• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But wasn't the fact that she appeared out of nowhere evidence? Keep in mind I'm saying this as someone who believed she was legitimate.

Mayyybe, but if any other pro appeared out of nowhere but their identity was divorced from all this gender stuff, do you think people would have been as objectionable?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yikes...I feel like an idiot making this now...maybe mods should delete this and someone make a new one for the new scenario?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But wasn't the fact that she appeared out of nowhere evidence? Keep in mind I'm saying this as someone who believed she was legitimate.

The way I viewed the situation wasn't very "journalistic" of me. I assumed that if she had joined the team that they had vetted her, and just because Reddit thought she was some random didn't indicate to me that it might be true. Players you've never heard of from soloq are accepted into the minor leagues for comp games all the time i.e. League of Legend's Academy teams.

I assumed that she was vetted. I don't think it's wrong of anyone to assume that she was because, well, you kind of expect an organization to do the bare minimum when picking up a player.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If their experiment was to see how embarassing they could make themselves then they succeeded.

It's like a reverse "___ to own the libs".

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how did the new account got at the top so fast? he/she changed her name? or what?

Oct 25, 2017
if gamers are going to harass literally every single woman in esports with these sort of accusations, eventually by sheer luck they will find *someone* who is actually guilty

if you have a 99% false positive rate you don't get to be proud of when you hit that 1% true positive! that's just not how statistics works!

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
The way I viewed the situation wasn't very "journalistic" of me. I assumed that if she had joined the team that they had vetted her, and just because Reddit thought she was some random didn't indicate to me that it might be true. Players you've never heard of from soloq are accepted into the minor leagues for comp games all the time i.e. League of Legend's Academy teams.

I assumed that she was vetted. I don't think it's wrong of anyone to assume that she was because, well, you kind of expect an organization to do the bare minimum when picking up a player.
You would be right to think so if this was OWL. But this is Contenders where the level of background checks and Blizzard scrutiny is way way way lower.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Like what was the fucking goal of this
To reaffirm that there were,nin fact, shitty people in the OW community? A faux-gaslight attempt? I just don't understand

God damn why can't you esports clowns be normal

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
It is amazing how SW didn't vet her. Or maybe they got too trigger happy due to their Captain's remarks and made a announcement before actually testing her out? Either scenario makes SW look like idiots unfortunately.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yikes...I feel like an idiot making this now...maybe mods should delete this and someone make a new one for the new scenario?
Someone was still getting harassed and possibly about to be doxxed. Everyone against that behavior is still in the right and nothing changes this.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It is amazing how SW didn't vet her. Or maybe they got too trigger happy due to their Captain's remarks and made a announcement before actually testing her out? Either scenario makes SW look like idiots unfortunately.

Wouldn't they be in the know? Aren't they the ones responsible for this?

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mayyybe, but if any other pro appeared out of nowhere but their identity was divorced from all this gender stuff, do you think people would have been as objectionable?

Literally yes. Yes.

Like I said before if this were Fortnite I would 100% believe it. There is no ranked system in Fortnite and the esports scene is in its infancy. We see new rising stars every month.

OW is the opposite. Most high-level players in OW know each other in some capacity because that's how top 500 works. You are repeatedly matched against other top 500 players. Almost no one had ever played with her, there was never a confirmation of anyone playing with her, she had never been on a pro team. She literally came out of nowhere.

Her being female only adds fuel to the smoke because there are obviously very few female pros.

So basically there's a ton of reasons to speculate. Is it okay to harass her due to the suspicious circumstances? Absolutely not. Was there a ton of misogynistic people who jumped at the chance to attack a woman in gaming due to the legitimacy of the suspicions? Yes. Is it okay to believe her regardless of those circumstances? Yes, of course, and I did.

There were people who were labeling everyone who dared to question this a sexist or misogynist. That just ain't right.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

We already know the answer to that. There were plenty of people on Reddit and Twitter questioning this simply based on her damn first name being that of a female.

Plus, the entire thing started from a male player being sexist in the first place, apparently.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017

No one comes out of nowhere though. In order to get high ranking, you need to play the game with other people, and the top of the ladder is a very small pool of players. You'll be constantly playing with the same pool of players. If you're good enough, people will eventually know of you. If you're already placing in top 500 and no one knows who you are, then people will assume you're somebody everybody knows that changed their battle tag.

