.

The fact that we have 3 different contenders players vouching for her should have cleared it.

Tweet with an Australian contenders player, She also started getting harassed in game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"I don't understand why there aren't any women in e-sports"

That's why. That right there.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
"Don't know who tf this person is, must be a friend of someone on the team," read one comment.
Ah yes, only men can be good at video games. Women just get in through nepotism. Gotta love how no one ever challenges a man's skill, even if they're on a team with a 0-40 record.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I wonder why she kept herself private online, oh right because this shit happens!

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
And Geguri, the only current female professional Overwatch player, was initially accused of cheating because other players refused to believe that a woman could be as good as she was. Disgusting behavior from the community and Blizzard needs to do something about this. Gaming culture, and especially esports culture, is so toxic and awful.

PolarisLight

Nov 4, 2017
If a guy was in the same situation people would've been suspicious regardless. CSGO had a very similar situation and they ended up getting the guy to be tested live.

And Geguri, the only current female professional Overwatch player, was initially accused of cheating because other players refused to believe that a woman could be as good as she was. Disgusting behavior from the community and Blizzard needs to do something about this. Gaming culture, and especially esports culture, is so toxic and awful.

Don't spread falsities, when geguri was accused noone knew of her gender (confirmed by herself). Geguri was accused because of her extremely weird sensitivity.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly thought that this was the same story for a second.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yep, angsty virgins being angsty virgins. If eSports is going to join the modern age these teams need mature managers that will shut this shit down.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Damn, I always have huge respect for those who can stand this whole social beating. It's gotta be mentally exhausting to have people chasing you like this just because they don't like you.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Being skeptical of a woman a real shocker coming from the gaming community here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Of course they fucking did. Though I assume the harassment/doxxing wasn't by the pro male players? The title first gave that impression, because it says "male players" instead of "community". Nevertheless, this sucks and not sure how to fix it. As even deleting these comments wasn't enough on this case, the damage was already done. Steps like these (more women in esports) would be great in helping to fix the issue, but shit like this prevents even these small steps from happening.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Every single social media platform (including social online games) needs to be more proactive about harassment if anything is to ever change. There need to be repercussions , accounts terminated, people held accountable ect. It's so shitty it's allowed to happen when there are methods to at the very least counter it. These companies make enough money to hire teams of moderators. Get it done and protect others that this is happening to. She isn't the only one. I played enough Overwatch to get sick of the constant attacks and bickering. There are a lot of disgusting people who never even received a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wtf

even if it was hypothetically a guy with that name, what difference does it make in either case?? that's what I don't understand

that's some bullshit

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Overwatch is the most toxic game with the worst playerbase. Nothing else comes close. Not even LoL.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe they have minor league teams on esports 😂

I've been to a bunch of minor league baseball games in my life and I've never seen anyone take it so serious that they threaten players or even pay attention to the game. It's the minor leagues lol no one cares it's for cheap fun and player development.
As for this particular situation for this lady, it sucks ass. A small minority of loud people can be really shitty. But seriously, getting worked up over minor league video games 😂

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Of course they fucking did. Though I assume the harassment/doxxing wasn't by the pro male players? The title first gave that impression, because it says "male players" instead of "community". Nevertheless, this sucks and not sure how to fix it. As even deleting these comments wasn't enough on this case, the damage was already done. Steps like these (more women in esports) would be great in helping to fix the issue, but shit like this prevents even these small steps from happening.

Doxxing came from a Discord room led by a "high ranked" player apparently, though they themselves were banned.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...om-team-amidst-harassment-and-doxxing-threats

The GI article suggested that at least one OWL player was involved in the conspiracy theory part of it:
To prove her existence, Ellie streamed Overwatch with some other professional players, including a player named Punisher who her decriers were accusing her of being. If it convinced anyone, they were not quick to show it. Overwatch League player and Atlanta Reigns member Daniel "Dafran" Francesca pushed a theory during a stream that, despite Ellie talking on stream, she was merely providing fake commentary while "someone else is playing on his account."
I'd imagine he would have to be suspended for involvement in the harassment of another player, even if it's in a minor league.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How the hell does "Ellie" look like a Korean name? Are they actually comparing it to Kim?

I don't follow this stuff, but isn't there an Overwatch eSports league that got a lot of flack for lacking women? Is this the same thing?
there are two korean players I can think of that have handles that are womens names. Eileen is one. That comments really isn't bad in context (assuming it wasn't a troll post where the person knew full well what they were talking about).