Scrutiny on players has usually come down to whether they're aim botting or not.

If it's the case of some rando being added to a roster, then yeah I would imagine that the same scrutiny in terms of identity would be applied. The only difference in this situation was the player in question identified as female which had another toxic subset of people come out of the woodwork.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I called it wild because it lacked evidence. And there wasn't. There was just some guessing and never any hard proof.

But there was evidence -- the most obvious being that you can't really just come out of nowhere in overwatch due to the matchmaking system. The second being twitch clips from her stream before she had another person start to play on her account. The third being her complete lack of callouts in game and delayed responses over voice chat.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Literally yes. Yes.

Like I said before if this were Fortnite I would 100% believe it. There is no ranked system in Fortnite and the esports scene is in its infancy. We see new rising stars every month.

OW is the opposite. Most high-level players in OW know each other in some capacity because that's how top 500 works. You are repeatedly matched against other top 500 players. Almost no one had ever played with her, there was never a confirmation of anyone playing with her, she had never been on a pro team. She literally came out of nowhere.

Her being female only adds fuel to the smoke because there are obviously very few female pros.

So basically there's a ton of reasons to speculate. Is it okay to harass her due to the suspicious circumstances? Absolutely not. Was there a ton of misogynistic people who jumped at the chance to attack a woman in gaming due to the legitimacy of the suspicions? Yes. Is it okay to believe her regardless of those circumstances? Yes, of course, and I did.

There were people who were labeling everyone who dared to question this a sexist or misogynist. That just ain't right.

You can pay to change your name in OW, though right? Or is there a list of aliases? Or am I just conflating OW with another Blizzard game? It seems like top 500 people should run into names they don't recognize not that infrequently.

FWIW, I agree with you, though. If the system works the way you say it does, I think it's reasonable for anyone to be skeptical.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This could potentially make shit even harder for legitimate women who have real skills in the games they love. Fucking stupid.

What was the end game for the conspirators and how did they not expect to get caught? Wouldn't she have been forced to play live eventually?

Baffling that you wouldn't get the person on cam playing with comms before you sign them to your pro team.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
If anything shouldn't the media outlets get some flack for fueling and fanning the flames when they could have and should have pressed the team for details, instead of publicizing reddit's rumour mongering?

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FWIW, I agree with you, though. If the system works the way you say it does, I think it's reasonable for anyone to be skeptical.[/QUOTE]
This makes shit even harder for legitimate women who have real skills in the games they love. Fucking stupid.

What was the end game for the conspirators and how did they not expect to get caught? Wouldn't she have been forced to play live eventually?

Baffling that you wouldn't get the person on cam playing with comms before you sign them to your pro team.

Please read the whole thread before posting. It's been basically proven several times that SW was in on it.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Please read the thread before posting.

I read the OP, it says SW announced two weeks ago they added Ellie to their main roster. If I'm reading this correctly, that means they already vetted her gameplay and found her to be in line with their needs. So....either they didn't vet good enough, got duped, or knew and let it go down to this. If I'm missing anything, please help me out.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything shouldn't the media outlets get some flack for fueling and fanning the flames when they could have and should have pressed the team for details, instead of publicizing reddit's rumour mongering?

Outlets did reach out to both Ellie and Second Wind without receiving any comments. Reporting the news isn't fanning the flames, it's reporting the news.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read the OP, it says SW announced two weeks ago they added Ellie to their main roster. If I'm reading this correctly, that means they already vetted her gameplay and found her to be in line with their needs. So....either they didn't vet good enough, got duped, or knew and let it go down to this. If I'm missing anything, please help me out.

Believe it or not there are several other posts subsequent to the OP that might illuminate things for you.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
As an aside, I've seen another thread that referenced threadmarks but I'm not 100% sure how to navigate directly to them, especially on larger threads. I checked the 2.0 features guide and it seems that marked posts are supposed to appear in the first post or something but I don't see that on the mobile version of the site. I figure I'm missing something obvious or something.

At the top 0f each page (top-right on desktop), you'll see "Staff Posts" drop-down with links to the staff posts. It's pretty neat.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
FWIW, I agree with you, though. If the system works the way you say it does, I think it's reasonable for anyone to be skeptical.

Please read the whole thread before posting. It's been basically proven several times that SW was in on it.[/QUOTE]

Tbh, to go down the path of SW knowing brings it into the realm of wtf so much I'm keeping my mind open cause the alternative is utter stupidity on the part of SW. Like sheer Blizzard murdering headchopping stupidity.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can pay to change your name in OW, though right? Or is there a list of aliases? Or am I just conflating OW with another Blizzard game? It seems like top 500 people should run into names they don't recognize not that infrequently.

If it were a region other than NA I would be a lot less skeptical but the NA scene is so thoroughly developed it's just really unlikely for this to happen.

Also if you change your name it doesn't get rid of your previous playtime. That could be explained away by her just getting a new account but again a new account just adds more of a reason to be suspicious in the first place.

This whole situation sucks for so many reasons. Hopefully the responsible party is identified quickly whether it's Punisher, Second Wind as a whole, or whatever.

Second Wind stated after they signed her they didn't intend for her to play right away so no.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
As someone who's only played overwatch twice, I'm completely lost. Ellie doesn't exist? She was an experiment? Huh?

Can someone please summarize this?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Haha, it turns out they actually were justified in sexually harassing this person" is one hell of a take, guys.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it were a region other than NA I would be a lot less skeptical but the NA scene is so thoroughly developed it's just really unlikely for this to happen.

Also if you change your name it doesn't get rid of your previous playtime. That could be explained away by her just getting a new account but again a new account just adds more of a reason to be suspicious in the first place.

This whole situation sucks for so many reasons. Hopefully the responsible party is identified quickly whether it's Punisher, Second Wind as a whole, or whatever.

It's not impossible to imagine a scenario where a woman plays ranked on one account (in this case, probably staying off mic), gets signed, and creates a new account for branding or whatever.

Either way, I definitely agree with you that between the new account, new twitter page, all the circumstantial stuff about coms and late callouts etc. that there was more than enough reason to be skeptical.

"Haha, it turns out they actually were justified in sexually harassing this person" is one hell of a take, guys.

Just a heads up, you can click the "quote" button on the post you want to reply to to include it in your message. That way it's clear who you're responding to and you don't look like someone just tilting at windmills.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's only played overwatch twice, I'm completely lost. Ellie doesn't exist? She was an experiment? Huh?

A dumbass though it would be cool to create a girlsona and compete in contenders in a team whose captain said no women should play in high ranked games. That caused a witchhunt in someone that wasn't real and revealed the worse the community has to offer and the path to be a female OWL player just got much harder cause this precedent implies every new female player might have to go through that level of scrutiny to play in contenders NA

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

We don't have all the pieces, We know that a male player by the name of Punisher is the one playing on the Ellie account.

Running theory is that after Haku, Captain of Second Wind, made and apologies for some sexist remarks Ellie came into existence and signed with Second Wind days later, whether it was Haku trying to clear himself of being sexist or Punisher trying to mess with him is unclear.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people showed some hardcore ass in here. Can't say I'm too surprised, as this whole charade was designed to stir shit. Don't fall for jebaits, folks!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I think a big summary will be coming and articles detailing all the events, but in a nut shell a very high ranking Overwatch team faked that a player who happened to be female was part of the team. I would wait to hear their reasons because right now it's all speculation as to why they did it.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Hold up, lemme see if I got this right:

- Female is really good at OW
- She joins an OW team
- Turns out she's not the one playing
- She gets found out
- Turns out whole story was orchestrated by a male to justify his earlier sexist comments

Am I getting this right?

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A dumbass though it would be cool to create a girlsona and compete in contenders in a team whose captain said no women should play in high ranked games. That caused a witchhunt in someone that wasn't real and revealed the worse the community has to offer and the path to be a female OWL player just got much harder cause this precedent implies every new female player might have to go through that level of scrutiny to play in contenders NA

We don't know if it WAS one dumbass yet though. All we know is that Ellie isn't real. Jayne, an Overwatch coach and streamer, suggested there was more to the story maybe even Second Wind being behind this.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Impossible to prove one way or the other at this point, but I think there's a lot of percentage in assuming that this is Haku cooking up a bunch of heat about a woman player so he can do a big reveal and go "oh this really good player you thought was woman was actually a man the whole time, checkmate feminists I WAS RIGHT :smug:."

Obviously that's an incredibly stupid idea, and if its true he executed it very poorly, but that seems thematically consistent with everything else we know about him lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.