It's sad tho, to look at this on twitter, there's a pretty popular sentiment that she actually quit because of too many people actually SUPPORTING her too much and she couldn't take the pressure. As in, 'stupid libtard sjws' ruining her career. It's infuriating.

Yea, there was some legitimate suspcion but she has played with 3 other contenders players and they haven't said anything against her.
Yep, surely the same 'legitimate' suspicion that would happen if it was just a regular old male player who was unknown. I'm sure Jjonak was totally harassed too.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

Not directly, but people that were playing with her in ranked games(meaning people in the OWL, Contenders, and Trials) reported that she only spoke at the beginning and the end of the matches(gee I wonder why a girl would avoid comms) and that if she did talk ingame, it was with a 5-10 second delay. AFAIK it wasn't a problem until she was playing with the ones that stream regularly. Manchildren on Twitch being manchildren, the streamers' twitch chats started making conspiracies. IIRC it was Dafran who first made the claim that somebody else was playing on that account for her due to the inconsistency between her ingame comms and her play. That brought down the horde of misogynists and the people 'just asking questions'.

Granted, it's unprecedented for someone to pop up fresh on a completely new account with no previous record and rocket straight up into the top 10 in Overwatch competitive but she had multiple people on her Contenders team vouching for her. She did one or two showcases of proof that had very mixed results(which I'm attributing entirely to being threatened, harassed, and having a known doxxer looking into her credentials affecting her gameplay) and now Reddit's sitting smarmy about how it's about ethics in Competitive Overwatch and how they'd do this for any no name. Lying fuckers.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Videogames continue to bring human garbage together. Not surprised in the slightest. Fuck these toxic shitheads.

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic, but not surprising at all. I'm glad I prefer single player games so I can just this eSports and the rest of the shit that comes with competitive gaming.

I wish she hadn't stepped down and just let skill speak for itself, but probably decided it wasn't worth the headache.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Doxxing came from a Discord room led by a "high ranked" player apparently, though they themselves were banned.
What does "high ranked" mean? Matchmaking rather than professional level? Playing matchmaking with randoms isn't esports.
Don't new players often come from "nowhere", if they don't have esports background before? Most people playing online are anonymous (women doubly so) and like the manager said she was scouted from the ladder.
Not directly, but people that were playing with her in ranked games(meaning people in the OWL, Contenders, and Trials) reported that she only spoke at the beginning and the end of the matches(gee I wonder why a girl would avoid comms) and that if she did talk ingame, it was with a 5-10 second delay. AFAIK it wasn't a problem until she was playing with the ones that stream regularly. Manchildren on Twitch being manchildren, the streamers' twitch chats started making conspiracies. IIRC it was Dafran who first made the claim that somebody else was playing on that account for her due to the inconsistency between her ingame comms and her play. That brought down the horde of misogynists and the people 'just asking questions'.

Granted, it's unprecedented for someone to pop up fresh on a completely new account with no previous record and rocket straight up into the top 10 in Overwatch competitive but she had multiple people on her Contenders team vouching for her. She did one or two showcases of proof that had very mixed results(which I'm attributing entirely to being threatened, harassed, and having a known doxxer looking into her credentials affecting her gameplay) and now Reddit's sitting smarmy about how it's about ethics in Competitive Overwatch and how they'd do this for any no name. Lying fuckers.
Thanks for the clarification, don't follow Overwatch so I'm bit out of the loop.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What does "high ranked" mean? Matchmaking rather than professional level? Playing matchmaking with randoms isn't esports.
Don't new players often come from "nowhere", if they don't have esports background before? Most people playing online are anonymous and like the manager said she was scouted from the ladder.

Dafran is a top 30 ladder player and was recently picked up for a new OWL team. He also runs a discord and streams on twitch. Hes always on some bullshit "trolling" ect

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It still boggles me a little that one of the most progressive AAA gaming franchises has a fandom full of people that just outright hate minorities.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
there are two korean players I can think of that have handles that are womens names. Eileen is one. That comments really isn't bad in context (assuming it wasn't a troll post where the person knew full well what they were talking about).

It's sad tho, to look at this on twitter, there's a pretty popular sentiment that she actually quit because of too many people actually SUPPORTING her too much and she couldn't take the pressure. As in, 'stupid libtard sjws' ruining her career. It's infuriating.

Yep, surely the same 'legitimate' suspicion that would happen if it was just a regular old male player who was unknown. I'm sure Jjonak was totally harassed too.

Eileen is actually Chinese, Michelle from Dynasty is one though. Another Chinese player Ameng from Hunters changed his name from Vanessa.

JJonak was around a while and had a history, she popped up a few season ago, twitter started up in December, she was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.